Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

blimey....I am struggling to keep up with all the action......

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na... Flag Man! 

Hehe. So Larry Eckhardt has died, and offers up points for two people. AO Guy gets his second hit for March, and is a bit of a consolation prize. Meanwhile, Spade also picked him and is now only 3 points behind Banana, but it might be too little too late for him to make a comeback. 

I also see Deane Sutherland is dead, but that is not an acceptable obit that Grim has posted, and he only has about 9 hours for something to show up. Otherwise, no points for those who picked him. 

1. Skinny Kiltrunner vs JiroemonKimura 6 - 13

2. Grobler vs John Key 8 - 3

3. Engineer vs Grim 3 - 9

4. YoungWillz vs Wormfarmer 6 - 3

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 15

6. Torva vs Reptile 12 - 6

7. Banana vs Spade_Cooley 15 - 12

8. Quim Reaper vs Deathray 6 - 0 

9. Maryport vs Deadsox 3 - 6

10. Oldlady vs DeathByArsenic 6 - 10 

11. An Fear Bag vs Alt Obits Guy 13 - 6

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 9

13. Sir Creep vs Joey Russ 12 - 6

14. Chorizo vs HDS 10 - 9

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 12 - 0 

16. Clorox vs FixedBusiness 15 - 6 

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Gawd, this is tense.

I can't remember a Cup round where five of the ties could change on one death this late in the month.

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 01:40, Joey Russ said:

The referee (Joey Russ) may make a judgement call based on what he is provided with, and that call will be final.

Joey just out of curiosity I presume a YouTube tribute would not qualify for Deane Sutherland?

5 minutes ago, msc said:

I can't remember a Cup round where five of the ties could change on one death this late in the month.

6 if you include my tie with Engineer? If Steve Blackmore (unique joker) dies then I lose.

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

Joey just out of curiosity I presume a YouTube tribute would not qualify for Deane Sutherland?

Nope. Though you don’t really need him anyways if he doesn’t obit since you’re moving on to round 3

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Nope. Though you don’t really need him anyways if he doesn’t obit since you’re moving on to round 3

Unless Steve Blackmore dies.

In fairness it's not as close as it looks between me and Banana, thanks to his Serena Liu pick my final death has to be under  71 to win on youngest average age of hit. Which rules out the teetering Lee Teng-Hui. Mohamed Hussein Tantawi is 84, Zubeen Garg is out of any danger, we both share Michael Ziegler and Tim Brooks as a pick... Which leaves me with only Willie K (59 give or take a year) or Ruth Heide (who I think must be early 60s?) as a possible out in the next... 9 hours.

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

In fairness it's not as close as it looks between me and Banana, thanks to his Serena Liu pick my final death has to be under  71 to win on youngest average age of hit. Which rules out the teetering Lee Teng-Hui. Mohamed Hussein Tantawi is 84, Zubeen Garg is out of any danger, we both share Michael Ziegler and Tim Brooks as a pick... Which leaves me with only Willie K (59 give or take a year) or Ruth Heide (who I think must be early 60s?) as a possible out in the next... 9 hours.

Tantawi would give you the lead if he dies thanks to the uniqueness on him, so he’s still possible

• Like 1

Deane Sutherland would put me at 9pts... I have zero names prepared by the way.

Still am waiting on 13 expected teams at this point...

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Still am waiting on 13 expected teams at this point...

:D

What do you expect? The media are making impending death announcements about fairly famous people on an hourly basis. You could probably select a whole team from people who are announced with corona between now and midnight.

EDIT: Having said all that my team is now in.

• Haha 1

That really stresses me out! :shock2:

Submitted a team... after all.

My team is in but frankly it and my entire research game sucks right now so congratulations to @Sir Creep on his inevitable April victory.

14 minutes ago, msc said:

My team is in but frankly it and my entire research game sucks right now so congratulations to @Sir Creep on his inevitable April victory.

My friend, I have no idea how to research this game this time.  Go with temporarily sick people?  None of us have a clue how to determine probability of life or death with C19.  And it's almost impossible to find articles about anyone suffering from anything else.  This sucks.  I know most people are going to throw C19 names up this month, but I can't justify that.  Could be someone gets 8 hits others 1.  Total guessing game.
SC

I’m not playing the Covid cup, so my team is almost free of them. Well, there’s 2, but one of them has since fucking recovered.

I would throw away some line about definitely not winning, but Roey (off of losing) has already implied I’m not ‘competitive’ in a previous post, so I don’t need to.

Best of luck, Captain Cho! You’re not going to need it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Deane Sutherland is dead

Not a QO but the article about him getting married last year was to a Toni and the age is about right. One of the comments talks about him going to the Great Gig in the Sky too.

So not claiming the points just pointing out he's dead.

"Published in The New Zealand Herald on Mar. 30, 2020

Print Obituary"

No idea was published in the Herald, but even if it was (and likely was) precisely what I'm looking aforementioned, that is a QO for our purposes.  Or are you saying this is a lie and it wasn't published in the Herald?  We shouldn't have to produce the Herald (and I am guessing this IS the obit in the Herald reprinted for NZ Death Notices.
SC

I tried that argument with Dave Agosti last year for the Hare's. Didnt work.

Yeah. It’s gonna have be in a online source. Precedent on here has rejected those sources that are only printed. Otherwise, I could’ve gone “oh look, I totally found a death notice for George Hallett in this fake site I made based on a real obit source, honest.” 

5 hours to go and I am still waiting on 9 teams to come in...

https://www.facebook.com/ratsdontwalkaway/?ref=search&__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARDHIbmEvzVbsTXFKozXaks7gVYhXwkRPbWaNumfLV4m5TUyClZwBA9mG3LocMroiHdUo5SRu6AaXYg_

Not sure why this FB link isn't linking.   Anyway, post from the person eulogizing Mr. Sutherland.  He died on March 27th accordingly.  Obit posted in New Zealand Herald on March 30.  Alls I know.