Gooseberry Crumble

I predict the grim reaper is going to be 'like a super strong enema 'in 2020

23 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

IMO, the biggest death so far, was Kobe Bryant. But because it happened before Corona, it feels weirdly long ago. That death dominated for 2-3 days.

Ghislaine Maxwell also has big death potential. If it happens, there will be conspiracy theories for years (again).

In terms of biggest names... I don't know. Yes, we might not have had the A+ names, but we certainly had A-names, and quite a few at that, especially on the death list, but also Ennio Morricone and John Lewis and Kobe.

Before corona? It was already there in December 2019!

13 minutes ago, The Red Death said:

Before corona? It was already there in December 2019!

Well, in the media, and on my mind, it was only from February and March on - on that massive scale. 

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I'm trying to think in terms of being a big and kind of unexpected death what could be the big headline death. Obviously Jimmy Carter or Prince Philip would be headliners bit I'm using 2016 as my template eg George Michael, David Bowie, in terms of big unexpected or shock deaths. 

Who would be iconic and significant enough in your eyes?

Liza Minnelli?Madonna?  Kylie Minogue?Sharon Osbourne? Mick Jagger? Simon Cowell? Johnny Depp? 

I would have thought in terms of the UK that Caroline Flack could arguably be said to be the big headline death this year?

Tbh I was thinking more Carter, Philip or Benny, but the 2016 big deaths weren't exactly called ahead of time. If we all knew George Michael was going to snuff it, it wouldn't have quite so big a gut punch to so many people at the time.

Music wise, for iconic it'd have to be Macca, Jagger, Sir Elton - some huge Bowie/Prince type figure. Maybe Ozzy. Hopefully not Ozzy though.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who had never heard of her.  There are many people who don't watch trash TV.

I mean, I hadn't heard of her either, but top marks for calling bloody Strictly trash TV! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carter would be a big death but not such a big story due to his age - a younger Musician going would outrank it.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who had never heard of her.  There are many people who don't watch trash TV.

I had heard of her years before I saw her on Love Island. 

I feel like a lot of deaths are coming. I think of people like Sumner Redstone, Leslie Philips, Renee Simonot, Roberta McCain, people like that...

16 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I feel like a lot of deaths are coming. I think of people like Sumner Redstone, Leslie Philips, Renee Simonot, Roberta McCain, people like that...

There will be a lot of the very oldest centenarians dying very soon. Not many have died in the last few months so there is a back log. Roberta McCain, Stanislaw Kowalski and Fauja Singh will go before the   end of the year, among others.  

On 28/07/2020 at 02:19, Miracle Aligner said:

Deffo agree with those saying the big headliner hasn't gone yet. 

Prince Phil or Jimmy Carter are probably top of the tree on that score. 

Although there's a host of high profile musicians who aren't getting any younger as well. 

I think so far this year - at least UK wise - it's quiet hard to pin down the headline death out of those who've already. Jack Charlton, Vera Lynn, Olivia de Haviland all feel like they would have headlined any other year in the past. Honestly not sure who I'd give it to out of that lot, probably Vera Lynn? 

Good point about the aging musicians! A lot of them didn't lead the healthiest of lives and many smoked heavily for decades. If someone like Keith Richards gets the rona... But I'm also thinking of Bob Dylan. He would be a real headliner. 

To put numbers on Gooseberry's theory, every year since 2007 I've put together a small years end memorial.

Here are the number of folk shortlisted (as in notable enough for a mention) by August 3rd on each year since 2014 (earlier stats lost to time...)

3rd August 2014 -  231 names

3rd August 2015 - 267 names

3rd August 2016 - 329 names

3rd August 2017 - 408 names

3rd August 2018 - 433 names

3rd August 2019 - 435 names

3rd August 2020 - 510 names (John Hume being the 510th)

Even by the normal rising standards (because more boomers are getting older), 2020 is running ahead of schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

To put numbers on Gooseberry's theory, every year since 2007 I've put together a small years end memorial.

Here are the number of folk shortlisted (as in notable enough for a mention) by August 3rd on each year since 2014 (earlier stats lost to time...)

3rd August 2014 -  231 names

3rd August 2015 - 267 names

3rd August 2016 - 329 names

3rd August 2017 - 408 names

3rd August 2018 - 435 names

3rd August 2018 - 510 names (John Hume being the 510th)

Even by the normal rising standards (because more boomers are getting older), 2020 is running ahead of schedule.

I'm sure you mean 2020 and not 2018!:D

Yes the statistics are impressive and striking. My enema clearly ain't a cheap brand!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I'm sure you mean 2020 and not 2018!:D

Yes the statistics are impressive and striking. My enema clearly ain't a cheap brand!

Cant copy a simple line of info, clearly. Fixed it.

• Haha 1

Just now, msc said:

Cant copy a simple line of info, clearly. Fixed it.

Awe there is far worse deathlist forum sins committed than that don't worry!:D

Looks terrifying, but...

16 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

This could be 911 all over again only a lot worse !

Iain, shut up mate.

• Like 5

Update- turns out it was an accident in a fireworks factory, so perhaps not another 911 after all.It does look a bit like a nuclear explosion though you have to admit !

6F349EA0-A2A9-4979-84F8-D3EB3760D812.jpeg

• Haha 1

Gooseberry Reaper sitting in the corner after bumping off a Marvel star like:

2f227e8eb6e728d52a7f8ed328d05c3f.jpg

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, msc said:

Gooseberry Reaper sitting in the corner after bumping off a Marvel star like:

2f227e8eb6e728d52a7f8ed328d05c3f.jpg

Nice picture! The black underwear and black hand coverings is rather sexy!:D:wub:

• Like 1

I have a feeling that the grim reaper just woke up from a month long nap and is about to be super active. Chadwick Boseman is just the beginning.

39 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

I have a feeling that the grim reaper just woke up from a month long nap and is about to be super active. Chadwick Boseman is just the beginning.

Your feeling is correct....

3 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Nice picture! The black underwear and black hand coverings is rather sexy!:D:wub:

Bill Goldberg, 90s big name wrestler.

7 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Your feeling is correct....

Well, August will be the first month of 2020 not to have a DL hit now, but these things are cyclical.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Well, August will be the first month of 2020 not to have a DL hit now, but these things are cyclical.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think August is over yet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, msc said:

Give me a name and address and £20000 in used twenties and we will fix that. But it has to be local. Lockdown rules etc. 

47 minutes ago, msc said:

Oh there is still time! Either of the Bobs, Joanne Woodward,  Lester Piggott, Leslie Phillips,  Harry Belafonte  etc could surprise us still....

• Like 3