paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The flight map over the UK is probably just as bad, given that we haven't closed off flights to anyone

14 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

The flight map over the UK is probably just as bad, given that we haven't closed off flights to anyone

Yup. Advising people not to travel but running flights...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

There were heavy cuts to healthcare system in recent years. Lombardy had only one ICU bed for 4900 people, more or less. Doctors have always chosen who would die and who would be cured because he had possibility of making it. It is well known that people above 80 are not cared much about in hospitals. If they recover, give credit to them only. Now in some places people over 60 are not even cured because they desperately need ICU slots for younger people.

Often, if you stick a frail person (eg the majority of octagenarians) on ventilation, you're doing so with the knowledge that you're never going to wean them off. And if you do wean them off, they'll be significantly more frail when they leave than they were on coming in (eg transitioning from being fully mobile to bedbound due to deconditioning).   There are reasons why ICU is not open to everyone, beyond simple rationing; it's simply not a pathway to good health once you're already frail.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

Often, if you stick a frail person (eg the majority of octagenarians) on ventilation, you're doing so with the knowledge that you're never going to wean them off. And if you do wean them off, they'll be significantly more frail when they leave than they were on coming in (eg transitioning from being fully mobile to bedbound due to deconditioning).   There are reasons why ICU is not open to everyone, beyond simple rationing; it's simply not a pathway to good health once you're already frail.

As much as that is true people in their 60s are not generally frail. 

shits crazy

34 minutes ago, odeon said:

shits crazy

To be fair, that's more insightful and informative than Matt Hancock could ever be.

Seems like things are finally starting to calm down and hardly many deaths around the world today, the tide is turning for the better - hallelujah!!

25 minutes ago, Steve said:

Seems like things are finally starting to calm down and hardly many deaths around the world today, the tide is turning for the better - hallelujah!!

What do you mean? 100s of dead today. Spain with a huge spike and we haven't had numbers come out of Italy yet (probably will in half an hour). Things are not turning better anytime soon, sadly. I like your thinking. I really do. But we're in the beginning of a hellish couple of months ahead us. There'll be massive deaths around Europe, the U.S. and in big countries like Iran, India etc.

Ok I'm sorry I am trying my hardest in a sad and chaotic world at the moment to remain as positive as possible 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

What do you mean? 100s of dead today. Spain with a huge spike and we haven't had numbers come out of Italy yet (probably will in half an hour). Things are not turning better anytime soon, sadly. I like your thinking. I really do. But we're in the beginning of a hellish couple of months ahead us. There'll be massive deaths around Europe, the U.S. and in big countries like Iran, India etc.

In the 2010 Haiti Earthquake, over 160,000 people died. That is a conservative estimate.

So far, depending on source, the global total of corona virus dead is under 12,000.

That is a REALITY!

Yes, we are worried, we have to be, nobody ( I assume) has been through this kind of shit before.

It looks bad because it is bad BUT it is killing a very very, tiny percentage of the worlds population.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steve said:

Ok I'm sorry I am trying my hardest in a sad and chaotic world at the moment to remain as positive as possible 

1. I'm sorry = the pubs are closed

2. sad = the pubs are closed

3. chaotic world - the pubs are closed

4. to remain = the pubs are closed

5. positive as possible = the pubs might open again

7 minutes ago, Steve said:

Don't be sorry, bud. I feel you. Let's look at the positives. Recoveries are up 3000 since yesterday! We'll deal with this, but sadly loads of folks will die. Stay positive, Steve. We need people like you.

17 minutes ago, Steve said:

Here are some genuine reasons to be positive:

- There are a number of promising treatments being trialled that could really alter the clinical picture for Covid19 patients. (We may see benefits from this in about a month or so). 

- More and more countries are now taking the right steps for prevention of transmission. (Should see benefits from this in two or three weeks).

- Many people should actually be getting health benefits right now from reduced air pollution and from reduced transmission of every single pathogen with person to person spread. (With both immediate and long term benefits). 

- In about a year or so we should have a vaccine to roll out, at which point we can really stop worrying

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

In the 2010 Haiti Earthquake, over 160,000 people died. That is a conservative estimate.

So far, depending on source, the global total of corona virus dead is under 12,000.

That is a REALITY!

Yes, we are worried, we have to be, nobody ( I assume) has been through this kind of shit before.

It looks bad because it is bad BUT it is killing a very very, tiny percentage of the worlds population.

2004 Boxing Day Tsunami took well over 200,000.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve said:

793 dead in Italy in one day. 

Yeah, seems wonderful pal. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

That is a REALITY!

The point is without the social distancing and self isolation measures it would be killing a lot more.

And this could kill well over 100,000 by the time it's done. 

• Like 1

Counting blessings since there's a run on booze in Scotland and I've been drinking since ten this morning.

I really like the fact that we're all in this together unlike the troubles America paid for. Makes a nice difference not going "where's that building / street / city gone?" fuss they made about two of theirs...

And we're all even barred from Canada like Sir Creep. Je suis SC without going to the bother of winding up border guards.

That's two. There's rakes good about this. Perspective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

The point is without the social distancing and self isolation measures it would be killing a lot more.

And this could kill well over 100,000 by the time it's done. 

Yes it could but hat would be a global tally.

The quake and the Tsunami killed those numbers from individual nations.

35 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Yes, there have been other disasters in the past of comparable or greater severity. But this is happening now, and is an increasing problem for just about all the world at once. I wouldn't want to try and guess if the final death toll is more likely to be 100,000 or 1 million, but doesn't make sense to ignore it. 

49 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

The tsunami victims were from many different countries, being a part of the world popular for holidays.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Yes but that death toll is with all the steps countries and societies are taking to mitigate.

You can only begin to imagine the number if we weren't taking those steps.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

The tsunami victims were from many different countries, being a part of the world popular for holidays.

They were Toastie, I was just referring to the loss of life from two individual natural disasters, from different parts of the world, that are still considerably more than the current global figure.

Er, if you see what I mean.:wacko:

6 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

They were Toastie, I was just referring to the loss of life from two individual natural disasters, from different parts of the world, that are still considerably more than the current global figure.

Er, if you see what I mean.:wacko:

I get your point. I do.

But there's reasons that figure for corona isn't much much more. I want this all to be over, we all want this to be over, but tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of preventable death is not the answer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Yes but that death toll is with all the steps countries and societies are taking to mitigate.

You can only begin to imagine the number if we weren't taking those steps.

I am not denying the potential for this virus to kill more than 100,000 people globally.

I am also not denying that it could end up being way more than 100,000 too.

I am just saying that we are, almost, licking our lips every time the body count goes up.

It still hasn't killed more than 1% of any individual nations citizens, as yet.

It may not end up doing it either.

We are speculating, which is dangerous really.

I am certainly more concerned about it than I was, the doctors are now saying that it is more a form of pneumonia than flu.

I am 'social distancing' from people and not putting my hands near my face, it never bothered me before but now? Yes.

We need to dampen the hysteria and the Government needs to have a national two week lock down pronto.

It would help!

• Like 1