Deathray

Hows Your 2021 Shortlist Looking?

Seen as @gcreptile already appears to be working on next years....

I've currently got 499...... obviously that has nothing to do with the number of picks for this years Hares Death Pool.....;)

It's as good as this year's for me.

Haven’t started yet. Just haven’t felt like researching all year...

• Like 1

As posted earlier, here me binned research from past 2-3 years.  Starting afresh.

377CE2DF-5539-4E70-B523-427B757B8C26.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

As posted earlier, here me binned research from past 2-3 years.  Starting afresh.

It might be worth going digital.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

There's this thing called excel mate.... introduced in the 90s.... worth a look

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

There's this thing called excel mate.... introduced in the 90s.... worth a look

Next you’ll tell me there’s a device....no.. No not a device but a cyber place where this excel spreadsheet can be stored and accessed from.... from, well... ANYWHERE!   

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Next you’ll tell me there’s a device....no.. No not a device but a cyber place where this excel spreadsheet can be stored and accessed from.... from, well... ANYWHERE!   

Yes, and this wonderful website that lets you share a live version of that spreadsheet from a burner email account on these sites where people talk to eachother or even bet on dying celebrities.... 

so those people can tell you in real time you've not awarded points for their picks rather than wait until there points aren't included in the update.....

Come to think of it that was a fucking stupid way to do the masterlist.....

Did a provisional 20 for the first time this year, and it definitely feels a bit off for me. Currently has a lot of my 2020 DDP survivors on it (thinking many of them are a year too early at this point), and it also includes a few names that I would be stunned if they make the 2021 starting line. Also have no idea what I’m going to do with my joker this time around...

On 05/10/2020 at 14:46, Paul Bearer said:

I'll do mine on the 31st December this year. 

Exactly.  Ok December 30th.

On 05/10/2020 at 13:08, Joey Russ said:

Did a provisional 20 for the first time this year, and it definitely feels a bit off for me. Currently has a lot of my 2020 DDP survivors on it (thinking many of them are a year too early at this point), and it also includes a few names that I would be stunned if they make the 2021 starting line. Also have no idea what I’m going to do with my joker this time around...

And Tracy Smothers the first name on that list to die. Surprised it took nearly a month for one of the provisional 20 to die though, which suggests it might not be that good of a team...

You know, as we end the year in a global lockdown, I could imagine a record participation in the DDP next year. And I think there will be lots of teams spending a lot of time on research in December. For example, I don't even know if I will be able or allowed to visit my family this Christmas. I'm looking at a year-end holiday of two weeks with nothing else to do but googling stuff (well, and a little gaming and maybe eventually getting around to watch Better Call Saul).

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

I could imagine a record participation in the DDP next year.

Great :smoking-smiley:

• Haha 4

Gotta love it when a potential pick got an update on their illness but only has that update behind paywall...

I just don’t feel like researching this year - there are so many well known names under 75  to take half my team and the other half I might do some basic google searches but nothing else, I don’t expect any unique picks but I am not interested in winning the DDP. 

• Like 1

Have that classic issue now where I found a name for the Advent Avalanche that would be a QO and would probably also be a unique, but I don't want to play him there in case they make it to January first. Just to prove I'm not bluffing, they have exactly the same name as a (more famous) sportsman.

Shortlist at 133, obviously going to have to be much shorter during the next month but it’s a start...

On 28/11/2020 at 20:35, The Old Crem said:

I just don’t feel like researching this year - there are so many well known names under 75  to take half my team and the other half I might do some basic google searches but nothing else, I don’t expect any unique picks but I am not interested in winning the DDP. 

Pretty much where I'm at now; one DDP win was enough for me so I have not done deadpooler searches for months now. So mine will end up very conventional. Maybe I'll throw in some interesting old people for a bit of flavor.

I kind of don't want to add any last minute names anymore. And of course, I will submit my team before the end of the year again. Possibly 27th or 28th this time.

So yeah, my last names either have to be some killer names on Christmas... or some deep research before christmas, because I probably won't be able to do deep research during Christmas.

Anyway....I think I've got about a week or two left and while I think it's looking quite decent...there is something missing.

For one, I am currently planning on fielding 3 non-theme teams again. But I run out of good names at about 40-45. And now that I look at it, all those C-team survivors of mine, ...really?

Similarly, Death By Numbers and Alt Obits...a couple of good names are missing. I would have just slapped Nobby Stiles on them, but he's dead now. And his logical replacement Jimmy Greaves is already on all those teams.

So all in all, not quite happy. 

Got a provisional 20 together. Six names not mentioned on this forum all, which makes me think my QO radar could be slightly off. So many great names missing out that I feel I should enter a B-team, but I always feel that's kinda against the spirit of the game when you already have a top-ranked A-team.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Got a provisional 20 together. Six names not mentioned on this forum all, which makes me think my QO radar could be slightly off. So many great names missing out that I feel I should enter a B-team, but I always feel that's kinda against the spirit of the game when you already have a top-ranked A-team.

tbf if we expanded the QO radar any further Reptile would pining for the New York Times again! :D

There's equally about 6 names not mentioned yet on my shortlist too (another Fatima Ali/Rayya Elias moment coming when everyone hid the same name like a French farce?) but at the rate of reveal, that'll be 0 by Jan 1st! Mind you, with the focus on co-running the DDP my actual deadpool team "research" is nearly non-existent...

Just looked at the rules again because I thought extra teams had to be proper theme teams, but I see people are allowed to have up to 3 teams of any combination. 

I wouldn't have a B or C team personally as inevitably a few would oblige from each which would be frustrating.  

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

Just looked at the rules again because I thought extra teams had to be proper theme teams, but I see people are allowed to have up to 3 teams of any combination. 

I wouldn't have a B or C team personally as inevitably a few would oblige from each which would be frustrating.  

I don't mind B-teams as on the whole it's usually people who want to segregate away their "fascinating lives" picks and, since those wouldn't get picked otherwise often, they tend to be the most interesting to write about!

The ones I don't get are those that are almost copies of their original team. Clearly an attempt to game the Drop 40 but 1) its presumably quite dull  2) it has never successfully "gamed" the Drop 40 so is a waste of time*!

Pan Breed was split into 3 parts this year but will probaby return to main team, not the LOTM typed team and proper theme team again in January. There's a theme team I've been holding on to for years, and 2020 has killed the proposed joker so I ought to get on with it! :D

*Eyes are kept on this, obviously.

• Like 1