paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Is anyone else genuinely worried they might die?  I just found out today that about 2.5 weeks ago I sat opposite (within like about 4 feet) a lady at work (young, fit, no underlying health issues) who is now very seriously ill. I’m shitting my pants.

I'm concerned, yes.

If you are not then you are a brainless fuckwitt.

I am not convinced that healthy people have died from this.

I suspect that those that have been stated as having no underlying illnesses before catching it DID have some sort of underlying weakness somewhere, even undetectable.

The emphasis is in deaths and not recoveries, it is skewing peoples thoughts to negativity, that is fucking wrong.

More people will still die from the flu, as bad as this one is.

You are isolated, both of you are stuck together so you are not likely to get it from somebody else.

Relax Lardy, it is going to be ok.:)

• Like 1

Concerned in that I'd rather not catch it and die, especially as the government keep pointing out I'm on the vulnerable list, but I'm not sitting around waiting for it to get me. I'm sitting around watching Netflix instead. :)

I certainly think there's a lot of folk with undiagnosed heart issues and the like, LFN. I also think the reason it went nuts with 50-60 year olds in Iran is because that's folk who lived through Saddam gassing the fuck out of everyone in the 80s, so likely there's a lot of lung issues there in their older generations.

• Like 3

Clearly everything said here is sensible and rational, I have always been a massive worst-case-scenario monger of doom but this has sent my paranoia and anxiety rocketing.  Well, I guess if your number’s up you’re number’s up. 

"Fit and healthy 28-year-old dad dies days after coronavirus diagnosis"

Very sad, but the third paragraph mentions that he had a chest infection 3 weeks ago. Surely that disqualifies him from being healthy.

Anyway, the maw has started showing symptoms, and with her observance of personal space I'm gubbed. Worrying. But we won't die.

3 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Is anyone else genuinely worried they might die?  I just found out today that about 2.5 weeks ago I sat opposite (within like about 4 feet) a lady at work (young, fit, no underlying health issues) who is now very seriously ill. I’m shitting my pants.

I had a few hours freak out on Monday night and then the next day was my day off and i'm chilled out now, especially when half the hospital is not doing anything. So I feel I may be too chilled out, compared to my dad who won't let me enter the house without sanitizing my hands and then cleaning every item I own.

I'm more pissed off that when I walk home it takes me twice as long now because so many people are outside going on walks, i'm zig zagging across the road (it's a quiet road). My mum takes me in to work meanwhile by car and the commute is lovely because no traffic. I then lock myself in the department until lunch.

On a seperate note - anyone got any positive news coming out of Portugal? My friend from Lisbon is an anxious OCD mess and keeps sending me daily death rate in Portugal by Whatsapp even though it's less than 1% of the country right now compared to Italy or Spain. I need to send her some good news.

6 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

On a seperate note - anyone got any positive news coming out of Portugal? My friend from Lisbon is an anxious OCD mess and keeps sending me daily death rate in Portugal by Whatsapp even though it's less than 1% of the country right now compared to Italy or Spain. I need to send her some good news.

It's not specific to portugal, but maybe send her a link to that Oxford study that was posted earlier which reckoned the death rate was low, and/or some of the more upbeat news articles on drug candidates? Also point out the following perks of the situation:

- Less air pollution right now

- Fewer greenhouse gas emissions

- Less transmission of every pathogen with person to person spread

- Fewer road collision deaths

- After this crisis, the world should have significantly enhanced its ITU capacity, and may have enhanced its capacity to treat viral infections generally. Plus more people may actually wash their hands after this.

- A chance to practice and get really good at indoor activity X, maybe flagging up calming options like mindfulness, meditation, yoga, artwork or whatever you think might appeal to her 

- A chance to do some DIY / gardening

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

It's not specific to portugal, but maybe send her a link to that Oxford study that was posted earlier which reckoned the death rate was low, and/or some of the more upbeat news articles on drug candidates? Also point out the following perks of the situation:

- Less air pollution right now

- Fewer greenhouse gas emissions

- Less transmission of every pathogen with person to person spread

- Fewer road collision deaths

- After this crisis, the world should have significantly enhanced its ITU capacity, and may have enhanced its capacity to treat viral infections generally. Plus more people may actually wash their hands after this.

- A chance to practice and get really good at indoor activity X, maybe flagging up calming options like mindfulness, meditation, yoga, artwork or whatever you think might appeal to her 

- A chance to do some DIY / gardening

Good Morning! Thanks for the excellent posting Paddyfool. Many good points!  Keep safe everyone! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

This is Portuguese and makes me smile.

• Like 1

Things are starting to get better, I did tell you all. 

17 minutes ago, Steve said:

Yes, I really like always having a seat in the subway now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Steve said:

It's funny what lockdown's doing to us isn't it, because looking for future optimism is probably what a lot of us need, and yet I still feel compelled to ask you to shut your noise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

Yes, I really like always having a seat in the subway now.

Nice to seeing you agree with me 

So:

March 19th: Daily confirmed Covid19 deaths worldwide pass 1000 per day

March 24th: More than 2000 per day

March 27th: More than 3000 per day

Probably we'll be seeing over 4000 per day before we get into April. And it'll be some time after that before things peak and start to go back the other way. 

Just have to wait and see how bad it gets. Oh, and get fit in case we catch it, if we want to survive: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52076856

2 hours ago, paddyfool said:

So:

Probably we'll be seeing over 4000 per day before we get into April. And it'll be some time after that before things peak and start to go back the other way. 

Just have to wait and see how bad it gets. Oh, and get fit in case we catch it, if we want to survive: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52076856

Survival of the fittest quite literally. 

9 hours ago, paddyfool said:

So:

Good morning! Thanks for the overveiw and comment Paddyfool. I am wondering how the folks in Africa are going to do during this. Just heard that the South Africans that were coming to our institution in Norway are not allowed to travel to us in JUNE - this ban is by their own government. I doubt their numbers will be accurate anyway. (China most likely had many deaths that were not reported. Norway is mostly shut down until at least 13. April - except the grocery stores and medical offices, etc.  Our death rate is remarkably low right now.)

While infection rates aren't accurate, death rates are probably pretty accurate, and you can probably extrapolate (multiply death rate by 50-100) to work out what the real infection rate is in each country. Death rates in tropical climates seem relatively low and not accelerating like in Europe. Their disadvantage is people live much closer together, and also education is poorer so they might not understand government rules or the reason behind them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's said that some people have the virus but without any symptoms.   How is this known?  Where and why are symptomless people being tested?

16 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's said that some people have the virus but without any symptoms.   How is this known?  Where and why are symptomless people being tested?

Certain other countries like South Korea test everybody in the area they've got a confirmed case. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Elsewhere on the web people are talking about showing symptoms in December/early January. If this theory holds water then the virus was already here long before we believe that it arrived. I had a horrendous cough in January that led me to have coughing fits and feeling like shit.

Who knows how many people have had this without knowing.

10 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Elsewhere on the web people are talking about showing symptoms in December/early January. If this theory holds water then the virus was already here long before we believe that it arrived. I had a horrendous cough in January that led me to have coughing fits and feeling like shit.

Who knows how many people have had this without knowing.

Yeah, but... we did have a nasty surge of norovirus here in the UK in November-January, and an unusually severe cold bug in early February (after we knew about coronavirus) that wasn't coronavirus. People will likely have caught this thing without noticing but its also as likely folk are now attributing their allergies or normal cold bugs a few months ago to "oh did I have coronavirus instead?".

• Like 2

It could make a huge difference if they could get this antibody test out to everybody, though.

But I don't think I've had it, I don't think I've even had a cold this winter. 

On 26/03/2020 at 19:17, Bentrovato said:

For those who were worried and had not been able to get to a radio recently, I am happy to inform you all that the village of Ambridge is still coronavirus free. I hope this puts some peoples worries at rest. 

Potentially bad news for the people of Ambridge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Genius or idiocy? Time will tell.....

BBC News - Coronavirus: Belarus Premier League attracts global attention as it plays on
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52084121

d4730137c02d6cd4963a541b5c7eb67d3bdfeba1.jpg

C'mon Minsk athletic.

31 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

C'mon Minsk athletic.

Mrs msc has always been amused by the Belarussian football team name Dynamo Brest.