paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looks like Steve's prediction for the day was right. IF true. He could be jetting off to a Caribbean Island or something. A Downing Street backdrop would be easy to do for his updates..

Scary for his pregnant missus though. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Today is going to be the start of better days ahead, I can just feel it! 

17 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Boris has tested positive, he has it.

These go hand in hand perfectly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Genfærd said:

New Oxford University study posits that the fatality rate may actually be 0.05-0.14..

That puts Covid-19 on par or even less severe than the flu. It’s just that it infects everybody very quickly that’s causing the problem.

That squares with what my friend's brother said a couple of weeks ago.  He has various qualifications in infectious diseases, including a degree in "disease spread modelling" so I'm told.  He predicted that it would be more infectious but less deadly than feared.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genfærd said:

New Oxford University study posits that the fatality rate may actually be 0.05-0.14..

That puts Covid-19 on par or even less severe than the flu. It’s just that it infects everybody very quickly that’s causing the problem.

If true, we will see a lot of egg on a lot of faces (mine included).  And if less than 50% of the world's population catch it this year, and if only 50% or so of Covid19 deaths are confirmed as Covid19 deaths, that would likely keep the confirmed death toll from this under half a million.

I’m a little bit worried right now. Yesterday, I started to cough and feel nauseous. Today, I’m coughing a lot more and feel like I’m on the verge of vomiting. I’ve done research and apparently in young people like me one of the first symptoms of the coronavirus is nausea. If I do have it, I have no idea how I would have got it. I haven’t stepped out of the house in two weeks.

But, again, the problem is not the death rate, per se. I am sorry that I have to rant again that the problem is overwhelming the system and causing a collapse that results in an overall higher death rate. 

And, if throwing hundreds of thousands of volunteers to hold back the dike solves the problem to some degree then the shutdown was warranted to stop total collapse.

Also, we still have insufficient data to make accurate claims about death rates. It is simply too early to know. Too much BS and too much information and not enough actual data. The panic and fear-mongering is beginning to worry me, more so than the actual virus which can probably be contained. Fear spreads far more easily.

• Like 1

An ex colleague of my mother is worried for her daughter and son in law now. Her son in law is a sound recordist for Sky News and he has been following Boris around recently work wise and her daughter is pregnant.

41 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

I’m a little bit worried right now. Yesterday, I started to cough and feel nauseous. Today, I’m coughing a lot more and feel like I’m on the verge of vomiting. I’ve done research and apparently in young people like me one of the first symptoms of the coronavirus is nausea. If I do have it, I have no idea how I would have got it. I haven’t stepped out of the house in two weeks.

air conditioning perhaps.

55 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

Any deliveries or putting the bins out?

50 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

An ex colleague of my mother is worried for her daughter and son in law now. Her son in law is a sound recordist for Sky News and he has been following Boris around recently work wise and her daughter is pregnant.

So she's been following Boris around too, then?

• Haha 2

919 dead in one day in Italy.  When will it end?

1 minute ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

So she's been following Boris around too, then?

No her son in law has been coming home from work after being in Westminster and so thus gets in contact with his partner. He has not been going to London via train due to the risk it can involve so Sky has provided him with private car to take him. However being in close contact with politicians who may have it is slightly worrying for her.

A suspected Covid-19 male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A young student female nurse appears and gives him a partial sponge bath.

"Nurse,"' he mumbles from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?"

Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, "I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet."

He struggles to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?"

Concerned that he might elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worrying about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and pulls back the covers. She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles gently in the other. She looks very closely and says, "There's nothing wrong with them, Sir. They look fine."

The man slowly pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her, and says very slowly, "Thank you very much. That was wonderful. Now listen very, very, closely: "Are - my - test - results - back?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

919 dead in one day in Italy.  When will it end?

Well there are 7.8 billion people in the world - officially about 580,000 have had or got corona. If that was correct then there are still 7.79942 billion people still to get it before it is over.

However assume the number of cases are understated by 100 times and actually 58 million people worldwide have had or got corona - then there would only be 7.722 billion people still to get it before it is over.

Or they get a vaccine or they eliminate the disease.

Whichever option you pick I think it's safe to say it will be a while.

On the bright side per wiki the current average population increase is estimated at 81 million people per year. We may not hit that this year thanks to Corona but 81 million people can die of Corona virus across the world and we will still have as many people on the planet at the end of the year as at the start.

At the moment officially only 26,000 have died of Corona so another 80,974,000 have to die before we even reach annual break even point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

At the moment officially only 26,000 have died of Corona so another 80,974,000 have to die before we even reach annual break even point.

And that's before you consider a possible spike in births 9 months post lockdown

13 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

And that's before you consider a possible spike in births 9 months post lockdown

I guess we know what you'll be doing during lockdown. 

56 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

No her son in law has been coming home from work after being in Westminster and so thus gets in contact with his partner. He has not been going to London via train due to the risk it can involve so Sky has provided him with private car to take him. However being in close contact with politicians who may have it is slightly worrying for her.

Sorry Lady Fiona. I have to do it.....

u52gRNybAmAy4.gif

1 hour ago, the_engineer said:

Any deliveries or putting the bins out?

I did order Italian food to be delivered to my house 4-5 days ago. My mom also dropped off groceries at my house during the same time period. 

40 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

I guess we know what you'll be doing during lockdown. 

Yeah, compiling more stats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeathClock said:

I did order Italian food to be delivered to my house 4-5 days ago. My mom also dropped off groceries at my house during the same time period. 

Might be worth checking the place you ordered food from and your mum is ok. More likely you might of caught it from takeaway. See if the place you ordered food from is closed , that could be a sign that they've closed due to outbreak.

Is anyone else genuinely worried they might die?  I just found out today that about 2.5 weeks ago I sat opposite (within like about 4 feet) a lady at work (young, fit, no underlying health issues) who is now very seriously ill. I’m shitting my pants.

2 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Is anyone else genuinely worried they might die?  I just found out today that about 2.5 weeks ago I sat opposite (within like about 4 feet) a lady at work (young, fit, no underlying health issues) who is now very seriously ill. I’m shitting my pants.

I mean we all might bloody well die from this. 

That's kind of the whole fucking point of the restrictions. If you get it, you get it. If you get it bad enough to cark it then thems the breaks. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I think you would have had symptoms by now if you had caught it from her.

They tell people to isolate for 14 days if someone they live with has symptoms, so sounds like you're past that anyway.

And you don't catch it just from being near someone, only if they cough or sneeze near you, or possibly if you handled something they touched.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Is anyone else genuinely worried they might die?  I just found out today that about 2.5 weeks ago I sat opposite (within like about 4 feet) a lady at work (young, fit, no underlying health issues) who is now very seriously ill.

No. Three weeks ago my friend and I were geocaching, gloveless, literally across the street from an assisted living facility that's now had 16 deaths from coronavirus, possibly spread by a worker who could have gone across the street on their breaks. The first death was announced two days after our cache visit.

My friend lives alone and has hypochondriac tendencies. He is probably okay, but of course we're now limiting contact to telephone and email as advised. I am asymptomatic or uninfected.

You don't know where your young coworker goes when she's not working, with whom she comes into contact.

The coronavirus does not kill everybody who comes into contact with it. I believe the virologists who say 50-80% of us could have it and not know, or have symptoms so mild we won't be tested and ergo won't add to the growing number of confirmed cases. I believe the virologists who present age decile ranks of average risks -- a 32-year-old non-smoker in a fresh-air environment is in the same decile as a 38-year-old obese smoker with hypertension who lives in a polluted city. I believe the death rates are calculated from confirmed cases, and yes, both the death rates and confirmed cases are undoubtedly under-reported.

• Like 1