Grim Reaper

David Crosby

One of his last tweets:

325360178_569056475088134_9001340288650514415_n.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Jack Klugman was on four consecutive DLs then dropped the year he died.

December 2012 when Klugman died is also when Patrick Moore died. Another frequent member who had been dropped. Both would likely have been on the 2013 list I imagine . 

Variety source now has this...

Clarification: An earlier version of this story included a statement attributed to Jan Crosby that Variety has not been able to independently confirm with others in Crosby’s camp.

No, there's still confirmation from his rep in the article.

(Not to mention Rolling Stone and Billboard confirmed it with his family. If he is still alive, it would be an unprecedented fuckup. :dead2:)

• Like 1

Genuinely surprised and saddened by this news. I thought he'd outlast SN&Y just out of sheer WTF?!!?

Maybe Dick Cheney has also been closer to death all this time than we have thought. I thought chances of Cheney going this year were slim, but for Crosby even slimmer. Two 1941 born celebrities the DL Committee adores who we thought were premature picks.

Also surprising to discover Crosby dated fellow DL candidate, Joni Mitchell (who will likely reappear on the 2024 DL if she makes it).

As an overweight diabetic with a second-hand-liver and eight stents in his heart who frequently spoke of his impending demise I’m surprised so many people agreed with the decision to take him off this year’s list. That being said I’m impressed by the quantity and quality of his artistic output in his final years. Rest In Peace David, you were a superb musician and countercultural icon. 

• Like 1

Some sources have been suggesting Crosby’s cause of death was (long) COVID. I’m now really regretting omitting Willie Nelson from my 2023 shadowlist. Nearly a decade older than Crosby, Nelson was gravely ill with COVID last year about the same time as Crosby, and Nelson has experienced emphysema and so many other health issues over his 90 years. I really should have put Nelson on, I don’t blame myself so much for missing Crosby.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, The Daredevil said:

Some sources have been suggesting Crosby’s cause of death was (long) COVID. I’m now really regretting omitting Willie Nelson from my 2023 shadowlist. Nearly a decade older than Crosby, Nelson was gravely ill with COVID last year about the same time as Crosby, I really should have put Nelson on, Crosby I don’t blame myself so much.

Arguably there’s no such thing.

He was tweeting yesterday and had announced last year that he wanted to go on the road again. I think it’s more likely that he had a sudden medical turn ie heart attack or stroke.

• Like 1

His publicists seem pretty mum in every article I've read so far. I doubt anyone saying they know the cause for sure isn't just guessing.

The NYT obit indicates he died on the evening of the 18th. Given he appeared as active as usual yesterday, it seems hard to believe he would simultaneously have been dying of elongated COVID. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Surely if you want to search for Crosby's death, you'd use Bing.

If the Nobel Prize Committee had an award for Best Joke of the Year, you've won it, sir!

• Haha 1

It’s a shame there’s been hardly any love for him on here, just death-time discussion. He may have had lifelong tendencies to wankerdom, but he was a great singer/writer, almost as good as Gene Clark and Stills/Young of his bandmates. His debut album is wonderful, and his autobiography is fascinating, as I remember. 

Weirdly, I sang four of his songs yesterday, before the news came out.

RIP ya ornery millionaire-hippie bugger. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

December 2012 when Klugman died is also when Patrick Moore died. Another frequent member who had been dropped. Both would likely have been on the 2013 list I imagine . 

Ernest Borgnine would have also returned on the 2013 list if he had lived.

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

It’s a shame there’s been hardly any love for him on here, just death-time discussion. He may have had lifelong tendencies to wankerdom, but he was a great singer/writer, almost as good as Gene Clark and Stills/Young of his bandmates. His debut album is wonderful, and his autobiography is fascinating, as I remember. 

Absolutely, he was huge part of my jingle-jangle, folkie, acoustic soundscape.  I also found out recently that he came up with the opening riffs for the Grateful Dead's Playing in the Band.

Had he known about it I'm sure he'd have been delighted to outfox the DeathList by a couple of weeks :rip:

I don't think it is an embarrassing miss for the committee.Most people on here stated he should be dropped.

9 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Totally agree with the assessment - it's likey there were bits of his songwriting that had influence in the most unlikely places, like UK's more grungy output towards the end of the last century, y'know, bands like Winterset could pack a good sequence of chords and deft vocal moves under all that noise.

15 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Arguably there’s no such thing.

He was tweeting yesterday and had announced last year that he wanted to go on the road again. I think it’s more likely that he had a sudden medical turn ie heart attack or stroke.

Or a one-off return to the crack pipe for old time's sake.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I don't think it is an embarrassing miss for the committee.Most people on here stated he should be dropped.

I think he'd claimed to be close to death so long people thought he was crying wolf or exaggerating at the very least.

I wouldn't call Crosby a miss. Yes he was on the list, and yes he was said to be frail/ill. But the purpose of the list is sorting to come up with 50 celebs that are likely to die. There were and are sicker/older celebs that deserved to be on list over him. Of course one can argue that people like Cheney and Alda shouldn't have been on the list over him. But let's keep in mind that Crosby had approximately the same chances of dying than those two (to quote only two) : this is just unpredictable at this stage. 

People that I would call "misses" would be Vialli, Whales, Vitti, Trintignant and Nichols last year. Even Constantin II was not a miss per se, there were people more sick and frail than him. 

• Like 2

Round and round she goes and where she stops nobody knows.

Row row your boat gently down the stream merely merely merely life is but a dream.

• Facepalm 1

New Variety article about his health and last days, if anyone's curious.

[Steve] Postell was on the phone with Crosby on Wednesday morning, going over plans they were laying for a two-night stand in Santa Barbara, set for Feb. 22-23, with plans to have the shows recorded for a possible live album. The planned shows, a 150th anniversary celebration of the Lobero Theatre, would have set the template for a tour to follow at mid-year. After hanging up with Crosby late in the morning, Postell spent the afternoon rehearsing the full set list they’d plotted out, staying in communication with James Raymond, Crosby’s son and a fellow member of the band. In the evening, Postell wrapped up his solo rehearsal and texted “Croz” with further thoughts, only to shortly get a text back from Raymond that his father had died.  

“There was some misinformation” about Crosby, 81, having been seriously ill, Postell says, “but there always is. It’s hard for people to get the straight story.” A press release that went out from a publicist unknown to most reporters, quoting Crosby’s wife as saying he died after a long illness, muddled the matter in the media, since the singer had not been known to be seriously ill. “That’s a very confusing thing,” says the musician. “He was a weakened guy from a lot of different preexisting conditions, and everyone knew it — he talked about it in his documentary [2019’s “David Crosby: Remember My Name] — but he was not dying. We were rehearsing. We were going out to dinner.”

• Like 4