Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

15 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Some of these cases are indeed borderline of being FFBI, which is inevitable given that cup hosts try to be as lenient as possible without accepting actual FFBI (and for the record, I have rejected names such as Taylor Swift’s mom, local firemen, and an obscure university professor who didn’t even get an acceptable cup obit anyways). Now I had thought there was evidence out there of a horseback career that allowed me to let her in. She didn’t have a big career in it, but I thought there was enough. Now, so far none of the folk on forum has even taken issue with this except for someone who doesn’t even have an interest in the cup. If there’s more cup folk who aren’t okay with the decision of letting her in then I may take some action, but as it stands she’s staying in the cup as a scoring hit, and my word is final. Okay?

No wonder the cup can be super stressful to host at times...

Sounding a little bit tetchy there.  I was just looking for some clarification. 

Re the putative equestrian career, I suspect you made an assumption based on a bit of newspaperspeak.

• Like 1

Having the experience of running the Cup (and creating the first FFBI ban on this forum...) I am well aware of how the deadline day works. People are obsessed with trying to play to the letter of the rules and offer all kinds of names which you have to trawl through and veto or allow, and sometimes in the midst of this a fast one can be sold to your poor host. I'm not sure I would have accepted Hermstad if I were still host - I can't find much on her jockey career - but I suppose her charity career might have allowed her on a team. However,  that line decision is down to Joey now and I respect his choices. Even if I am currently losing to them!

It is what it is.

49 minutes ago, Toast said:

But I thought that FFBI picks weren't allowed, and I am not convinced that anyone would ever have heard of this person but for her illness.  

Probably not, because if she didn’t have her illness, she wouldn’t have been campaigning to get a treatment licensed. In the same way that few would have heard of Vicky phelan if she didn’t have cervical cancer because she wouldn’t be campaigning on behalf of cervical cancer patients. And Pete Frates probably wouldn’t have been famous without ALS because he wouldn’t have started the Icebucket challenge to raise funds for it. 

There is obviously a big difference between someone who just talks to the Mirror or the Mail about their diagnosis, and someone like Frates who did a huge amount of work raising funds for research into his condition. But there is also a big spectrum of activity in between those two extremes. And somewhere along that spectrum, someone stops being FFBI and achieves their own level of fame. I have no idea where along the spectrum that turning point is, and it is certainly debatable whether Jaci Hermstad had crossed that threshold. But I’m happy to accept the ruling of the host as to whether or not someone has achieved their own level of fame, as I was earlier in the competition when a debatable pick of mine was allowed in, and another was ruled out. As should everyone else - it seems hard enough running one of these pools without someone whinging and bitching about a decision. 
It’s a game for fuck sake, and one that your not even taking part in. 

While there may be controversy with the Jaci Hermstad thing, the complete opposite occurs with Sam Lloyd, who has sadly lost his cancer battle at 56. He scores for two teams, however both of them (msc and Death Impends), are in the same tie. So no, neither of them have scrubbed the other chances of winning just yet...

1. DeathByArsenic vs An Fear Bag 0 - 3

2. JiroemonKimura vs Chorizo 0 - 0

3. Clorox  vs Grim 0 - 0 

4. Death Impends vs msc 6 - 3

Arent people like Andrea Swift more family of the famous than famous for being ill - should be a second rule for those who who sudden death from heart attack even if not ill would get a QO.

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Arent people like Andrea Swift more family of the famous than famous for being ill - should be a second rule for those who who sudden death from heart attack even if not ill would get a QO.

Let’s not get into that debate today...

1 hour ago, An Fear Beag said:

it seems hard enough running one of these pools without someone whinging and bitching about a decision. 
It’s a game for fuck sake, and one that your not even taking part in. 

I was not "whinging and bitching".  As I said, I was just seeking clarification.  Yes, it's a game , and games have rules. 

And it's "you're", not "your".

• Thanks 1

Alright, there’s now evidence that Sam Lloyd died on the 30th, and as such his points has been rescinded from the two pickers. Fortunately, both of them did provide subs for there teams, and it is changed as followed:

Msc now has Willie K on his team 

Death Impends now has Yoo Sang-Chul on his squad. 

Master list to be updated, and refer to the first scoreboard with Jaci Hermstad as the actual tallies for the score...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Toast said:

I was not "whinging and bitching".  As I said, I was just seeking clarification.  Yes, it's a game , and games have rules. 

And it's "you're", not "your".

You wouldn’t know it this year.  

9 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

You wouldn’t know it this year.  

and speaking of whinging and bitching ......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Greg Zanis has died, and news of his terminal cancer/hospice was widespread in the news so most of the cup team prepared their crosses for him. First, Fear Beag now leads DeathByArsenic by 6 points as it might spell the end for the wonder run of DeathByArsenic. Next, Jiroemon leads Chorizo due to Zanis being the joker of the former. Next, Grim is hoping to get revenge on Clorox for leading him in Windy City, but so far Clorox has a bit of an advantage with him having Zanis as joker. Finally, it what’s looking to be the tightest match so far, both msc and Death Impends picker Zanis. Msc selected him as his joker, but Death Impends still leads since he has hit with both Hermstad and Zanis as hits. All part of a wild month ahead...

1. DeathByArsenic vs An Fear Bag 0 - 6

2. JiroemonKimura vs Chorizo 6 - 3

3. Clorox  vs Grim 6 - 0 

4. Death Impends vs msc 6 - 6

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

https://cascadebluesassociation.org/musician-and-promoter-gary-burford-passes-on/

It looks like Gary Burford has died ......in April.

I guess it’s too late for subs at this stage. 

Yeah, definitely too late for subs, and I’m not really sure I would’ve been able to count that as an acceptable obit since it looks very bloggy...

On 01/04/2020 at 08:14, Sir Creep said:

Let’s revisit this Sutherland thing.  If one clicks on the link saying NZ Herald they get the image below.  IT IS THE DEATH NOTICE.  Do you SEE the New Zealand Herald name/stylized writing?  Or are you creating a brand new rule it has to be in .pdf format cuz I’d like that rule in writing before the game starts.

SirC

548417EB-87CC-4086-B31F-B433C766909D.png

See Sir Creep, that above doesn’t count as an acceptable QO source. However, this would’ve counted. Problem is, it didn’t come out until very recently. Now, look at the photo above and look at the obit itself, and I want you to think really hard about what might be some differences that made the photo above not a QO but the source I linked an acceptable source. Think very long and hard about this one. Hint, it’s not that one of them was a photo...

200_d.gif.eeceb4b886976785ce7fd87e3ad4a4f7.gif

Inevitably there will be some cup misses over the coming months. This one in the form of Canadian actor William McFadden

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Inevitably there will be some cup misses over the coming months. This one in the form of Canadian actor William McFadden

Ah bollocks. Another one that I gave up on too early. 
If I do make the semi-final, I might as well fill the team with people I’ve dropped from previous teams. 

On 01/05/2020 at 01:05, Joey Russ said:

May Masterlist:

1. Susan Bayh - Chorizo 

2. Joao Bosco - Jiroemon

3. “Killer” Tim Brooks - Jiroemon, DeathByArsenic, msc, Fear Beag*, Grim*, Clorox, Death Impends, Chorizo*

4. Denis Brott - Chorizo 

5. Gary Burford - DeathByArsenic, msc, Fear Beag, Grim, Clorox, Death Impends, Chorizo 

6. Pierre Cardin - DeathByArsenic 

7. Nick Cordero - Jiroemon, msc, Clorox

8. Michael Cullen - Jiroemon, msc, Clorox

9. Derek Draper - Jiroemon, msc, Fear Beag, Grim 

10. Lone Dybkjaer - Clorox, Chorizo 

11. Juliette Greco - DeathByArsenic 

12. David Gulpilil - Grim, Chorizo

13. David Hagen - Chorizo 

14. George Hallett - msc, Grim

15. Mauricio Hanuch - Jiroemon, Fear Beag 

16. Jaci Hermstad - Fear Beag, Death Impends 

17. Stanley Ho - DeathByArsenic 

18. Roy Horn - DeathByArsenic 

19. Jim Jeffords - Clorox 

20. Willie K - Grim, msc

21. Karolyn Kirchgesler - Clorox

22. Dimitrios Kremastinos - Death Impends 

23. Kato Lubwama - Fear Beag 

24. Vassos Lyssarides - DeathByArsenic*

25. Travis Perry - Clorox, Death Impends*

26. Muthappa Rai - Fear Beag 

27. Julie Rhora - Jiroemon 

28. Cecilia Romo - Fear Beag 

29. Michael Rosen - Jiroemon 

30. Yoo Sang-Chul - Jiroemon, Death Impends 

31. ATM Shamsuzzaman - DeathByArsenic 

32. Fernando Roth Schmidt - Jiroemon

33. Ronald J Shurer - Clorox, Death Impends, Chorizo 

34. Renee Simonot - DeathByArsenic 

35. Bernard Tapie - Grim

36. Lee Teng-hui - msc, Fear Beag, Grim, Death Impends, Chorizo 

37. Ruthie Thompson - Death Impends 

38. Peter Tobin - msc, Grim

39. Whang-od - DeathByArsenic 

40. Ken Wilkinson - Grim 

41. Maryan Winsniewski - DeathByArsenic 

42. Greg Zanis - Jiroemon*, msc*, Fear Beag, Clorox*, Death Impends, Chorizo

43. Michael Ziegler - msc, Fear Beag, Grim, Clorox, Death Impends, Chorizo

Dimitrios Kremastinos dead at 78 from COVID-19.

Hmm, with Cordero on the mend, I need 2 from Tobin, Hallett, Draper and Cullen to go just to pull level now.

The concession speech is in the drawer ready to go.

16 minutes ago, msc said:

Hmm, with Cordero on the mend, I need 2 from Tobin, Hallett, Draper and Cullen to go just to pull level now.

The concession speech is in the drawer ready to go.

Willie K?

20 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Willie K?

Oh yes, Sam Lloyd needed a sub. Forgot about that. Still, another could go today, could go in August name.

So Dimitrios Kremastinos has died, and Death Impends has now opened up a 4 point lead against msc. Does this prove that taking a much more relaxed approach in dead pools is the way to go in the future? Only time will tell, but in the mean time, points!

1. DeathByArsenic vs An Fear Bag 0 - 6

3. Clorox  vs Grim 6 - 0 

4. Death Impends vs msc 10 - 6

• Like 1

Roy Horn will get far more, but for now this is a good place holder. So Roy Horn has trained his last tiger, and while abusing animals isn’t a good thing it does make for moments like this: 

Anyways, it’s four points for DeathByArsenic who continues with their wonder run and is within striking distance of An Fear Beag... 

1. DeathByArsenic vs An Fear Bag 4 - 6

3. Clorox  vs Grim 6 - 0 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JiroemonKimura said:

My picks Julie Rhora and Fernando Roth Schmidt have both died, thought not sure about obit acceptability for the latter.

You’re going to have to find something better for Julie Rhora, as I can’t seem to access it at all. As for the latter, I haven’t really decided if that source should count. The source does look more legit than, say, the Burford blog that mentioned his death or the death notices that Sir Creep kept pushing for Sutherland, but the site still seems a bit weird outside of the obit. 

This one, on the other hand, is very much acceptable for Fernando Roth Schmidt. It brings you up 7 points ahead of Chorizo. 

1. DeathByArsenic vs An Fear Bag 4 - 6

2. JiroemonKimura vs Chorizo 10 - 3

3. Clorox  vs Grim 6 - 0