Joey Russ

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2020 List

Appropriate that we have a huge year for celeb deaths where the DL result matches it. Given 2016 was the "standard" 12 hits (of course bearing in mind 2016 had a bunch of Bowie-type deaths that were not anticipated).

28 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

You know I had a suspicion that the record would break after that extremely fruitful first 6 months. Despite some really bad picks, definitely have to give props to the committee. A combination of some ill debutants plus so many of the old timers gone did it. Now the question whether they would've broken the record without COVID (ie can they reach it without Sutcliffe)...

• Shocked 3

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Well let’s see if the list gets to 20 then...

• Like 1

Ah, so true to form, Covid not just made the List tie the record, but also break it.

• Like 1

I reckon we could get just one more in, though going through the list there's not many possibilities shouting out at me.

It would have to be one of the people in their mid to late 90s that we haven't heard from in a while e.g. Jacques Delors or Leslie Phillips.

That's IF COVID or a sudden heart attack don't blow my logic out of the water. I know we've had 2 COVID hits but a 3rd is statistically unlikely. Sutcliffe REFUSED any treatment and VGD was in a frail state from several hospitalisations earlier in the year.

So either one more, or we're done for the year. I'll be an optimist and say the former – we'll get a 19th, then we're done!

• Like 1

Cancer names Leon Spinks and Tom Smith are still alive too. Really amazing that one or both of them could see out the year...

• Like 2

Would be cool if we ended up getting 20 hits in 2020 but maybe it's too much to ask at this late stage..

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That's IF COVID or a sudden heart attack don't blow my logic out of the water.

The logic is damn sound so far as I can see.

Statistically, we have only 29/365 days left so that's just  8% of the time now remaining. Further where there were 50 possibilities on Jan 1 there are now only 32 or 64% of the original field.

The window is closing fast on fewer runners.

However, sudden heart attacks pay no mind to statistics of course.

NB, just waiting for some plank to turn up and tell me I can't do statistical analysis properly. Probably true, but I doubt they're any better :P

• Like 2

Congratulations to the Committee for creating a record-breaking DeathList! Well done! :party:

We all watch out for 2021!!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Would be cool if we ended up getting 20 hits in 2020 but maybe it's too much to ask at this late stage..

That would be really great!

2 hours ago, Book said:

Congratulations to the Committee for creating a record-breaking DeathList! Well done! :party:

We all watch out for 2021!!!

I thing  VDE is an excellent hit for the committee. Not on Drop 40 or on the Crowdsourced so they threw the dice and it came up high.

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I thing  VDE is an excellent hit for the committee. Not on Drop 40 or on the Crowdsourced so they threw the dice and it came up high.

Was also in decent health last year before he declined and then Covid gave the final shove.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Was also in decent health last year before he declined and then Covid gave the final shove.

As a matter of interest I wonder what the prevalance of covid is in Jimmy Carter's neighbourhood... :unsure:

The ones I would personally drop are: 

1. John Edrich

2. Shane MacGowan

3. Emperor Akihito

4. Pervez Musharraf 
5. Lester Piggott 

6. Dick Cheney

7. Imelda Marcos 

Unfortunately I think Akihito is a bedblocker at this point so that’s probably the spot they’ll cut off someone who shouldn’t be cut like Joanne Woodward...

• Like 4

This year has actually been better for deathlist than you think.I've calculated that of all the people who have ever been on the list inc this year at least 26 out of 109 have died this year.That's about a quarter. That's way higher then normal. 

8 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

This year has actually been better for deathlist than you think.I've calculated that of all the people who have ever been on the list inc this year at least 26 out of 109 have died this year.That's about a quarter. That's way higher then normal. 

Anyway that's not incredible ! I don't understand people who are crazy about having 18 out of 50 deaths this year : those 50 people are celebrities that are on the edge (some of whom are on the edge for years now) so 18 deaths out of these 50 is great, but when I first came on this site, I was quite surprised and disappointed to see that the score didn't ever pass 25/50 

• Like 2

On 03/12/2020 at 16:32, Joey Russ said:

The ones I would personally drop are: 

1. John Edrich

2. Shane MacGowan

3. Emperor Akihito

4. Pervez Musharraf 
5. Lester Piggott 

6. Dick Cheney

7. Imelda Marcos 

Unfortunately I think Akihito is a bedblocker at this point so that’s probably the spot they’ll cut off someone who shouldn’t be cut like Joanne Woodward...

I reckon at least one of them will croak next year 

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 05:18, CoffinLodger said:

Make that 27 with Peter Allis death

• Shocked 1

Amazing list this year though we made a lot of missed opportunities with Chuck Yeager and Kenny Rogers while mistakingly dropping Little Richard and ditching a huge position for Connery. Though regardless we still broke the record and it has been a strong year with a possible 19th death approaching soon . Great work from the community.

46 minutes ago, sheldondinkleberg said:

Great work from the community

Actually, great work from the grim reaper! 

7 hours ago, sheldondinkleberg said:

Amazing list this year though they made a lot of missed opportunities with Chuck Yeager and Kenny Rogers while mistakenly dropping Little Richard and ditching a huge position for Connery. Though regardless they still broke the record and it has been a strong year with a possible 19th death approaching soon . Great work from the committee.

FTFY.

On 31/10/2020 at 07:50, Joey Russ said:

Who on the committee really thought it was a good idea to put John fucking Edrich over Sean Connery? I really don’t know what the fuck they’re thinking sometimes...

So yeah, maybe don’t listen to me all of the time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Congratulations to the Committee for hit No. 19! Very well played!

Your balls must be really swollen by now! :lol:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

So yeah, maybe don’t listen to me all of the time...

An honest man owns up to his mistakes. Fair play sir. Happy Christmas and to a 19th hit