Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

4 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Also Viestarts Aistars died on the first, but I can't find anything that would qualify here. Just Deane Sutherland-styled legacy pages.

Speaking of which:

are there other DPs this might work for?

https://www.audioculture.co.nz/people/satellite-spies

This is shaping up to be my worst showing in Cup, in the most prospective month in a while.

Killer Tim Brooks - still in hospice

Michael Ziegler - still in hospice

Gary Burford - still in hospice, but losing his shot at a QO

S. Clay Wilson - still in long-term hospice, my punt looking bad. That dumb tweet reminded me of him and thought he looked fairly worse than other recent pics. Remains to be said.

Bennie Adkins - still critically ill? No news on him from this month.

Jean-Luc Reitzer - recent news says he's now improving

Webster Garrison - apparently improving

Bhabani Charan Pattanayak - no news from this month

Jack Allard - slightly improving

Sonny Alvarez - undergoing plasma treatment, no clue what this entails

William Powell - awake and improving

Well, even the best cup players have their awful months. Just ask Spade in February 2018, for example. Not every cup month turns out to be a banger. Still, there’s still time yet for a potential cup comeback...

On 13/04/2020 at 20:07, Death Impends said:

Sir Creep's joker, Navajo Tribe official Jean Greymountain DeJolie, is dead of coronavirus... but unlucky for him, she died on March 31st with no news reports until the 6th. :skull:

well.... I couldn’t even find THAT update and I been lookin.

that's why we have subs... whoever it is.  But my two top certs are 1) ineligible and 2) recovering nicely.  I basically concede to msc and tip my cap and wish him well in May.  
SC

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

well.... I couldn’t even find THAT update and I been lookin.

that's why we have subs... whoever it is.  But my two top certs are 1) ineligible and 2) recovering nicely.  I basically concede to msc and tip my cap and wish him well in May.  
SC

Yeah, unfortunately subs won’t be subbed in at this point considering how late her death was even reported, let alone found out. Sorry, them the rules.

On 13/04/2020 at 20:17, Joey Russ said:

Oof, and unfortunately it’s way too late for a sub to come in. My condolences to Creep...

My #1 sub is already being said to recover.  Why would it ever be too late for a sub.  This is precisely WHY we have subs.  The point is moot but won’t be for those advancing.  

On 01/01/2020 at 18:40, Joey Russ said:

9.    Here is what happens in the case of a team member dying prematurely (ie on 28th Feb for the March game). If you discover this before the 3rd of the month, your top sub will automatically go into place. If it is discovered on the 3rd or after, sorry about your luck. If it turns out the person was dead and known to be (this is determined via a reference in a newspaper or magazine, not social media) then subs don’t come into play. This was a bone of contention in 2017, 2018, AND 2019 and I hope this clears that up. If it bloody well doesn’t I’m instituting a Hewlett Rule in 2021!

This rule has been long established, and that rule will stay. 

4 hours ago, Banana said:

Gary Burford - still in hospice, but losing his shot at a QO

Why would he not get a QO? Surely he’d get a mention somewhere if he goes? 

I’m aware that Christophe is dead, but he’s going to need either Le Monde or something from an English newspaper to count for the two people who picked him in the cup

13 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m aware that Christophe is dead, but he’s going to need either Le Monde or something from an English newspaper to count for the two people who picked him in the cup

He surely get Le Monde  seing as it seems every other french paper is reporting it.

Is Le Figaro also not a q/o? The front page says so. He gets that- https://www.lefigaro.fr/culture/le-chanteur-christophe-est-mort-emporte-a-74-ans-par-le-coronavirus-20200417

Just realized that Le Fígaro is an acceptable source too, and here it is. Christophe’s death is important for 2 matches. For one, Death Impends now has a whopping 9 point lead against Banana, who has basically already conceded his match against him. Though there’s still time yet for a comeback. Meanwhile, DeathByArsenic has Christophe as their joker, so he now takes a 3 point lead against Torva. Many coronavirus picks are looking less likely now, and as such there’s a good chance many of the matches will remain stagnant. Although it ain’t over till it’s over...

1. Clorox vs Deadsox 9 - 9

2. Sir Creep vs msc 0 - 6

3. Book vs JiroemonKimura 0 - 10

4. Chorizo vs Quim Reaper 9 - 0 

5. Grim vs Grobler 3 - 0 

6. DeathByArsenic vs Torva 9 - 6

7. An Fear Bag vs YoungWillz 6 - 6

8. Banana vs Death Impends 0 - 9

How is a non-English source acceptable?  That was the touchstone rule when this started a few years back ‘any English language obit’.  Oh well.

Christophe one of my subs, like I said this was going to become ‘who picks the right C19 folks. It is what it is. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

How is a non-English source acceptable?  That was the touchstone rule when this started a few years back ‘any English language obit’.  Oh well.

Christophe one of my subs, like I said this was going to become ‘who picks the right C19 folks. It is what it is. 

Moot question for him anyway as - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/17/christophe-celebrated-french-pop-balladeer-dies-aged-74

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Many coronavirus picks are looking less likely now, and as such there’s a good chance many of the matches will remain stagnant

I think my match with Grobler only has two Covid picks in it (one of which is the only hit) and it’s still stagnant!

• Like 1

The “pick-a-covid-victim” strategy seems to have been the best one in this round. It might be stagnation for the non-covid picks but the corona hits keep trickling in.

https://www.alabamanews.net/2020/04/17/retired-army-command-sgt-maj-bennie-g-adkins-medal-of-honor-recipient-from-opelika-dies-after-covid-19-illness/

Medal of Honor recipient Bennie Adkins was among the most popular corona picks for this round, and as such a lot of people picked him. First, in a bit of a reverse from last round it is now deadsox who has taken the lead against Clorox. A big change from the squonking that Clorox had against deadsox last April. Speaking of which there are legitimate squonkings this round. msc has opened up a 9 point lead against Sir Creep, and with no joker by his side, gonna be real hard to come back from this. Also having a big squonking is Quim Reaper, who’s declaration of “I’m totally going to lose this one” is likely correct this time. Now, Banana after so long has finally got a hit for his team. Unfortunately for him, Adkins was also on Death Impends team and was also his joker, so Banana now is 12 points behind the former DDP winner. The biggest squonking, however, unfortunately goes to Book. Book did have Adkins but unfortunately was up against JiroemonKimura, who like Death Impends jokered Adkins, and now leads 13 points against Book. Two other matches had someone pick Adkins. For one, Grim is now at 2 for 2 for corona picks and has a bit of a comfortable lead there. Meanwhile, An Fear Beag has a narrow lead against YoungWillz, which still leaves room for Frank Ifield to change the entire match up. All while waiting to see if there’s any twists to come...

1. Clorox vs Deadsox 9 - 12

2. Sir Creep vs msc 0 - 9

3. Book vs JiroemonKimura 3 - 16

4. Chorizo vs Quim Reaper 12 - 0 

5. Grim vs Grobler 6 - 0 

7. An Fear Bag vs YoungWillz 9 - 6

8. Banana vs Death Impends 3 - 15 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

8. Banana vs Death Impends 3 - 15 

WOO!

One hit after all! :party:
Believe it or not but once I considered Bob Glanzer, Hassan Hussein, John Pine, Christophe and Abba Kyari taken up in my April-Cup-team.

But then I found much better picks, which seemed to be in more critical conditions, and I chose them instead. I don't have to say more.
Congratulations, Jiroemon! :D

I now declare that cup entries for the quarterfinals are officially open.

• Like 2

On 01/04/2020 at 21:51, Banana said:

Sonny Alvarez - critically ill with COVID-19, on life support, 80+

I don't think I win this month. shucks

Sonny Alvarez dead at 80.

Sonny Alvarez turns out to be a bit of a consolation prize for the two folk who picked them, and they now have a little bit more respectable scores. First, Book finally gets a differential against JiroemonKimura, but is still 10 points behind. Second, Banana also gets his first differential hit against Death Impends, and reduces his lead to 9. Is a comeback on the cards? Only time will tell. One things for certain though. Quim is now the person with the biggest difference between them with 12 between him and Chorizo...

1. Clorox vs Deadsox 9 - 12

2. Sir Creep vs msc 0 - 9

3. Book vs JiroemonKimura 6 - 16

4. Chorizo vs Quim Reaper 12 - 0 

5. Grim vs Grobler 6 - 0 

7. An Fear Bag vs YoungWillz 9 - 6

8. Banana vs Death Impends 6 - 15 

• Thanks 1