Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

It’s a couple of days later than it should’ve been (my bad), but I’ve sent in a team to Wilz since if I survive I’m likely against msc, and as such cup entries can now be sent in to me.

I did offer to look after the team again as it would have been of great help to me putting a team together, but Joey was too wise on the uptake...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

It’s a couple of days later than it should’ve been (my bad), but I’ve sent in a team to Wilz since if I survive I’m likely against msc, and as such cup entries can now be sent in to me.

Writing me off then...?

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Writing me off then...?

I never said that. I’m just noting since last time I sent it to msc that I can’t send it in to him. Maybe my phrasing was off...

• Haha 1

Just now, Joey Russ said:

I never said that. I’m just noting since last time I sent it to msc that I can’t send it in to him. Maybe my phrasing was off...

Considering my reputation in this game you could have written me off as soon as msc scored.

I've not yet written myself off.

I give it 24 hours, then I'll probably do that, ha!

Anyway, you never know in the climate.....

• Like 1

The death of the socialite does seem to be the last nail on the coffin for three matchups. So who picked her? Well, msc has opened up a 12 point lead against Bibliogryphon, and unfortunately it’s looking like Biblio will score 0 again. If only Freeman Dyson lived another 2 days. There’s also An Fear Beag taking a massive 10 point lead over AO Guy. He’s showing a really strong performance as a rookie, and might end up being rookie of the year like Heef, Sir Creep, and Banana* did the past three years. Speaking of Banana, he’s the third person to pick Serena Liu, taking a surprisingly lopsided 9 point lead against lead. Really, this is turning into the round of upsets as it’s not just those rounds with surprising results...

*Yeah, Boudicca technically went farther than Banana, but let’s be honest. Banana had a much stronger performance throughout the entire cup whereas Boudicca only won two of her rounds via a fluke...

1. Skinny Kiltrunner vs JiroemonKimura 6 - 13

2. Grobler vs John Key 4 - 3

3. Engineer vs Grim 3 - 9

4. YoungWillz vs Wormfarmer 0 - 3

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 12

6. Torva vs Reptile 12 - 6

7. Banana vs Spade_Cooley 15 - 6

8. Quim Reaper vs Deathray 6 - 0 

9. Maryport vs Deadsox 3 - 6

10. Oldlady vs DeathByArsenic 6 - 10 

11. An Fear Bag vs Alt Obits Guy 13 - 3

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 9

13. Sir Creep vs Joey Russ 12 - 6

14. Chorizo vs HDS 6 - 9

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 9 - 0 

16. Clorox vs FixedBusiness 15 - 3

• Sad 1

So footballer Ignacio Trelles has died, continuing the vast centenarian apocalypse we have. He also a cup unique for Chorizo, who has now taken a 1 point lead against HDS. They can still comeback from this if “Killer” Brooks dies this month, but in the meantime, Chorizo leads, and the clock is slowly ticking too...

2. Grobler vs John Key 4 - 3

3. Engineer vs Grim 3 - 9

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 12

7. Banana vs Spade_Cooley 15 - 6

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 9

14. Chorizo vs HDS 10 - 9

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 9 - 0 

Well, as one of the few off forum names on my cup team, I had planned on picking Atlanta drag queen Sharon Needles. That said, she won’t be making the starting line, and my first sub comes through. 

• Like 1

With the optimism not matched since Esther McVey entered the Conservative Party leadership race I will today submit my team for the next round

29 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

With the optimism not matched since Esther McVey entered the Conservative Party leadership race I will today submit my team for the next round

Aye, I'd better start scrambling some of the usual suspects just in case I squeeze a late winner past the dogged Deadsox defence

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry, Biblio. I was aiming to avoid a RoverandOut incident, not to intentionally sqounk one of the nicer forum members.

Guess I should start thinking about a showdown next round with Sir Creep.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, msc said:

Sorry, Biblio. I was aiming to avoid a RoverandOut incident, not to intentionally sqounk one of the nicer forum members.

Guess I should start thinking about a showdown next round with Sir Creep.

My choices are my choices and for some reason they do not do well here. I had Freeman Dyson on my original team but he failed to make the starting line very narrowly but at least that would have been points on the board.

I do not think my team is unreasonable it has several centenarians on it but I was impressed by your clearly better researched picks

Good luck in the next round

I will come back next year.....equally lame

7 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

My choices are my choices and for some reason they do not do well here. I had Freeman Dyson on my original team but he failed to make the starting line very narrowly but at least that would have been points on the board.

I do not think my team is unreasonable it has several centenarians on it but I was impressed by your clearly better researched picks

Good luck in the next round

I will come back next year.....equally lame

I don't think you ever pick "Bad" teams per say, just a variety of folk who could easily die but seem to survive that particular month. I feel one year this will average out and you'll get 5 or 6 in the one month, I'm just glad it wasn't against me!

• Haha 1

Yes, yes, we've a few days left but my chances look good. I'm absolutely staggered. As such, I've thrown together a R3 team and sent it early doors in the sheer excitement of it all.

If Deathers doesn't play a last-minute blinder, I'll put it out there right now that there's still more chance of Oscar Pistorius getting athlete's foot than me beating Cap'n Cho (or HDS, still could be HDS).

Darn, that means my second sub comes in, and as such my cup team looks more and more bad for April, hehe. Not like I’ll make it anyways...

But back to John O’Donnell for March. He was picked by three teams. Msc and Death Impends are really showing squonkings against those two, leading by 15 and 12 points respectively. Meanwhile, Spade has a bit of a consolation prize and reduces the gap against Banana to a bit of a more respectable score...

2. Grobler vs John Key 4 - 3

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 15

7. Banana vs Spade_Cooley 15 - 9

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 9

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 12 - 0 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Darn, that means my second sub comes in, and as such my cup team looks more and more bad for April, hehe. Not like I’ll make it anyways...

But back to John O’Donnell for March. He was picked by three teams. Msc and Death Impends are really showing squonkings against those two, leading by 15 and 12 points respectively. Meanwhile, Spade has a bit of a consolation prize and reduces the gap against Banana to a bit of a more respectable score...

2. Grobler vs John Key 4 - 3

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 15

7. Banana vs Spade_Cooley 15 - 9

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 9

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 12 - 0 

Aw man, you keep reminding me! 

Anyone looked in on Tom Smith lately?

As it stands:

1. Clorox or FixedBusiness vs Maryport or Deadsox
2. Sir Creep or Joey Russ vs Bibliogryphon or msc
3. DDT or Book vs Skinny Kiltrunner or JiroemonKimura 
4. Chorizo or HDS vs Quim Reaper or Deathray
5. Engineer or Grim vs Grobler or John Key
6. Oldlady or DeathByArsenic vs Torva or Reptile
7. An Fear Bag or Alt Obits Guy vs YoungWillz or Wormfarmer 
8. Banana or Spade_Cooley vs Death Impends or Ethushishispushingupdaisies

As we go into the later rounds, there will be less people submitting earlier in the month, because the more competitive players want to wait for those last minutes names. 

This next round could be an absolute bloodbath. Definitely some high scoring matches on the cards. I guess the tactic is to wait until the last minute, and pack the team with oldies who are in hospital with Coronavirus. 

We are in weird times, and as such some competitors might not show up for whatever reason. Hopefully everyone is fine, but in the off chance they aren’t, we do have some highest ranking losers just in case. So as it stands, the three highest ranking losers for March are:

1. Spade

2. HDS

3. DDT

All of them have 9 points. Spade is first because he has three hits rather than two, whereas HDS average age of hits is less than DDT’s overall. So as it stands, those three might want to prepare a team just in case...

It's really sad that this lovely contest will become a 'who can guess the right eleven C19 victims' contest.  I mean it is what it is, but sad nonetheless.