GMsohum

First human to attain age of 150 yrs already born?

Is it possible for anyone alive to make it to 150 ? You can post here names of some celebrities who have chance. 

Scientists say that such a person has already been born. It could be you, me or anyone in our neighborhood

Yeah, he's called Dilip Kumar. Should know him well.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, GMsohum said:

Is it possible for anyone alive to make it to 150 ? You can post here names of some celebrities who have chance. 

Come back in 150 years and I'll tell you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Come back in 150 years and I'll tell you. 

That implies both of us will be alive after 150 years. That's unlikely because I am already 25 years old 

We all know de havilland will live that long

Its possible that the first human to reach biological immortality has already been born. That's essentially what this is since an age of 150 isnt possible without genetic alterations.

This guy is determined to reach 200 years old. Since this guy is in his 40's and I am in my 20's, I almost certainly wont live long enough to see if he succeeds or not.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/9991847/tech-guru-live-200-years-old-immortality-science/

Imagine living for another hundred or so years, I'd rather just kill myself now

25 minutes ago, John Key said:

Imagine living for another hundred or so years, I'd rather just kill myself now

I for one would love to be here 100 years from now and have tickets to the Rolling Stones Farewell Tour

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I feel deeply sceptical about such forecasts. Everything in the human body wears out over time, right down to the DNA. And pretty much the only cells that aren't programmed to die are cancer cells.  Can we increase life expectancy, and more importantly healthy life expectancy? Certainly. But there is a limit. The oldest person in history (with a verified age) died 23 years ago at the age of 122; and the upper limit of how long we can live does not seem to be stretching any further than that at present. EDIT: For instance, the oldest person alive today is just 117, so we won't be seeing any new records for at least 5 years; and without wishing to cast any aspersions on the redoubtable Ms Tanaka, probably not then. And if she doesn't make it, it'll be at least another 2 years before anyone else gets a shot https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_verified_oldest_people

If you are young now you have hopes of making it to 130 atleast. Medical science is advancing very rapidly. Probably faster than technological advancements. If all diseases become curable and ageing slowed down, we could see many people reach age of 150 by the year 2150.

1 hour ago, GMsohum said:

If you are young now you have hopes of making it to 130 atleast. Medical science is advancing very rapidly. Probably faster than technological advancements. If all diseases become curable and ageing slowed down, we could see many people reach age of 150 by the year 2150.

Tbh I wouldn't want to mark time by being a transfused barely alive corpse when I'm 100+

Keanu Reeves - he is an immortal.

On 29/01/2020 at 07:33, GMsohum said:

A bold claim, but as we likely won't be around to see the year 2150, not a testable one. Also, have you noticed that life expectancy increases have slowed significantly or, in some cases, reversed in rich countries recently?

• Like 1

I reckon a 150 year old would be completely braindead. The hardest thing to rejuvenate, or to slow down the aging process, is the brain.

19 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

I reckon a 150 year old would be completely braindead.

Some 25 year olds are, too.

If people who were frozen by cryogenics have somehow been able to be revived successfully in the future then technically you could have 150 year olds wandering about.

Isn't it now widely accepted the the oldest "verified" person was a complete fake and was being impersonated by her own daughter all along? 

Jeanne Calment - who it was meant to be, but her daughter pretended to be her after she died (while faking her own death) for financial reasons? And research has unearthed fairly clear evidence it was all a hoax?

• Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, Man About The Forum said:

Isn't it now widely accepted the the oldest "verified" person was a complete fake and was being impersonated by her own daughter all along? 

Jeanne Calment - who it was meant to be, but her daughter pretended to be her after she died (while faking her own death) for financial reasons? And research has unearthed fairly clear evidence it was all a hoax?

That is not nearly widely accepted. Her age is verified by the GWR and the GRG.

There is only a russian conspiracy theory without any piece of evidence.

• Thanks 4

Living to 150 would be a disaster.

I don’t have children so clearly I’ve shown a total disregard for the environment simply because I don’t give a fuck about your kids or grandkids. If I lived to 150 I’d have to live in whatever ecological disaster I’d helped to create and I didn’t sign up for that!

• Like 3

On 29/01/2020 at 07:33, GMsohum said:

This is an  unsubstantiated claim,basically hype.It also ignores the concept of a natural plateau. 

One does not need to be a luddite to be sceptical of such grand scientific claims.Infact I think most scientists even in the medical research field would be the most sceptical and critical of these kind of claims about huge future longevity.

• Like 1

On 28/01/2020 at 15:08, GMsohum said:

Scientists say that such a person has already been born. It could be you, me or anyone in our neighborhood

A handful of fringe scientists say this NOT scientists in general. Most scientists in the area of medical research do not go along with these bold claims which are frankly unscientific. Ie bullshit. 

• Like 1

Right now (and being succinct) the evidence is basically: humans can live to their 80s with good health and good luck, to their 90s with incredibly good health and good luck, and some make it past their 100s with incredibly good health AND incredibly good luck!

That Calment remains such an outlier sort of suggests 125 isn't forseeable, let alone 150...

Not that I'm not rooting for Kane Tanaka to break all the records.

• Like 2

On 31/01/2020 at 22:24, Man About The Forum said:

It would've been impossible to assume someone's identity with such a significant age gap. Calment's landlord and close friends for example would've been able to tell.