paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I would be more concerned about the people attending Crufts this week. I live near Reading and most you should be worried about are the homeless people by the train station tbh.

Here's the thing, the RBH has a pretty big catchment area.  They won't tell us whereabouts the corona patient was from.  Could be my end of the county or yours.  Not necessarily in Reading.   I dunno, Sub89 is a small venue (to quote the Stranglers when they played there "What is this, somebody's fucking front room?").  We'll see how things are in a couple of weeks.

128 cases in Norway are being reported here this morning March 7th, 2020. Taking into consideration our small population, we are almost to the top of the list, percentage-wise, at this point.  No deaths reported yet. Most got infected in Italy on their Winter Vacation last month. 

Now the figure is 136 cases - a change of 9 more cases within 4 hours from my last posting. No deaths yet.

Now the count is 147 cases. This is 10 hours since my first posting TODAY. 

156 cases now! It is almost 11 p.m. in Western Norway, still March 7th. Good night! Will update Sunday.

Edited by theoldlady
To update the number of cases.
  • Like 1

The media hype and outrage on this is ludicrous. 

Can we get back to when a cold was a cold? 

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

The media hype and outrage on this is ludicrous.

I agree, particularly the reporting of people panic buying stuff, and photos of empty shelves.   That only scares more people into panic buying!

BBC, I'm looking at you in particular.  Irresponsible.

2 hours ago, paddyfool said:

Global confirmed cases have just passed the 100,000 mark, and deaths the 3,500 mark, with over 500 deaths worldwide in the last 6 days.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Time it took to get to 1000 deaths . December 1st to February 11 = 72 days 

Time it took to get to 2000 deaths. February 11th to 18th  = 6 days 

Time it took to get to 3000 deaths. February 18th to march 2nd  = 13 days 

Currently 3491 dead 

Prediction 4000 deaths by  march 10/11 that would equal = 8/9 days 

• Thanks 1

Iran is now adding cases by more than a thousand per day.

I do wonder if Iran and Italy have a somewhat more virulent strain.

Germany has now more cases than the Diamond Princess, but no deaths. :knocks on wood: - for it to stay that way!

3 hours ago, Toast said:

I agree, particularly the reporting of people panic buying stuff, and photos of empty shelves.   That only scares more people into panic buying!

Not necessarily the Beeb. All the media seem to be stirring it up. 

If 10 million people die then it is still not going to have any significant impact on a world population that is currently at nearly eight BILLION and still growing.

However, you cannot explain that to the fuckwit seen this morning with dozens of anti bacterial wipes under her arms, waiting at the checkout.

• Like 2

...and another thing.

Tui are now knocking £300 off of the prices of their cruises.

You get a 6 week stay on the ship for the price of two.

Bargain.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:
3 hours ago, Toast said:

Not necessarily the Beeb. All the media seem to be stirring it up. 

Yes, but we expect that sort of thing from the tabloids.  The BBC should know better.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Yes, but we expect that sort of thing from the tabloids.  The BBC should know better.

The BBC hasn't known better for decades, to be fair.

When I was reading the Kenneth Williams diaries, I was quite shocked to read one of his entries, from the early 70s, where he ranted on about how the beeb were biased ( he was more to the right than the left) and, basically, shit.

Nothing new then.

• Like 2

Coronavirus: nine reasons to be reassured

More info in the article, but here are the salient points.

1. We know what it is.
  2. We can test for it.
  3. We know it can be contained (albeit at considerable cost).
  4. Catching it is not that easy (if we are careful) and we can kill it quite easily (provided we try).
  5. In most cases, symptoms are mild, and young people are at very low risk.
  6. People are recovering from it.
  7. Hundreds of scientific articles have already been written about it.
  8. Vaccine prototypes exist.
  9. Dozens of treatments are already being tested.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Current status of panic buying: My friend with IBS, gets migraines, has various food allergies (can't eat gluten and dairy) and who is 21 weeks pregnant can't buy paracetamol for the pain she is in or she can but it's triple the price.

• Angry 2
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Current status of panic buying: My friend with IBS, gets migraines, has various food allergies (can't eat gluten and dairy) and who is 21 weeks pregnant can't buy paracetamol for the pain she is in or she can but it's triple the price.

There was plenty of paracetamol when I was round the shops on Thursday.  But no ibu-pro-fen.  Guess the failed ibu-pro-fen buyers have snapped it all up.

I always have plenty of both because of the stupid restrictions that stop you buying a 100 tab bottle, which is what I used to do.  So I tend to toss a couple of packs in the basket whenever I think of it so as not to run out.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

16 paracetamol for 90p from my local sainsburys today. 

I'm already planning on bringing a suitcase next month LOADED with mini size hand sanitisers and sell them to crazies on the street corner in Inverness:
SirC, a chair, a TV tray. 
Pay for my friggin flight! 

SC

I can now work at home as I have just had a remote desktop installed. It is actually as good as working in the office but without the 90 min commute each way with the Northern Rail/replacement performing. I could regain a big proportion of my life, get some sleep and save my work colleagues from my daily wit and repartee. A win win situation for everyone. I'm not sure that my wife would agree though.  :) I would feel a lot safer not on public transport suffering from diabetes, sarcoidosis and having had a minor stroke. Statistically I'm probably knackered anyway. I am however quite strong and suffer well, I used to be fit at one stage. 

I have started to track the spread of the on this site, it seems quite objective. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 2

SXSW music festival cancelled.  smfh
Stanford University goes to strictly online courses for the time being.
The NFL today cancelled a fan event in Florida (where fans can buy merchandise) - a crowd of a couple thousand maybe?  Are they going to cancel the (American) football season to avoid crowds lol smh some more.

Eejits.

On 07/03/2020 at 08:06, theoldlady said:

128 cases in Norway are being reported here this morning March 7th, 2020. Taking into consideration our small population, we are almost to the top of the list, percentage-wise, at this point.  No deaths reported yet. Most got infected in Italy on their Winter Vacation last month. 

Now the figure is 136 cases - a change of 9 more cases within 4 hours from my last posting. No deaths yet.

Now the count is 147 cases. This is 10 hours since my first posting TODAY. 

156 cases now! It is almost 11 p.m. in Western Norway, still March 7th. Good night! Will update Sunday.

Good Morning from Norway! March 8, 2020.

No updates yet, too early for the updated reports, so we start the Day with our closing amount yesterday: 156.

By the way, we have more than double the amount of cases than New York City, with less than half of the population they have.

At about 2 p.m. today there are only 2 new cases reported, total 158. We have been told to avoid crowds - lots of  ski sports going on here at this time.

The 7 o`clock P.M. NRK news now reports 169 cases. However the chart from Worldometers states 173.

Now at 11 p.m. There are 176 cases. Good night and will update on Monday.

Edited by theoldlady
To show updates throughout the day

1 minute ago, theoldlady said:

Good Morning from Norway!

No updates yet, too early for the updated reports, so we start the Day with our closing amount yesterday: 156.

By the way, we have more than double the amount of cases than New York City, with less than half of the population they have.

This raises a good point re the total confirmed cases per capita nationally.

Currently, the ranking is as follows:

Countries ranked by cases per 1m population: 

1 S Korea 137

2 Italy 97

3 Iran 69

4 China 56

5 Bahrain 50

6 Switzerland 31

7 Norway 29

8 Singapore 24

9 Sweden 16

10 Belgium 15

11 France 15

12 Hong Kong 14

30 UK 3

41 USA 1

Etc

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Ineviably, of course, cases in the UK and USA have featured very strongly in the British news cycle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

This raises a good point re the total confirmed cases per capita nationally.

Currently, the ranking is as follows:

Countries ranked by cases per 1m population: 

1 S Korea 137

2 Italy 97

3 Iran 69

4 China 56

5 Bahrain 50

6 Switzerland 31

7 Norway 29

8 Singapore 24

9 Sweden 16

10 Belgium 15

11 France 15

12 Hong Kong 14

30 UK 3

41 USA 1

Etc

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Ineviably, of course, cases in the UK and USA have featured very strongly in the British news cycle.

Just read though that the testing rate in the US is way below that of the UK

So confirmed cases is not the complete picture

10 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Indeed, and imho, the UK testing rate is also likely to not be high enough

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

How much is it to be tested in America if you don't have health insurance though? I imagine some people have it but can't afford to get tested.

Meanwhile update on hoarding things at supermarkets - dad just went out shopping in Tescos and the shelves are empty of whisky, lol.

Edit -  Italy has quarantined 16 million people

• Like 3