paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Make of this what you will.  200 to 400 dying a day in Wuhan .EQSIsZGXkAc109R.thumb.jpeg.3d182294e86c1e76e05617f0738bf81a.jpeg

• Like 1

The current data from Johns Hopkins:

37,549 confirmed cases worldwide

813 deaths (now more than SARS, with the outbreak still well underway)

2,723 recovered.

With regards to whether the true figures are significantly higher and being covered up... I'm certain that cover-ups happen, but I'm also certain that a ton of the conspiracy theorist stuff out there is thoroughly fake. For now, the official data is the only data we have.

I'd predict it's 2 or 3 days now before the death toll moves into the next poll category. I don't think that those who went for the first two categories were being unrealistic, incidentally; just that they were banking on a much more contained outbreak than we've seen, or maybe sticking to the precedent seen with SARS.

20 hours ago, msc said:

SARS was 774 for those keeping score at home.

Then it's a big jump to 2035 confirmed deaths from swine flu.

'Confirmed' causes a lot off issues though. 

Swine Flu is estimated have killed anywhere up to half a million people (like seasonal flu).

• Like 1

What may tell us more, down the line, will be analyses of the overall increase in mortality in Hubei province. That would cover both the direct effect of the virus and any indirect effect from health and care systems struggling in the context of sick staff, general overburdening demand, and barriers to treating patients effectively posed by the quarantine. 

'officially'

Coronavirus update: -

42,729 confirmed cases worldwide -

23,589 suspected cases -

1,013 fatalities -

7,463 in serious/critical condition

Unofficial numbers range from 28000 to 50000+ dead and 154k to 1.5m infected.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Unofficial numbers range from 28000 to 50000+ dead and 154k to 1.5m infected.

Source???

The officials in charge have been sacked so that must mean that the outbreak has been fixed :facepalm:

• Like 3

60,016 cases worldwide - 

16,067 suspected cases -

1,355 fatalities -

8,070 in serious/critical condition

Shit starting to hit the fan?

242 dead in one day 

Nearly 15k cases.

• Like 1

Its mostly the very young and very old who are the least immune. Plus theres a quarantine around Milton Keynes right next to where I live, which sucks.

1 hour ago, Kenny McCormick said:

theres a quarantine around Milton Keynes

Nah, that's just on general principle...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny McCormick said:

Its mostly the very young and very old who are the least immune. Plus theres a quarantine around Milton Keynes right next to where I live, which sucks.

Omg they killed Milton Keynes... 

giphy (1).gif

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, the_engineer said:

60,016 cases worldwide - 

16,067 suspected cases -

1,355 fatalities -

8,070 in serious/critical condition

Shit starting to hit the fan?

242 dead in one day 

Nearly 15k cases.

Comparison from what was said on February 5th:

24,516 confirmed cases worldwide, 493 confirmed deaths.

Well shit.

• Like 1

Confirmed deaths have now passed thd 1,500 mark (1,526, 95% of them in Hubei province).

Confirmed cases 67,090

Recovered cases 8,399

A study of the first 8,000 or so cases suggests that male patients have a significantly higher case fatality rate than female, incidentally (4.45% vs 1.25%); no real data yet on how much this is due to different smoking rates (50% in men in china vs 2% in women) vs other health behaviour differences vs biological differences https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.10.20021675v1

• Like 2

I think worst case scenario this kills half a million best case scenario around 50000. If the reporting is true . Everyone thinks china is downplaying the numbers, outside of china look at Singapore and Japan will it take off there?

Everyone thinks Indonesia should have cases by now too , could be silently growing there.

3 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

I think worst case scenario this kills half a million best case scenario around 50000. If the reporting is true . Everyone thinks china is downplaying the numbers, outside of china look at Singapore and Japan will it take off there?

Everyone thinks Indonesia should have cases by now too , could be silently growing there.

You can  add France to that list now.

France's numbers will be a lot more accurate an the asian ones, can find out how serious it is now.

12 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8005931/British-scientist-leading-coronavirus-fight-says-forecasts-400-000-UK-deaths.html

Well some in the scientific community are saying that around 400,000 deaths in the UK alone  as a result of coronavirus is not unrealistic. 

• Shocked 2

Chinese engineer Duan Zhengcheng become another likely victim of Coronavirus (though article only cites "an illness").

4 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8005931/British-scientist-leading-coronavirus-fight-says-forecasts-400-000-UK-deaths.html

Well some in the scientific community are saying that around 400,000 deaths in the UK alone  as a result of coronavirus is not unrealistic. 

I'm already a bit of a survivalist (some may call me a crazy person) so me ,my wife and kids could last 6 months off the grid . Though 3 of those months would be without electric depends on how often it's used and whether my wife could cook over an open fire, she's from a village and grew up with her mum cooking over open fire so she has experience.

I have a portable generator and my wife grows 3 types of vegetables. Clean water is the tough one. Have enough bottled water for 2 weeks but after that, it's water purification tablets mixed with cooked rainwater. Might buy a few more bottles next week. lol 

They have only just started to run out of water, electric in Wuhan so hopefully it won't get as bad around the UK . 

You won't hear that on mainstream media.

• Shocked 2

4 hours ago, the_engineer said:

I'm already a bit of a survivalist (some may call me a crazy person) so me ,my wife and kids could last 6 months off the grid . Though 3 of those months would be without electric depends on how often it's used and whether my wife could cook over an open fire, she's from a village and grew up with her mum cooking over open fire so she has experience.

I have a portable generator and my wife grows 3 types of vegetables. Clean water is the tough one. Have enough bottled water for 2 weeks but after that, it's water purification tablets mixed with cooked rainwater. Might buy a few more bottles next week. lol 

They have only just started to run out of water, electric in Wuhan so hopefully it won't get as bad around the UK . 

You won't hear that on mainstream media.

Frightening 

Wonder if the virus is going to mess up the Olympics this summer.

I know it has already messed up the Chinese GP. Tokyo should be fine but maybe the athletes from China may not be allowed in or at least they have to come in few weeks early for quarantine etc.

12 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I know it has already messed up the Chinese GP. Tokyo should be fine but maybe the athletes from China may not be allowed in or at least they have to come in few weeks early for quarantine etc.

On the basis that the disease is going global, how are you going to quarantine everybody arriving in Japan to watch the Olympics?

One UK citizen caught it and passed it on to 5 or 6 people? He caught it in Singapore.

Unless you stop all overseas travel, you cannot control it.

16 hours ago, Genfærd said:

Wonder if the virus is going to mess up the Olympics this summer.

I do hope so.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

It will either be delayed a year or just cancelled until 2024 . So Tokyo Olympics takes place in 2024 if it gets worse in Japan.