Paul Bearer

Ideas and Possibilities for 2021

42 minutes ago, msc said:

Watching the Bobby Ball tribute. You ever get a celeb that, anytime they appear on TV, you think "fucking hell, I thought they died years ago!"? On that note, a old looking Bernie Clifton appeared.

You’ve got to be kidding. Bernie Clifton is never off the bloody TV! 

5 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You’ve got to be kidding. Bernie Clifton is never off the bloody TV! 

Aye. Yet every single time...:D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, msc said:

Watching the Bobby Ball tribute. You ever get a celeb that, anytime they appear on TV, you think "fucking hell, I thought they died years ago!"? On that note, a old looking Bernie Clifton appeared.

I thought Tommy Cannon (82) looked a little frail, though he looked old already 40 years ago. Might be one to watch though.

I was browsing Wikipedia as you do for notable LGBTQ+ people and found the following person who is one to watch:

• Helmut Berger - 76

He was a very popular and respected actor back in the day but he's all but retired now due to ill health. He was even in the German version of I'm a Celebrity a few years ago but had to leave after two days due to his health.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I was browsing Wikipedia as you do for notable LGBTQ+ people and found the following person who is one to watch:

• Helmut Berger - 76

He was a very popular and respected actor back in the day but he's all but retired now due to ill health. He was even in the German version of I'm a Celebrity a few years ago but had to leave after two days due to his health.

Good spot. I've had him in my theme team for a long time, he's physically degraded a lot. His former party life takes its toll.

• Like 1

I’m sure already on many people’s long lists and radar, but Senator Dianne Feinstein has announced she will not be seeking to serve as Chair or ranking Member on the Senate Judiciary Committee in this Congress. 

More than likely she doesn’t have the support of her colleagues given her handling of the Barrett hearings, but at age 87 perhaps one to keep in mind if there is any other reasoning for her not seeking the position.

9 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

I’m sure already on many people’s long lists and radar, but Senator Dianne Feinstein has announced she will not be seeking to serve as Chair or ranking Member on the Senate Judiciary Committee in this Congress. 

More than likely she doesn’t have the support of her colleagues given her handling of the Barrett hearings, but at age 87 perhaps one to keep in mind if there is any other reasoning for her not seeking the position.

Wasn`t there rumours her colleagues thought she wasn`t capable of overseeing the Coney Barrett hearings? Whether that means in relation to what you have said above or health I guess time will tell.

I believe she is the oldest senator currently sitting.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

I believe she is the oldest senator currently sitting.

She is, but isn't the only senator that's currently serving who's old as fuck (Chuck Grassley is also 87, and Richard Shelby and Jim Inhofe (who just won reelection again) are 86). All of them need to retire asap. 

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Wasn`t there rumours her colleagues thought she wasn`t capable of overseeing the Coney Barrett hearings? Whether that means in relation to what you have said above or health I guess time will tell.

She got heavy criticism for commending Lindsay Graham (Chairman of the Judiciary Committee) on the conduct of the Coney Barrett hearings - the Democrats' line was that they shouldn't have been happening, full stop. There was talk of a coup to remove her from her position, which would have been fairly unprecedented, it wouldn't surprise me if the discussions have been had behind the scenes and she's walked of her own volition, either because she doesn't want to cause a rift, is tired of having to justify herself to the left of her party or is simply old enough to have had enough. She's not up for re-election before 2024, when she'd be 91, so I'd fully expect her to announce she's stepping down from the Senate, whether she waits until the end of her term will depend I guess - worth keeping an eye on just in case there's more to it.

While we're here, any update on Mitch McConnell's bruised hands? (I'm guessing nothing official at least.)

Surprised this person has yet to be mentioned on the forums as they don't appear to be in the greatest of health.

Former president of the World Bank and Olympian James Wolfensohn will be 87 in a week. Pictures from early last year show him wheelchair bound and show a regression in health. His wife died in August of this year. 

Evening gala for Christine Lagarde's departure from the IMF Christine Lagarde James Wolfensohn and Alan Greenspan are photographed for Paris Match in...

(btw that is Alan Greenspan in the back)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

She got heavy criticism for commending Lindsay Graham (Chairman of the Judiciary Committee) on the conduct of the Coney Barrett hearings - the Democrats' line was that they shouldn't have been happening, full stop. There was talk of a coup to remove her from her position, which would have been fairly unprecedented, it wouldn't surprise me if the discussions have been had behind the scenes and she's walked of her own volition, either because she doesn't want to cause a rift, is tired of having to justify herself to the left of her party or is simply old enough to have had enough. She's not up for re-election before 2024, when she'd be 91, so I'd fully expect her to announce she's stepping down from the Senate, whether she waits until the end of her term will depend I guess - worth keeping an eye on just in case there's more to it.

While we're here, any update on Mitch McConnell's bruised hands? (I'm guessing nothing official at least.)

McConnell is clearly very ill.The bruising of the hands and face like that.If it was just a fall they surely would have said.I think it looks bad for him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Banana said:

Surprised this person has yet to be mentioned on the forums as they don't appear to be in the greatest of health.

Former president of the World Bank and Olympian John Wolfensohn will be 87 in a week. Pictures from early last year show him wheelchair bound and show a regression in health. His wife died in August of this year. 

Evening gala for Christine Lagarde's departure from the IMF Christine Lagarde James Wolfensohn and Alan Greenspan are photographed for Paris Match in...

(btw that is Alan Greenspan in the back)

Alan Greenspan doesn't look bad at all for a 94 years old man, he should be dropped for next year imo

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Alan Greenspan doesn't look bad at all for a 94 years old man, he should be dropped for next year imo

Absolutely. A total waste of a space having him on the list 

As all the old DL centenarians are dead, here are some suggestions:

Norman Lloyd, 106. Looked very frail in the birthday photos a couple of weeks ago and he's 106 now.

Marsha Hunt, 103. Photos from three years ago with Lloyd show her in a wheelchair. One for the list if she survives until 2021.

Tom Moore, 100. You all know who he is.

Going to be 100 later this year:

Yegor Ligyachov, 99. Veteran Soviet politician, former enemy of Gorbachev. 100 in five days.

George Shultz, 99. Reagan's secretary of state, Nixon's secretary of the treasury.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arghton said:

As all the old DL centenarians are dead, here are some suggestions:

Norman Lloyd, 106. Looked very frail in the birthday photos a couple of weeks ago and he's 106 now.

Marsha Hunt, 103. Photos from three years ago with Lloyd show her in a wheelchair. One for the list if she survives until 2021.

Tom Moore, 100. You all know who he is.

Going to be 100 later this year:

Yegor Ligyachov, 99. Veteran Soviet politician, former enemy of Gorbachev. 100 in five days.

George Shultz, 99. Reagan's secretary of state, Nixon's secretary of the treasury.

What about one of the triumvirate of centenarian ex-British MPs - Atkins, Duffy and Shaw - or are they too obscure for the list? 

Speaking of Gorbachev, how’s the guy been it’s been a while since we last heard about him. Is he a possible return for next year?

After searching when he died, I'm kind of surprised to see that Paolo Conte is still with us. Maybe one to watch in the next few years… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

After searching when he died, I'm kind of surprised to see that Paolo Conte is still with us. Maybe one to watch in the next few years… 

First forum mention (of 3) not by me! Which makes me believe drol can't stand him.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I'd rather keep an eye on Gino Paoli if I had to choose, but I guess it's less international...

• Like 1

Legendary French composer, Claude Bolling will be turning 91 next year and has been rather quiet of late.

Wow, so many candidates who would have been great for the 2021 DL have died this year but there are still so many good candidates for the 2021 DL, that it will be extremely difficult to limit them all down to just 50. 

Nothing really from Peter Kay since his ‘concerning’ appearance in April on the Big Night In.

As for triumvirates, all the 3 astronaut are still living about the Apollo 8 astronauts, who were "The Person of the Year" by the Time in 1968:

(1928 - ) Frank Borman

(1928 - ) Jim Lovell

(1933 - ) William Anders