Gooseberry Crumble

I predict the grim reaper is going to be 'like a super strong enema 'in 2020

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Without checking, my memory of 2016 is that it was more of a "didn't see that coming" year.

I think in truth you are probably closer to the truth in that more nuanced description. But it did 'feel' big.

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

I agree.When compiling my DDP entry there are loads of names that are unlikely to make 2021 and that is  just those on deadpoolers radars.

Indeed, Prince Philip, Vera Lynn, Pope Benedict, Kirk Douglas, Sultan of Oman, Jimmy Carter,Leslie Phillips, Nobby Stiles just being some of the more obvious ones.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think in truth you are probably closer to the truth in that more nuanced description. But it did 'feel' big.

Yeah but what Toast is saying is most of those big names such as Carrie Fisher Victoria Wood Prince David Bowie Alan Rickman Victoria Wood Debbie Reynolds Gene Wilder Terry Wogan Paul Daniels Denise Robertson Ronnie Corbett and George Michael were not names we expected to go when they did.I mean most of these names were not seriously on anyone's radar when they died.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Indeed, Prince Philip, Vera Lynn, Pope Benedict, Kirk Douglas, Sultan of Oman, Jimmy Carter,Leslie Phillips, Nobby Stiles just being some of the more obvious ones.

Well they were all on my radar but most are now worthless as are worth so few points.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t necessarily call Gene Wilder or Debbie Reynolds shocking. They were already in their mid 80s you know...

12 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Wouldn’t necessarily call Gene Wilder or Debbie Reynolds shocking. They were already in their mid 80s you know...

Yeah but Gene's dementia was not known and Debbie wasn't exactly known to be in poor health before Carrie died and she had a massive stroke the next day (which I predicted).

31 minutes ago, Sean said:

Yeah but what Toast is saying is most of those big names such as Carrie Fisher Victoria Wood Prince David Bowie Alan Rickman Victoria Wood Debbie Reynolds Gene Wilder Terry Wogan Paul Daniels Denise Robertson Ronnie Corbett and George Michael were not names we expected to go when they did.I mean most of these names were not seriously on anyone's radar when they died.

Yes I think that's right and that feeling was particularly heightened by the double shock of famous mother and daughter Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds dying within days of each other. I think deadpooling aside or if deadpooling didn't exist then 2016 in itself would have been classed as a big year for celebrity deaths regardless-in large measure because so many of the big names were unexpected. I suspect 2020 will be a different version of this in the sense that lots of big iconic/significant names will die ,a higher number than typical but the bulk of those names will not be unexpected .There will just be an awful lot of them.That is my take on the issue.2020 has watershed,end of an era kind of vibes about it in my opinion .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Are you expecting the new year to be like an enema?!:D

No but I am expecting a lot of douches to die.....:lol:

• Haha 3

I had Gene and Debbie on my list, in 2016.

17 minutes ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

I had Gene and Debbie on my list, in 2016.

Aye, them and 3 billion others!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

I didn't say "shocking", did I?    I used the phrase "didn't see that coming".  

There were a number of people who were not publicly known to be terminally ill, and their deaths were unexpected outside their personal circles.

3 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I've got a very strong feeling and sense that 2020 is going to be a watershed, landmark end of an era kind of year as we embark upon a new decade. 

I think a lot of big or significant names will finally pass away next year. More so than in 2016 a year many highlight as being a big year for celebrity/famous deaths.

Prince Philip, Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas  amongst the names I expect to fall next year as well as current and former world leaders like Mikhail Gorbachev, Jimmy Carter, Sultan of Oman etc

More of the winning England 1966 football team as well sadly  are likely.

Anybody else got the feeling that 2020 in terms of not just the official deathlist but wider deadpooling or famous deaths is going to be an unusually big momentous year?

PS Hope the crude metaphor does not offend!

I too do think 2020 (or maybe 2021) will be poised to be a big year in terms of celebrity deaths.  Although we did lose a lot of celebrities this year, most of them aren't really too high profile, and were more second tier.  

But we've got some big names down the pike that the Grim Reaper is anxious to claim their souls including Jimmy Carter, Prince Phillip, Alex Trebek, Larry King, Kirk Douglas, Olivia Newton-John, Sean Connery, and so forth.  I also think we will have a truly shocking death of a young celebrity, and not an "up and comer" type, but an A-lister celebrity who will likely die by either suicide or drug overdose (think Robin Williams or Philip Seymour Hoffman level).  I predict that we will see the death of one (or maybe even more) of the following in 2020 or 2021: Lindsey Lohan, Britney Spears (she has been deteriorating mentally lately and sadly I think she could end up taking her own life or suffer a suicide by cop similar to Vanessa Marquez), Amanda Bynes, Demi Lovato (she will relapse and not survive this time around, she won't cheat death twice), Pete Davidson, Tekashi69, Lil' Wayne (or another high profile hip hop artist), and one or two big name celebrities connected to Jeffrey Epstein.  

I also await Bill Cosby to croak.  He will die in disgrace like Joe Paterno.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DeathClock said:

It feels like every leap year the grim reaper is most active. 2016 and 2012 was big year for celebrity deaths.

2018 was a big year for celebrity deaths as well.  We lost President George H.W. Bush, John McCain, Stan Lee, Dr. Stephen Hawking, Aretha Franklin, Burt Reynolds, Neil Simon, Kofi Annan, Barbara Bush, Steven Bochco, Reverend Billy Graham, Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries, Anthony Bourdain, Harlan Ellison, R. Lee Ermey, Kate Spade, Mac Miller, and many others.  I think though 2018 we had more higher profile deaths.

2016 was the worst year in terms of the number of high profile celebrities who died, as well as all the shocking deaths.  2009 was also a very bad year (we lost Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, etc.)

• Like 1

As always there will be some left field deaths that come at us out of nowhere. Bowie wasn't picked in 2016 for the DDP. By anyone. Some folk this year have picked up unique hits either because they stuck with names they had been picking for years, or the stars aligned right for them.

Whether it will be a huge year for deaths nobody really knows. I guess if we lost three or four Drop 40-ers in the first 3 months, it's going to look bad. But remember, 2016 stacked up corpses fairly consistently and didn't stop until just before year's end. Just a torrent, at points the Beeb's website looked like a solid obituary page. That was the shocking thing.

Even more shocking was my performance in deadpools that year. 2018 been best so far, but we'll see. My main team is so far left field Jeremy Corbyn is standing for caretaker leader. ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, msc said:

Aye, them and 3 billion others!

So I'm a whore, what's wrong with that?  ;) :P

I'm agreeing with the sentiments expressed here. I also predict that there will be a major death on February 29, just because. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hemlock said:

I'm agreeing with the sentiments expressed here. I also predict that there will be a major death on February 29, just because. 

Any particular name in mind or that you wish to suggest?

8 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I've got a very strong feeling and sense that 2020 is going to be a watershed, landmark end of an era kind of year as we embark upon a new decade. 

I think a lot of big or significant names will finally pass away next year. More so than in 2016 a year many highlight as being a big year for celebrity/famous deaths.

Prince Philip, Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas  amongst the names I expect to fall next year as well as current and former world leaders like Mikhail Gorbachev, Jimmy Carter, Sultan of Oman etc

More of the winning England 1966 football team as well sadly  are likely.

Anybody else got the feeling that 2020 in terms of not just the official deathlist but wider deadpooling or famous deaths is going to be an unusually big momentous year?

PS Hope the crude metaphor does not offend!

I think you could be right. 2020 does have a kind of end of an era feel to it. Hopefully the end of the Trump era ! 

• Like 2

No, it will be a year like many others. I'd be happy if it takes the "how the fuck are they still alive" names, and here is a quick list:

*Vera Lynn :dead:

*Daniel arap Moi  :dead:

*Manolis Glezos :dead:

*K. Anbazhagan :dead:

*Thich Nhat Hahn

*KIrk Douglas:dead:

*Nobby Stiles :dead:

*Joanne Woodward

*Monica Vitti

*Giorgio Napolitano

*Franca Valeri :dead:

*Mikhail Gorbachev

*Hau Pei-tsun :dead:

*Lee Teng-hui :dead:

*Norman Lloyd

*Everton Weekes :dead:

*BALBIR SINGH :dead:

*DILIP KUMAR

*Kane Tanaka

*Tun Tin :dead:

*At least on/two North Korea senior politicians, as NONE died in 2019 (Hwang sun-hui :dead:)

*Hyun Soong-jong :dead:

*Clarissa Eden

*Akintola Williams

*Kenneth Kaunda

*Jiang Zemin

*Zhu Rongji

*Saalumarada Thimmaka

*Ruthie Thompson

*Jiao Ruoyu :dead:

*Song Ping

*Jack Steinberger :dead:

*Chen Nin-yang and Tsung Dao-lee

*Beverly Cleary :dead:

*Carl Reiner :dead:

*Rhonda Fleming :dead:

*Mustafa ben Halim

*Abdelaziz Bouteflika

*Pervez Musharraf

*Violeta Chamorro

*June Lockhart

*Kenneth Cope

And I could continue for hours. Plenty of work to do, not even half will be done in 2020...

35 minutes ago, drol said:

No, it will be a year like many others. I'd be happy if it takes the "how the fuck are they still alive" names, and here is a quick list:

*Vera Lynn

*Daniel arap Moi

*Manolis Glezos

*K. Anbazhagan

*Thich Nhat Hahn

*KIrk Douglas

*Nobby Stiles

*Joanne Woodward

*Monica Vitti

*Giorgio Napolitano

*Franca Valeri

*Mikhail Gorbachev

*Hau Pei-tsun

*Lee Teng-hui

*Norman Lloyd

*Everton Weekes

*BALBIR SINGH

*DILIP KUMAR

*Kane Tanaka

*Tun Tin

*At least on/two North Korea senior politicians, as NONE died in 2019

*Hyun Soong-jong

*Clarissa Eden

*Akintola Williams

*Kenneth Kaunda

*Jiang Zemin

*Zhu Rongji

*Saalumarada Thimmaka

*Ruthie Thompson

*Jiao Ruoyu

*Song Ping

*Jack Steinberger

*Beverly Cleary

*Carl Reiner

*Rhonda Fleming

*Mustafa ben Halim

*Abdelaziz Bouteflika

*Pervez Musharraf

*Violeta Chamorro

*June Lockhart

*Kenneth Cope

And I could continue for hours. Plenty of work to do, not even half will be done in 2020...

Given your now legendary post at the start of the 'Dead of 2019' thread, we can safely assume that all these people are goners next year (apart from Dilip)

1 hour ago, drol said:

*Vera Lynn

*Daniel arap Moi

*Manolis Glezos

*K. Anbazhagan

*Thich Nhat Hahn

*KIrk Douglas

*Nobby Stiles

*Joanne Woodward

*Monica Vitti

*Giorgio Napolitano

*Franca Valeri

*Mikhail Gorbachev

*Hau Pei-tsun

*Lee Teng-hui

*Norman Lloyd

*Everton Weekes

*BALBIR SINGH

*DILIP KUMAR

*Kane Tanaka

*Tun Tin

*At least on/two North Korea senior politicians, as NONE died in 2019

*Hyun Soong-jong

*Clarissa Eden

*Akintola Williams

*Kenneth Kaunda

*Jiang Zemin

*Zhu Rongji

*Saalumarada Thimmaka

*Ruthie Thompson

*Jiao Ruoyu

*Song Ping

*Jack Steinberger

*Beverly Cleary

*Carl Reiner

*Rhonda Fleming

*Mustafa ben Halim

*Abdelaziz Bouteflika

*Pervez Musharraf

*Violeta Chamorro

*June Lockhart

*Kenneth Cope

No Jimmy Carter or indeed his wife former first lady Rossalyn Carter?

On 29/12/2019 at 12:47, Gooseberry Crumble said:

No Jimmy Carter or indeed his wife former first lady Rossalyn Carter?

Hey, need time for a full list! Jimmy Carter, surely. Kissinger, Shultz :dead:, Henry Gray :dead:, Rembert Weakland, Margaret Keane, Robert Graetz :dead:... we could be there for two days.

Just now, drol said:

Hey, need time for a full list! Jimmy Carter, surely. Kissinger, Shultz, Henry Gray, Rembert Weakland, Margaret Keane, Robert Graetz... we could be there for two days.

Indeed we could!

Imelda Marcos,  Dick Cheney, Douglas Hurd,Katherine Jackson, Jimmy Greaves....

• Like 1