paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Ok, you don't rate the governments actions so far.

So what would YOU do to minimise the impact of this virus?

Don't rattle out every other nations game plans, have a think and tell us what you would do.

We can all be critical, with some justification at times, but this is new territory for a new generation.

I also need to clarify my position. If I am confined to barracks for 2 weeks, I do not earn a fucking ha'penny.

See, all those people and businesses that will get immediate SSP and help to pay for it all, are just part of the impending issues.

There are a metric shit ton of self employed people like me out there so who the fuck is going to support me? Jimmy Tarbuck??!!!

Not wholly thought through, is it.

My plan is simple.... given the magnitude of this situation (I could also be one of those left income free during this. outbreak by the way (and it could be for up to 4 months not 2 weeks).

• Introduction of a universal basic supplement for duration of coronavirus. £350 a week or in line with your wages, whichever is lower. (Can be applied for online and replaces SSP until end of outbreak)
  • Suspended all unecessary travel including to non-essential jobs
  • Close all leisure facilities.
  • Everybody to self-quarantine for at least 12 weeks. 
  • Those who can work from home do, - if they're company is still paying full pay they get the difference between their full pay and £350 a week if they earn less
  • Mortgage freezes.
  • Rent freezes (with landlords paid from a central government fund).
  • Tax breaks for the self-employed and zero hours workers when this all blows over.
  • Tax breaks for the event industry and hospitality industry when this all blows over.
  • Tax breaks for the tourism and aviation industry when this all blows over.
  • Turns schools into hospitals.
  • Conscript retired doctors, army (non-medical ground retirees), nurses, firefghters, police and other emergency services for the during of the epidemic on double pay.
  • Commandeer all manufacturing facilitates in the country to produce necessary medical equipment.
  • Conscript all medical researchers to work on finding a vaccinne or other suitable cure until one is found. 
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Deathray said:

My plan is simple.... given the magnitude of this situation (I could also be one of those left income free during this. outbreak by the way (and it could be for up to 4 months not 2 weeks).

• Introduction of a universal basic supplement for duration of coronavirus. £350 a week or in line with your wages, whichever is lower. (Can be applied for online and replaces SSP until end of outbreak)
  • Those who can work from home do, - if they're company is still paying full pay they get the difference between their full pay and £350 a week if they earn less
  • Mortgage freezes.
  • Tax breaks for the self-employed and zero hours workers when this all blows over.
  • Tax breaks for the event industry and hospitality industry when this all blows over.
  • Conscript retired doctors, army (non-medical ground retirees), nurses, firefghters, police and other emergency services for the during of the epidemic on double pay.
  • Commandeer all manufacturing facilitates in the country to produce necessary medical equipment.
  • Conscript all medical researchers to work on finding a vaccinne or other suitable cure until one is found. 

I wouldn't worry this is all going to be over in 1 weeks time. We might just touch 7000 deaths and life and civilisation will start to return to normal 

Just now, Steve said:

I wouldn't worry this is all going to be over in 1 weeks time. We might just touch 7000 deaths and life and civilisation will start to return to normal 

Not a chance.

• Like 1

14 more uk deaths - total of 35

11 minutes ago, Deathray said:

14 more uk deaths - total of 14. 

BBC says a total of 35. 

41 minutes ago, Deathray said:

• Mortgage freezes.

Interesting thoughts, many of them exactly what we should be aiming for, but there are a few of these that simply can’t be put into place.

The ‘everybody self-quarantine’ thing, for starters. Just try enforcing it. And think of how many exceptions are needed.

Many retired NHS staff have already said pretty unanimously they won’t return, regardless of the money.

How long’s it going to take to adapt these schools into makeshift hospitals that are a high enough standard to cope with Corona patients? Great idea though, one that should’ve been actioned a while ago to be fair so it can make a genuine difference to the amount of critically ill patients we have.

I work in manufacturing. My firm does precision CNC machined parts for motorsport, aerospace, defence and commercial, but not medical; that’s an ISO certification we don’t have. The same would apply for, at the very least, 95% of other manufacturing firms, regardless of size, that aren’t strictly dedicated to the medical industry, which are flat out producing what is needed already. You may say temporarily grant all capable firms this cert, but this means necessary quality controls basically go out of the window, and erroneous medical equipment can be, if anything, worse than nothing.

It’s not feasible to throw everything a country has at keeping a pandemic at bay. It’s not the only issue we face. Everything else we had to do pre-Corona still exists and won’t go away. But I do agree that our government’s utterly nonchalant attitude towards it isn’t going to do us any favours either.

Edited by The Quim Reaper
Clarification

33 minutes ago, Deathray said:

• Mortgage freezes.

Not bad Deathers...

5 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Interesting thoughts, many of them exactly what we should be aiming for, but there are a few of these that simply can’t be put into place.

The ‘everybody self-quarantine’ thing, for starters. Just try enforcing it. And think of how many exceptions are needed.

Many retired NHS staff have already said pretty unanimously they won’t return, regardless of the money.

How long’s it going to take to adapt these schools into makeshift hospitals that are a high enough standard to cope with Corona patients?

I work in manufacturing. My firm does precision CNC machined parts for motorsport, aerospace, defence and commercial, but not medical; that’s an ISO certification we don’t have. The same would apply for, at the very least, 95% of other manufacturing firms, regardless of size, that aren’t strictly dedicated to the medical industry, which are flat out producing what is needed already. You may say temporarily grant all capable firms this cert, but this means necessary quality controls basically go out of the window, and erroneous medical equipment can be, if anything, worse than nothing.

It’s not feasible to throw everything a country has at keeping a pandemic at bay. It’s not the only issue we face. Everything else we had to do pre-Corona still exists and won’t go away. But I do agree that our government’s utterly nonchalant attitude towards it isn’t going to do us any favours either.

On NHS staff the point of conscription is removing the element of choice - jail sentences or astronomical fines for those who refuse for starters.

You might have to relax some medical standards initially, but with the right money and effort a few weeks.

Fast-track inspections for that certificate, I expect the gov will go down the grant an exemption line though. We need ventilators.

A lot of the stuff we had before corona can be made to go away, social pressures for starters by the lockdown. You don't need to wait for someone being criminal to arrest them, them being outside is arrestable. It makes the polices jobs a lot easier on that front. It is feasible to throw the kitchen sink at such an immediate and deadly problem; this surplants every other issue the country faces until it's dealt with because a pandemic of this nature threatens our way of life, 

9 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I'd start headhunting now from around the world.Must start recruiting! South America ,china , Philippines,India and Europe etc.

This is second-hand and lacking in detail, but the brother of one of my friends thinks that Covid 19 will be a lot more infectious and a lot less dangerous than is currently thought.  Don't know what he's basing that on, but he is a doctor who has worked with Médécins Sans Frontieres including going to Africa to work on Ebola when it was at its height, so his opinions carry some weight with me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Deathray said:

On NHS staff the point of conscription is removing the element of choice - jail sentences or astronomical fines for those who refuse for starters.

You might have to relax some medical standards initially, but with the right money and effort a few weeks.

Fast-track inspections for that certificate, I expect the gov will go down the grant an exemption line though. We need ventilators.

A lot of the stuff we had before corona can be made to go away, social pressures for starters by the lockdown. You don't need to wait for someone being criminal to arrest them, them being outside is arrestable. It makes the polices jobs a lot easier on that front. It is feasible to throw the kitchen sink at such an immediate and deadly problem; this surplants every other issue the country faces until it's dealt with because a pandemic of this nature threatens our way of life, 

Another thing with the retired NHS staff is that they would obviously need assessing to make sure they can still do the job to the standard needed (if they’ve not worked for a long time, could be a bit rusty?)

Inspection is key for the adaptations, both of makeshift medical facilities and engineering firms being contracted to produce vital equipment. A lot will fail, but we’ll have some more - it’s better than nothing, I suppose?

For the quarantine issue I’m mostly talking about people still working, playing vital roles; we need power. We need carers. We need provisions. We need manufacturers. We need medical professionals aside from just doctors. I’m saying quarantining is a necessary measure, but we’d need a permit system for people who need to be out, and those who are still out should be rewarded for their efforts.

A lot of these measures would work. Problem is, they should’ve started a couple of weeks ago. And I do think that, with adequate measures of containment etc (which we irrefutably don’t have at the moment), the worst of this is in the not too distant future.

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

I'd start headhunting now from around the world.Must start recruiting! South America ,china , Philippines,India and Europe etc.

80% of staff I work with are Filipino or Indian as the trust I work for get medical staff from there. Any other white staff are eastern european or English but older. They find it hard to get British nurses because grants for training have been removed in recent years.

Away from that, so I know I have some kind of job security and can get advice, I registerd with UNISON today who is the union for people working in healthcare.

3 hours ago, Steve said:

Let's have a chat later this week when we pass 8,000...

6 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

6 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

Really is not going to happen. Trust me on this. No chance I am that confident I am going to put a conclusive number of 7,462 deaths and not one more. 

So we probably pass 6.500 today. Considering we passed 6.000 only a couple of hours ago, are we now in the >1.000 deaths per day stage?

Some thoughts.... this seems bigger than those epidemics of the past 20-30 days, probably because it actually hits "first world" countries.

Now, I do wonder what the numbers will be when the virus hits the slums of Lagos, or Dhaka or whatever... but then I think, it probably already has - but it is not much different from a cold, pneumonia or the flu, and so the deaths in developing countries arent recognized as Corona deaths... Ebola, for example, is much more recognizable, with the blood in the lungs, or HIV, with yellow skin, lesions etc... So the real number of Coronavirus deaths might be significantly higher, much like the case number would be much higher if there was more testing. 

4 minutes ago, Steve said:

Really is not going to happen. Trust me on this. No chance I am that confident I am going to put a conclusive number of 7,462 deaths and not one more. 

Ahem... we're going to surpass that tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Please you and everyone just trust me on that figure of 7462 that I provided.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

And that's recognised deaths. 

1 minute ago, Steve said:

Please you and everyone just trust me on that figure of 7462 that I provided.

Unless it's UK deaths, I doubt it.

11 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

So we probably pass 6.500 today. Considering we passed 6.000 only a couple of hours ago, are we now in the >1.000 deaths per day stage?

600 deaths per day, currently. But if this keeps accelerating, it may not be long before we see 1000 deaths per day.

6492 deaths I have just seen that we are currently up too. 

I currently rent a place in a very quaint little village. Not a lot of property comes up for sale here. But given that about half of the village's population are in their late 60s upwards I can see hope for the chance to buy my own place in the near future. Every cloud etc.....

23 minutes ago, Steve said:

6492 deaths I have just seen that we are currently up too. 

Cases are still growing at a rate of knots in most affected countries, which means that's exactly what the death rate is going to do for another 3 weeks at least. How do you arrive at there only being another 1,000 deaths before this is 'over'?

42 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

I currently rent a place in a very quaint little village. Not a lot of property comes up for sale here. But given that about half of the village's population are in their late 60s upwards I can see hope for the chance to buy my own place in the near future. Every cloud etc.....

I've been wondering if some people standing to inherit from rich elderly relations might either deliberately or unconsciously be a bit casual about exposing them to potential infection.