LB93

Kobe Bryant

12 minutes ago, msc said:

Aye, but if, say David Beckham or someone like that had a Death by Helicopter we'd probably see a similar reaction in the UK. And I can imagine pretty much wall to wall coverage for days when Gazza's liver gives up.

Both has beens. I disagree with your sentiment though. I can’t think of any sports star in the UK at current who is idolised on remotely the same level as some of the big American names.

14 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Both has beens. I disagree with your sentiment though. I can’t think of any sports star in the UK at current who is idolised on remotely the same level as some of the big American names.

What does that have to do with it?  Beckham and Gazza are both still very newsworthy, and the fact they have retired from playing doesn't erase their achievements.  I gather Kobe Bryant had also retired.

31 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am not really supportive of starting threads for people who have just died. Yes it is worth noting but in an appropriate thread already. The threads should be there for those people we are watching.

If there is a convincing conspiracy theory around this then I withdraw my objection

Trying to think who else has had threads after death. Gary Speed, Avicii, David Gest... is that it? The first two were worthy in terms of "fuck, really?" out of nowhere-ness. The third... maybe not as much.

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Trying to think who else has had threads after death. Gary Speed, Avicii, David Gest... is that it? The first two were worthy in terms of "fuck, really?" out of nowhere-ness. The third... maybe not as much.

I think Robin Williams too iirc

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Alan Rickman.

But the common thing here is shock death, liked by a fair number of the forum, I guess, and generate shitloads of chatter. Even if vast chunks of it is "who are ya?".

Wogan too.

Basically the answer is 2016 by the looks of it...

31 minutes ago, Toast said:

What does that have to do with it?  Beckham and Gazza are both still very newsworthy, and the fact they have retired from playing doesn't erase their achievements.  I gather Kobe Bryant had also retired.

Gazza will have been a long time coming mind, the general reaction would likely be “so he finally did it” or “thought he was already dead!” Suspect many UK agencies already have draft obit packages ready to roll in the event...

I don't know much about basketball, but I thought he was behind Jordan, Shaq, LeBron James, Wade and maybe some others. Clearly he did well at business after retiring. Possibly Beckham, Botham, Jimmy White, David Lloyd, Kriss Akabusi or Bill Beaumont could be our equivalents.

35 minutes ago, JR976evil said:

Gazza will have been a long time coming mind, the general reaction would likely be “so he finally did it” or “thought he was already dead!” Suspect many UK agencies already have draft obit packages ready to roll in the event...

That's true, but if he died in an accident it would still be a shock death.  The fact that he's a "has-been" wouldn't make a difference, and that was the point I was making.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

That's true, but if he died in an accident it would still be a shock death.  The fact that he's a "has-been" wouldn't make a difference, and that was the point I was making.

Depends what type of accident - something not linked to his alcoholism would be more shocking than if he fell over drunk and died from that.

30 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Depends what type of accident - something not linked to his alcoholism would be more shocking than if he fell over drunk and died from that.

Yes, I was going to write "helicopter crash" but in the end settled for "accident" as it covers plane crashes, car crashes, train crashes etc  which is the sort of thing I mean.

19 hours ago, Cant Wait said:

Then what caused him to crash into the side of a fucking bloody mountain. You blind stupid cunt.

Maily Dail article on it says he crashed into the side of said fucking bloody mountain because he was flying too low (no shit).

There was thick fog, but the pilot was instrument rated (competent enough to fly in fog).

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

I don't know much about basketball, but I thought he was behind Jordan, Shaq, LeBron James, Wade and maybe some others. Clearly he did well at business after retiring. Possibly Beckham, Botham, Jimmy White, David Lloyd, Kriss Akabusi or Bill Beaumont could be our equivalents.

He was really only behind Jordan and lebron 

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Edward Bunker

Baroness Blatch

Frank Searle

Little Milton Campbell

Myron Floren

Gaylord Nelson

Barney Martin

John Vernon

John Hewer

Alfredo Reinardo

Sally Clark

Milton Obote

Vassar Clements

Professor John Tomlinson

David Lange

John Garang

Lord Mark Carlisle

Wim Duisenberg

George Wallace

General William Westmoreland

Lucio Espana

Eduard Palosi

Betsy Cronkite

Tommy Vance

Rick James

:evil2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Maily Dail article on it says he crashed into the side of said fucking bloody mountain because he was flying too low (no shit).

There was thick fog, but the pilot was instrument rated (competent enough to fly in fog).

Maily Dail? You mean Daily Mail, next time reread your sentences before posting.

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Cant Wait said:

Maily Dail? You mean Daily Mail, next time reread your sentence’s before posting.

Sentence's? You mean sentences, next time reread your sentences before posting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Sentence's? You mean sentences, next time reread your sentences before posting.

Ok. You could’ve just told me why you call this news site Maily Dail instead of Daily Mail. Also and thank you very much for the grammar check.

11 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

I hadn't.  So as far as I'm concerned,  he isn't a major death. I'd be curious to know how many people in the UK had heard of him. 

Can you not differentiate between whether they’re a big death to you and a big death in general?

7 hours ago, Toast said:

I agree, but not so sure about Terry Jones who was the other name mentioned.

There’s a HUGE difference here. Terry Jones *may* be a more well-known name with the older generation. However, if you were to ask someone from let’s say Tokyo or Barcelona, they’ll have absolutely no fucking clue who you’re talking about. Kobe was a worldwide talent and name. Hell, he’s known simply by his first name. 

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am not really supportive of starting threads for people who have just died. Yes it is worth noting but in an appropriate thread already. The threads should be there for those people we are watching.

If there is a convincing conspiracy theory around this then I withdraw my objection

What exactly would you want? 10 pages dedicated to a single person in the basketball thread? Does 1 more thread on the site affect you in any sort of way? Do you have any reason to actually object to this?

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Can you even name any UK athlete as dominant, talented and recognized as some of the big names in the US?

3 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Beckham is the only Brit I can even think of who’s death under the same circumstances would have the same reaction and reach. 

Ko be or not ko be... not! Did Trump push a wrong button?

Toast is right, I should fuck off. I will

19 minutes ago, Banana said:

Can you not differentiate between whether they’re a big death to you and a big death in general?

There’s a HUGE difference here. Terry Jones *may* be a more well-known name with the older generation. However, if you were to ask someone from let’s say Tokyo or Barcelona, they’ll have absolutely no fucking clue who you’re talking about. Kobe was a worldwide talent and name. Hell, he’s known simply by his first name. 

What exactly would you want? 10 pages dedicated to a single person in the basketball thread? Does 1 more thread on the site affect you in any sort of way? Do you have any reason to actually object to this?

Can you even name any UK athlete as dominant, talented and recognized as some of the big names in the US?

Beckham is the only Brit I can even think of who’s death under the same circumstances would have the same reaction and reach. 

Opinions_a209f7_5273413.thumb.png.29c387da4fb17f6b7fcf319852cf7628.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cant Wait said:

Ok. You could’ve just told me why you call this news site Maily Dail instead of Daily Mail. Also and thank you very much for the grammar check.

Sorry for failing to run my utterances past your royal highness.

Numpty.

5 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Reaction to his death in the U.S. is absolutely hysterical. 

Americans idolise sporting stars and actors like they’re demi gods.

Not only that. But people where I'm from, where basketball is literally the least broadcasted sports from America (NFL, NHL etc.), people are losing their mind. I doubt anyone knew what team he played for, what position and what he accomplished. 

To be fair, I only know him due to my students using the term "Kobe" when tossing something succesfully. But other than that, nah. I feel just as sorry for the other victims. But the amount of tribute and whoring for likes over his death is hopelessly ridiculous considered it's coming from people that don't give 5 shits about basket. But each to their own, I guess. The hysterical reaction to Michael Jackson was a bit more understandable though it was a different time. But, I'm already tired of this.

• Like 1

Is this the right place to say that Basketball is about as exciting as netball played by mice?

No?

Well who gives a fuck!

• Like 1