Joey Russ

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2020 List

6 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Well,  if he does go, there will be about 15 people queueing up to point out that it's another appalling miss by the committee :D

I think in the case of people saying  it about Jill Gascoigne, Little Richard and Sean Connery this year is because they were names previously on the list but removed  rather than names that had  never been on the list. I suspect that is what some posters mean ,certainly it is what I mean. Rather than just  saying all big names who die are a miss by the committee. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Well Eileen Ash is 109 so nearly 30 years older than Boycott (although no history of cancer) & also a Test cricketer but is never on the list. So possibly the list compilers are not cricket fans.

I must confess I have never heard of that lady but then I am not a big cricket fan. I mainly know of Geoffrey Boycott  because of his non cricket antics!

8 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Well Eileen Ash is 109 so nearly 30 years older than Boycott (although no history of cancer) & also a Test cricketer but is never on the list. So possibly the list compilers are not cricket fans.

Eileen Ash played women's Test cricket back when the women's version of the sport was largely unobserved and amateur in all but name.

... And she's only known nowadays for her extreme age. The Committee doesn't pick low hanging fruit i.e. ppl of extreme age, known almost only for their extreme age. That isn't the purpose of DL and it would suck all the "fun" out of it. My understanding is the idea is to pick 50 names that are considered "household names" (at least in the UK)... with some notable exceptions ofc (Ruby Muhammad, Bill Gates Sr.) but let's not get wound up with that...

6 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think in the case of people saying  it about Jill Gascoigne, Little Richard and Sean Connery this year is because they were names previously on the list but removed  rather than names that had  never been on the list. I suspect that is what some posters mean ,certainly it is what I mean. Rather than just  saying all big names who die are a miss by the committee. 

Oh I know mate. But given that 25 names can't be repeated the following year and if you allow that people like Her Maj and Phil the Greek and a few others probably can't be left off now it doesn't leave much room for any flexibility. The committee just seem a bit of an easy target that are damned if they do and damned if they don't, whichever way they play it.

You could database the lot and say that since Sean was left off last year having been on in 2018, logic would dictate that he should have gone on again. But it's not really very entertaining if all the names are determined that way is it? Well, I don't think so anyway. 

Hey ho.

Nothing wrong with a bit of gentle teasing of the DL - we all get that "Doh!!!" moment and we are entitled to receive as well as give a little teasing for that.

We've all dropped folk who turn up their toes the next year. ;)

For example, not one of the 26 competitors in the Poker Tourney picked Connery. Which saved me a lot of time! :D

• Like 2

Honetsly, I'm a bit disappointed by the result of the list : if they had kept people like Little Richard, Sean Connery, Jill Gascoigne, we would already be at 17/50… I think that such a devastating years in terms of celebrities and centenarians should have a way higher score (even by that time of the year). Also, I think they're has been some misses by the committee like Ian Holm, John Lewis, Van Halen, John Hume, Kerslake… 

This is only my opinion and there's still one month and a half to go but… quite disappointed honestly, hope Stiles wasn't the last hit of the year. 

And I know that saying "they should have kept him or her" is useless but it doesn't mean that we can't say it right !?

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 21:40, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think in the case of people saying  it about Jill Gascoigne,

3 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

if they had kept people like Little Richard, Sean Connery, Jill Gascoigne

HER NAME WAS JILL GASCOINE :evil:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Grim Up North said:

HER NAME WAS JILL GASCOINE :evil:

I had her confused with Paul Gascoigne honestly, they look so similar… 

On 01/11/2020 at 21:56, En Passant said:

(snippage) ... given that 25 names can't be repeated the following year ...(more snippage)

That's one unwritten rule that should really be amended in this day and age - it's only there because we The Committee is too lazy and pished busy doing charitable deeds to pick a full new 50 each year. Maybe change it to 20 or 15 returnees first and see how that works out?

One has to move with the times I'm afraid, old bean. After all, we do let women into golf clubs and I believe they're even allowed universal suffrage in the civilised world nowadays. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

One has to move with the times I'm afraid, old bean.

Oh I wasn't defending it. Just stating it.

3 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

full new 50 each year.

Now you see, that to me would be an interesting way of doing it. You failed last year on these names, so you can't repeat any of them this year.

My beef, if you can even call it that really,  more an observation on shooting fish in a barrel somewhat pointlessly, is with folks continually saying X Y or Z was a big miss with 100% hindsight after the event....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Oh I wasn't defending it. Just stating it.

Now you see, that to me would be an interesting way of doing it. You failed last year on these names, so you can't repeat any of them this year.

My beef, if you can even call it that really,  more an observation on shooting fish in a barrel somewhat pointlessly, is with folks continually saying X Y or Z was a big miss with 100% hindsight after the event....

I don’t think it’s a good idea AT ALL to have 50 new names ! Maybe it would be better to Forget that « 25 news » rule and just add or drop people solely based on their likelyhood to die rather than on abstract rule...

• Like 1

The 'committee' lost all interest in this place many years ago.

At the end of the year they have a 20 minute toss about ( no, not that kind of toss ) and throw in a load of names that they got off of other websites and lob them onto the list.

They then fuck off back to their normal lives and leave it to us for another year, or summat.

I don't blame them and don't complain because there is still enough 'I can be arsed' in them to keep the place alive.

Pointless moaning about the sodding list, be grateful they can be bothered to put one up every year.

• Like 3

So far, the 2020 DeathList has achieved the second ever best result so I would say it has been rather good but it had potential to be better. Nicholas Parsons really should have been included instead of David Attenborough. Jill Gascoine and Sean Connery should have returned in places of John Edrich and Dick Cheney. Someone else instead of Shane MacGowan should have been carried over from last year’s list. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

So far, the 2021 DeathList has achieved the second ever best result so I would say it has been rather good but it had potential to be better. Nicholas Parsons really should have been included instead of David Attenborough. Jill Gascoine and Sean Connery should have returned in places of John Edrich and Dick Cheney. Someone else instead of Shane MacGowan should have been carried over from last year’s list. 

Just no getting through to some people, is there. :lol:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

So far, the 2021 DeathList has achieved the second ever best result so I would say it has been rather good but it had potential to be better. Nicholas Parsons really should have been included instead of David Attenborough. Jill Gascoine and Sean Connery should have returned in places of John Edrich and Dick Cheney. Someone else instead of Shane MacGowan should have been carried over from last year’s list. 

exactly what I said about the 2020 list : it's not bad, it's rather good, but it could have been at least great if not exceptional (there could have been 4-5 hits more)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

The 'committee' lost all interest in this place many years ago.

At the end of the year they have a 20 minute toss about ( no, not that kind of toss ) and throw in a load of names that they got off of other websites and lob them onto the list.

They then fuck off back to their normal lives and leave it to us for another year, or summat.

I don't blame them and don't complain because there is still enough 'I can be arsed' in them to keep the place alive.

Pointless moaning about the sodding list, be grateful they can be bothered to put one up every year.

We have the crowdsourced list for comparison. If Connery was on it or your shadow list you can see yeah he should have been on the list otherwise it is a miss all round and we move on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Daredevil said:

So far, the 2021 DeathList has achieved the second ever best result

Promising news for next year here....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

We have the crowdsourced list for comparison. If Connery was on it or your shadow list you can see yeah he should have been on the list otherwise it is a miss all round and we move on

The voters of the crowdsource world never nominated Connery sadly, and as such he's a miss both crowdsource and deathlist

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

The voters of the crowdsource world never nominated Connery sadly, and as such he's a miss both crowdsource and deathlist

And since the Crowdsourced is open to all comers and not just the elusive cabal of the committee then if enough of us had thought that the speculation around Connery's poor health had legs we could have nominated him.

Diana Rigg was so much a shock she was not anywhere near my 1500 name long list.

19 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

And since the Crowdsourced is open to all comers and not just the elusive cabal of the committee then if enough of us had thought that the speculation around Connery's poor health had legs we could have nominated him.

Diana Rigg was so much a shock she was not anywhere near my 1500 name long list.

And who else died that was not on your loooong list ? I’m curious...

13 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

And who else died that was not on your loooong list ? I’m curious...

A lot of people not on my fame radar

On 20/09/2020 at 14:39, Bibliogryphon said:

Just for @Deadpool and any one else who is interested

image.thumb.png.e361ca3c0615591d2bcedb3549703fc3.png

@Bibliogryphon can we have  an updated version of this graphic please?

On 31/12/2019 at 23:15, Joey Russ said:

So, the new list is coming out in about 45 minutes. What are your thoughts on the overall list?

I think it's been pretty good tbh with you...

:D

• Haha 2

You know I had a suspicion that the record would break after that extremely fruitful first 6 months. Despite some really bad picks, definitely have to give props to the committee. A combination of some ill debutants plus so many of the old timers gone did it. Now the question whether they would've broken the record without COVID (ie can they reach it without Sutcliffe)...