Spade_Cooley

Dying Off The Radar

it appears 2020 DDP pick (and 2021 disallowed pick) Nikki Jenkins died at some point just before April 2nd, 2021.  (She's the one with the 'up' hairdo in the link below.) She was a UK fitness model and bodybuilder, and the Facebook account is a British gym. In December 2019, Jenkins was given 12 months to live. She seems to have exceeded that by a few months, but passed without any of the media outlets that first reported her circumstances following up.

https://www.facebook.com/1520336141523408/posts/very-sad-to-hear-nikki-jenkins-has-sadly-passed-away-for-those-of-you-who-didnt-/3082891151934558/

• Like 1

Weird that one went unreported. Best known to me as one of the two pundits from Key and Peele's College Bowl sketch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gisooo said:

French discuss thrower Paulette Veste (Wiki) passed away in 2014, no living

https://deces.matchid.io/id/lqEPkW9bwzBy

The birth dates do not match.

@Canadian Paul seems to think this is mistaken identity and that she is still alive. Supposedly she was interviewed for her 90th birthday in 2018.

See this 2020 article.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I reverted that edit the other day that claimed she died in 2014. Apparently it's still active on Wikidata and the French Wikipedia, but, yeah, it's someone else.

Here's the Olympian:

NAME: Paulette Gibbens Sr
BORN: Feb 1928
LIVES IN: Chipley, FL

Per voteref.com, she was an active voter as of December 2021 and voted in the 2020 election, so seems safe to assume she is still around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

German racing driver Günther Seiffert (wiki) apparently died on the 11th November 2020 according to this: https://www.f1forgottendrivers.com/drivers/gunther-seiffert/

I lack the time and knowledge to investigate this properly, if true his wiki needs to be updated. Scavenger hunt research find!

@Octopus of Odstock might be able to find out more about this.

28 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

German racing driver Günther Seiffert (wiki) apparently died on the 11th November 2020 according to this: https://www.f1forgottendrivers.com/drivers/gunther-seiffert/

I lack the time and knowledge to investigate this properly, if true his wiki needs to be updated. Scavenger hunt research find!

Appears to be true. A Formula 1 researcher unearthed it whilst trying to make contact with him this year. See this Facebook post.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Appears to be true. A Formula 1 researcher unearthed it whilst trying to make contact with him this year. See this Facebook post.

He's not a researcher. There's no proof at all. Im aware of the claim but I've already removed an edit on Wikipedia.

Seiffert has been listed as deceased a number of times without evidence to back it up... and there's no death notice anywhere. The Germans are normally pretty good with that.

Until there's better evidence, he's alive 

26 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

He's not a researcher. There's no proof at all. Im aware of the claim but I've already removed an edit on Wikipedia.

Seiffert has been listed as deceased a number of times without evidence to back it up... and there's no death notice anywhere. The Germans are normally pretty good with that.

Until there's better evidence, he's alive 

Going to disagree with you there. Anyone can be a “researcher”, but the source from that group is someone who works in that industry.

As far as Wiki is concerned ”There’s no dearth notice anywhere. The Germans are normally pretty good with that” isn’t good enough to remove a DOD when a reliable source exists saying otherwise. I’ve been editing on there for 16 years. I can’t count how many times German subjects have died without an obituary notice. Just like in the UK… military officers and MPs tend to get a death notice 75-90% of the time BUT not always, especially when they’re at the more obscure end of the spectrum.

EDIT: I will also add that no death info was added to his Wiki page BEFORE that FB post in January, meaning that the person on FB clearly didn't just copy it from an unsourced edit to Wiki. He claims it's first hand knowledge, and unless he's lying it appears to be the case.

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Going to disagree with you there. Anyone can be a “researcher”, but the source from that group is someone who works in that industry.

As far as Wiki is concerned ”There’s no dearth notice anywhere. The Germans are normally pretty good with that” isn’t good enough to remove a DOD when a reliable source exists saying otherwise. I’ve been editing on there for 16 years. I can’t count how many times German subjects have died without an obituary notice. Just like in the UK… military officers and MPs tend to get a death notice 75-90% of the time BUT not always, especially when they’re at the more obscure end of the spectrum.

EDIT: I will also add that no death info was added to his Wiki page BEFORE that FB post in January, meaning that the person on FB clearly didn't just copy it from an unsourced edit to Wiki. He claims it's first hand knowledge, and unless he's lying it appears to be the case.

Plus, forgoing death notices/obituaries is starting to become more common nowadays.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Anton Sukup does not work in the industry. He's just a normal fan who runs a FB page. The guy who came up with the dates is a different matter, but not all his credentials check out .

I DO work in the historic motor racing industry and not one noted researcher into old Grand Prix drivers have adopted these dates.... yet.

Copies of letters or correspondence or anything to use as some kind of proof have not materialised when asked.

By all means put it on Wiki and count it for Scavenger Hunt but the belief is Seiffert is probably still alive.

You know me, I hate having loads of old footballers as alive when I know they're not, but there needs to be "something". At the moment, it's missing. What we really need is some kind of German death index.

For what it's worth, this is the most credible death report of Seifert I've seen (Note the spelling of his name has changed a few times) but we're not wholly convinced. For example, Old Racing Cars, listed as a source on Wikipedia, hasn't adopted the dates. Nor Stats F1 and they're normally VERY quick, nor FORIX, nor Motorsport Magazine. I think we just need that scrap of extra info.

I'll be interested to see who updates their websites as a result of Wiki going for Sukup as a credible source.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/opinion/letters-august-9-2016-1212828

After a bit of research  I have found out that Liverpool born romantic novelist  Audrey Howard appears to have died off the radar in 2016 according to a letter of tribute written into  a Lancashire newspaper.  (Half way down the linked page)  Although Wikipedia  still lists her as alive.

She was quite popular with readers of my nans generation. 

• Like 5

On 13/12/2022 at 19:22, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/opinion/letters-august-9-2016-1212828

After a bit of research  I have found out that Liverpool born romantic novelist  Audrey Howard appears to have died off the radar in 2016 according to a letter of tribute written into  a Lancashire newspaper.  (Half way down the linked page)  Although Wikipedia  still lists her as alive.

She was quite popular with readers of my nans generation. 

Excellent spot Goose.

Similarly I'd like to know if the following are alive if anyone has a sharper eye than me. A few we've covered on here before now. A few are new names:

Sylvia Thorpe (wiki), 96, British romance novelist
Margaret Storey (wiki), 96, British children's writer
Kate Sedley (wiki), 96, British historical novelist
Bernard Long (wiki), 96, British book illustrator and comic artist
Rosie Harris (wiki), 97, British romance novelist (alive in 2015)
Nancy Buckingham (wiki), 98, British gothic and romance novelist
Eric von Gotha (wiki), 98, British illustrator and comic artist
Margaret Crosland (wiki), 102, British biographer and translator

British historical romance novelist Bill Spence (wiki, aka Jessica Blair), 98, I imagine is most certainly still with us as he was covered in the media as recently as 2020.

British romance novelist Katharine Gordon (wiki) would be 107 now so I imagine long dead, but she travelled and lived across the world throughout her life so uncovering a record of death would prove difficult.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Don't have a silver bullet on Von Gotha, but he's often referred to by his real name, Robin Ray. He drew the poster for Barbarella and seems to have some actual fame in the world of comics, this Facebook thread from last year contains lots of glowing appraisals of the man, and someone says "Robin is a real gent" - present tense. Not a silver bullet like I said, but I'd definitely put him in the probables not possibles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Excellent spot Goose.

Similarly I'd like to know if the following are alive if anyone has a sharper eye than me. A few we've covered on here before now. A few are new names:

British historical romance novelist Bill Spence (wiki, aka Jessica Blair), 98, I imagine is most certainly still with us as he was covered in the media as recently as 2020.

British romance novelist Katharine Gordon (wiki) would be 107 now so I imagine long dead, but she travelled and lived across the world throughout her life so uncovering a record of death would prove difficult.

Goodness  me  I have just checked and Wikipedia are quick it has now been changed! I'm impressed! But her approximate age at death is still listed as if Audrey is still alive  ie 92 or 93 whereas it should say died aged 86/87.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Excellent spot Goose.

Done a little more research on a few of these:

As per 192 People, Sylvia Thorpe was still alive in 2022.

Storey is elusive, can't find much. Bernard Long was last confirmed alive in 1992(!), virtually nothing is known about him and a lot of ppl have blogged requesting information.

Kate Sedley was still alive in 2021 as per Facebook.

Margaret Crosland is dead. Unearthed here in a 2022 article. Their source was a (not so reliable) Ancestry family tree. However, if you user her full name you can see Margaret McQueen Crosland married Max Denis in 1950. She appears in the GRO Index as a Q/3 2017 death as "Margaret McQueen Denis b. 1920". If you then search the Probate register, you find her full date of death: 3 July 2017, registered in Brighton. So she never became a centenarian but did live to 97!

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Goodness  me  I have just checked and Wikipedia are quick it has now been changed! I'm impressed!

Esteemed Wiki editor Jkaharper, reveal yourself! I know you’re lurking! ;)  

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Esteemed Wiki editor Jkaharper, reveal yourself! I know you’re lurking! ;)  

That's young Ulitzer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

That's young Ulitzer.

Oh nice! 
I imagine quite a few of us here are Wikipedians. I’m on there as humbledaisy incidentally. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Done a little more research on a few of these:

As per 192 People, Sylvia Thorpe was still alive in 2022.

Storey is elusive, can't find much. Bernard Long was last confirmed alive in 1992(!), virtually nothing is known about him and a lot of ppl have blogged requesting information.

Kate Sedley was still alive in 2021 as per Facebook.

Margaret Crosland is dead. Unearthed here in a 2022 article. Their source was a (not so reliable) Ancestry family tree. However, if you user her full name you can see Margaret McQueen Crosland married Max Denis in 1950. She appears in the GRO Index as a Q/3 2017 death as "Margaret McQueen Denis b. 1920". If you then search the Probate register, you find her full date of death: 3 July 2017, registered in Brighton. So she never became a centenarian but did live to 97!

What about Nancy and Rosie?

25 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

What about Nancy and Rosie?

Nancy Buckingham appears on the electoral register up until 2016. She's not in the GRO Index since then so I assume she just didn't re-register or put address as private.

Rosie Harris last updated her website in 2018. I believe she's still alive also.

Discovered from an off-hand reference in Mark Kermode's review of Clerks 3 that the film critic Bob McCabe is "dearly missed". Checked and he died last year, without any reference in any of the numerous places he wrote for. Indeed, outside of that JustGiving page, which doesn't mention his name at all, there's nothing out there - odd for a man who wrote for Empire for something like 30 years, as well as Sight & Sound and The Times and also edited the official Monty Python history.

25 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Discovered from an off-hand reference in Mark Kermode's review of Clerks 3 that the film critic Bob McCabe is "dearly missed". Checked and he died last year, without any reference in any of the numerous places he wrote for. Indeed, outside of that JustGiving page, which doesn't mention his name at all, there's nothing out there - odd for a man who wrote for Empire for something like 30 years, as well as Sight & Sound and The Times and also edited the official Monty Python history.

Why God? WHY couldn't you have taken dull, droll Trotsky Mark Kermode instead?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1