Gooseberry Crumble

I predict the grim reaper is going to be 'like a super strong enema 'in 2020

I've got a very strong feeling and sense that 2020 is going to be a watershed, landmark end of an era kind of year as we embark upon a new decade. 

I think a lot of big or significant names will finally pass away next year. More so than in 2016 a year many highlight as being a big year for celebrity/famous deaths.

Prince Philip, Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas  amongst the names I expect to fall next year as well as current and former world leaders like Mikhail Gorbachev, Jimmy Carter, Sultan of Oman etc

More of the winning England 1966 football team as well sadly  are likely.

Anybody else got the feeling that 2020 in terms of not just the official deathlist but wider deadpooling or famous deaths is going to be an unusually big momentous year?

PS Hope the crude metaphor does not offend!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Nah, I'm done for metaphors after Spade's "2019 deaths = tomato ketchup precum" one earlier this year.

And yeah, given the way the dominoes are placed, 2020 feels like a big year in waiting...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, msc said:

Nah, I'm done for metaphors after Spade's "2019 deaths = tomato ketchup precum" one earlier this year.

And yeah, given the way the dominoes are placed, 2020 feels like a big year in waiting...

I must have missed the precum metaphor which shocks me a little as I'm not normally one to miss precum!!:lol:;)

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1

I'm not sure if the Sultan of Oman will make it even to 2020.

• Like 1

Just now, Prophet said:

I'm not sure if the Sultan of Oman will make it even to 2020.

Only 3 days to go but yes you could very well be right.

• Like 1

Yeah, definitely feels like a massive 2020 is going to happen...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I must have missed the precum metaphor which shocks me a little as I'm not normally one to miss precum!!:lol:;)

:o:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It feels like every leap year the grim reaper is most active. 2016 and 2012 was big year for celebrity deaths.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, definitely feels like a massive 2020 is going to happen...

Just looking at some of the names "on the DL clock" as it were - Prince Philip, Jimmy Carter, Gorbachev - would classify it as a notable year alone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeathClock said:

It feels like every leap year the grim reaper is most active. 2016 and 2012 was big year for celebrity deaths.

Oh I didnt realise 2012 was one of those years?Just trying to enter the recesses of my mind to think who died in that year?I know Margaret Thatcher was 2013.

1 minute ago, msc said:

Just looking at some of the names "on the DL clock" as it were - Prince Philip, Jimmy Carter, Gorbachev - would classify it as a notable year alone.

Also if Kirk and Olivia went that would be a milestone in terms of the golden age of Hollywood?If enough legendary soap icons also passed away eg Barbara Windsor, Julie Goodyear, June Brown that too would feel watershed and notable in terms of popular culture. 

Well this is a very Christmassy type thread!

Image result for santa enema

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh I didnt realise 2012 was one of those years?Just trying to enter the recesses of my mind to think who died in that year?I know Margaret Thatcher was 2013.

It was more busy with celebrity deaths in the U.S. than in the U.K. IIRC a few names are Whitney Houston, Neil Armstrong, Andy Griffith, Etta James, Richard Dawson, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Aren't you in luck?

I had a look over my "year in memoriam" from 2012 and just going for the names that made the BBC front page/news:

Bob Holness, Etta James, Dick Tufeld, Frederick Treves, Angelo Dundee, Ben Gazzara, Tripods author John Christopher, Whitney Houston, David Kelly, Peter Halliday, Frank Carson, Marie Colvin, Davy Jones off the Monkees, Norman St-John Stevas, Philip Madoc, the King of Tonga, Jocky Wilson, Bert Sugar, Mike Wallace, Dick Clark, Levon Helm, Greg Ham, Bert Weedon, Jack Ashley, Joel Goldsmith, Yekini, Adam Yauch, Maurice Sendak, Vidal Sassoon, Al Megrahi, Robin Gibb, Kathryn Joosten, Ray Fn Bradbury, Caroline John and Mary Tamm off Dr Who, Frank Cady, Rodney King, Brian Hibbard, Victor Spinetti, Anthony Bate, James Grout, Nora Ephron, Yitzak Shamir, Eric Sykes, Ernie Borgnine, Jon Lord,  Celeste Holm, Simon Ward, Alastair Burnet, Angharad Rees, Sally Ride, Geoffrey Hughes, Tony Martin, Maeve Binchy, Gore Vidal, Bernard Lovell, Marvin Hamlisch, Sid Waddell, Henry Harrison, Scott McKenzie, Tony Scott, Dom Mintoff, Nina Bawden, Phylis Diller, Neil Armstrong, Max Bygraves, Hal David, Michael Clarke Duncan, Joe South, Terry Nutkins, Derej Jameson, John Bond, Andy Williams, Herbert Lom, Marsha Singh and Malcolm Wicks (current MPs who died young), Eric Hobsbawm, Big Jim Sullivan, Alex Karras, George McGovern, Clive Dunn, Bill Tarmey, Roger Hammond, Larry Hagman, Dinah Sheridan, Dave Sexton, Oscar Niemeyer, Dave Brubeck, Patrick Moore, Ravi Shankar, Kenneth Kendall, Daniel Inouye, Jack Klugman, Charles Durning, Richard Rodney Bennett, Gerry Anderson, Norman Schwarzkopf, Harry Carey Jr, William Rees-Mogg, Tony Greig.

*takes breath*

At the time it felt like the biggest year of death ever, until 2014 happened. And then 2016 blew everything out of the water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

It was more busy with celebrity deaths in the U.S. than in the U.K. IIRC a few names are Whitney Houston, Neil Armstrong, Andy Griffith, Etta James, Richard Dawson, etc. 

Arr Whitney of course :( 

11 minutes ago, msc said:

Aren't you in luck?

I had a look over my "year in memoriam" from 2012 and just going for the names that made the BBC front page/news:

Bob Holness, Etta James, Dick Tufeld, Frederick Treves, Angelo Dundee, Ben Gazzara, Tripods author John Christopher, Whitney Houston, David Kelly, Peter Halliday, Frank Carson, Marie Colvin, Davy Jones off the Monkees, Norman St-John Stevas, Philip Madoc, the King of Tonga, Jocky Wilson, Bert Sugar, Mike Wallace, Dick Clark, Levon Helm, Greg Ham, Bert Weedon, Jack Ashley, Joel Goldsmith, Yekini, Adam Yauch, Maurice Sendak, Vidal Sassoon, Al Megrahi, Robin Gibb, Kathryn Joosten, Ray Fn Bradbury, Caroline John and Mary Tamm off Dr Who, Frank Cady, Rodney King, Brian Hibbard, Victor Spinetti, Anthony Bate, James Grout, Nora Ephron, Yitzak Shamir, Eric Sykes, Ernie Borgnine, Jon Lord,  Celeste Holm, Simon Ward, Alastair Burnet, Angharad Rees, Sally Ride, Geoffrey Hughes, Tony Martin, Maeve Binchy, Gore Vidal, Bernard Lovell, Marvin Hamlisch, Sid Waddell, Henry Harrison, Scott McKenzie, Tony Scott, Dom Mintoff, Nina Bawden, Phylis Diller, Neil Armstrong, Max Bygraves, Hal David, Michael Clarke Duncan, Joe South, Terry Nutkins, Derej Jameson, John Bond, Andy Williams, Herbert Lom, Marsha Singh and Malcolm Wicks (current MPs who died young), Eric Hobsbawm, Big Jim Sullivan, Alex Karras, George McGovern, Clive Dunn, Bill Tarmey, Roger Hammond, Larry Hagman, Dinah Sheridan, Dave Sexton, Oscar Niemeyer, Dave Brubeck, Patrick Moore, Ravi Shankar, Kenneth Kendall, Daniel Inouye, Jack Klugman, Charles Durning, Richard Rodney Bennett, Gerry Anderson, Norman Schwarzkopf, Harry Carey Jr, William Rees-Mogg, Tony Greig.

*takes breath*

At the time it felt like the biggest year of death ever, until 2014 happened. And then 2016 blew everything out of the water.

Gosh thanks.Much more extensive than I was expecting. I as a former big soap fan had forgotten about Bill Tarmey :ninja:

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Gosh thanks.Much more extensive than I was expecting. I as a former big soap fan had forgotten about Bill Tarmey :ninja:

Patrick Moore remains the most annoying DL miss because he was still on TV doing Sky at Night, so each month you could visibly watch him get frailer and frailer till his last episode he could barely get a single sentence out. Then died less than a week later.

16 minutes ago, msc said:

Patrick Moore remains the most annoying DL miss because he was still on TV doing Sky at Night, so each month you could visibly watch him get frailer and frailer till his last episode he could barely get a single sentence out. Then died less than a week later.

He was a favourite of mine eccentric but benign but yes his decline was too obviously chronicled in real time.I had three big bereavements in 2011 so a lot of news events etc in 2012 just never really lodged themselves in my mind and  memory during that period as I was all consumed by my own situation.

I only started death listing in 2014 and 2016 was the first year that felt epic or big in that sense.

Pre deathlisting 1990 and 1998 to me felt like big years from my perspective. 

1990 Barbara Stanwyck,Greta Garbo,  Ava Gardner, Sammy Davis jnr ,Roald Dahl, Rex Harrison. 

1998 Linda McCartney,Tammy Wynette,Frank Sinatra , Sonny Bono,  Roddy McDowell, Ted Hughes. 

2005 also  felt big when the Pope ,Prince Rainier of Monaco , Jim Callaghan and Ted Heath all died in quick succession in an almost cluster.

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

2005 also  felt big when the Pope ,Prince Rainier of Monaco , Jim Callaghan and Ted Heath all died in quick succession in an almost cluster.

1998 was Dermot Morgan and Ted Hughes. Big year!

Ted Heath of course used to play the DDP...

I made that up.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, msc said:

1998 was Dermot Morgan and Ted Hughes. Big year!

Ted Heath of course used to play the DDP...

I made that up.

Also Pol Pot in 1998.

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think a lot of big or significant names will finally pass away next year. More so than in 2016 a year many highlight as being a big year for celebrity/famous deaths.

Without checking, my memory of 2016 is that it was more of a "didn't see that coming" year.

• Like 1

I agree.When compiling my DDP entry there are loads of names that are unlikely to make 2021 and that is  just those on deadpoolers radars.

• Like 1