Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

23 minutes ago, deadsox said:

Yes do hit the "send flowers" button and send them to Sir C, winner of the "Whiner of the Year Award".

yes because having rules on a game and making sure they are followed for all names of all people going forward is whining?  Have you ever administered a thing in your dumbass life?

The fact is it’s impossible to deny Sir Creep is correct.  You may dance on the head of a pin with twisted logic but feel free to embarrass yourself while telling everyone here on DL how he is mistaken and that this isn’t a published obit from the New Zealand Herald.  Go ahead cunto, DO IT!

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

yes because having rules on a game and making sure they are followed for all names of all people going forward is whining?  Have you ever administered a thing in your dumbass life?

I'm not sure how you know anything about my life since you don't know me.  I do know that if you were speaking to me in person, you'd mind your manners.

More to the point, this obit has all the earmarks of a PAID announcement.

You won the match. Stop whining about the fact that you didn't get to pile on a bit more.

Its been a long standing part of the Cup that the host needs to see the actual obit, not a claim it exists somewhere. This rarely was ever an issue, in fact, I can only think of one other time in 4 years it became an issue. Otherwise there's nothing stopping us picking super obscure thing then claiming to see an obit in our local newspapers.

• Like 2

Congrats to my opponent Torva and good luck to everyone!

I am a bit sad I cannot participate in this wild lottery.

The team I sent yesterday was simply the 11 oldest notable centenarians according to Wikipedia. Plus subs further down the list.

• Like 1

After the first two matches where we had to wait a while for a hit, we finally got a first day hit on our hands. Must’ve been the corona beer everyone was drinking. But the Somali head of state Nur Hassan Hussein begins leads for multiple teams. First, in a rematch against Clorox, deadsox has taken the lead against his opponent. The question is will the results be different than last year’s April cup match for the two of them? Only time will tell. Then there’s Jiroemon, who so far has shown an excellent sophomore effort in the cup. Chorizo takes his first hit against Quim who will no doubt complain “bollocks, I’m about to lose again.” However, that match is far from over. DeathByArsenic once again takes the lead against Torva, in what will no doubt be a wild ride of a match. An Fear Beag showing a very solid rookie performance here, but be aware. He does have to worry about the man known as Frank Ifield. His death could change the whole game. Finally, we have our match between two of the cups finest competitors, and right now Death Impends takes the lead against Banana. So far, some interesting results, but as it’s only the first, this is very much far from over...

1. Clorox vs Deadsox 0 - 3

2. Sir Creep vs msc 0 - 0 

3. Book vs JiroemonKimura 0 - 3

4. Chorizo vs Quim Reaper 3 - 0 

5. Grim vs Grobler 0 - 0 

6. DeathByArsenic vs Torva 3 - 0 

7. An Fear Bag vs YoungWillz 3 - 0 

8. Banana vs Death Impends 0 - 3 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Let’s revisit this Sutherland thing.  If one clicks on the link saying NZ Herald they get the image below.  IT IS THE DEATH NOTICE.  Do you SEE the New Zealand Herald name/stylized writing?  Or are you creating a brand new rule it has to be in .pdf format cuz I’d like that rule in writing before the game starts.

SirC

548417EB-87CC-4086-B31F-B433C766909D.png

Dude, you already won your match against me, there is no reason to bring this up again when the ruling of hosts have been clear. 

• Like 3

Bit late but...well done Deadsox, hope you go all the way from here :mellow:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Bit late but...well done Deadsox, hope you go all the way from here :mellow:

Thank you Mary, I was lucky to get by you.

3 minutes ago, deadsox said:

Thank you Mary, I was lucky to get by you.

Well...

It was tight, but you deserved it! 

Assuming there are enough humans left alive next January might give this one another go!

• Like 1

Carry overs:

Killer Tim Brooks - hospice, cancer

Michael Ziegler - hospice, cancer

Gary Burford - hospice, cancer

Newbies:

Dale Tramp* - hospice, suffered massive heart attack a week ago and not expected to recover

S. Clay Wilson* - long-time hospicer, recent pics don't make him look too great and current pandemic doesn't make situation any better

Bennie Adkins - critically ill with COVID-19, 80+

Jean-Luc Reitzer* - critically ill with COVID-19, recently put into a coma

Webster Garrison* - critically ill with COVID-19, on ventilator, those close don't seem too optimistic

Bhabani Charan Pattanayak* - critically ill with cardiac issues, surprised nobody picked drol's tip unless I'm missing something

Jack Allard - critically ill with COVID-19, in coma

Sonny Alvarez - critically ill with COVID-19, on life support, 80+

I don't think I win this month. shucks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Banana said:

Newbies:

Dale Tramp* - hospice, suffered massive heart attack a week ago and not expected to recover

I don't think I win this month. shucks

I hate to be the possible bearer of bad news, but would this be your Dale Tramp?:

http://funeralinnovations.com/obituary/376545/Dale-Tramp/

If so, he didn't make it to the starting line.  Date of death March 30th. (And if it's not him, it's one hell of a coincidence.)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

I hate to be the possible bearer of bad news, but would this be your Dale Tramp?:

If so, he didn't make it to the starting line.  Date of death March 30th. (And if it's not him, it's one hell of a coincidence.)

goddammit Joey.  He was a high school teacher and football coach.  Are you saying HIGH SCHOOL coach is celebrity now?  

17 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Dude, you already won your match against me, there is no reason to bring this up again when the ruling of hosts have been clear. 

It’s about establishing guidelines.   
Your ruling sucks if you can’t argue it’s veracity.  Go for it pipsqueak.

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

I just so happened to message Joey about this. I do believe since that was posted 3 days ago (even before the article came out) that my first sub should come into play as they should never have been accepted in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

goddammit Joey.  He was a high school teacher and football coach.  Are you saying HIGH SCHOOL coach is celebrity now

Every day I wonder “is today the day Sir Creep takes his head out of his ass” and every day I’m proven wrong. 

He’s a HALL OF FAME high school football coach and to basically every one else’s recollection, WT Johnson was a fairly popular pick here last year. Stop complaining about Joey especially when you can barely even manage your own Deadpool. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Would you say theyre more or less established than the ABC obit rules?

Ok, maybe I’m missing something on this Deane Sutherland debate.

Surely the obituary posted above is the typical paid for obit that families and funeral directors pay to put into local papers every day of the week. 
I am very new to this whole deadpooling thing, but my understanding was that these type of obits are not accepted in any pool, regardless of how august the publication is. Otherwise any of us could pay to put a death notice in a local rag and claim it as a legitimate obit. 

Or am I missing some obvious (or indeed subtle) aspect of deadpooling? 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Ok, maybe I’m missing something on this Deane Sutherland debate.

Surely the obituary posted above is the typical paid for obit that families and funeral directors pay to put into local papers every day of the week. 
I am very new to this whole deadpooling thing, but my understanding was that these type of obits are not accepted in any pool, regardless of how august the publication is. Otherwise any of us could pay to put a death notice in a local rag and claim it as a legitimate obit. 

Or am I missing some obvious (or indeed subtle) aspect of deadpooling? 

The Hares Pool used to accept such obits, but that has gone now. There's still a wide open field of possible QOs on that pool, and Sutherland hasn't got one yet as far as I know.

On 31/03/2020 at 15:02, Grim Up North said:

6 if you include my tie with Engineer? If Steve Blackmore (unique joker) dies then I lose.

A bit late to it but congrats man and best of luck in the next round.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, if you’re a hall of fame coach chances are you’ll be accepted. But it doesn’t matter anyways, he died before the starting line and as such no points for Banana here. He it was known that he did die before the starting line before the 3rd though, so he will be subbed in with William Powell, and Banana also gets the chance to nominate another joker too. 

EDIT: he nominated “Killer” Tim Brooks as new joker

Ah, there’s that fast start we all were looking for. So Mexican attorney Gerardo Ruiz Espardo has died not because of coronavirus but because of a stroke instead. Weird that this match isn’t entirely of coronavirus victims so far. :huh:

But anyways, he’s a unique for JiroemonKimura, and could be one of the favorites to win this...

1. Clorox vs Deadsox 0 - 3

2. Sir Creep vs msc 0 - 0 

3. Book vs JiroemonKimura 0 - 7

4. Chorizo vs Quim Reaper 3 - 0 

5. Grim vs Grobler 0 - 0 

6. DeathByArsenic vs Torva 3 - 0 

7. An Fear Bag vs YoungWillz 3 - 0 

8. Banana vs Death Impends 0 - 3 

Freeman Dyson who was on my March team died days before the game started and William Frankland was on my unneeded April team

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

My ruling sucks because I made a decision you didn’t like? Dude, almost none of the major pools accept those types of obits. Hell, I’m not even sure @maryportfuncity allows death notices in Deathrace. So just quit whining about the past and focus on the April match, okay?

No wonder msc quit his job as hosting after three years...

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

My ruling sucks because I made a decision you didn’t like? Dude, almost none of the major pools accept those types of obits. Hell, I’m not even sure @maryportfuncity allows death notices in Deathrace. So just quit whining about the past and focus on the April match, okay?

No wonder msc quit his job as hosting after three years...

Well the DDP came calling but yes, I am glad not to have to deal with all the Cup complaints for a bit! :D

• Like 1