paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Good Morning from Norway!

No updates yet, too early for the updated reports, so we start the Day with our closing amount yesterday: 156.

By the way, we have more than double the amount of cases than New York City, with less than half of the population they have.

At about 2 p.m. today there are only 2 new cases reported, total 158. We have been told to avoid crowds - lots of  ski sports going on here at this time.

Up to 273 in the UK as of this morning.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Good Morning from Norway!

No updates yet, too early for the updated reports, so we start the Day with our closing amount yesterday: 156.

By the way, we have more than double the amount of cases than New York City, with less than half of the population they have.

At about 2 p.m. today there are only 2 new cases reported, total 158. We have been told to avoid crowds - lots of  ski sports going on here at this time.

From 23 to 35 in Denmark.

Football is being played in the 2 top divisions behind closed doors. Super weird. I was going to attend a huge match tomorrow in the Danish Superliga but it's behind closed doors too. Bummer as season ticket holder.

Every game for the remaining of march is behind closed doors. We had our Eurovision qualifying show last night too with no audience. So awkward. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 07/03/2020 at 14:32, gcreptile said:

Germany has now more cases than the Diamond Princess, but no deaths. :knocks on wood: - for it to stay that way!

Now the first corona death in Germany, a 60 years old man who was at vacation  in Egypt.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/coronavirus-deutschland-toter-1.4828033

900+ cases in Germany, mostly in the area of North-Rhine-Westphalia, where I do live. Hooray.

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Book said:

Now the first corona death in Germany, a 60 years old man who was at vacation  in Egypt.

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/coronavirus-deutschland-toter-1.4828033

900+ cases in Germany, mostly in the area of North-Rhine-Westphalia, where I do live. Hooray.

Scary news.

Stay safe, Book.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, paddyfool said:

This raises a good point re the total confirmed cases per capita nationally.

Currently, the ranking is as follows:

Countries ranked by cases per 1m population: 

1 S Korea 137

2 Italy 97

3 Iran 69

4 China 56

5 Bahrain 50

6 Switzerland 31

7 Norway 29

8 Singapore 24

9 Sweden 16

10 Belgium 15

11 France 15

12 Hong Kong 14

30 UK 3

41 USA 1

Etc

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Ineviably, of course, cases in the UK and USA have featured very strongly in the British news cycle.

San Marino, with a population of just 33,000, has 36 confirmed cases, which surely ought to put it top of that table. It seems that it doesn't take such small countries into account.  A similar proportion in the UK, if my maths is correct, would represent 70,000 cases. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 06/03/2020 at 06:04, Guy Incognito said:

d18dcf7018456b9295a2809ba9ff597c4968c443.jpeg

And if that don't work, try this:

A-86074-1519134732-3012.jpeg.jpg

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

San Marino, with a population of just 33,000, has 36 confirmed cases, which surely ought to put it top of that table. It seems that it doesn't take such small countries into account.  A similar proportion in the UK, if my maths is correct, would represent 70,000 cases. 

True. It looks like they didn't put up figures per million for countries with a total population of fewer than a million people - both San Marino and Iceland would have ranked highly otherwise.

On 08/03/2020 at 08:06, theoldlady said:

Good Morning from Norway! March 8, 2020.

The 7 o`clock P.M. NRK news now reports 169 cases. However the chart from Worldometers states 173.

Now at 11 p.m. There are 176 cases. Good night and will update on Monday.

Good Morning from Norway, March 9th, 2020.

We start the counting with one more case reported earlier today for a total of 177 cases. Many are put in isolation for 2-4 weeks to see if they come down with any symptoms. We live in interesting times.

224 cases by 10:15 p.m. Good night! The end is nigh.

Edited by theoldlady
Updates

A facility in London will pay £3,500 to infect you with Coronavirus for research purposes.

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

A facility in London will pay £3,500 to infect you with Coronavirus for research purposes.

A nice little earner.

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

A nice little earner.

Not bad is it? I’ve put my name down and had a little spend up already!

43709B30-DB16-4A47-A2B6-F6E632FE95AC.thumb.jpeg.93ddfbcd3b3703d419eb24fee93c2f09.jpeg

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Not bad is it? I’ve put my name down and had a little spend up already!

43709B30-DB16-4A47-A2B6-F6E632FE95AC.thumb.jpeg.93ddfbcd3b3703d419eb24fee93c2f09.jpeg

You forgot the bog rolls.

• Haha 1

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/09/coronavirus-kills-180-soldiers-north-korea-diplomats-flee-country-12370372/?ITO=squid

180 North Korean soldiers dead. Diplomats fleeing the country.

Not just a rumour this has some weight behind it as the diplomats did arrive in Russia. Chances are this story came from them.

North Korea being Inbetween two of the worst effected countries it would be miracle if they weren't infected.

• Thanks 1

All these countries are massive places though so you have to be a bit more specific even with these tiny numbers against the whole populations.

I'm hopefully going to Seville on Wednesday and Spain currently has 1073 cases and 28 deaths so per head of the population it's well up near the top of the list.

But Seville itself only has 6 recorded cases currently out of about a million people so low risk.

Carlisle where I live has 3 cases out of about 100,000 people.

So I reckon I'm safer in Seville (and a lot warmer :D).

30 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

That's because Trump told the American Medical Association to make sure their members diagnose it as something else.

• Like 1

Over the last week people have been panic buying the following:

- Whisky/other alcohol

- Hand sanitiser/soap

- Tea or coffee

- Paracetamol

- Toilet Rolls

- Pasta

- Eggs (picture from my local Sainsburys)

Anything else?

On 07/03/2020 at 13:18, the_engineer said:

Time it took to get to 1000 deaths . December 1st to February 11 = 72 days 

Time it took to get to 2000 deaths. February 11th to 18th  = 6 days 

Time it took to get to 3000 deaths. February 18th to march 2nd  = 13 days 

Currently 3491 dead 

Prediction 4000 deaths by  march 10/11 that would equal = 8/9 days 

We've just passed 4000 deaths. Only took 2 days from when we passed 3500 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/.

• Thanks 2

I have been watching The Tudors, a series which I had missed up till now.  Just watched an episode which centres on an epidemic of "sweating sickness" which is eerily reminiscent of what's going on at the moment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweating_sickness

Looking on the bright side, if 500,000 of this country's frailest souls are going to be swiftly removed from the equation, then our social care crisis is going to be resolved for the time being.  There is also going to be a massive death duties windfall, which, when combined with the plummetting cost of oil and borrowing, will probably prove an attractive proposition to Boris Johnson and his team of advisors.  Although heaven forbid attractive enough to actually influence their policies when deciding how to tackle this calamity.

55 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

We've just passed 4000 deaths. Only took 2 days from when we passed 3500 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/.

Bloody hell so it took a week to go from 3000 to 4000. Let's be real here Iran are 100% lying about their numbers too . 

I'll make another prediction 

4000 march 9th - 5000 by march 16th 

1 hour ago, the_engineer said:

Bloody hell so it took a week to go from 3000 to 4000. Let's be real here Iran are 100% lying about their numbers too . 

I'll make another prediction 

4000 march 9th - 5000 by march 16th 

Think we'll hit the 5000 by friday honestly.

4 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Looking on the bright side, if 500,000 of this country's frailest souls are going to be swiftly removed from the equation, then our social care crisis is going to be resolved for the time being.  There is also going to be a massive death duties windfall, which, when combined with the plummetting cost of oil and borrowing, will probably prove an attractive proposition to Boris Johnson and his team of advisors.  Although heaven forbid attractive enough to actually influence their policies when deciding how to tackle this calamity.

Murphy's razor may apply here though... best not to assume maleficience when simple incompetence will explain matters.

Although the view that this will simply kill some of the old and the frail may well have led a lot of people, politicians included, into complacence.