BeretBleu

Gianluca Vialli

Put him as my Number 1 in Book's Prediction game. Seemed to fit the classic DL #1 style of "quite famous and very ill" like al-Megrahi, Wilko Johnson and Martin Crowe.

Seemed very odd he wasn't on the list anywhere.

RIP Gianluca.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Fattist and sexist

Oh come on! It's nothing of the sort and you're beginning to come across like someone from the PC Brigade.

• Facepalm 4

1 minute ago, Deathtreat23 said:

Oh come on! It's nothing of the sort and you're beginning to come across like someone from the PC Brigade.

:D:D:D

It was a joke

37 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Second actual hit on my shadow list. Couldve been no 4 if Pele and Benedict held out just a little longer.

Ditto

On 30/12/2019 at 03:05, Sean said:

Recurrent pancreatic cancer .He is screwed.

You have a shrewed eye. 

One of the few celebrities I've spoken to - Gianluca Vialli came to the Exeter City vs Chelsea friendly shortly after signing for them in August 1996 and was happy (if slightly bemused) to talk to me about his home town of Cremona.   A lovely man and a great footballer.

• Like 1

He was one of my favourite footballers as a schoolboy; him, Bryan Robson, Chris Waddle, Davie Cooper and Trevor Senior.

I didn't want to make him my DDP joker, but his days were numbered. I take no pleasure from this, but 24 points is what it is...

The second ever name on here that I actually spoke to, after Denis Healey.

Surprised it was his pancreas in the end. Sat next to him for four hours at Cheltenham races in 1997 and he never had a cigarette out of his mouth all that time.

A truly lovely man

R.I.P. Gianluca

On 23/12/2022 at 11:19, drol said:

Stable, though "overall condition is delicate".

Doesn't sound like anything imminent though. He will be very popular in deadpools next year.

Here's his DDP history as a pick for teams:

2023 - ?? (I suspect D40 placement)

2022 - 19

2021 - 14

2020 - 25

2019 - 1 (premiere)

1 hour ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

There are quite a few on here with the fore site to see all the big deaths. But only mention it after they die

Dude, he had INCURABLE PANCREATIC CANCER. There are ppl who you miss by mistake, and then there is the “Committee” that doesn’t even bother to glance at the Ideas and Possibilities thread for the entire fucking year.

• Like 5

Brilliant player. That goal for Chelsea against Tromso on that ice rink of a pitch is one of the best I've ever seen. Also a key part of the great Sampdoria scudetto winners of 1991. Ciao Gianni!

21 minutes ago, SovietJohnny said:

The second ever name on here that I actually spoke to, after Denis Healey.

Surprised it was his pancreas in the end. Sat next to him for four hours at Cheltenham races in 1997 and he never had a cigarette out of his mouth all that time.

A truly lovely man

R.I.P. Gianluca

One of the types of cancer smoking is linked to is pancreatic…

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Dude, he had INCURABLE PANCREATIC CANCER. There are ppl who you miss by mistake, and then there is the “Committee” that doesn’t even bother to glance at the Ideas and Possibilities thread for the entire fucking year.

Recurrent incurable pancreatic cancer and had been in hospital gravelly ill.

It was a glaring shoe_ in for an early hit.He was famous and gravely ill in hospital.I can't help but conclude it was a deliberate omission.The big question is why.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Put him as my Number 1 in Book's Prediction game. Seemed to fit the classic DL #1 style of "quite famous and very ill" like al-Megrahi, Wilko Johnson and Martin Crowe.

Seemed very odd he wasn't on the list anywhere.

RIP Gianluca.

I put him as number 1 on my shadow list as he was easily a big enough name and was clearly going to die early this year.No brainer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

One of the types of cancer smoking is linked to is pancreatic…

Sadly true. 

Through of course it might not be linked. A relative of mine who has never smoked recently had a early stage lung cancer removed. 

Why on earth was he not on the main list? Was he not as famous as Bill Gates's dad?

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

R.I.P. Gianluca.

I had forgotten that I saw him play in the Cup Winners Cup final when Chelsea beat Stuttgart 1-0

3 minutes ago, iliadpi said:

Truly shocking omission.

I'm thinking he's Drop 40 points when DDP goes live

Question: Was Gianluca Vialli the last player-manager of a top club in the Premier League? A rare breed these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sean said:

It was a glaring shoe_ in for an early hit.He was famius and gravely ill in hospital.I can't help but conclude it was a deliberate omission.The big question is why.

As said before, the Committee are very, very confused by anyone who became famous after the fall of Communism. Their idea of a young, upcoming celebrity is Dustin Gee. Possibly time for one of the Committee to bring their son/grandson/great-grandson to the planning session.

• Haha 3

Surely the committee are beyond picking such low-hanging fruit just for an easy win. ;)

54 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Question: Was Gianluca Vialli the last player-manager of a top club in the Premier League? A rare breed these days.

Ryan Giggs, MUFC, 2013, is the last I can think of.

5 minutes ago, time said:

Ryan Giggs, MUFC, 2013, is the last I can think of.

Leon Brittain (not @Leon Brittan) for Swansea in 2017.

12 minutes ago, time said:

Surely the committee are beyond picking such low-hanging fruit just for an easy win. ;)

Just like how they didn’t pick 1082 year olds like Olivia de Havilland, Vera Lynn, and Kirk Douglas? ;) 

• Like 1