Paul Bearer

Ideas and Possibilities for 2021

21 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Good list with a few exceptions. Don’t see Trump or Assange going anytime soon. Also, Bassey and Gehry are still very active for their age.

And Gehry is a famed architect. Another decade guaranteed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Based on who i've said in the last year, this years list and who I have seen looking unwell:

• Vanessa Redgrave - MAYBE
  • Captain Tom Moore - YES
  • David Attenborough - NO
  • Stephen Sondheim - WHOOOOOO
  • Ghislaine Maxwell - NO
  • Harvey Weinstein - WISHFUL THINKING
  • Shannen Doherty - Has terminal cancer - YES
  • Queen Elizabeth - NO
  • Betty Boothroyd - ORDER ORDER THE RIGHT HONOURABLE MEMBER WILL RESUME HER SEAT
  • Prunella Scales - YES
  • Helmut Berger - WHOOOOOO
  • Sarah Harding - Has terminal cancer - YES
  • Murray Walker - SADLY YES
  • Dick van Dyke - NO
  • Jimmy Carter - YES
  • Sidney Poiter - YES
  • Duke of Kent - YES
  • Prince Philip - OBVIOUSLY
  • June Brown - NO
  • Betty White - OH GO ON THEN
  • Tom Parker - Has terminal cancer - OBVIOUSLY YES
  • Yoko Ono - YES

Joining in with the theme of providing a completely inconsequential opinion

On 11/12/2020 at 01:57, The Daredevil said:

How about Vanessa Redgrave returning to the DL? 

She has been about this year last time she was in public was to support a theatre in Manchester.Heart disease and emphysema make her a likely Covid hit if she gets it.I could see why the committee would bring her back but think she isn`t the strongest former pick who could come back.Although after this year DL survivors have dwindled massively.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Although after this year DL survivors have dwindled massively.

Yes but at the risk of producing a Sean special list that still leaves: Larry King, Gorbachev, Sidney Poitier, Ozzy, QE2, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jake, Jimmy Greaves, Pope Benny, Linda Nolan, and Barbara Walters as potential returnees further up the list, and that's not counting "nice to have but not urgent" names like Mel Brooks, Stanley Baxter, etc...

Here's an updated list of immortals who escaped (?) 2020:

1)Dilip Kumar (1922). The King of Them All. 98 years old an counting. If three years ago someone would say he would be still alive by now he would have been transferred to Bedlam Asylum immediately.

2)Bob Dole (1923). With an incredible history of hospitalizations at Walter Reed, extensive heart and lung disease and having looked like a corpse for at least seven years, this wheelchair hero deserves his high spot on the list.

3)Jimmy Carter (1924). Cancer survivor who seemed fucked, fall, brain hemhorrage, extremely frail. But going on nonethless. Which is amazing.

4)Thich Nhat Hanh (1926). Suffered a tremendous stroke in 2014, expected to be dead within months then. Went to Vietnam two years ago to "spend his last days" there. Was reported to be dying last year. Sought treatment for pneumonia in Thailand in autumn 2019. Again weak and not eating at his 94th birthday, quickly recovered.

5)Syed Ali Shah Geelani (1929). Has suffered from heart failure and lung disease for years. He has been on the brink on death at least four times in the last five years. In February 2020 his death seemed imminent.

6)Tin Oo (1927). Survived a terrible stroke and a consequent fall in 2017. Expected to be dead within days, he is still hanging around in his wheelchair with seemingly swollen legs.

7)Mikis Theodorakis (1925). Has suffered many heart attacks and he was reportedly "on the brink of death" (yeah, again...) last year in March.

8)Leslie Phillips (1924). This guy is incredible. He has suffered multiple strokes, has been on a wheelchair for years and anyway kept watching while many other beloved British actors and entertainers were wiped out in recent years.

9)Monica Vitti (1931)/Joanne Woodward (1930)/Carmen Sevilla (1930). Their resistance to Alzheimer's is incredible. Vitti has had a neurodegenerative illness for 17 years and counting, the other are above 10 years (not sure about Woodward).

10)Ma Shitu (1915). Popular writer of Sichuan, he is a three-time lung cancer survivor and also suffered from other types of cancer. Was on his deathbed in 2003, he pulled a surprise recovery. Retires in July 2020 due to failing health, likely another recurrence of cancer. Hospitalized again some months later, he bounces back as nothing even this time. A prodigy.

11)Meshulam Dovid Soloveitchik (1921). He has been close to death many times. In December 2019 he was so much dying he was a Deathrace pick. Now he is still dying, but a human corpse like him survived a severe bout with COVID, which put him on life support and forced him to undergo tracheostomy. Now in danger for complications. But his time never comes.

12)Saleh Ajeery (1920). A COPD and heart failure sufferer who has been on a critical condition with COVID for two weeks. Seemingly he will test negative and be in a Meshulam-like situation. Against the unbelievable odds, again.

13)David Musuguri (1920). This Tanzanian general was reportedly near death at his 100th birthday due to "sever complications of diabeetus". Wheelchair bound guy is still somehow going.

14)Vassos Lyssarides (1920). Suffering from emphysema and heart failure, he bounced back from a critical condition ahead of his 100th birthday and itw as the second time at least.

15)Wan Haifeng (1920). Reportedly bedridden, selling memorabilia, and mostly unable to even speak, his moment seems to never come anyway.

16)Saalumarada Thimmakka (????). Was in a critical condition some years ago, was in a bleak condition in May this year. Somehow this incredibly frail environmentalist from K'taka (also the land of Venkatasubbiah, we hail you, 108 year old fucker) looks good enough at her last appearances. K'Taka has something magical, way too many old geezers down there.

I'll continue when other spring to mind.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, drol said:

Here's an updated list of immortals who escaped (?) 2020:

1)Dilip Kumar (1922). The King of Them All. 98 years old an counting. If three years ago someone would say he would be still alive by now he would have been transferred to Bedlam Asylum immediately.

2)Bob Dole (1923). With an incredible history of hospitalizations at Walter Reed, extensive heart and lung disease and having looked like a corpse for at least seven years, this wheelchair hero deserves his high spot on the list.

3)Jimmy Carter (1924). Cancer survivor who seemed fucked, fall, brain hemhorrage, extremely frail. But going on nonethless. Which is amazing.

4)Thich Nhat Hanh (1926). Suffered a tremendous stroke in 2014, expected to be dead within months then. Went to Vietnam two years ago to "spend his last days" there. Was reported to be dying last year. Sought treatment for pneumonia in Thailand in autumn 2019. Again weak and not eating at his 94th birthday, quickly recovered.

5)Syed Ali Shah Geelani (1929). Has suffered from heart failure and lung disease for years. He has been on the brink on death at least four times in the last five years. In February 2020 his death seemed imminent.

6)Tin Oo (1927). Survived a terrible stroke and a consequent fall in 2017. Expected to be dead within days, he is still hanging around in his wheelchair with seemingly swollen legs.

7)Mikis Theodorakis (1925). Has suffered many heart attacks and he was reportedly "on the brink of death" (yeah, again...) last year in March.

8)Leslie Phillips (1924). This guy is incredible. He has suffered multiple strokes, has been on a wheelchair for years and anyway kept watching while many other beloved British actors and entertainers were wiped out in recent years.

9)Monica Vitti (1931)/Joanne Woodward (1930)/Carmen Sevilla (1930). Their resistance to Alzheimer's is incredible. Vitti has had a neurodegenerative illness for 17 years and counting, the other are above 10 years (not sure about Woodward).

10)Ma Shitu (1915). Popular writer of Sichuan, he is a three-time lung cancer survivor and also suffered from other types of cancer. Was on his deathbed in 2003, he pulled a surprise recovery. Retires in July 2020 due to failing health, likely another recurrence of cancer. Hospitalized again some months later, he bounces back as nothing even this time. A prodigy.

11)Meshulam Dovid Soloveitchik (1921). He has been close to death many times. In December 2019 he was so much dying he was a Deathrace pick. Now he is still dying, but a human corpse like him survived a severe bout with COVID, which put him on life support and forced him to undergo tracheostomy. Now in danger for complications. But his time never comes.

12)Saleh Ajeery (1920). A COPD and heart failure sufferer who has been on a critical condition with COVID for two weeks. Seemingly he will test negative and be in a Meshulam-like situation. Against the unbelievable odds, again.

13)David Musuguri (1920). This Tanzanian general was reportedly near death at his 100th birthday due to "sever complications of diabeetus". Wheelchair bound guy is still somehow going.

14)Vassos Lyssarides (1920). Suffering from emphysema and heart failure, he bounced back from a critical condition ahead of his 100th birthday and itw as the second time at least.

15)Wan Haifeng (1920). Reportedly bedridden, selling memorabilia, and mostly unable to even speak, his moment seems to never come anyway.

16)Saalumarada Thimmakka (????). Was in a critical condition some years ago, was in a bleak condition in May this year. Somehow this incredibly frail environmentalist from K'taka (also the land of Venkatasubbiah, we hail you, 108 year old fucker) looks good enough at her last appearances. K'Taka has something magical, way too many old geezers down there.

I'll continue when other spring to mind.

Henry Kissinger could be added to this list too. 

22 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Based on who i've said in the last year, this years list and who I have seen looking unwell:

• Vanessa Redgrave - NO
  • Captain Tom Moore - YES
  • David Attenborough - YES
  • Stephen Sondheim - YES
  • Ghislaine Maxwell - NO
  • Harvey Weinstein - NO
  • Shannen Doherty - Has terminal cancer - YES
  • Queen Elizabeth - YES
  • Betty Boothroyd - NO
  • Prunella Scales - YES
  • Helmut Berger - WHO
  • Sarah Harding - Has terminal cancer - YES
  • Murray Walker - YES
  • Dick van Dyke - YES
  • Jimmy Carter - YES
  • Sidney Poiter - YES
  • Duke of Kent - YES
  • Prince Philip - YES
  • June Brown  - NO
  • Betty White - YES
  • Tom Parker - Has terminal cancer - YES
  • Yoko Ono -YES

My opinon's

8 hours ago, frleon said:

I've been lurking around the DL for years, this time I'll finally have a list of my own for the first time. It goes:

Akihito 87 = NO

Yoko Ono 87- YES

Bob Dole 97 - YES

Alex Katz 93 - WHO

Tom Lehrer 92 - NO

Amanda Lear 81 - WHO

Herb Alpert 85- WHO

Horst Eckel 88 - WHO

Raúl Castro 89 = NO

Frank Gehry 91 - WHO

Jiang Zemin 94 - NO

Donald Trump 74 -NO

Robert Crumb 77 - WHO

Phil Spector 81 - NO

Ali Chamenei 81  - YES

Donald Knuth 82 - WHO

Philip Glass 83 - WHO

Jane Goodall 86  - NO

George Soros 90 -NO

Tippi Hedren 90 -YES

Noam Chomsky 92 - NO

James Watson 92 - WHO

Benedikt XVI 93 - YES

Jimmy Carter 96 -YES

Yuri Norštein 79 - WHO

Richard Serra 81 - WHO

Julie Andrews 85 -NO

Tenzin Gyatso 85 -WHO

John Williams 88 -NO

Arnulf Rainer 91 - WHO

Milan Kundera 91 - WHO

Prince Philip 99 - YES

Julian Assange 49 - NO

Shirley Bassey 83 - NO

Ralph Steadman 84 - WHO

Giorgio Armani 86 - WHO

Wayne Thiebaud 100 - WHO

Brigitte Bardot 86 -NO

Gerhard Richter 88 - WHO

Daniel Ellsberg 89 - WHO

Henry Kissinger 97 - YES

Françoise Gilot 99 - WHO

Pierre Soulages 101 - WHO

Michael Schumacher 51 -NO

Álvaro Siza Vieira 87 - WHO

Giorgio Napolitano 95 - YES

Philippe de Gaulle 99 -NO

Abdelaziz Bouteflika 83 -NO

Salman ibn Abd al-Aziz 85 - WHO

Frederik Willem de Klerk 84- NO

Reserve:

Mikhail Gorbachëv 89 = YES

Jean-Luc Godard 90 - NO

Gina Lollobrigida 94 - NO

Of course it's completely inconsistent. I left off some big names (QE2, David Attenborough) whose health seems perfectly fine, on the other hand included plenty of folks on grounds of old age alone. Feel it's safer to roll the dice though than to overthink it, in this case.

My opinions.

12 hours ago, frleon said:

Akihito 87- NO

Yoko Ono 87- YES

Bob Dole 97- YES

Alex Katz 93- NO

Tom Lehrer 92- NO

Amanda Lear 81- NO

Herb Alpert 85- NO

Horst Eckel 88- NO

Raúl Castro 89- NO

Frank Gehry 91- NO

Jiang Zemin 94- YES

Donald Trump 74- NO

Robert Crumb 77- NO

Phil Spector 81- NO

Ali Chamenei 81- NO

Donald Knuth 82- NO

Philip Glass 83- NO

Jane Goodall 86- NO

George Soros 90 NO

Tippi Hedren 90- NO

Noam Chomsky 92- YES

James Watson 92- YES

Benedikt XVI 93- YES

Jimmy Carter 96- YES

Yuri Norštein 79- NO

Richard Serra 81- NO

Julie Andrews 85- NO

Tenzin Gyatso 85- NO

John Williams 88 NO

Arnulf Rainer 91- NO

Milan Kundera 91- NO

Prince Philip 99- YES

Julian Assange 49- NO

Shirley Bassey 83- DEFINITELY NOT

Ralph Steadman 84- NO

Giorgio Armani 86- NO

Wayne Thiebaud 100- NO

Brigitte Bardot 86- NO

Gerhard Richter 88- NO

Daniel Ellsberg 89- NO

Henry Kissinger 97- YES

Françoise Gilot 99- NO

Pierre Soulages 101- YES

Michael Schumacher 51- NO

Álvaro Siza Vieira 87- NO

Giorgio Napolitano 95- YES

Philippe de Gaulle 99- NO

Abdelaziz Bouteflika 83- NO

Salman ibn Abd al-Aziz 85- NO

Frederik Willem de Klerk 84- NO

Reserve:

Mikhail Gorbachëv 89- YES

Jean-Luc Godard 90- YES

Gina Lollobrigida 94- YES

More opinions.

16 hours ago, The Old Crem said:
On 12/12/2020 at 13:12, frleon said:

I've been lurking around the DL for years, this time I'll finally have a list of my own for the first time. It goes:

Akihito 87 = NO

Yoko Ono 87- YES

Bob Dole 97 - YES

Alex Katz 93 - WHO

Tom Lehrer 92 - NO

Amanda Lear 81 - WHO

Herb Alpert 85- WHO

Horst Eckel 88 - WHO

Raúl Castro 89 = NO

Frank Gehry 91 - WHO

Jiang Zemin 94 - NO

Donald Trump 74 -NO

Robert Crumb 77 - WHO

Phil Spector 81 - NO

Ali Chamenei 81  - YES

Donald Knuth 82 - WHO

Philip Glass 83 - WHO

Jane Goodall 86  - NO

George Soros 90 -NO

Tippi Hedren 90 -YES

Noam Chomsky 92 - NO

James Watson 92 - WHO

Benedikt XVI 93 - YES

Jimmy Carter 96 -YES

Yuri Norštein 79 - WHO

Richard Serra 81 - WHO

Julie Andrews 85 -NO

Tenzin Gyatso 85 -WHO

John Williams 88 -NO

Arnulf Rainer 91 - WHO

Milan Kundera 91 - WHO

Prince Philip 99 - YES

Julian Assange 49 - NO

Shirley Bassey 83 - NO

Ralph Steadman 84 - WHO

Giorgio Armani 86 - WHO

Wayne Thiebaud 100 - WHO

Brigitte Bardot 86 -NO

Gerhard Richter 88 - WHO

Daniel Ellsberg 89 - WHO

Henry Kissinger 97 - YES

Françoise Gilot 99 - WHO

Pierre Soulages 101 - WHO

Michael Schumacher 51 -NO

Álvaro Siza Vieira 87 - WHO

Giorgio Napolitano 95 - YES

Philippe de Gaulle 99 -NO

Abdelaziz Bouteflika 83 -NO

Salman ibn Abd al-Aziz 85 - WHO

Frederik Willem de Klerk 84- NO

Reserve:

Mikhail Gorbachëv 89 = YES

Jean-Luc Godard 90 - NO

Gina Lollobrigida 94 - NO

Of course it's completely inconsistent. I left off some big names (QE2, David Attenborough) whose health seems perfectly fine, on the other hand included plenty of folks on grounds of old age alone. Feel it's safer to roll the dice though than to overthink it, in this case.

My opinions.

Alex Katz – painter

Amanda Lear – muse

Herb Alpert – jazz musician

Horst Eckel – footballer

Frank Gehry – architect

Robert Crumb – cartoonist

Donald Knuth – computer science god

Philipp Glass – composer

James Watson – biologist, of DNA fame

Yuri Norštein – animator

Richard Serra – sculptor

Tenzin Gyatso – Dalai Lama

Arnulf Rainer – painter

Milan Kundera – writer

Ralph Steadman – cartoonist

Giorgio Armani – fashion designer

Gerhard Richter – painter

Daniel Ellsberg – whistleblower

Françoise Gilot – The woman who left Picasso

Pierre Soulages – painter

Wayne Thiebault – painter

Álvaro Siza Vieira – architect

Salman ibn Abd al-Aziz – Saudi king

• Like 2

Yes, actually ignorance is often mistaken for a virtue nowadays.

• Like 2

Queen Sirikit of Thailand could be a good one for the list. Wife of the late king who died in 2016, she's had multiple strokes and other serious health issues and is rarely seen in public. Only question I guess would be if she's famous enough.

I always pick a cricketer so am going for Alan Burgess who, at  100, is the oldest surviving first class cricketer. I recently read an article about Patrick Patterson who is approaching 60 and has suffered with mental health issues for a few years. A bit of a long shot admittedly

On 12/12/2020 at 12:12, frleon said:

Same here. Here is my list so far (possibly subject to minor changes, particularly in terms of the order, as the New Year approaches!) The final couple of entries are perhaps there more out of hope than expectation...

1 - Gerd Muller

2 - Rush Limbaugh

3 - Leon Spinks

4 - Michael Parkinson

5 - Larry King

6 - Tommy Lasorda

7 - Dilip Kumar

8 - James Whale

9 - Jiang Zemin

10 - Bob Barker

11 - Shannen Doherty

12 - Duke of Edinburgh

13 - Duke of Kent

14 - Jimmy Carter

15 - Rosalyn Carter

16 - Prunella Scales 

17 - Jimmy Tarbuck

18 - James Lovelock

19 - Robert Fyfe

20 - Patricia Routledge

21 - Jean-Louis Trintignant

22 - Henry Kissinger 

23 - Michael Gorbachev

24 - Bob Dole 

25 - Gunter von Hagens

26 - James Watson 

27 - Yoko Ono

28 - Ray Reardon

29 - Glynis Johns

30 - Pope Benedict XVI

31 - Bill Turnbull

32 - Bill Oddie

33 - Beverly Cleary

34 - Alain Delon

35 - Trevor Peacock

36 - Jack Higgins 

37 - Doddie Weir

38 - Noam Chomsky

39 - Leslie Phillips

40 - C.J. Sansom 

41 - Raul Castro 

42 - Pierre Cardin 

43 - Emperor Akihito

44 - Sarah Harding 

45 - Ronald Blythe

46 - Cormac McCarthy

47 - Michael Collins

48 - Lee Child

49 - Mitch McConnell

50 - Harvey Weinstein 

• Like 1

Trevor Peacock is actually a better DL 2021 pick than I initially thought. He has lived with dementia for over a decade and it was announced as advanced in 2017. Furthermore, Peacock is at the extremely dangerous age of 89, the most common age of celebrity death nowadays, in my opinion.

Roger Moore, Michael Lonsdale, Lauren Bacall, Peter Alliss, François Lalande, Bernard Fox, John Carson, John Bluthal, Martha Hyer, Warren Mitchell, Frank Finlay, B.B King, Fats Domino, Bruce Forsyth, Martin Landau, Robert Guillaume, Katherine Helmond, Jeanne Moreau etc all died in recent years at age 89.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Trevor Peacock is actually a better DL 2021 pick than I initially thought. He has lived with dementia for over a decade and it was announced as advanced in 2017. Furthermore, Peacock is at the extremely dangerous age of 89, the most common age of celebrity death nowadays, in my opinion.

Roger Moore, Michael Lonsdale, Lauren Bacall, Peter Alliss, François Lalande, Bernard Fox, John Carson, John Bluthal, Martha Hyer, Warren Mitchell, Frank Finlay, B.B King, Fats Domino, Bruce Forsyth, Martin Landau, Robert Guillaume, Katherine Helmond, Jeanne Moreau etc all died in recent years at age 89.

AND now John le Carre.... A particularly sad 2020 blow. 

Robert Solow should be on the list

Based from what i'm seeing Linda Nolan should be on the list next year due to her cancer. Doesn't her sister have it too?

1 minute ago, ladyfiona said:

Based from what i'm seeing Linda Nolan should be on the list next year due to her cancer. Doesn't her sister have it too?

Anne seems to be in remission.

14 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Johnny Carson was 79, not 89 when he died.

1 minute ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Johnny Carson was 79, not 89 when he died.

Oh, I see it says John Carson not Johnny, my bad.

14 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Peacock is a good shout but because he has had dementia for over a decade and had deteriorated severely and was in a nursing home 3 and a half years ago.Being 89 isn`t a factor in itself.It is old but you could mention dozens if not hundreds of celbrities who died at 87 88 90 91 etc.