Grim Reaper

Tom Smith

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

My self-interest is him not dying.

Because that Poker Tourney leaderboard will take a hammering!

So, which one of us rings him to ask how he's doing?

• Haha 1

A mildly positive update on his progress was posted on Twitter 2 days ago: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perhaps said:

Drat

1 hour ago, Perhaps said:

You mean mildly positive for HIM

You've seen the tonnage of DDP jokers riding on this, right?

Has there ever been a deadpool in which someone got the full 100% hit rate? Apart from Advent Avalanche, MMMDP and the like...

Because whoever wants to get there has to resist picking people like Tom Smith - those who seem to be fucked by all accounts, yet persist, and die 1-3 years later.

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Has there ever been a deadpool in which someone got the full 100% hit rate? Apart from Advent Avalanche, MMMDP and the like...

Because whoever wants to get there has to resist picking people like Tom Smith - those who seem to be fucked by all accounts, yet persist, and die 1-3 years later.

The closest I can recall is Spade's 2016 DDP team which got 18/20.

If anyone can ever achieve the full house it'll be impressive to say the least.

I think if someone ever gets a 100% completion rate in a dead pool, it’ll be someone a bit flukey with their choices and not someone who puts in a ton of research tbh...

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

I think if someone ever gets a 100% completion rate in a dead pool, it’ll be someone a bit flukey with their choices and not someone who puts in a ton of research tbh...

Or a really clever serial killer. 

• Like 3

49 today. :birthday:

Who would have thought that?

Jokers gonna joke...

• Like 3

My grandmother's neighbor always said, that dying people often wait for special events to come like their birthday.

Tom, the finish line is crossed!

On 30/08/2020 at 15:41, gcreptile said:

So Rotten Ali - once a frequent poster and a genuine dead pooling legend (I know, I perused his vast folders of statistical research about a decade back at a DLCon) - almost did the dead pooling equivalent of a four minute mile or clean sweep. He was so named because at the time the world's biggest dead pool was the Rotten Dead Pool in the USA and nobody had done the full ten out of ten in that. Ali landed nine in a calendar year before his tenth pick died a few weeks after his competition ended. 

Nobody ever did the ten out of ten in that pool and they had somewhere well above 10,000 people competing at any one time. Not sure anyone has done a complete slam on a team of ten or twenty hereabouts either. 

Would love to hear from Ali, because what's happened with this Covid lark is pretty much what he predicted might happen with Ebola.

45 minutes ago, Toast said:

Would love to hear from Ali, because what's happened with this Covid lark is pretty much what he predicted might happen with Ebola.

He's still alive and well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

He's still alive and well. 

And remains a dead pooling legend  - albeit a distant one these days

I am genuinely gobsmacked that Tom Smith got removed from the list, ngl

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I am genuinely gobsmacked that Tom Smith got removed from the list, ngl

Me too.

Imagine if this turns out to be a good call by the committee...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Imagine if this turns out to be a good call by the committee...

I'm trying not to given the reliance my various 2021 teams have on him

OK, so for those of you not following the Tom Smith story in 2021, a quick resume. As noted in January by Crem, he started the year with good news.

In March he was interviewed by the Times, where he told them he needed chemo every fortnight to keep the cancer at bay, as his cancer is currently wrapped around an important blood vessel and therefore surgery was risky and to be avoided unless urgently necessary life or death stuff.

Smith’s tumour is wrapped around a blood vessel, making surgery a complicated prospect. “If they operate, they have to stop the chemo, and it also increases the risk of it spreading,” he explains. “We’re still in that position of, ‘why take the risk now if it can potentially create other problems?’ Surgery is on the back burner for now

A few weeks ago, the Times spoke to Matt Dawson and I didn't really pay attention until now to the note near the bottom of the article that Tom Smith had that surgery in July and is off chemo until the end of August as a result.

Hmm. Watch this space for grimmer updates in the near future then.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, msc said:

OK, so for those of you not following the Tom Smith story in 2021, a quick resume. As noted in January by Crem, he started the year with good news.

In March he was interviewed by the Times, where he told them he needed chemo every fortnight to keep the cancer at bay, as his cancer is currently wrapped around an important blood vessel and therefore surgery was risky and to be avoided unless urgently necessary life or death stuff.

A few weeks ago, the Times spoke to Matt Dawson and I didn't really pay attention until now to the note near the bottom of the article that Tom Smith had that surgery in July and is off chemo until the end of August as a result.

Hmm. Watch this space for grimmer updates in the near future then.

Doesn’t feel like a this year death now though.

2 year’s jokers wasted on him.

8 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Doesn’t feel like a this year death now though.

2 year’s jokers wasted on him.

Oh famous last words but I think the Cmme have done a smart thing dropping him this year. But the juries out for 2022 now...

Number one next year or two houlda probably kept him on If he dies this year that would be iroinic considering he was one of 5 the other four are proably gonner in years to come. Lol Should have kept him and Piggot and Put King, Lloyd, Mann, Kumar, Mason, Muller and Locke. And also Arkin, Whale, Duke of Kent, Nicolas and Hopkins