Paul Bearer

The Dead of 2020

Georges Duboeuf, one of the great wine merchants of the 20th Century, has died at the age of 86.

He was best known for turning the release a little-known French product - an ordinary red wine called Beaujolais Nouveau - into a global phenomenon.

BBC link

2 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

Georges Duboeuf, one of the great wine merchants of the 20th Century, has died at the age of 86.

He was best known for turning the release a little-known French product - an ordinary red wine called Beaujolais Nouveau - into a global phenomenon.

BBC link

Always hated Beaujolais Nouveau, especially when I worked in restaurants. Always had try to sell that crap to anyone wanting red wine. 

• Like 1

What a conman.

Dreadful stuff, Beaujolais Nouveau.  I had to taste it once just to confirm my expectation that it would be awful, but never fell for the hype.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

What a conman.

Dreadful stuff, Beaujolais Nouveau.  I had to taste it once just to confirm my expectation that it would be awful, but never fell for the hype.

For what it is, it's cooking wine. Failing that, you can always put it on your chips. I bought a bottle for the wife to try as she got tired of me complaining about it as a few years ago they stated promoting it here in the U.S. about 30 years ago, they had a table set up at Waterloo station for people to taste a sample while they were on their way to work. Easiest job I had working the table, but in all honesty, I just couldn't recommend the wine to anyone. If they wanted to buy it, it's only their money they were wasting. 

• Like 1

Former member of the House of Representatives Mike Fitzpatrick, who brother now holds the same seat and is viewed as a “moderate”, has died at 56

Has any TV show ever gone from being absolutely fucking everywhere to forgotten overnight as much as Ugly Betty

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Has any TV show ever gone from being absolutely fucking everywhere to forgotten overnight as much as Ugly Betty

I still see the DVD boxsets in the shops.

But other than that, that's it.

3 hours ago, Phantom said:

I still see the DVD boxsets in the shops.

But other than that, that's it.

Charity Shops!

32 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Charity Shops!

Sometimes regular shops but only at Christmas time

20 hours ago, Deathtreat23 said:

Ugly Betty Creator Silvio Horta found dead in an apparent suicide.

Gawd damn that’s horrible.

but never watched the show 

10 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Not quite but...

If you think about how much some channels still run the old comedies it's odd how far Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em has sunk - obviously, the more people have begun to understand the autistic spectrum the worse that show looks.

Oh aye and...Love thy Neighbour isn't repeated much, is it?

Irish musician pat Collins has died. 

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1105026/

Only a week into 2020 and already three notable Irish celebrities have died. 

18 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Some Mothers is still funny!

Yeah, and judging by the popularity ratings on sickipedia so are racist and sexist jokes - and I'm not having a go here because political correctness in it's worst manifestations boils my piss.

Point is, Frank Spencer is autistic as fuck which is why he's believable* and if you put that script in today you'd be lucky to get a thanks/it's not for us/ good luck elsewhere response.

* So, for example, there's cracking gag in one script about an accident in a hotel room shared by him and his mum the punchline to which is something like "We were up all night flushing that mattress down the toilet" Comedy genius, frankly, but only funny because someone that far down the autism spectrum would avoid human contact and find a logical but improbable solution to the problem. Rant over!

I never liked Some Mothers, it was so contrived and Frank got on my nerves with his silly voice.

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Grease star Edd Byrnes dies aged 87.

Aww, Vince Fontaine! RIP. :(

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Tom Alexander of The Alexander Brothers reportedly dead:

Jack died in 2013.

Brings back memories of many a hogmanay spent in Scotland ! Their tv appearances were compulsory every year as I recall  ! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Jack died in 2013.

Aw man - sad. But...we're already stockpiling tracks for next year's list of the lost radio show (which will mark the musicians we lost in 2020) and the opening brace will be Hawkwind's "Sonic Attack" (they lost an ex-drummer a few days back) followed by the Alexander Brothers "Miles to Dundee" - seriously, anyone listening after that start must really love us!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Jack died in 2013.

17 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Brings back memories of many a hogmanay spent in Scotland ! Their tv appearances were compulsory every year as I recall  ! 

7 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aw man - sad. But...we're already stockpiling tracks for next year's list of the lost radio show (which will mark the musicians we lost in 2020) and the opening brace will be Hawkwind's "Sonic Attack" (they lost an ex-drummer a few days back) followed by the Alexander Brothers "Miles to Dundee" - seriously, anyone listening after that start must really love us!

Embarrassing moment. I'm sure I have one of their LP's. .