Joey Russ

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2020 List

Actually a bit disappointed in this one. Seems to be leaning hard on politicians and old folk over making the list actually interesting, and I don't think Gates Sr. and arap Moi should be on it at all based on fame levels. Musharraf is famous enough, but seems less like 'might die this year' and more like 'maybe he'll be assassinated?' from the committee. 

While I disagree with the old folks home theme the list has been going more and more on the last couple of years, I feel like even if they just wanted to fill the list with old folks there were better choices all around. Qaboos would have been a better pick that Gates Sr. / arap Moi / Musharraf / JPdC if you wanted to go with less famous and/or politicians, and I think Dilip Kumar should have made the list - he'll get the needed QOs easy, and it's not like the aforementioned less famous names are household names in the UK either.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2020 at 01:29, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, which is always a good thing - MacGowan  and Crosby stand out for me as Lemmy/Keith Richard cases of improbable longevity - if and when the tabloids take an interest it'd likely be Shane they'll mention. 

Sutcliffe might outlive Peter Tobin but it wouldn't surprise me to see them both out of the game by year's end and Tobin probably isn't celeb enough for the list. So Sutcliffe is a good pick if only because there's that feel good factor when a notorious criminal carks.

If Bill Gates Sr and Ruby Muhammad are celeb enough, anyone is

Gorbachev and Little Richard should not have been dropped

Nicholas Parsons and Desmond Morris should have been on

Bill Gates' dad is not really a deathlisty name and some of the other picks are questionable

But overall a good list

The average age of this year's list is almost identical to DL 2019. I cannot share the claim that we have more old people than previous years. This years age-average = 89.12 and last year was 89.02. The previous years also showed no significant increase.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CastAway said:

I don't think [...] arap Moi should be on it at all based on fame levels.

He's emininently obitable (Kenya being a former British colony and wotnot) - he's a major name in the world of Sub Saharan despots, one rung below Mugabe but on par with Kaunda. Remember the amount of keruffle when Mobutu died? There'll be prominent coverage of his passing in the sensible grown-up media unlike, say, Bill Gates dad (or Bob Barker / Alex Trabek this side of the pond)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CastAway said:

Actually a bit disappointed in this one. Seems to be leaning hard on politicians and old folk over making the list actually interesting, and I don't think Gates Sr. and arap Moi should be on it at all based on fame levels. Musharraf is famous enough, but seems less like 'might die this year' and more like 'maybe he'll be assassinated?' from the committee. 

While I disagree with the old folks home theme the list has been going more and more on the last couple of years, I feel like even if they just wanted to fill the list with old folks there were better choices all around. Qaboos would have been a better pick that Gates Sr. / arap Moi / Musharraf / JPdC if you wanted to go with less famous and/or politicians, and I think Dilip Kumar should have made the list - he'll get the needed QOs easy, and it's not like the aforementioned less famous names are household names in the UK either.

BLASPHEMY! :evil:

2 hours ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

He's emininently obitable (Kenya being a former British colony and wotnot) - he's a major name in the world of Sub Saharan despots, one rung below Mugabe but on par with Kaunda. Remember the amount of keruffle when Mobutu died? There'll be prominent coverage of his passing in the sensible grown-up media unlike, say, Bill Gates dad (or Bob Barker / Alex Trabek this side of the pond)

I'm not arguing obitability, simply fame levels.

I don't disagree that he'll be all over actual news when he carks, but will people in general care? Even w/ JPdC being the most boring person in the world, at least being ex-Sec Gen means that he'll get the attention of regular people.

2 hours ago, drol said:

BLASPHEMY! :evil:

:rolleyes:

On 01/01/2020 at 02:36, Prophet said:

Is it even allowed to pick people who are sentenced to death?

Not if being on death row is the only reason for their fame, as then they fall foul of the "only being famous because they're likely to die soon" rule. But if they are already famous for other reasons then they should be fair game.

• Like 1

A lot of names that can be linked to French in one way or another (some very loosely admittedly)

Pierre Cardin (naturalized French)

Valery Giscard d'Estaing (French)

Jacques Delors (French)

Abdelaziz Bouteflika (Algeria was formerly a part of France)

Jean-Marie Le Pen (French)

5 genuine (10%) plus these 3 made up:-

Olivia DE Havilland (just the French word De - dodgy inclusion I know)

Daniel Arap MOI (Moi - French for me)

Javier Perez DE Cuellar (just the French word De - dodgy inclusion I know)

1 in 10 names on the list French and Peter Sutcliffe too.

A lot of reasons to potentially be very happy during 2020. :P

Glad to see Doctor Who gets one place on the 2020 list and wrestling none.

I could argue that Doctor Who should claim Prince Philip because of The Crown.

15 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Glad to see Doctor Who gets one place on the 2020 list and wrestling none.

I could argue that Doctor Who should claim Prince Philip because of The Crown.

Yeah, you're right, list needs more wrestlers.

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

A lot of names that can be linked to French in one way or another (some very loosely admittedly)

Pierre Cardin (naturalized French)

Valery Giscard d'Estaing (French)

Jacques Delors (French)

Abdelaziz Bouteflika (Algeria was formerly a part of France)

Jean-Marie Le Pen (French)

5 genuine (10%) plus these 3 made up:-

Olivia DE Havilland (just the French word De - dodgy inclusion I know)

Daniel Arap MOI (Moi - French for me)

Javier Perez DE Cuellar (just the French word De - dodgy inclusion I know)

1 in 10 names on the list French and Peter Sutcliffe too.

A lot of reasons to potentially be very happy during 2020. :P

Olivia lives in France so can be said to have strong french links.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.0392ef6c0cebe30a9e7b2270e6ac1f90.png

We are now ahead of any recent years and will be for about the next three weeks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

That mistake, you forgot to change Series11 to 2020.

Not only do I think the DL record will be broken but I reckon the final number could range in the early 20s.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Fastest start since 2000 (4/50 by 23rd Feb - Stanley Matthews, Don Budge, Charlie Schulz and EW Swanton) - only time before we've had 4 deaths before March.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ebless said:

Not only do I think the DL record will be broken but I reckon the final number could range in the early 20s.

Looks like that. The monthly average is 2 deaths until now, which means 24 hits per year, but considering quiet period of a couple of weeks I think that its very likely that the final score might be around 20... 

3 hours ago, Deadpool said:

Looks like that. The monthly average is 2 deaths until now, which means 24 hits per year, but considering quiet period of a couple of weeks I think that its very likely that the final score might be around 20... 

Keep in mind that as more of them die, the framing pool shrinks, meaning that the rate should slowly decrease.

yes this is the joint best year in death list history along with the year 2000.Can't complain about that ! If we continue at the current rate there will be 24 hits by the end of the  year.Maybe that's a bit optimistic, but I have a feeling we will break the record of 17 hits  ! I predict the biggest death of the year will be Prince Philip ! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, QueenElizabethIsAlmostDead said:

Keep in mind that as more of them die, the framing pool shrinks, meaning that the rate should slowly decrease.

You would expect a few hits early in the year from those known to be gravely ill when the list is compiled. It's also just as possible the hits dry up after a fast start as in 2011. How Coronavirus might effect the list is another matter.

• I REALLY Need To Get A Life!
  •  
  • Grim Up North
  • Members
  • 2,040 posts

Since Charles Lane died in July 2007 the number 4 slot on the Death List has been a very safe place to be, at least for the next twelve months, with not a single hit.

Prince Phil currently keeping the sequence going.

For a place so high up on the list that is quite surprising however it is not the safest place to find yourself. That would be at number 32 where no-one has died whilst holding the slot since Lionel Hampton on 30th August 2002. This year (and last year) Valery Giscard D'Estaing has responsibility of keeping the sequence going.

To update this post from October 2019 the people tasked with keeping these sequences going are Vera Lynn and Jerry Stiller.

image.thumb.png.82d90d16494ce30f2b21a24e67177af3.png

Strong starts can often plateau after the initial surge but there is a 33 day window for the next hit to stay ahead of 2008

That is annoying it has reverted back to Series 11 on my spreadsheet it definitely says 2020.

Very strong start.That record looks almost certain to be beaten this year.

• Like 1

WOW With the sixth hit having just happened nearly half way through March, the 2017 record might actually be under threat! 

• Like 1