Joey Russ

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2020 List

There is one DL record that surprisingly the 2020 cull has not yet beaten - the total years on Death List of those that have died in the year.

After 14 deaths including such big hitters as O de H (13 years), Kirk (18 years) and Vera (12 years) you would have thought 2020 would have nailed this over all previous lists.

However it currently sits with a total of 72 years of Death List entries for its dead due to a lot of virgin appearances dying (6) balancing the average.

2004 with only 12 hits including Ronald Reagan (14 years) and Alistair Cooke (10 years) still currently hangs on to the record with 73 years of Death List entries for its dead. Only Rodney Dangerfield was a virgin appearance of those that died in 2004.

There are still 11 first timers surviving on the 2020 list that means it might still take two more deaths to break this record.

• Like 2

there's only 9 weeks before the end of the year and I doubt there won't be at last one more hit. My guesses on who is the most likely to die before the end of 2020 are (sorted by probability) : Peter Sutcliffe, Tom Smith, Alex Trebek, Bob Dole, Leslie Philips, VGE and Leon Spinks. All the other ones seem pretty safe for me, but I wouldn't be that surprised to have an unexpected death such as Delors or Marcos 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

there's only 9 weeks before the end of the year and I doubt there won't be at last one more hit. My guesses on who is the most likely to die before the end of 2020 are (sorted by probability) : Peter Sutcliffe, Tom Smith, Alex Trebek, Bob Dole, Leslie Philips, VGE and Leon Spinks. All the other ones seem pretty safe for me, but I wouldn't be that surprised to have an unexpected death such as Delors or Marcos 

Well especially with Covid increasing we could see several deaths.Most on the list are very high risk.

• Like 1

The ones I don't expect to go this year are Attenborough, Lansbury, Nelson, Scales, Crosby, Cheney, Musharraf, Bennett and Macgowan. Having said that, if any of them get Covid then all bets are off. 

• Like 1

Who on the committee really thought it was a good idea to put John fucking Edrich over Sean Connery? I really don’t know what the fuck they’re thinking sometimes...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Who on the committee really thought it was a good idea to put John fucking Edrich over Sean Connery? I really don’t know what the fuck they’re thinking sometimes...

Again, though, a lot easier to say after he’s died.

Edrich is a shit pick, though.

6 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Again, though, a lot easier to say after he’s died.

Edrich is a shit pick, though.

That may be true, but there were certainly folk cheering for him to return after he got dropped from the list to return.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The only d/p I had Connery in was the Scavenger Hunt, and that only because of the Bond film category.  I thought he had a year or two left in him, and clearly so did they.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Toast said:

The only d/p I had Connery in was the Scavenger Hunt, and that only because of the Bond film category.  I thought he had a year or two left in him, and clearly so did they.

He did not wave to his fans from his balcony like Doris Day did on her 90th birthday.

There were no photos from his birthday party either. 

All warning signs.

And he looked terribly frail on that video that someone posted last year.

Hindsight eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

He did not wave to his fans from his balcony like Doris Day did on her 90th birthday

There were no photos from his birthday party either.

All warning signs.

Whatever Doris Day, or anyone else, might have done is irrelevant.

I wouldn't particularly expect to see birthday party photos anyway.  Was that something he regularly did?

• Like 1

Every single time we get this avalanche of protests about a 'big miss' by the committee .

To the best of my knowledge nobody has done consistently better with their shadow lists if that's the right nomenclature for where you do your own 50. And even if they had, it's one persons guesses v another (possibly set of) persons.

It's a guessing game, you are comparing a bunch of guesses made by some folks with an eye to being interesting against the reality 'after the event'.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Another fucking expert after the event. 

Why is everybody here so easily offended?

Not having this British/Scottish superstar on the list was a big miss.

Please, calm down.

If the Queen dies this year or next year without having been on the list, i will complain again though. :P

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Why is everybody here so easily offended?

From whence do you draw this conclusion? Bored of folks posting unsupportable, opinionated crap? yes. Offended? no.

11 minutes ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Not having this British/Scottish superstar on the list was a big miss.

No, as has been patiently explained, it wasn't.

12 minutes ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Please, calm down.

Since I'm not offended and it's probably not a great leap on my part to suggest that Toast and PB aren't either,  we are calm,  but thanks for checking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Another fucking expert after the event. 

Tbf Joey has been consistent on the Edrich pick  (over better former pick options like Jill Gascoine) since January 1st.

Mostly because John "beat cancer 10 years ago, only 82 years old" Edrich is a dull and rubbish pick.

It's their list, they can pick who they want.

"Fans" (for lack of a better term for why this forum exists) have the right to bitch and moan about it all they want, and be frustrated by former DL names dying off the list.

Now everyone calm by remembering the time they had to axe the following line for Sean Connery in Red October (remember his lisp here): "What a beautiful site!" :D

• Like 1

On 20/09/2020 at 15:39, Bibliogryphon said:

Just for @Deadpool and any one else who is interested

image.thumb.png.e361ca3c0615591d2bcedb3549703fc3.png

Can we have an updated version ? I love these graphs btw thanks a lot

32 minutes ago, msc said:

Tbf Joey has been consistent on the Edrich pick  (over better former pick options like Jill Gascoine) since January 1st

Tbf mostly because he's never heard of John Edrich.  ;)

Anyway the sudden return of JE to the list made me wonder if someone on the Committee had some inside info. 

If Edrich is included for some random in joke such as there must be someone on the list whose name rhymes with ostrich, they could always try Susan Estrich next year instead. 

3 hours ago, Deathrace said:

If Edrich is included for some random in joke such as there must be someone on the list whose name rhymes with ostrich, they could always try Susan Estrich next year instead. 

I think the committee are all big cricket fans, so there will probably always be cricketers on the list. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I think the committee are all big cricket fans, so there will probably always be cricketers on the list. 

So Geoffrey Boycott at some point is likely...

Actually I don't think John Edrich is that bad pick. No one would be surprise if a relatively old man who survived advanced cancer seemingly by miracle would die. That said, Sean Connery deserved inclusion, with rumours (which were true) about his deteriorating health going on for at least ten years and him being 90, and an absolute cultural icon.

For comparison Clint Eastwood is 90 too, but he is so fit and active I'd be really surprised if he died this year. So did I just curse him?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

For comparison Clint Eastwood is 90 too, but he is so fit and active I'd be really surprised if he died this year. So did I just curse him?

Well,  if he does go, there will be about 15 people queueing up to point out that it's another appalling miss by the committee :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

So Geoffrey Boycott at some point is likely...

Well Eileen Ash is 109 so nearly 30 years older than Boycott (although no history of cancer) & also a Test cricketer but is never on the list. So possibly the list compilers are not cricket fans.