Spade_Cooley

Dying Off The Radar

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 09:50, Bibliogryphon said:

If Philip Latham gets an obit. I am going to be even madder about David Fisher not getting one

Get mad and get even Biblio!

Go get them!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

On 08/09/2020 at 13:13, Spade_Cooley said:

Tina Kanarek, who lipsynched Jack White's uncredited vocals in the video for "Danger! High Voltage" by Electric Six, a 2002 #2 single, died in 2006 completely off the radar.

I was so disillusioned when I first looked up Electric Six after seeing this video on TV and discovered she wasn't an actual member of the band. A presence.

Thought the tabloids would have picked up on this one at least...

Edna Moore was the terrifying mother-in-law from Mills Hill, Rochdale, who had 15 minutes of fame after forcing an apology from Simon Cowell when she appeared on The X Factor in 2006, aged 86.

Anyway, YouTube comments from randoms led me to believe she had died in 2012 or 2015. Not the case. A relative on there confirms she only died in March 2019. This is backed up in the GRO Index: Moore, Edna / ROCHDALE / b. 1920 / d. Q1 2019. So she was 98–99 at the time of death.

RIP.

Anyone with an interest in modern-day kitsch, specifically "mockbusters", should be aware of Dingo Pictures - the German animation studio whose terrible, badly animated, nonsensical, cheap movies were re-released as shovelware "games" for the PS2 in the early 2000s. An example of their "craft" can be found here:

Anyway, after a recent YouTube binge I saw some comments that one of the founders had died and, searching German obituary records, I can confirm. Roswitha Haas died December 8, 2015. Doesn't appear to have been any coverage of this in German media. 

9 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Gary Dee Bradford, a child gospel singer born with thalidomide-like handicaps and a regular on lists of the worst ever album covers, died with little notice in 2019.

https://usobit.com/obituaries-2019/04/gary-deebradford-1964-2019/

Gary Dee Bradford - Sings For You, And You, And You (1975, Vinyl) | Discogs

Some of those song titles, though.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Toast said:

Some of those song titles, though.

I can find childlike or religious type meanings that probably pass muster for all of them unless one deliberately misconstrues/double-entendre's them, bar one....

That one though is extraordinarily jarring next to that picture.

• Haha 1

On 25/11/2020 at 16:02, gcreptile said:

2019 DDP pick Ursula Maury, a GDR schlager singer, probably died between 2005 and 2015 in Alicante in Spain, according to a german forum poster who wrote to her twice without reply:

https://www.memoryradio.de/memoryforum/viewtopic.php?t=6307

Given that the content of his second letter ‘why won’t ya write back ya old cunt?’ - a follow-up to his earlier vulgar-laced tirade he sent her that wasn’t exactly endearing a response - I’m not certain we can count this as proof.

IMDB.com has friend of Sharon Tate, actor Iain Quarrier dead since 2016, and he supposedly died in Kensington. The english Wikipedia page has followed. But it doesn't seem to be a certainty.

He's a DDP pick this year.

US pop art painter Kendall Shaw, also a DDP pick, died on Octobre 18th in 2019:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendall_Shaw

https://ogdenmuseum.org/looking-at-kendall-shaws-sunship-for-john-coltrane/

(takes a while to read the second link until it says that he died in his home in Brooklyn)

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

IMDB.com has friend of Sharon Tate, actor Iain Quarrier dead since 2016, and he supposedly died in Kensington. The english Wikipedia page has followed. But it doesn't seem to be a certainty.

He had dementia as of 2015 so I'm inclined to believe he is dead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

From the GRO:

QUARRIER, IAIN     1941  
GRO Reference:  DOR  Q2/2016 in Kensington And Chelsea  (239-1A)  Entry Number 513984729
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Weird how he was never on the press's radar, even when he was arrested for trying to abduct a five-year-old girl from a supermarket it didn't make it out of local news reporting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

It seems that DDP pick football player Jack Mansell already died in 2016:

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2016/march/jack-mansell-1927--2016/

Picked twice this year.

This is a very odd one. His death wasn't exactly underreported in March 2016. He featured on the Deaths in March 2016 section on Wiki at the time and his page was instantly (and heavily) updated.

God knows why they picked him! Confusion over a similarly named player? Maybe @Octopus of Odstock can shed some light?

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

This is a very odd one. His death wasn't exactly underreported in March 2016. He featured on the Deaths in March 2016 section on Wiki at the time and his page was instantly (and heavily) updated.

God knows why they picked him! Confusion over a similarly named player? Maybe @Octopus of Odstock can shed some light?

The teams who pick him are both theme teams who entered the same team (with dead picks replaced) each year. They both picked him in 2016 and it wasn't picked up, which means... is the DDP hits record actually one higher than previously thought?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The teams who pick him are both theme teams who entered the same team (with dead picks replaced) each year. They both picked him in 2016 and it wasn't picked up, which means... is the DDP hits record actually one higher than previously thought?

Unless you are prepared to re-open the scores, add in the missed pick and recalculate everybody's position after 4 years, I'd say no. If Joe Bloggs dies on 30 December but the Qobit appears on 10 January, the DDP ain't going to re-open and change, so definitely not after 4 years.

• Like 1

afaik he didn't actually get a QO at the time.

• Like 1

PS My own view is that if you play some quasi-obscure pick and don't even check to see if they died off radar of the host, its your own points. Or lack of.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Did he receive a QO? I couldn't find it, in the 3 minutes I checked.

@ edit: Ooops, msc didn't see it either.

I'm sure I posted about Mansell here at the time as an ex-Reading boss. 

Sorry, I'm not on the DDP, otherwise I would have noticed this months ago. 

EDIT - I didn't, but a cursory look at footballer sites would have soon confirmed his passing. Its certainly not under the radar as Rotherham and Reading both reported it at the time. 

Wasn't there some kind of discussion recently about Olympic swimmer at the 1936 Olympic Games Suse Heinze?

Well, Wikipedia has her dead since 2018 and this article gives some more details about this:

https://olympstats.com/2020/03/

It's probably true. Another wasted DDP pick, but this time REALLY off the radar.

• Like 1