paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Think I'll see if I can get "Don't Stand So Close To Me" as a ringtone.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I am not denying the potential for this virus to kill more than 100,000 people globally.

I am also not denying that it could end up being way more than 100,000 too.

I am just saying that we are, almost, licking our lips every time the body count goes up.

It still hasn't killed more than 1% of any individual nations citizens, as yet.

It may not end up doing it either.

We are speculating, which is dangerous really.

I am certainly more concerned about it than I was, the doctors are now saying that it is more a form of pneumonia than flu.

I am 'social distancing' from people and not putting my hands near my face, it never bothered me before but now? Yes.

We need to dampen the hysteria and the Government needs to have a national two week lock down pronto.

It would help!

I agree with you on the last part. So many people in non-essential business being told they can't work from home when all their clients have been shut down. 

Let key workers work and send everyone else home. We can worry about money (an imaginary concept when you're talking about government borrowing) later. 

Supposedly takes 3 weeks for things to seep through, so we should see the effects of the latest announcements by the 10 April. 

35 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I am just saying that we are, almost, licking our lips every time the body count goes up.

It still hasn't killed more than 1% of any individual nations citizens, as yet.

I

Well, last time I checked, this is called the deathlist.net. Yep. Still on the right website. We are a bunch of sick puppies, here, my mate. Look at your bloody name, for starters.

Back to the question. The Boxing Day 2004 tsunami killed several hundred in Africa (mostly Somalia) - why? Because they were not told to move away from cosal areas even though there were hours (more than 5) to warn people. Is your argument, that we should not have warned Africa? Even in S.E. Asia people were saved because of the knowledge, when water goes out run uphill. That saved lives. Without question. Should we not try to do the same with COVID-19?

"On Maikhao Beach in north Phuket City, Thailand, a 10-year-old British tourist named Tilly Smith had studied tsunamis in geography at school and recognised the warning signs of the receding ocean and frothing bubbles. She and her parents warned others on the beach, which was evacuated safely.[55] John Chroston, a biology teacher from Scotland, also recognised the signs at Kamala Bay north of Phuket, taking a busload of vacationers and locals to safety on higher ground."

Best Case Scenerio - 50,000 to 100,000 - Worst case - 1 to 10 million.

7 minutes ago, QuebecCityOliver said:

Well, last time I checked, this is called the deathlist.net. Yep. Still on the right website. We are a bunch of sick puppies, here, my mate. Look at your bloody name, for starters.

Back to the question. The Boxing Day 2004 tsunami killed several hundred in Africa (mostly Somalia) - why? Because they were not told to move away from cosal areas even though there were hours (more than 5) to warn people. Is your argument, that we should not have warned Africa? Even in S.E. Asia people were saved because of the knowledge, when water goes out run uphill. That saved lives. Without question. Should we not try to do the same with COVID-19?

"On Maikhao Beach in north Phuket City, Thailand, a 10-year-old British tourist named Tilly Smith had studied tsunamis in geography at school and recognised the warning signs of the receding ocean and frothing bubbles. She and her parents warned others on the beach, which was evacuated safely.[55] John Chroston, a biology teacher from Scotland, also recognised the signs at Kamala Bay north of Phuket, taking a busload of vacationers and locals to safety on higher ground."

Those words of yours nails to the floor the idea that you really don't know how this place works and don't know the people who regularly frequent it.

Give it time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Those words of yours nails to the floor the idea that you really don't know how this place works and don't know the people who regularly frequent it.

Give it time.

I don't want it, thanks.

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, QuebecCityOliver said:

I don't remember writing You're Going Down.....

On 21/03/2020 at 07:38, theoldlady said:

Good Morning! Today is Saturday, March 21st.

There are 11,417 deaths worldwide, not counting the deaths China is hiding.

The numbers in Norway have not really been updated yet at 7:30 a.m.: 1965 cases, 7 dead. :rip:
11th Day of working from home for me. Sunny and cool in Southern Norway.

Good Morning! Today is Sunday, March 22nd.

There are now 13,069 deaths worldwide, not counting the deaths China is hiding.

The numbers from the end of the day yesterday in Norway are: still only 7 deaths :rip:, 2167 cases

1,000 New cases in one day! 

12th Day of working from home for me. 

• Like 1

I really think anyone in the UK leaving their house during the next 2 weeks should be arrested and imprisoned unless they have a written justification. Having a half-arsed lockdown is pointless, because it won't work and a stricter one will be needed later. There is an argument to be made for letting the thing run free and generate 300K extra deaths so that people can still work, but that argument has been lost and can't work if no other country is doing it. So the only choice left is a proper lockdown.

17 hours ago, Toast said:

2004 Boxing Day Tsunami took well over 200,000.

Yes but the majority were in Banda Aceh where a) they get their kicks by whipping women who stand too close to a man who is not their husband and b) if you go to Banda Aceh now it is insanely crowded. The tsunami was a tiny dent on the long term trend of huge population increases.

And a big unintended consequence of all the aid money given to them was that their sharia law has become much stricter and crueller for the local population, since a lot of extra money has come into their economy and has been stolen and misused by the religious leaders to entrench their power.

From Twitter:

image.thumb.png.5b2c0483ed5dcd236028a02aaee407ad.png

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

I really think anyone in the UK leaving their house during the next 2 weeks should be arrested and imprisoned unless they have a written justification. Having a half-arsed lockdown is pointless, because it won't work and a stricter one will be needed later. There is an argument to be made for letting the thing run free and generate 300K extra deaths so that people can still work, but that argument has been lost and can't work if no other country is doing it. So the only choice left is a proper lockdown.

Indications of a proper lockdown being imminent for London from Sadiq Khan on the news earlier.

Telling even non-critical workers to stay at home - regardless of whether they can work from home or not. 

Spain has now overtaken Iran on the number of deaths. All too close. Mind you,  that makes skiing hols in Tehran  cheap and Marbella next to nothing. But how to get there. 

On 20/03/2020 at 17:18, The Quim Reaper said:

Shutdown of pubs, cafés, cinemas, gyms, nightclubs, bars and restaurants (less takeaways) in the UK announced by Big Job. 

What I like is that he announced this as an unprecedented measure. Erm, that many countries on the continent have had in place for about 2 weeks.

45 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

From Twitter:

image.thumb.png.5b2c0483ed5dcd236028a02aaee407ad.png

Yep. Very much illustrates the theory that, because we didn’t act quickly, we can use Italy’s figures as a blueprint for what’s to come. We too, now, are getting more than 1,000 new cases a day, as Italy did.

Big Job left his preventative measures too late. Now we’re going to face the consequences of his complacency.

2 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Big Job left his preventative measures too late. Now we’re going to face the consequences of his complacency.

I don't think it's fair to blame Boris.  He was being advised by the scientists.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Yep. Very much illustrates the theory that, because we didn’t act quickly, we can use Italy’s figures as a blueprint for what’s to come. We too, now, are getting more than 1,000 new cases a day, as Italy did.

London could be the UK's Lombardy. Italy outside of Lombardy is relatively free of it .

I'd implore anyone on deathlist in the UK(anywhere for that matter) to not go out until you've used up all the food you have. Don't go out to just buy bread and milk every few days.Buy flour to make your own bread it's fun to learn something new anyway and try the long life milk, yes not ideal but sacrifices have to be made. 

A) you stop panic buying  

B  ) you'll help do your bit to stop the spread of the disease.

Screenshot_20200322-131503.jpg

24 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

London could be the UK's Lombardy. Italy outside of Lombardy is relatively free of it .

I'd implore anyone on deathlist in the UK(anywhere for that matter) to not go out until you've used up all the food you have. Don't go out to just buy bread and milk every few days.Buy flour to make your own bread it's fun to learn something new anyway and try the long life milk, yes not ideal but sacrifices have to be made. 

A) you stop panic buying  

B  ) you'll help do your bit to stop the spread of the disease.

Screenshot_20200322-131503.jpg

It's alright, some of us are about to be told we can't leave the house for 12 fucking weeks, even to walk the dog..... 

30 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Buy flour to make your own bread

Good luck with that.  No flour to be seen in the supermarkets whenever I've been in.

Got some from the little village shop though.  No yeast, but could try making unleavened stuff like chapattis or naan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Good luck with that.  No flour to be seen in the supermarkets whenever I've been in.

Got some from the little village shop though.  No yeast, but could try making unleavened stuff like chapattis or naan.

Toast talking about bread. Haha. Fuck its going to be a long couple of weeks if that amuses me. Put a round in the chamber......

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I don't think it's fair to blame Boris.  He was being advised by the scientists.

It’s definitely fair to say he isn’t blame-free. He’s seen what’s happened to countries that got it before us. Scientists or not, he should’ve taken the precautions; this outbreak has happened to other countries a fair amount of time before it really got going here.

Though maybe we should only shout at Johnson for once again paying too much attention to the views of the real PM, Dominic Cummings, before getting a dose of reality from, well, reality.

E1AEC8A8-2773-4961-8DED-D242FA02FC20.thumb.jpeg.e4c78e78ec3115963792a50bb89529f3.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

It’s definitely fair to say he isn’t blame-free. He’s seen what’s happened to countries that got it before us. Scientists or not, he should’ve taken the precautions; this outbreak has happened to other countries a fair amount of time before it really got going here.

Though maybe we should only shout at Johnson for once again paying too much attention to the views of the real PM, Dominic Cummings, before getting a dose of reality from, well, reality.

E1AEC8A8-2773-4961-8DED-D242FA02FC20.thumb.jpeg.e4c78e78ec3115963792a50bb89529f3.jpeg

Just a natural extension for pro-Eugenics cummings...

Why wait for us weaklings to have babies....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/19/sabisky-row-dominic-cummings-criticised-over-designer-babies-post

Just now, Deathray said:

Just a natural extension for pro-Eugenics cummings...

Why wait for us weaklings to have babies....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/19/sabisky-row-dominic-cummings-criticised-over-designer-babies-post

Even if Boris Johnson was acting on the best available advice at the time he would have to fight against a sizeable portion of society who believe that this Government would love to let the old and sick die. 

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Even if Boris Johnson was acting on the best available advice at the time he would have to fight against a sizeable portion of society who believe that this Government would love to let the old and sick die. 

The one unanswered question is what happens to us when were all let back into the world?

We've built no immunity up. So surely we just get this shit then anyway?

• Like 1

Sincerely I don't care if economy will die after this. I just want to stop hearing ambulances at 3.00 a.m. every damn night and reading dozens of obituaries of people in their 30-40s who die of this (see hereherehere and I could go on, dammit). I'm tired. Everyone is tired here. You need to be an utter dork who should be crucified not to be.

• Sad 2