paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Half a dozen confirmed cases at a granny farm about 20ish miles from me. :o

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

I've been wondering if some people standing to inherit from rich elderly relations might either deliberately or unconsciously be a bit casual about exposing them to potential infection.

Next Sunday will be the big one for this. Lots of elderly mothers dragged out to lunches or dinners in crowded eateries. Or getting all the relatives to visit them and give lots of infected hugs and kisses. Have a lovely Mothering Sunday. Enjoy the inheritance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems a harsh reality.

The dying cannot see their loved ones one last time. One last hug, one last kiss, one last family contact denied. Then the funerals pile up or are carried out alone.

Now Ireland are closing their pubs. That's when you know someone is taking it seriously.

• Like 3

The Irish can't drink alcohol or watch football on TV.

Now would be a good time to do a study on sport vs domestic violence and whether alcohol affects a person more or less.

New depth of depravity for Donald Drumpf: The German government has confirmed that he tried to bribe their scientists for exclusive rights to the Covid-19 vaccine they’re working on, for the US and only the US.

On 15/03/2020 at 08:58, theoldlady said:

Good morning! Today is Sunday the 15th of March 2020 in the Western part of Norway.

I have been in self-isolation since 10 a.m. last Wednesday the 11th March after I went shopping a Day before the official lock-down. I am working from home on my laptop. Husband out in the woods getting enough firewood for a few years from now. He is optimistic. Luckily he is retired and would only get exposed if I Get it. Everyone knows not to visit us. They finally understand this situation.

The cases are now 1,111, this includes 3 deaths :rip: and only 1 person has recovered. Waiting for the real update for this morning.

They have threatened to arrest all those yesterday who went up to their mountain cabins ( not enough doctors and hospitals in those areas.) ( You can see my rant yesterday about this somewhere in this thread.)

At almost 2 p.m. Norwegian time we have 1,205 cases. No New deaths reported yet. Passed Britain now in the number of cases. How? We have a population between 5-6 million people. Britain is full of people. Something not correct in Britain`s statistics. 

Ok, now at 10 p.m. Britain has passed Norway in their number of cases again. Norway now has 1249 cases, UK 1391. With 140 New cases reported so far today in Norway - many more are suspected of having this, but are not tested unless they get more serious symptoms. These figures should be taken with a grain of salt. Goodnight and keep safe! Self-isolate as much as possible.

Good morning! Today is Monday March 16th.

1256 cases earlier this morning. 2 more cases are recorded so far for today for a total now of 1258. No New deaths fortunately.  The lock-down continues! Looks like I have my home office until Easter. Take care!

At 8:30 p.m. There are now 1332 cases, no more deaths yet, however there are 11 in very intensive care right now. 76 New cases so far today. The borders will be closed tomorrow Tuesday. If you come for a visit you will be subjected to 14 days of lock-down by the border police, at the roads or at the airports/trains. NB! GB has yet to cancel their flights to Norway, so if you come, you might be turned away or put in isolation 14 days, unless you are a citizen or legal immigrant.  

Edited by theoldlady
To show updates.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Half a dozen confirmed cases at a granny farm about 20ish miles from me. :o

How many Grannies does this farm produce.

11 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

The Irish can't drink alcohol or watch football on TV.

Now would be a good time to do a study on sport vs domestic violence and whether alcohol affects a person more or less.

Yeah - because only the Irish have an issue with alcohol and violence. And alcohol, sport and violence would definitely not be a problem in England for example. 

You dumb fucking cunt. 

• Like 1

Two people from my work are now self-isolating. Neither have been tested yet. Both were last in on Saturday morning.

No one in today has any suspect symptoms but it’s a bit worrying for us all the same; both our production schedule (least of my worries) and our personal finances (not the least of my worries) would be severely hurt if we all ended up needing to do the same. Nothing confirmed or anything but it’s one of those where suddenly it all becomes quite real.

14 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Now Ireland are closing their pubs. That's when you know someone is taking it seriously.

IMG-20200315-WA0005.jpg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, theoldlady said:

1256 cases earlier this morning. 2 more cases are recorded so far for today for a total now of 1258. No New deaths fortunately. 

The lock-down continues! Looks like I have my home office until Easter. Take care!

We surpassed you here in Denmark. 4 deaths now. Expected to raise drastically in the coming week. No new cases since we don't test anymore. Country is about to shut down everything that is not a grocery store or pharmacist, and force us to stay in. 

What is this timeline.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

No new cases since we don't test anymore.

See, this is the thing.

Very very few people are being tested, so it's futile trying to work out a mortality percentage. 

It's likely that there are tens of thousands worldwide who have/had a mild version of the virus, but these are unreported.  We are only hearing about confirmed cases and deaths, so obviously the mortality rate appears higher at the moment.

• Like 2

The death toll has now passed 7,000 worldwide. Italy, the worst affected country per capita if you believe the stats from Iran, is still seeing increasing numbers of both new cases and deaths each day. Many other countries are slowly ramping up their response.

As of 16th March 2020:

• Where I work we’ve had to cancel one echo clinic (usually two are running) because one member of staff is in self quarantine.
  • According to the main hospital they cannot get any temp staff last minute for Cardiology this week
  • Patients keep calling up asking if they should go in. I say yes unless they are feeling like they have the virus
  • One patient came in wearing gloves to protect themselves
  • Nobody can get hold of head of Cardiology to ask for advice - not that anybody usually gets a response from him at the best of times

This may change tomorrow since the government has asked over 70's to not go out.

22 hours ago, Steve said:

Really is not going to happen. Trust me on this. No chance I am that confident I am going to put a conclusive number of 7,462 deaths and not one more. 

Getting close to my conclusive total so we can all start smiling again tomorrow as that will mean no more deaths 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

As of 16th March 2020:

• Where I work we’ve had to cancel one echo clinic (usually two are running) because one member of staff is in self quarantine.
  • According to the main hospital they cannot get any temp staff last minute for Cardiology this week
  • Patients keep calling up asking if they should go in. I say yes unless they are feeling like they have the virus
  • One patient came in wearing gloves to protect themselves
  • Nobody can get hold of head of Cardiology to ask for advice - not that anybody usually gets a response from him at the best of times

This may change tomorrow since the government has asked over 70's to not go out.

Over 70s, the pregnant, and those with long term health conditions... stay at home from this weekend for 3 months.

Everybody else should work from home, avoid pubs, clubs and theatres, and avoid unnecessary social contacts. 

But as yet no list of conditions. 

My friend who is pregnant can't stock up on things like baby wipes because there are none.

25 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

My friend who is pregnant can't stock up on things like baby wipes because there are none.

Tell her to use soap and water. Those wipes have potentially dangerous chemicals that a baby`s bum need not be exposed to.

A work colleague’s close relative currently in hospital with other things but been tested due to displaying symptoms, haven’t heard the outcome yet, but there has also been a death in the same hospital of someone tested positive , usual ‘underlying health conditions’ line being trotted out.  Waiting to hear whether work colleague is going to be tested as they are also feeling unwell, if so it’s likely we are all at risk having been in daily close contact with them.  When your number’s up, your number’s up!

If your interested in what these underlying health issues are then here's the definitive list. I think a lot more people than think they are are caught up in this.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

Two Categories.

Social Distancing Core Group

This group includes those who are:

• aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
  • under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
  • chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
  • chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
  • chronic kidney disease
  • chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
  • chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
  • diabetes
  • problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
  • a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
  • being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
  • those who are pregnant

GP Will Contact You (likely long term self-isolation)

• People who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
  • People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
  • People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
  • People with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
  • People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

5 hours ago, Deathray said:

Over 70s, the pregnant, and those with long term health conditions... stay at home from this weekend for 3 months.

Everybody else should work from home, avoid pubs, clubs and theatres, and avoid unnecessary social contacts. 

But as yet no list of conditions. 

I read that as over 70 and pregnant and thought well that can't be a huge demographic group regardless of advances in IVF.

Note to self: read more carefully.

corona brexit.jpg

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, theoldlady said:

1256 cases earlier this morning. 2 more cases are recorded so far for today for a total now of 1258. No New deaths fortunately.  The lock-down continues! Looks like I have my home office until Easter. Take care!
At 8:30 p.m. There are now 1332 cases, no more deaths yet, however there are 11 in very intensive care right now. 76 New cases so far today. The borders will be closed tomorrow Tuesday. If you come for a visit you will be subjected to 14 days of lock-down by the border police, at the roads or at the airports/trains. NB! GB has yet to cancel their flights to Norway, so if you come, you might be turned away or put in isolation 14 days, unless you are a citizen or legal immigrant. 

Good Morning! Today is Tuesday March 17th. To my Irish and Irish-American friends: Happy St. Patrick`s Day!

We start the Day with 1348 cases registered in Norway.

Keep safe! Self-isolate Please! In Norway the average age of person getting this is in their 40s! :huh:

At a little past 7:30 p.m. The case count is 1452,  with 104 New cases so far today (the news is still giving the old figures they had earlier today, most likely to stop panic. Most of us are at home. Lots are getting laid off - they will have to use our oil fund to pay wages. Just like in the USA, the hospital in Bergen is putting up military tents outside the hospital in order to Screen people going into the hospital. They are calling for anyone with medical/nursing experience to sign-up and start working - many health workers are sick. 

Edited by theoldlady
To show updates.

On 16/03/2020 at 02:50, gcreptile said:

So we probably pass 6.500 today. Considering we passed 6.000 only a couple of hours ago, are we now in the >1.000 deaths per day stage?

Some thoughts.... this seems bigger than those epidemics of the past 20-30 days, probably because it actually hits "first world" countries.

Now, I do wonder what the numbers will be when the virus hits the slums of Lagos, or Dhaka or whatever... but then I think, it probably already has - but it is not much different from a cold, pneumonia or the flu, and so the deaths in developing countries arent recognized as Corona deaths... Ebola, for example, is much more recognizable, with the blood in the lungs, or HIV, with yellow skin, lesions etc... So the real number of Coronavirus deaths might be significantly higher, much like the case number would be much higher if there was more testing. 

Writing from one of those slum cities, people here are in some cases panicking (or at least loads of hoax WA messages going around), but because viruses degrade quickly in tropical air or direct sunshine, the indirect transmission is much slower (there is direct transmission, but there are many other diseases here too to worry about that are worse). It's almost like "the rest of the world is panicking so we better panic too". The far far bigger problem is that the tourism/travel sector has closed down, foreign investors are withdrawing, millions will be unemployed (most people have zero savings), and civil unrest on a large scale is likely to follow. I don't really see how the government can avoid this. We have a bolthole outside the city on the side of a volcano (let's hope it doesn't wake up and join in the fun), and we can stay here for months if needed. I can work remotely (assuming my UK head office doesn't go bust). Let's see what happens!

• Like 1