Jump to content
Grim Reaper

26. Genesis P-Orridge

Recommended Posts

Excellent pick, they’re a goner this year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this is a great pick which might not last too long here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must confess I'd never heard of this person until I saw them mentioned on this forum in the past 2-3 weeks. Now having read up on them they certainly seem like a decent but quirky pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very well done, a true British original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cult pick. Points more than personality. Britain decides to start looking up who the hell it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Cult pick. Points more than personality. Britain decides to start looking up who the hell it is.

 

Genuinely in the last year I've had 3 recommendations to listen to his band off non-deadpoolers. Still haven't, mind you. But he's clearly got respect among sections of UK Music fandom.

 

Obviously far more famous than Bill Gate's dad too. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horrible pick about a drama queen.

Do YOU really believe this MAN is ill?  Where the proof?  Quit touring....big deal who wouldn't at 70.

What's worse.... 7 people have chosen him as the #1 pick of 2020 in the pool....that kind of attention goes to recent medical updates.  This drama queen doesn't have any such news.  So why are you people lining up in this queue?
SC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Horrible pick about a drama queen.

Do YOU really believe this MAN is ill?  Where the proof?  Quit touring....big deal who wouldn't at 70.

What's worse.... 7 people have chosen him as the #1 pick of 2020 in the pool....that kind of attention goes to recent medical updates.  This drama queen doesn't have any such news.  So why are you people lining up in this queue?
SC

Clearly you haven’t been following his social media posts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of them until a few days ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the first Throbbing Gristle album in 1978! And first heard of Genesis P-Orridge when the NME wrote about his previous group Coum in 1974. He/ they has been in a bad way for a couple of years now unfortunately. And I think when he goes, the amount of media attention will surprise some people.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Clearly you haven’t been following his social media posts

I just don’t believe it.  Hackneyed posts retread from 2017.....2018....2019....

(Meme needs updating)

0D397508-0B2E-4DF2-93B7-E668D6B906AE.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW if you social media you mean Twitter then no I will never open a twitter account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2020 at 14:55, GraveDanger said:

Never heard of them until a few days ago

I'd never heard of him either until I came on here and I like to kid myself I know quite a lot about obscure pop/rock acts from the 1970s & 1980s. He's clearly famous around these parts but would bet 99% of the UK population has never heard of him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

I'd never heard of him either until I came on here and I like to kid myself I know quite a lot about obscure pop/rock acts from the 1970s & 1980s. He's clearly famous around these parts but would bet 99% of the UK population has never heard of him.

 

Possibly not, but I bet more than 1% are aware that there used to be a band called Throbbing Gristle, even if they never heard any of their music.

He passes my "recognised by someone in the pub" test on that basis.  Band names are often known while the names of all their members may not be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Toast said:

 

Possibly not, but I bet more than 1% are aware that there used to be a band called Throbbing Gristle, even if they never heard any of their music.

He passes my "recognised by someone in the pub" test on that basis.  Band names are often known while the names of all their members may not be.

 

 

For example, I couldn't name you any of Pulp beyond Jarvis but if their 90s bass player (whom a quick Google search tells me is Steve Mackey) came down with Stage IV pancreatic cancer he'd be fit for DL for me on the basis of the band.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, msc said:

For example, I couldn't name you any of Pulp beyond Jarvis but if their 90s bass player (whom a quick Google search tells me is Steve Mackey) came down with Stage IV pancreatic cancer he'd be fit for DL for me on the basis of the band.

Yes, but a significant percentage of the adult population  (at least those aged between say 35 and 65) has heard of Pulp, unlike throbbing gristle, who I cannot recall ever having had a hit single or album (which I concede is no arbiter of quality, but it is a reasonable proxy for fame). IMHO there are a lot of old pop stars from the late 50s through to early/mid 60s still knocking around who are all well into their 80s, most of whom would have been better picks from a fame perspective.

Just my opinion of course.  fwiw I don't see what Bill Gates' Dad is doing on the list either. Or, if he qualifies, why (say) Jackie Stallone and Roberta McCain do not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Yes, but a significant percentage of the adult population  (at least those aged between say 35 and 65) has heard of Pulp, unlike throbbing gristle, who I cannot recall ever having had a hit single or album (which I concede is no arbiter of quality, but it is a reasonable proxy for fame). IMHO there are a lot of old pop stars from the late 50s through to early/mid 60s still knocking around who are all well into their 80s, most of whom would have been better picks from a fame perspective.

Just my opinion of course.  fwiw I don't see what Bill Gates' Dad is doing on the list either. Or, if he qualifies, why (say) Jackie Stallone and Roberta McCain do not.

 

 

Yeah, interesting point - re the old popsters, for example, 81 year old P J Proby will likely be better known when he goes than P-Orridge. That said, I'm quite happy to see the Trobster here because I'm one of the few people I know that actually bought one or two of his albums back in the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Yes, but a significant percentage of the adult population  (at least those aged between say 35 and 65) has heard of Pulp, unlike throbbing gristle, who I cannot recall ever having had a hit single or album (which I concede is no arbiter of quality, but it is a reasonable proxy for fame).

 

Sure, but in this case it's the distinctive name rather than the music that might ring a bell with people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Toast said:

 

Sure, but in this case it's the distinctive name rather than the music that might ring a bell with people.

 

So his claim to fame is an unusual stage name rather than his music. Ah well, look forward to his equally 'famous' but memorably monikered bandmates PinkFloyd Cornflakes and Deuteronomy Shreddies appearing on the list in future years then :-)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

 

So his claim to fame is an unusual stage name rather than his music. Ah well, look forward to his equally 'famous' but memorably monikered bandmates PinkFloyd Cornflakes and Deuteronomy Shreddies appearing on the list in future years then :-)

 

No, I was talking about the band name, Throbbing Gristle.

 

I don't actually care if candidates "deserve" fame.  I just go by whether other people have heard of them (or in the case of band musicians, their band).  Everyone has different interests and areas of expertise, so my personal yardstick is "would there be anyone in my local on a Friday evening who has heard of [insert celeb]?"   In this particular case, there certainly would be someone who has heard of Throbbing Gristle.  Probably several people, as it is a memorable name to say the least.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, and I know I am not into the whole Dead pooling shebang, I think the pick is completely self indulgent.

No, I had not heard of him but, yes, I have heard of Throbbing Gristle.

I know that there have been some quite obscure picks in previous lists but this one is, frankly, fucking ridiculous.

It is a smart arse pick and not one that the general public could possibly identify with.

Yeah they may well get an obit, like, 4 lines on page 18 of The Sun, but if people are seriously saying that it is really enough for the major, THE MAJOR, and foremost Dead Pooling website in the English speaking world ( fuck me, we are even global ) then the forum is even more fucked than I thought it was.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye, but you know, it's their list. Not ours. They can pick who they want. Maybe Grim Reaper is a huge fan of Porridge, we know from the front page he or someone involved was a big The Fall fan so it's not that out there.

 

Or they just went "Guy with terminal cancer? I'll have them, thanks." Who knows.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Personally, and I know I am not into the whole Dead pooling shebang, I think the pick is completely self indulgent.

No, I had not heard of him but, yes, I have heard of Throbbing Gristle.

I know that there have been some quite obscure picks in previous lists but this one is, frankly, fucking ridiculous.

 It is a smart arse pick and not one that the general public could possibly identify with.

 Yeah they may well get an obit, like, 4 lines on page 18 of The Sun, but if people are seriously saying that it is really enough for the major, THE MAJOR, and foremost Dead Pooling website in the English speaking world ( fuck me, we are even global ) then the forum is even more fucked than I thought it was.

  

 

 

Agree with you mate, and absolute travesty of a pick that echoes all the fucking problems with this site cowtowing to it's forum populace who are a few hundred at most dedicated souls of thousands of people, if not tens of thousands of people who casually browse the front page.

 

The latter group should not have to google any of our fucking picks. Now they have to google half of them

 

He's a fucking obscure cunt and I'm fucking done with this place. Full of shite-hawks who've lost the plot.

 

My DDP team will be going in in future and that's it. Fuck this fucking shithole you bunch of fucking twats. I hope all you all have the reality of death waved in your face so cold and proper you realise it's nor funny or a game, you fucking cunthawks. Maybe you'll all tie a noose round your own necks seen as deaths such a fucking joke.

 

That includes cunts like @Death Impends @Paul Bearer @Grim Reaper @DevonDeathTrip and all the other moderation and admin cunts who think there gods gift to the fucking deadpooling universe. Go shove a knive through your throats and do us all a favour you fucking bunch of sock-wanking necrophiliacs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use