Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

I knew of Tramp, but didn't think high school coaches passed the Joey threshold (don't take this as whinging! I should have remembered WT Johnson...), so a lucky break for me. I still think Banana has the edge though.

Elsewhere a slight oof that Frankland dies two days after I dropped him, even if I only picked him as a random centenarian.

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

My ruling sucks because I made a decision you didn’t like? Dude, almost none of the major pools accept those types of obits. Hell, I’m not even sure @maryportfuncity allows death notices in Deathrace. So just quit whining about the past and focus on the April match, okay?

No wonder msc quit his job as hosting after three years...

Death notices - yeah, if we allowed those you could BUY victory near as makes no odds once you'd got an in with someone in the local hospice. 

Even I'd draw the line there

• Like 2

On 01/04/2020 at 01:27, msc said:

My team with "who the fuck are they" descriptions for Biblio and co:

1.      (Joker) Mark DeSaulnier – US politician, California congressman. Took ill with pneumonia and had a fall. Said to be gravely ill, then had two separate "health has got worse" notices in the last week, so I can only assume he is very very ill.

2.      Lee Teng-Hui - A drol favourite. Got to pick one of them.

3.      Michael Ziegler (Pride industries CEO) - Same CEO in a hospice I picked last month

4.      John Prine - "An absolute nobody" Deathray

5.      Bob Glanzer - US congress politician who got coronavirus and his colleagues helpfully said today they "dont know if he's going to make it".

6.      Bennie Adkins - Popular Medal of Honour winner in the US.

7.      Gary Burford - Dying musician I nicked off Death Impends team.

8.      Ronald Shurer - Medal of Honour winner in the US I nicked off Death Impends DDP team.

9.      Robin Hanbury Tennison - Explorer and former boss of the Countryside Alliance, now gravely ill with coronavirus.

10.   Said Amara - Algerian football legend, played for Bordeaux in the 60s, now gravely ill in Algeria

11.   Peter Duchin - Band leader/musician from New York. Also has coronavirus. The team has a majority of non-corona cases: 6 to 5! :lol:

Don't know if it was already posted somewhere, but the bad cold going around has killed the Bob Glanzer too.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, drol said:

Don't know if it was already posted somewhere, but the bad cold going around has killed the Bob Glanzer too.

Thanks. You know when American Republicans stop talking prayers and thoughts and start talking "unlikely to make it", someone must be fecked. As Mr Glanzer was.

So far Duchin, Adkins, Tennison and DeSaulnier all still critical condition after a week. Prine now has pneumonia in both lungs and Covid. No new news on Amara, Burford or Ziegler but they're all v. ill. Drol's guy is still in hospital, and Shurer is doing "dont get lung cancer" awareness on Instagram. Tbh it was between him and Lone Dybkjaer (both at the draining lungs bit of lung cancer) for the cup spot and I went with the one I could spell!

Bob Glanzer was a local politician in South Dakota, and two folk picked him. First, msc takes the lead against Sir Creep, in what will no doubt be one of the closest matches of the month. This leaves Grim vs Grobler as the only match without any points now. Then, Clorox takes the lead against deadsox with the very first joker hit of the month. All part of a very long month ahead...

1. Clorox vs Deadsox 6 - 3

2. Sir Creep vs msc 0 - 3

3. Book vs JiroemonKimura 0 - 7

4. Chorizo vs Quim Reaper 3 - 0 

5. Grim vs Grobler 0 - 0 

6. DeathByArsenic vs Torva 3 - 0 

7. An Fear Bag vs YoungWillz 3 - 0 

8. Banana vs Death Impends 0 - 3 

• Like 3

055B6998-FBD6-4A7D-861A-07D5DC2060F4.jpeg

• Like 1

Update on the popular Hanbury Tennison (Paywalled in the Spectator):

I just spoke to my father for the first time in 16 days. He wasn’t able to speak back but the nurse told me that he smiled when he heard my voice. This is the first sign of consciousness we’ve had from him since he was sedated over two weeks ago to help his body fight the coronavirus that has been running through his veins.

During that time his lungs failed and a ventilator had to take over all of his breathing. A few days later his kidneys ceased to function properly and he was put on full dialysis. His muscles have atrophied and, even with the NHS angels who watch over him every day moving his limbs, his body has become weaker than it’s ever been before.

Since the weekend the doctors have been trying to slowly wake him up but he has been suffering from severe sedation delirium; a condition where the confusion and discombobulation of being brought out of such a long slumber turn to panic and distress. They had to re-sedate him several times and eventually resorted to slicing his neck open and inserting a tracheotomy so that he could wake without the sensation of tubes going down his throat.

It's been a long few weeks but the nurse who we just spoke to was the most enthusiastic we have heard so far. The terms ‘knife edge’, ‘touch and go’ and ‘extremely ill’ have haunted us every time we’ve phoned the intensive care ward. Today we’ve started to hear ‘cautiously optimistic’ and ‘positive steps forward’. It’s terrifying to hope that he might be through the worst of the danger but there may now be a gently sloping upward journey to the sunny lit uplands of recuperation and survival.

It then goes onto detail the family plans to celebrate his birthday in 5 weeks, and events for their dad further this summer...

And so John Prine went the same way as the drug addicted Sam Stone did. An Angel from Montgomery took John Prine today, and news of Coronavirus and plenty of health problems made him a popular cup pick in April. Both Clorox and deadsox picked Prine, but Prine was deadsox’s joker and is now even with Clorox. However, clorox still leads due to Glanzer being slightly younger than Hussein was. msc takes a 6 point lead against Sir Creep, a surprisingly big gap against the former cup runner up. An even bigger gap happens in Book vs Jiroemon, where the latter now has a 10 point lead against the former. However, the match is far from over. Also, a Prine joker has Chorizo with a 9 point lead over Quim, who will no doubt be shouting once again “arseburgers, I’m going to lose!” Grim finally brings a score in his tie against grobler, while Torva takes the lead against DeathByArsenic with a Prine joker. YoungWillz has Prine as joker while An Fear Beag just has Prine as a pick. The latter leads on hits, but watch out for that sneaky Frank Ifield pick. Finally, in a bit of a surprising move, Banana is down 6 points as Death Impends has Prine on his team. All up for a long match ahead...

1. Clorox vs Deadsox 9 - 9

2. Sir Creep vs msc 0 - 6

3. Book vs JiroemonKimura 0 - 10

4. Chorizo vs Quim Reaper 9 - 0 

5. Grim vs Grobler 3 - 0 

6. DeathByArsenic vs Torva 3 - 6

7. An Fear Bag vs YoungWillz 6 - 6

8. Banana vs Death Impends 0 - 6

• Like 4

Oh cunt.

I have no problem believing Prine died.  I have a problem believing me opponent believed he would die.

Yeah, Covid and other health problems typically doesn’t mix very well together, which I imagine that alongside news he was in critical condition was why over half the players picked him...

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, Covid and other health problems typically doesn’t mix very well together, which I imagine that alongside news he was in critical condition was why over half the players picked him...

hmmm I’m guessing laziness is why over half the teams picked him.  

With the death of Michael Yun that now makes 5 hits for my bench, 0 for my team.

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I have no problem believing Prine died.  I have a problem believing me opponent believed he would die.

Underlying issues plus coronavirus plus ventilator.

But he was one of the first names on the team because I was all "He's going to be on every team and the fuck am I giving Sir Creep a 3 point lead!" Accidentally successful defence!

8 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Clorox vs Deadsox 9 - 9

giphy_(2).gif.e4fd709832f702516c4306e046fb892a.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

giphy_(2).gif.e4fd709832f702516c4306e046fb892a.gif

Yeah I noticed after the draw that the next round was going to be an Ox v a Gr whatever happened.

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

hmmm I’m guessing laziness is why over half the teams picked him.  

It’s not laziness. It’s the past health problems that you said weren’t that serious that made him more susceptible to the illness. And being on a ventilator didn’t exactly help him either. Had those past health problems didn’t exist, there was a chance he would’ve survived that. But he didn’t sadly...

• Like 1

Been surprisingly quiet in the cup, but I think that shows you the unpredictability of coronavirus picks in general. That, and all of the survivors from March still look to be alive. So it’s interesting to see if there will be more deaths in the second half of the cup...

13 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Been surprisingly quiet in the cup, but I think that shows you the unpredictability of coronavirus picks in general. That, and all of the survivors from March still look to be alive. So it’s interesting to see if there will be more deaths in the second half of the cup...

Quite happy for the round to grind to a dull end to be completely honest with you, Joey...

Just now, msc said:

Quite happy for the round to grind to a dull end to be completely honest with you, Joey...

You’re not just saying that just because you’re lead, are you? :P 

But yeah, with all the death going around in the world, I think it might be better for a round to not have so many deaths since there’s a ton of it known in the news...

Sir Creep's joker, Navajo Tribe official Jean Greymountain DeJolie, is dead of coronavirus... but unlucky for him, she died on March 31st with no news reports until the 6th. :skull:

• Facepalm 1

Oof, and unfortunately it’s way too late for a sub to come in. My condolences to Creep...