Grim Reaper

William H Gates

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

I bet no one knew him when he was an MEP.Most people cant even name their current MEP.If pointless did a MEP question at the moment only Nigel Farage Ann Widdecombe Richard Tice and Annunzuara Rees Mogg wouldn't be pointless answers I reckon..MostMEPs wouldn't get recognised in the street even nowadays let alone before the Referendum 

Obviously he's no longer an MEP as of 12th December there, but last time Pointless asked about MEPs, Alyn Smith wasn't a Pointless answer - possibly as his profile as prominent Scottish Remainer was a lot higher in Scotland.

I remember this because he was my go to Pointless answer only for Richard Osman to name the sod!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, msc said:

Obviously he's no longer an MEP as of 12th December there, but last time Pointless asked about MEPs, Alyn Smith wasn't a Pointless answer - possibly as his profile as prominent Scottish Remainer was a lot higher in Scotland.

I remember this because he was my go to Pointless answer only for Richard Osman to name the sod!

I thought about Alyn Smith when I was writing but I wondered if he only came to mind as I'm a politics nerd.Only other current ones I can name are Seb Dance Lucy Harris Ben Habib David Bull Catherine Bearded Magis Magid Richard Corbett Catherine Bearder Geoffrey Van Orden Daniel Hannan Judith Buntin Belinda de Cambourne Lucy June Mummery.

Hannan probably wouldn't be a pointless answer actually .

If you ask me who MEPs in the 80s were I would only be able to tell you Stanley Johnson and that is only as he is Boris's Dad.

Oh and the two Alexandra Phillips who have the same name.I remember their names.

Oh and gravel voiced Marxist Claire Fox.

14 minutes ago, Sean said:

I thought about Alyn Smith when I was writing but I wondered if he only came to mind as I'm a politics nerd.Only other current ones I can name are Seb Dance Lucy Harris Ben Habib David Bull Catherine Bearded Magis Magid Richard Corbett Catherine Bearder Geoffrey Van Orden Daniel Hannan Judith Buntin Belinda de Cambourne Lucy June Mummery.

Hannan probably wouldn't be a pointless answer actually .

If you ask me who MEPs in the 80s were I would only be able to tell you Stanley Johnson and that is only as he is Boris's Dad.

Only 80s MEP I could name without google is Winnie Ewing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Only 80s MEP I could name without google is Winnie Ewing!

I bet that is purely a result of Deadpool expertise though?

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

I bet that is purely a result of Deadpool expertise though?

Again, a terminal case of being Scottish!

Although tbf she was an MEP until something like 2003 so well into the time I started noticing political news. Still alive, but last I heard not in the best of health.

10 hours ago, msc said:

Re famous MEPs - hardly anyone knew who Pete Skinner was in south east England. Oddly, he was the most famous local MEP for a while after he stood down (2014) - might have had something to do with the very public arrest and jailing that followed once the authorities had got a handle on how he handled his expenses (even spent public money on snorkelling equipment - not entirely sure how that helped his constituents)

10 hours ago, msc said:

Again, a terminal case of being Scottish!

Although tbf she was an MEP until something like 2003 so well into the time I started noticing political news. Still alive, but last I heard not in the best of health.

Barbara Castle was also an MEP in the 80's.

MEPs famous for stuff other than MEPing? Reinhold Messner was an MEP for the Italian Green party in the 90s.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

how about both.  shane macgowan?  what's the medical and/or lifestyle reason for that stupidity?  If he dies in the next 5 years (date: 6 Jan 2025) Sir Creep shall permanently leave this group.  I'm upping the 5 Pounds of Coffee Challenge. 

@YoungWillz Did you get your photo from Creep regarding a coffee challenge?

So since Bill Gates's Dad is on here, can Roberta McCain have her own thread?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Still no.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Surely the John McCain one will suffice?

Its useless, she's basically dead already

Gates Sr only has a thread because he's on the DeathList (not exactly a page I'm on, but the committee has their ways...). If it wasn't for that he'd never have a standalone thread.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Gates Sr only has a thread because he's on the DeathList (not exactly a page I'm on, but the committee has their ways...). If it wasn't for that he'd never have a standalone thread.

So why isn't Roberta McCain on the list?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

We don't get to decide who's on the list.

7 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Because all the 'had their chips' gags had been used up when John died?

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

We don't get to decide who's on the list.

I'm not wanting to over ride the committee's decision, I'm just pointing out theres a double standard here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

I'm not wanting to over ride the committee's decision, I'm just pointing out theres a double standard here.

And I'm pointing out that as we don't make the decisions, we can't explain them.

The situation is:

The committee put Gates senior on the list, therefore he automatically gets a thread.  He wouldn't have a thread if he wasn't on the list.

The general feeling among most members is that he isn't independently famous enough to warrant being on the list, and neither is Roberta McCain.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

And I'm pointing out that as we don't make the decisions, we can't explain them.

The situation is:

The committee put Gates senior on the list, therefore he automatically gets a thread.  He wouldn't have a thread if he wasn't on the list.

The general feeling among most members is that he isn't independently famous enough to warrant being on the list, and neither is Roberta McCain.

Then why cant we question the committee? If they bend their own rules then surely we can too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Then why cant we question the committee? If they bend their own rules then surely we can too.

Feel free to question the committee.  Good luck with that.

Anyway, why are you so keen to have a separate thread for Roberta McCain?  There's not much to say about her.

• Like 1