Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

3 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

I'm in, and I believe Death Impends is too, so unless someone else decides to kick the bucket in the next 40 minutes, it looks like that's the match-up.

I am  looking forward to DI trying to explain why I am the favourite for this one :facepalm:

Because you beat me! Good luck AFB!

4 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

I am looking forward to DI trying to explain why I am the favourite for this one :facepalm:

Always, always support the underdog/rookie. Come on AFB!

As a bit of a treat before the official match begins, they only share 4 names in total, and with those names only two are worth the exact same point total (while they share two other picks one of them does have a joker advantage on those two names). Should be interesting times ahead...

• Like 1

Finals Masterlist: 

1. Bullet Bob Armstrong - Death Impends 

2. Frankie Banali - Death Impends 

3. Susan Bayh - Death Impends 

4. Bishnu Das - An Fear Beag 

5. Krsnanandini Devi Dasi - Death Impends  

6. Derek Draper - Death Impends 

7. Ahmed Gohar - An Fear Beag 

8. Asel Kadyrbekova - An Fear Beag 

9. Gail Klock - Death Impends, An Fear Beag 

10. Abdallah Meshref - An Fear Beag 

11. Arthur Neto - An Fear Beag 

12. Tommy Palmer - Death Impends*, An Fear Beag 

13. Abdel Rahim Ali - An Fear Beag 

14. Georg Ratzinger - Death Impends, An Fear Beag 

15. Deepa Sahu - An Fear Beag 

16. Dingko Singh - Death Impends 

17. Bhakti Charu Swami - Death Impends, An Fear Beag*

18. Alex Zanardi - Death Impends 

• Like 1

That line-up illustrates why I don't play in this pool.  Almost all of them are names I have never clapped eyes on before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A warm congratulations to DI on a well-deserved win!  Best of luck!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Finals Masterlist: 

I think one could squeeze the lyrics to a doo-wop song out of that masterlist

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JiroemonKimura said:

A warm congratulations to DI on a well-deserved win!  Best of luck!

Good game Jiroemon. I couldn't have done it without the vibrant youth of Pat Dye, or summat.

12 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Finals Masterlist: 

I only properly know Zanardi! Banali and Bayh I've learned about on here, Draper is off of Kate Garraway and Ratzinger is off of Popes. Every other name as far as I'm concerned could quite easily have just been invented. That's my excuse for only managing the Quarters, anyway.

Good luck chaps, particularly An Fear Beag! 

1 minute ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I only properly know Zanardi! Banali and Bayh I've learned about on here, Draper is off of Kate Garraway and Ratzinger is off of Popes. Every other name as far as I'm concerned could quite easily have just been invented. That's my excuse for only managing the Quarters, anyway.

The only ones I sort of knew were Banali (I'm aware of the band but couldn't name any of its members) and Draper, whose name rang a bell but I had to look him up to remember why.   I vaguely remembered that Pope Benny had a brother. 

Zanardi I had never heard of until mentioned on here the other day, and Bayh I only know of from her appearances on people's lists.

The rest of the names are completely unknown to me.

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

The only ones I sort of knew were Banali (I'm aware of the band but couldn't name any of its members) and Draper, whose name rang a bell but I had to look him up to remember why.   I vaguely remembered that Pope Benny had a brother. 

Zanardi I had never heard of until mentioned on here the other day, and Bayh I only know of from her appearances on people's lists.

In a non-DL way I knew of Banali, Draper (not directly by name but I remember the Lobbygate scandal), the other Ratzinger lad and Bullet Bob.

Of the rest, some are Cup fodder but a fair few seem to be note-worthies I just haven't heard of - I don't really remember Indian politicians unless Drol has mentioned them seven million times. And even then...

The finals begin with a bang as one of the shared picks between the finalists scores. And it might be one of the most famous hits in competitive play too as Ratzinger was the brother of Pope Benedict. As such, the match is still effectively the same place as yesterday despite now being some scores...

1. Death Impends vs An Fear Beag 3 - 3 

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Until quite recently I thought Frankie Banali was a mis-rendering of Francis Benali the ex-Southampton defender. Only heard of Draper and Zanardi. This is of course why I lose in the first round every year.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2020 at 01:00, Joey Russ said:

Finals Masterlist: 

Bhakti Charu Swami dead from COVID-19 at 74.

This is another hit both of them had on their team. However, An Fear Beag takes the lead now with Bhakti Charu Swami being the joker of his. This is the beginning of a fairly interesting matchup...

1. Death Impends vs An Fear Beag 6 - 9

• Like 2

An interesting advantage, as Swami is likely younger than Death Impends' joker Tommy Palmer. But Palmer's age is slightly murky, as that one article about his cancer diagnosis only said that he's had a 60-year career since the age of 16. So is he 76 or just about that? Swami was 74 - so almost no difference....

I also think that Gail Klock is a good pick...and after Ratzinger, Palmer, Swami and Klock, that's where their common picks end.

I assume that there will be unique hits in this interesting match-up, so the question of Tommy Palmer's exact age might not matter after all.

It’s really a battle between two mindsets. One is basically a team with the best of the public names, and the other is a bit deeper in research names. Definitely can see this being close...

Sounds like a great idea. Adding on a bonus point if they die on either April 28 (my birthday) or July 6 (msc’s birthday), muahahaha. An Fear Beag now has a bit of an advantage against Death Impends, with the rookie of the year now taking a 7 point lead against one of the all time greats. But does Death Impends has something up his sleeve? Only time will tell, but in the mean time, points! 

1. Death Impends vs An Fear Beag 6 - 13

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/odisha-mla-bishnu-charan-das-dies/story-AEVQYpimVor5CQ1VzXHpLN.html

Isn't this the chap  on AFB's team? (Sorry DI if true. And sorry An Fear Beag for not instituting bonus points for any hits on a former hosts birthday. My bad.)

Thanks for that msc. Nice to get a hit to make up for the fucking annoyance of both Nurmagomedov and Cordero croaking it less than a week after I dropped them off my team. I think that is 6 people now who have died within  a month or two of me dropping them. If I could just learn a bit of patience, I might actually be good at this game.

2 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Thanks for that msc. Nice to get a hit to make up for the fucking annoyance of both Nurmagomedov and Cordero croaking it less than a week after I dropped them off my team. I think that is 6 people now who have died within  a month or two of me dropping them. If I could just learn a bit of patience, I might actually be good at this game.

Well, it seems like you are good at this game cause you’re currently winning the finals round. :o 

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Sounds like a great idea. Adding on a bonus point if they die on either April 28 (my birthday) or July 6 (msc’s birthday), muahahaha. An Fear Beag now has a bit of an advantage against Death Impends, with the rookie of the year now taking a 7 point lead against one of the all time greats. But does Death Impends has something up his sleeve? Only time will tell, but in the mean time, points! 

1. Death Impends vs An Fear Beag 6 - 13

I think that's a great idea too. In fact it is such a brilliant idea that it deserves to be made retrospectively!

Might be a bit too early to be taking the lead on Death Impends - it gives him far too long to come back. Now I just have to put everyone behind the ball and hope to mount a heroic rearguard action to defend the lead.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, msc said:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/odisha-mla-bishnu-charan-das-dies/story-AEVQYpimVor5CQ1VzXHpLN.html

Isn't this the chap on AFB's team? (Sorry DI if true. And sorry An Fear Beag for not instituting bonus points for any hits on a former hosts birthday. My bad.)

I've never seen such a blatant request to be wished happy birthday :D (which is perhaps why Joey and An ignored it?).

A belated Happy Birthday for yesterday :birthday: - hope you enjoyed your day.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I've never seen such a blatant request to be wished happy birthday :D (which is perhaps why Joey and An ignored it?).

A belated Happy Birthday for yesterday :birthday: - hope you enjoyed your day.

Hah, I made a gag about it being a bonus point a year or two ago. But thanks! :D

• Haha 1