paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't understand why the Chinese government doesn't put a stop to the charlatans who practice "traditional medicine". Even if it's "just" for animal protection. 

The Chinese know very well that pangolin scales & rhino horns won't cure cancer or impotence. So why not simply stop this nonsense? :angry:

• Like 1

This will be interesting to see.

• Like 2

Listen to this absolute shithouse on BBC Radio Solent.

• Facepalm 3

Case total so far now over 400,000; death toll over 18,000 and continuing to accelerate. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Incidental note from San Marino: with 21 deaths so far out of a population of 33,400, this has the highest per capita death toll from Covid19 of any country in the world.  It's dangerous and often inaccurate to extrapolate from small numbers, especially when the population of San Marino is as non-typical as you get (both older and richer than practically any other country out there), but the same per capita mortality in the UK would equate to a total of 42,000 deaths; worldwide, the same per capita mortality would equate to 4.7 million deaths.  And that's before you get into the indirect mortality from people going nuts in lockdown or from people dying of other health conditions neglected thanks to this situation.

And speaking of people going nuts, I learned this morning that I need to thoroughly self-isolate until the middle of next week.  Day one of being confined to a bedroom + bathroom (to keep my wife as safe as possible) and I'm already crawling up the walls.

• Shocked 1

52 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

Case total so far now over 400,000; death toll over 18,000 and continuing to accelerate. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Incidental note from San Marino: with 21 deaths so far out of a population of 33,400, this has the highest per capita death toll from Covid19 of any country in the world.  It's dangerous and often inaccurate to extrapolate from small numbers, especially when the population of San Marino is as non-typical as you get (both older and richer than practically any other country out there), but the same per capita mortality in the UK would equate to a total of 42,000 deaths; worldwide, the same per capita mortality would equate to 4.7 million deaths.  And that's before you get into the indirect mortality from people going nuts in lockdown or from people dying of other health conditions neglected thanks to this situation.

And speaking of people going nuts, I learned this morning that I need to thoroughly self-isolate until the middle of next week.  Day one of being confined to a bedroom + bathroom (to keep my wife as safe as possible) and I'm already crawling up the walls.

My advice to you is to stop reading about the virus and take a break from it.   Watch the news, if you must,  no more than once a day.  Do something else.  Watch some films, read a good book, listen to music, do jigsaws, draw or paint, whatever floats your boat.   Concentrating on doom and gloom and negativity will just make you feel worse.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Listen to this absolute shithouse on BBC Radio Solent.

'So your happy to die for a day at the beach?' 'Yes'

No words

3 hours ago, paddyfool said:

Going to be alot of suicides connected to this virus.Financially and the loss of loved ones and those left behind unable to cope. One huge plus is thank god children aren't effected as much.

Toast gave some good recommendations. I found myself trying to ignore this virus now , the two things that have really took my mind of it the best are reading fiction books and playing computer games. Doing Colouring in books with my daughter aswell.

• Like 5

A minimum of five million people died in Congo's civil war and it barely made the news.  Ten thousand people there have died of measles in just over a year, a condition for which a vaccine exists, yet we barely bat an eyelid at all this completely unnecessary suffering.   

Those who tremble in fear at the onset of the coronavirus would do well to develop a sense of perspective and be thankful for what they have.  I'm sorry to say this country has become riddled with self-serving, yellow-bellied, lily-livered cowards.  What's happened to our fighting spirit?

My God, we're only asked to stay on our sofas for a few weeks and you'd think it's Armageddon. We seem to have lost the ability to suffer, even for a little bit. 

• Like 5

More than 1 million were killed on the roads. 7 million from the good old death sticks.

It is impossible to have a sense of perspective - having a sense of perspective would be instantly fatal - just ask Trin Tragula.

However, we do work to reduce those deaths. That is the point of life, putting of death to later.

http://robslink.com/SAS/democd79/us_traffic_fatalities.htm

Should add that the USA doesn't feel that way about pedestrians.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2019/02/28/u-s-pedestrian-deaths-reach-highest-level-since-1990-infographicbut/#261f344d2b63

Not as bad as 1936 and 1937 when more than 15,000 died each year in the USA.

Edited by QuebecCityOliver
Add extra info.

On 24/03/2020 at 07:40, theoldlady said:

Good morning! Today is Tuesday, March 24th.

There are now 16,558 deaths worldwide, not counting the deaths China is hiding. Who do they think they are kidding?

The numbers for Norway stand at 2,625 cases, 41 critical, only 6 people have recovered, and no new deaths yet. We have a total of 10 deaths. :rip:

This is my 14th Day working from home. 
edit:
Two new deaths today so far.  New total 12.  :rip:

Good Morning! Today is Wednesday, March 25th.

There are soon 19,000 deaths worldwide, not counting the deaths China is hiding (cases estimated were 200-300,000 in Wuhan). In Norway the day starts with 2866 cases, 12 dead, 44 critical. :rip:

This is my 15th day working from home. Our Prime Minster has extended the lock-down through Monday April 13th (a holiday here as well). 
Edit:

Two new deaths today for a new total: 14 :rip: There are soon 20,000 deaths worldwide.

Edited by theoldlady
To show updates

8 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Good Morning! Today is Wednesday, March 25th.

There are soon 19,000 deaths worldwide, not counting the deaths China is hiding (estimated to be 200-300,000 in Wuhan).

In Norway the day starts with 2866 cases, 12 dead, 44 critical. :rip:

This is my 15th day working from home. Our Prime Minster has extended the lock-down through Monday April 13th (a holiday here as well). 
Edit:

Two new deaths today for a new total: 14 :rip: There are soon 20,000 deaths worldwide.

Maybe it is time to stop the bloody updates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Why? 

1 minute ago, Steve said:

Why? 

Why?

We have gone beyond the daily summaries, it is a pandemic and we are all having to deal with it.

We have enough detail in the press and the media to keep us up to date on how many people are dead, dying, self isolating etc.

We are on a lockdown, for as good as it will do, and we are living with its consequences on a daily basis.

You want daily updates? Look online or buy a fucking newspaper.

We have enough threads for this virus now, we need to be talking about something else, anything else.

• Thanks 1

It's all going to be over soon anyway so we can stop updating and talking about it then 

20 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

But if they weren't posted on here how would we find out anything about corona virus? :D

EDIT: I didn't see your second post till after I wrote that.

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

But if they weren't posted on here how would we find out anything about corona virus? :D

Yeah...

Edit: I will let you off then...:D

9 minutes ago, Steve said:

It's all going to be over soon anyway so we can stop updating and talking about it then 

Is it? really? How would you know?

I never trust the words of anybody who cannot be arsed to do the simple thing of uploading an avatar.

I have had a vision and this will all be over in a few days 

3 minutes ago, Steve said:

Stop posting bollocks. 

This will last months. 

By early part of next week. Then you Deathray and others will be laughing on the other side of their faces when my vision becomes a reality. It was a lovely calming vision I had. I am a tea totaller so no I had not been drinking before I had this vision before you throw that hat into the ring. 

24 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Yeah...

Edit: I will let you off then...:D

Is it? really? How would you know?

I never trust the words of anybody who cannot be arsed to do the simple thing of uploading an avatar.

These antibody tests should hopefully be available by early next week alone lives to go on and the economy to recover

2 minutes ago, Deathray said:

These antibody tests should hopefully be available by early next week alone lives to go on and the economy to recover

See so you do agree with me!!

8 minutes ago, Steve said:

See so you do agree with me!!

Just because the tests will be available, doesn't mean this will be over.

3.5m of the 70m we'd need for the UK alone have been ordered. 

52 minutes ago, Steve said:

And it's a vision so poor, Specsavers want it for their fucking adverts.

Wind your neck in, mate.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Why?

We have gone beyond the daily summaries, it is a pandemic and we are all having to deal with it.

We have enough detail in the press and the media to keep us up to date on how many people are dead, dying, self isolating etc.

We are on a lockdown, for as good as it will do, and we are living with its consequences on a daily basis.

You want daily updates? Look online or buy a fucking newspaper.

We have enough threads for this virus now, we need to be talking about something else, anything else.

Well said.

For the sake of our mental health, we need distraction, not constant exposure to doom and gloom merchants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1