paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you want an update on Frimley Trust which covers the A&E hospitals in Frimley and Slough then this is the email I got on Friday from the CEO:

Deaths - 88

Recoveries which were discharged  - 102

I can't remember how many current inpatients there are between the two A&E hospitals but I will edit the post tomorrow.

On 02/04/2020 at 10:23, paddyfool said:
On 02/04/2020 at 09:49, Steve said:

I am going to say no more than 65,000 deaths from this awful global pandemic 

I would estimate that we pass 65,000 deaths within the next 5 days

Current death toll: 72,607.

Steve, would you please just stop making massively overoptimistic predictions?

Steve is clearly a glass half-full kind of person, and Lord knows the world needs some of that optimism right now.

Perhaps a vaccine will be finalised next week. Perhaps Bojo will rise up like Lazarus.

B)

3 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

If you want an update on Frimley Trust which covers the A&E hospitals in Frimley and Slough then this is the email I got on Friday from the CEO:

Deaths - 88

Recoveries which were discharged  - 102

I can't remember how many current inpatients there are between the two A&E hospitals but I will edit the post tomorrow.

I would like to know how many of the recoveries were A) on a ventilator B ) in a coma.  Probably zero of the latter.  Stateside best I could tell was once on a ventilator you have about a 25% chance of walking out of hospital.  You’re showing 55%.  Quite a difference.  

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

I would like to know how many of the recoveries were A) on a ventilator B ) in a coma.  Probably zero of the latter.  Stateside best I could tell was once on a ventilator you have about a 25% chance of walking out of hospital.  You’re showing 55%.  Quite a difference.  

Tbf, that’s only showing those who have died and recovered and not those who are still fighting the virus in the hospital...

Promising news from Finland about their medical research into Time Lord DNA, however:

promising.png

• Like 3
  • Shocked 2

Some article in the Guardian about Iran calling China's numbers a joke...

... anyway, Iran might be the first example of what happens after "flattening the curve".

They did manage to stop the escalation in mid-march, followed by a decline in deaths. But in the three weeks until now, it became obvious that the deaths merely plateau-ed.

So maybe Spain and Italy are doomed to go through 3 more weeks of 800 deaths per day once they hit the daily maximum. Actually, Italy has probably gone through about 10 days of this already. And Spain hit the maximum a few days ago. UK and USA might not be at the maximum yet. 

And three more weeks at a maximum level of 1.500 deaths in the USA means 31.500 more deaths in the USA.

Hmm... well,  the predictions right now are actually much worse.

The current figures from ONS have weekly mortality in the week up to the 27th of March as 1,011 above the 5 year average, although deaths where Covid 19 was mentioned on the death certificate totalled only 539.  Possibly some of the increase was down to the stretched health service being unable to address other problems; with some attributable to undiagnosed Covid 19, and maybe some to random variation.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending27march2020

Given the current daily rate of Covid 19 mortality is similar to the weekly rate in that week, I expect next week's update will show a total that's a few thousand higher than average.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2020 at 19:22, Lard Bazaar said:

Not really, there has been a dip on Sundays due to delays in reporting deaths, it will rise again come Monday/Tuesday. 

And there we have it.

Mexico on the ramp up - could be big numbers in a week or two - ratio of deaths to cases looks like they aren’t testing very well.

On 07/04/2020 at 18:19, ladyfiona said:

It seems 3 out of 4 patients that end up in ICU in hospital unwell are men. So not hitting the women as much.

Edit - Source from The Guardian if you want a read.

Indeed, and speculation abounds as to why. To what extent is it historically greater smoking, boozing and general poor health-seeking behaviour among men, to what extent is it that men in their 50s, 60s, or 70s are more likely to be in the workforce and to have that exposure than women of the same age, and to what extent is it immunological differences?

Personally, I reckon the immune system is pretty significant. A similar sex divide in susceptibility to respiratory infections is seen with other conditions (as culturally recognised visavis worse male symptoms, eg "manflu", and/or worse prognosis, eg bronchopneumonia traditionally being "the old man's last friend").  Also, a similar sex difference in susceptibility to respiratory infections is also seen in other mammals. Finally, we know there are significant immune differences between the sexes both from the differences in prevalence of many autoimmune disorders and from direct lab observation of various immune response markers. 

So it makes quite a lot of sense for men to get sicker with this, from an immune system perspective that's likely also exacerbated by behavioural differences. And that's before you get to the question of whether beards are a risk (probably not).

28 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

as culturally recognised visavis worse male symptoms, eg "manflu"

That's not what women mean by "manflu".  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paddyfool said:

Indeed, and speculation abounds as to why

So you added your own :lol:

A bit of coronabollocks here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/doctor-warns-not-wear-gloves-21819786

One doctor has warned wearing gloves to do your food shop could be doing more harm than good.

A surgeon, who posts as Dr Karan Raj on social media, posted a video to 'explain why you don't need to wear gloves when you go out' as people look to take steps to protect themselves against coronavirus.

Wearing a pair of medical gloves, he uses a pen to draw on his hand, showing how germs can accumulate as you touch things like baskets, trolleys and self-service checkout machines which have been used by other shoppers.  Well, duh.

As you continue to wear your gloves on your way home or throughout the day (why would anyone do that?) the gloves continue to come into contact with more and more germs, which you be easily and unknowingly transferred by touching yourself or items like your phone.

"Your glove is now more full of germs than your hand would have been if you had washed each time," he said. Each time what?  You can't keep washing your hands in a supermarket.

"Remember, with these same gloves you'll be touching your steering wheel  No I won't, because I discard the gloves as soon as I leave the shop , you might accidentally touch your [face] transferring the germs to yourself.

"And then when you're changing your gloves, you might be actually touching the glove itselfHuh?

"Just wash your hands, be sensible, stay safe."

I've been putting on vinyl gloves when I go into a supermarket.  I don't touch my face or my phone while I'm in there.

I take the gloves off as soon as I leave the shop and put them in a bin.  I use hand sanitiser before getting into the car, and I wash my hands as soon as I get into my house.  Seems like effective precautions to me. 

Do people really behave like he describes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I've been putting on vinyl gloves when I go into a supermarket.  I don't touch my face or my phone while I'm in there.

I take the gloves off as soon as I leave the shop and put them in a bin.  I use hand sanitiser before getting into the car, and I wash my hands as soon as I get into my house.  Seems like effective precautions to me. 

That has given me the right fuckin 'orn!!!:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Police in Manchester shut down 600 street and house parties over the weekend, I have a proposition.

Set up an isolated festival, Let the selfish attend, see how it ends up.

6 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Police in Manchester shut down 600 street and house parties over the weekend, I have a proposition.

Set up an isolated festival, Let the selfish attend, see how it ends up.

It ends up with a high percentage in hospital fucking over the NHS.

• Haha 1

Fuck. I swear I cropped this but anyways.

Screenshot_20200409-184634.png

6 hours ago, Toast said:

Before my department closed to patients here at the hospital I work at. A patient came in for a test wearing mask and gloves. I asked him to take off the gloves because there were signs in other part of the hospital to do so and it's not really necessary unless you are treating a patient. For some reason he had put talcum powder inside the gloves as well.

After coming out of his test, he put the same gloves back on, but I would have thought the gloves would now be contaminated by then and useless.

2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Before my department closed to patients here at the hospital I work at. A patient came in for a test wearing mask and gloves. I asked him to take off the gloves because there were signs in other part of the hospital to do so and it's not really necessary unless you are treating a patient. For some reason he had put talcum powder inside the gloves as well.

After coming out of his test, he put the same gloves back on, but I would have thought the gloves would now be contaminated by then and useless.

A whole point missed.

Whatever the morality and the rights and wrongs, he was protecting himself!

He wears the gloves all day, he doesn't stick his hands in his mouth, his eyes, up his nose or up his arse.

He then disposes of the gloves ( virus riddled, possibly) and has clean hands with no viruses on them.

Hospital is the worst place to be if you do not want to get ill.

Today I have actually seen a picture of scrubs being discarded into an overflowing bin so that said scrubs are all over the fucking floor.

This was on a yellow area ward.

You want to know why so many NHS staff are dying from this shit?

The truth wouldn't fit the fantasy.

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

It's not really the same though.  This guy obviously didn't expect to be made to take off his gloves :angry: so he didn't have a fresh pair with him. 

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

I asked him to take off the gloves because there were signs in other part of the hospital to do so and it's not really necessary unless you are treating a patient.

Are you for real? So what about the hundred other members of the public that have been in and out of the hospital bog that day that may or may not be infected, we can’t catch it off them, no? You’re batshit mate.

• Like 2

No confirmed cases in the highlands, we've all just got a bad cold is all. We'll get over it, no need to bother anyone.

Our numb-nuts, also known as our government, are going to start openning up Norway a little bit this month. The pre-schools will open again on April 20th and Grades 1-4 on the 28th. Yup, the magical teachers will be able to enforce social distancing on their two year old charges. Our death rate keeps going up as well as the amount of infections. I feel sorry for those teachers. Norway has a remarkable amount of children with asthma - lots of mould in many buildings caused by rain and faulty building regulations in the past. We also have lots of kids with childhood diabetes. Scary stuff.