Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

Today was 'so let's see who everyone else picked' day.  Observations:

Keith “Sooty Man” Ainsworth - Fear Beag
What was this person's non-illness-related fame?

Larry Eckhardt - alt obits guy, Spade 
I know Banana brought it up, but now that I am looking at the list..... I gotta agree.  Being an eccentric isn't celebrity or even notoriety.  I'm going to FLAG his being allowed.

Terrence (sic) Matthews (et.al) - Grim 
Not everyone who kills someone is 'famous' for doing so.  Shouldn't the murder at least be famous (See: Jesse Matthew, Jr)?  Otherwise Detroit has about 600 celebrities per annum.  All this punk ass did was shoot someone during a robbery.  Jesus....make that 1000 Detroit celebrities per annum.  C'mon Joey.  

Mark McKneown - Fear Beag :evil:
This one is pure nonsense.  (Edited my language)"The 32-year-old moved to Pattaya, in Thailand, 12-years-ago to teach children how to play football in underprivileged schools."  That's his job.  A football coach to kids.  How is that fame/celeb/notoriety?   C'mon Joey.  Can we all agree this was a screw up and you won't be allowing this name in future months should this major celeb survive?

SirC

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I know Banana brought it up, but now that I am looking at the list..... I gotta agree.  Being an eccentric isn't celebrity or even notoriety.  I'm going to FLAG his being allowed.

Not everyone who kills someone is 'famous' for doing so.  Shouldn't the murder at least be famous (See: Jesse Matthew, Jr)?  Otherwise Detroit has about 600 celebrities per annum.  All this punk ass did was shoot someone during a robbery.  Jesus....make that 1000 Detroit celebrities per annum.  C'mon Joey.  

This one is pure nonsense.  (Edited my language)"The 32-year-old moved to Pattaya, in Thailand, 12-years-ago to teach children how to play football in underprivileged schools."  That's his job.  A football coach to kids.  How is that fame/celeb/notoriety?   C'mon Joey.  Can we all agree this was a screw up and you won't be allowing this name in future months should this major celeb survive?

SirC

They fundraised half a million dollars

Wrong Terrence Matthews https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/sea-cadets-paedophile-expected-to-die-within-weeks-219073/

As for Eckhardt you already know my thoughts. And as for McKneown, yea I think that's a bad call. Just because a Thai newspaper puts "popular" before describing them as a youth football coach doesn't mean they've done anything special. I think the whole, "check with me beforehand then" claim doesn't really work with this one. Eckhardt is like bare minimum so I'd let it pass, but this one is a yikes for me.

Just now, Banana said:

They fundraised half a million dollars

YOU DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION.  I COULD GIVE A SHIT ABOUT FUNDRAISERS TBH, ESPCIALLY BY SELF-SERVING FUNDRAISERS.  IF AND ONLY IF IT WAS PRIOR TO THE ILLNESS DOES IT MATTER.

Wrong Terrence Matthews https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/sea-cadets-paedophile-expected-to-die-within-weeks-219073/

GOTCHA!  THANKS.  

As for Eckhardt you already know my thoughts.

YESSIR.

And as for McKneown, yea I think that's a bad call. Just because a Thai newspaper puts "popular" before describing them as a youth football coach doesn't mean they've done anything special. I think the whole, "check with me beforehand then" claim doesn't really work with this one. Eckhardt is like bare minimum so I'd let it pass, but this one is a yikes for me.

I THINK JOEY BIT ON THE WORD 'COACH" WITHOUT ANYTHING MORE.

From what I can tell, Terrence Matthews was notorious for his crimes given the forum reaction so he’s staying in. Same with Larry Eckhardt. The fact that was able to have an impressive 500,000 flags planted for a good cause was good enough for me. It’s a low bar, yes, but he’s passed it. I was a little hesitant on Sooty Man, but I did find out that he got a local BBC award for his 35 years of philanthropy, so he just passed it. I may reconsider him in future rounds depending on the reactions from the forum though. I think at a glance I thought Mark McKneown looked more famous than he actually was, so that’s a bit of a whoopsie on my end. These last two days do have a lot of submissions does mean that the host could make an error on occasion. So on that note, I can confirm that Mark McKneown will not be an acceptable choice in the future. In fact, if the competitors agree with me on this, I think I’ll sub him out for March since it was a host error on my end. So Golam Gastagir Gazi will his place on Fear Beag’s team if the cup crowd oks subbing that pick in.
In the future, if you have potential qualms about picks please speak up on the first few days so we don’t have to deal with pick issues this late again, ok? 

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

From what I can tell, Terrence Matthews was notorious for his crimes given the forum reaction so he’s staying in. Same with Larry Eckhardt. The fact that was able to have an impressive 500,000 flags planted for a good cause was good enough for me. It’s a low bar, yes, but he’s passed it. I was a little hesitant on Sooty Man, but I did find out that he got a local BBC award for his 35 years of philanthropy, so he just passed it. I may reconsider him in future rounds depending on the reactions from the forum though. I think at a glance I thought Mark McKneown looked more famous than he actually was, so that’s a bit of a whoopsie on my end. These last two days do have a lot of submissions does mean that the host could make an error on occasion. So on that note, I can confirm that Mark McKneown will not be an acceptable choice in the future. In fact, if the competitors agree with me on this, I think I’ll sub him out for March since it was a host error on my end. So Golam Gastagir Gazi will his place on Fear Beag’s team if the cup crowd oks subbing that pick in.
In the future, if you have potential qualms about picks please speak up on the first few days so we don’t have to deal with pick issues this late again, ok? 

Tbh I don't really have a problem with any of the picks staying in as it's already been over a week and they were initially allowed by the host (you). I think it would be just as unfair to the people who at least attempted to put some names forward and have them accepted only to have them disqualified a week into the game. In my opinion, I think they should just be disqualified for future months.

7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

YOU DIDN'T ANSWER MY QUESTION.  I COULD GIVE A SHIT ABOUT FUNDRAISERS TBH, ESPCIALLY BY SELF-SERVING FUNDRAISERS.  IF AND ONLY IF IT WAS PRIOR TO THE ILLNESS DOES IT MATTER.

Fundraisers of significant totals were allowed last year as well, Creep

24 minutes ago, Banana said:

As for Spade, Heide is a good pick, but they could very well make it to next month same as O'Donnell as I'm hoping for. 

I love this pick, never came across him in my quick research.  But he seems like one of those Marsh Pratley types who has a few weeks to live, but smokes and drinks his way into a half year.  

So cricketer John Manners turns out to be a bit of a cunning unique in this round, as because of it grobler takes a 4 point lead against John Key. It also means every tie now has points!

1. Skinny Kiltrunner vs JiroemonKimura 6 - 6

2. Grobler vs John Key 4 - 0

3. Engineer vs Grim 0 - 6

4. YoungWillz vs Wormfarmer 0 - 3

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 6

6. Torva vs Reptile 9 - 6

7. Banana vs Spade_Cooley 12 - 6

8. Quim Reaper vs Deathray 3 - 0 

9. Maryport vs Deadsox 0 - 3 

10. Oldlady vs DeathByArsenic 3 - 6 

11. An Fear Bag vs Alt Obits Guy 6 - 3

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 6

13. Sir Creep vs Joey Russ 12 - 3

14. Chorizo vs HDS 6 - 6

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 6 - 0 

16. Clorox vs FixedBusiness 12 - 3

• Like 2

And that opens up a 7 point lead on AO Guy. Is An Fear Beag slowly shaping up to be the rookie of the year? We’ll have to see but for now, he’s looking pretty strong... 

1. Skinny Kiltrunner vs JiroemonKimura 6 - 6

2. Grobler vs John Key 4 - 0

3. Engineer vs Grim 0 - 6

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 6

6. Torva vs Reptile 9 - 6

8. Quim Reaper vs Deathray 3 - 0 

9. Maryport vs Deadsox 0 - 3 

10. Oldlady vs DeathByArsenic 3 - 6 

11. An Fear Bag vs Alt Obits Guy 10 - 3

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 6

13. Sir Creep vs Joey Russ 12 - 3

14. Chorizo vs HDS 6 - 6

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 6 - 0 

16. Clorox vs FixedBusiness 12 - 3

On 08/03/2020 at 22:22, Sir Creep said:

SirC

Wow you allow a murderer Joey Russ but not a whistleblower and journalist about the coronavirus from china ? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51486106

Just now, the_engineer said:

Wow you allow a murderer Joey Russ but not a whistleblower and journalist about the coronavirus from china ? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51486106

The reason I didn’t allow that entry was because he went missing. Had there been evidence that he was found I would’ve let him through. Sorry, but those are the rules...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The reason I didn’t allow that entry was because he went missing. Had there been evidence that he was found I would’ve let him through. Sorry, but those are the rules...

Fair enough.

Well he's probably a lampshade now in some CCP officers home.

• Haha 1

The P-Orridge has become cold and as such they have left behind 15 Jazz Funk Greats to the 15 people who picked them here. So who scores this time? Well for one, I score with P-Orridge and my opponent didn’t pick them for this round. So I have a .001% of making a comeback now rather than a .0001% chance, hehe.

Elsewhere, Jiroemon once again takes the lead in his tie against Skinny, in what’s turning into an exciting tie with back and forth between the two.

John Key also scores, although grobler still has the edge at this point due to the unique.

msc has now a 9 point lead against Biblio, and it looking like Biblio is heading to another match with the score of 0 sadly.

Then in a surprise move, Torva is leading Reptile, who in general is a very formidable cup opponent, yet this time is lagging behind.

Quim went “bollocks, I’m going to lose in this match.” Except he now has a 6 point advantage against Deathray because of P-Orridge. Oldlady also had  P-Orridge, but in a bit of a twist, she now leads DeathByArsenic due to hits.

Book scores with them, and now is leading due to having the younger average age of hits. Question is, will DDT have some tricks up his sleeve to take out Book? Or is Book the one with the tricks with him? Lots of unanswered questions for that tie.

HDS is another one to take the lead in their tie, which shows they’re another name with potential to become rookie of the year.
Two ties have both teams have them, and as such Engineer vs Grim and Maryport vs Deadsox scores just have three added to them.

So who’s left? Ah yes, Death Impends and Clorox, who now leads their opponents with a whopping 9 and 12 points respectively. Certainly could turn into major squonkings, but with still half of March to go, a lot can change from today...

1. Skinny Kiltrunner vs JiroemonKimura 6 - 9

2. Grobler vs John Key 4 - 3

3. Engineer vs Grim 3 - 9

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 9

6. Torva vs Reptile 12 - 6

8. Quim Reaper vs Deathray 6 - 0 

9. Maryport vs Deadsox 3 - 6

10. Oldlady vs DeathByArsenic 6 - 6 

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 9

13. Sir Creep vs Joey Russ 12 - 6

14. Chorizo vs HDS 6 - 9

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 9 - 0 

16. Clorox vs FixedBusiness 15 - 3

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Thanks Joey, but Genesis was merely my first sub, so I'm still at measly three points.

Just now, gcreptile said:

Thanks Joey, but Genesis was merely my first sub, so I'm still at measly three points.

You’re at 6. Rip Oliver and Laura Smith. So the math is right

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

You’re at 6. Rip Oliver and Laura Smith. So the math is right

Ah okay, my bolded name in the update threw me off.

This is about as close to a sporting event as is happening around the world right now - can't be long before we start getting interest from Sky and BT Sport.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, two interesting updates for some matches. First, Jiroemon has been able to extend his lead in his tie because of Patil Puttappa. A unique which lends him a 7 point advantage against Skinny. Jiroemon is really showing why he could be one of the favorites in the cup after a 2 year hiatus. Secondly, there’s Suzy Delair, who is a unique for DeathByArsenic! Now he’s leading by 4 points against theoldlady, and boy are the matches becoming more and more interesting for the second half of the month...

1. Skinny Kiltrunner vs JiroemonKimura 6 - 13

2. Grobler vs John Key 4 - 3

3. Engineer vs Grim 3 - 9

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 9

6. Torva vs Reptile 12 - 6

8. Quim Reaper vs Deathray 6 - 0 

9. Maryport vs Deadsox 3 - 6

10. Oldlady vs DeathByArsenic 6 - 10 

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 9

13. Sir Creep vs Joey Russ 12 - 6

14. Chorizo vs HDS 6 - 9

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 9 - 0 

16. Clorox vs FixedBusiness 15 - 3

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

This is about as close to a sporting event as is happening around the world right now - can't be long before we start getting interest from Sky and BT Sport.

Yeah, saw Downforce Radio (cover live motorsports) on FB bigging up an esports virtual race.

16 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Which of us Deathlist 'experts' would they employ as pundits?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Which of us Deathlist 'experts' would they employ as pundits?

I'm available as long as the pay is good and I can do it remotely.

• Like 1

Ah, a decent lead with just under half the month left to go. Biblio's team could easily drop en masse to coronavirus at any second though so this one ain't over...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Ah, a decent lead with just under half the month left to go. Biblio's team could easily drop en masse to coronavirus at any second though so this one ain't over...

Banking on a triple of James Watson, Vera Lynn and Beverly Cleary on 30th March

22 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Banking on a triple of James Watson, Vera Lynn and Beverly Cleary on 30th March

I'd settle for Tom Smith atm!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I'd settle for Tom Smith atm!

How 'bout Neddy?