Joey Russ

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2020 List

First reactions,

1. Dick van Dyke being so high is strange considering most forumers I would think have booted them from their lists entirely due to his fairly good health.
  2. Michiko would've been a better choice than Akihito.
  3. Leon Spinks being on the list is a *little* bit of a stretch, but I understand him being there. However #12 is WAY too high.
  4. Edrich and Piggott being there doesn't make sense to me as their health issues are over a decade old (nearly 2 decades).
  5. Shane MacGowan again (awful)
  6. Terry Jones is despicably low.
  7. Bill Gates Sr. is a huge surprise considering he's just someone's father.
  • Thanks 2

The committee obviously knows something about Alan Greenspan and Dick van Dyke that we don't. Otherwise I kinda like it.  Solidly optimistic. 

3 minutes ago, Banana said:

Bill Gates Sr. is a huge surprise considering he's just someone's father.

Not just someone's father. Bill Gates father. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Paul Bearer said:

Not just someone's father. Bill Gates father. 

I don’t see any distinction unfortunately

• Like 3

Pretty good list overall. RBG debuting at the right moment. The only disappointing drop is Gorbachev - he's very unlikely to live to be 90\91.

Looks pretty promising! It’s also got a couple of names I removed from mine because I didn’t think they were enough of a household name so I’m kicking myself a bit :evil:

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

So, the new list is coming out in about 45 minutes. What are your thoughts on the overall list?

Some early thoughts.   Quite bold to put Prince Philip in no 1 spot but who knows it could pay off ! Daniel Arap Moi is a good pick, good to see Leslie Philips back, hope that Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sir David Attenborough are not going in 2020 but sadly Ruth might.I doubt Attenborough will just yet though. ! Surely at least  one of the centenarians will go this year you would think ! I'm a bit surprised to see Dick van Dyke there as he seems to be in decent health but you never know at that age I guess.     I'll take a closer look at the list and get back to you  ...

P.S Happy new Year everybody ! 

A little too tipsy to give a detailed analysis but some initial scattergun random type thoughts. 

I am surprised that Pope Benedict and Jill Gascoigne did not return. I suspect the committee may come to regret that along with the dropping of Jimmy Greaves. 

Nevertheless I think this year will top last year but will be overshadowed by the fact it could have been even more successful if some of the drops and non returns had been a bit different. 

Keeping Bob Barker, Nobby Stiles and Honor Blackman are good decisions. 

Some more creative brave unusual picks here like Genesis Porridge  and I'm surprised but pleased to see Imelda Marcos make the list.

This past year showed picking almost exclusively old people for the list could be more successful than expected.  That being said, I don't see the logic in Dick Van Dyke being near the top of the list.  He's still a working actor and in good health for a nonagenarian.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/12/24/dick-van-dyke/

My first thoughts on this year's list is we are heading for a record! 

Duke of Edinburgh deservedly top, Dick Van Dyke surprisingly way high up, interesting newbies. 

Gorbachev should not have been dropped

• Like 3

The 12 dropped at a glance

June Brown

Barbara Walters

Ed Asner

Vanessa Redgrave

Jimmy Greaves

Sidney Poitier

Cleo Laine

Loretta Lynn

Mikhail Gorbechev

Little Richard

Larry King

Tina Turner

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

The committee obviously knows something about Alan Greenspan and Dick van Dyke that we don't. Otherwise I kinda like it.  Solidly optimistic. 

Aye, which is always a good thing - MacGowan  and Crosby stand out for me as Lemmy/Keith Richard cases of improbable longevity - if and when the tabloids take an interest it'd likely be Shane they'll mention. 

Sutcliffe might outlive Peter Tobin but it wouldn't surprise me to see them both out of the game by year's end and Tobin probably isn't celeb enough for the list. So Sutcliffe is a good pick if only because there's that feel good factor when a notorious criminal carks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ebless said:

The 12 dropped at a glance

June Brown

Barbara Walters

Ed Asner

Vanessa Redgrave

Jimmy Greaves

Sidney Poitier

Cleo Laine

Loretta Lynn

Mikhail Gorbechev

Little Richard

Larry King

Tina Turner

Tina Turner was an insta-drop.  

Shane MacGowan has no physical or age or otherwise reason to be on last year’s list.

So let’s bring him forward at the expense of _______. 

just fucking ridiculous.  ‘Free Space’ may as well put.

First impression: decidedly mixed. Some great additions, some puzzling removals. Bill Gates' father... okay, as a DDP pick yes, but on the list? Well, we'll see. It's not bad,  but I think in the end, the hit count will be 1-2 below the potential.

• Like 1

Bill Gates, Sr.

brought to you by whom?   None other than Sir Creep (See: Advent Avalanche Form Guide #10)

Same person who brought you Ginger Baker.  The Committee is learning who to pay attention to.

SC

Just now, Sir Creep said:

Bill Gates, Sr.

brought to you by whom?   None other than Sir Creep (See: Advent Avalanche Form Guide #10)

Same person who brought you Ginger Baker.  The Committee is learning who to pay attention to.

SC

Ahem, I was the first to post about Mr. Gates' Alzheimer's, and I was the one who opened the Ginger Baker thread.

Kirk should be Number 1 in place of the Prince. As a 103 year old hes just far far more likely to die than Philip.

compliments to the committee. In generally the list is pretty well. Bill Gates' father is a bit surprising and I have never heard of John Eldrich. But the newcomers are almost all well chosen, maybe Lee Kerslake or van halen could have been added. I guess 14 hits this year. Kirk should remain number 1, as a living legend of the Deathlist he deserve the top of the list,

Happy New Year to all of you!

• Like 1

It's nice to see Prince Philip as #1.

Not the best imo. So many healthy old people showing a history of people being chosen just for being famous and old. I do the same, but just because an old A list celebrity could randomly get pneumonia and die doesn't make them a good pick. Other people seem satisfied. A little disappointing that in the top 23 names only one isn't over 90. 

Deathlist criteria: They're pushing 100? Better include them in the deathlist for the next ten years :( 

3 minutes ago, John Key said:

Not the best imo. So many healthy old people showing a history of people being chosen just for being famous and old. I do the same, but just because an old A list celebrity could randomly get pneumonia and die doesn't make them a good pick. Other people seem satisfied. Alittle disappointing to that in the top 23 names only one isn't over 90. 

Deathlist criteria: They're pushing 100? Better include them in the deathlist for the next ten years :( 

Yeah kinda agree with you. Cba to check the older DeathLists but it feels like they're using the strategy of picking people that are just Too Old To Fail. 

• Like 1

Really feels like the committee have decided to relax the fame requirements a bit before. You always knew the Deathlist was a cut above the rest, it would never compete in the DDP seriously because it picked actually celebrities. Philip rightfully first is good.

Yes Bill Gates Sr is notable, but he's hardly a bonafide celebrity is he. He's not Bill Gates to be really crass.  Similarly is Genesis P-Orridge or Alan Greenspan really that famous?

Tom Smith, Leon Spinks are okay but borderline on that score for. Sports-people but is every sports person properly famous.

Pervez Musharraf is cheating.....

Dropping 92 year old chainsmoker June Brown is unforgivable though....... was Tony Bennet really a better use of a spot?