paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Hawail is a suprise being it is a popular tourist area and with strong links to Asia. Perhaps proof that much of the world's spread does come via Italy.

Small populations can give all sorts of surprising results from random chance, of course.

Incidentally, many bigger chinese tourism destinations than Hawaii, eg Indonesia, also seem to have been relatively spared. Maybe Chinese tourists' habits when abroad of mask-wearing etc may have helped limit spread?  Also, locals in the rest of the world may have been more cautious around Chinese tourists visiting than around businessmen who looked like them and had visited China. 

4 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

Small populations can give all sorts of surprising results from random chance, of course.

Incidentally, many bigger chinese tourism destinations than Hawaii, eg Indonesia, also seem to have been relatively spared. Maybe Chinese tourists' habits when abroad of mask-wearing etc may have helped limit spread?  Also, locals in the rest of the world may have been more cautious around Chinese tourists visiting than around businessmen who looked like them and had visited China. 

That's not true. Jakarta is having a outbreak atm with suspicions it is covering up the numbers.

12 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

That's not true. Jakarta is having a outbreak atm with suspicions it is covering up the numbers.

Yes, and the number of funerals here has increased by about 20% compared to usual implying more deaths than officially reported. But even given that, the outbreak is nowhere near European levels.  Bali, where most Chinese go (in their tens of thousands, including direct from Wuhan), has barely had any deaths.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Yes, and the number of funerals here has increased by about 20% compared to usual implying more deaths than officially reported. But even given that, the outbreak is nowhere near European levels.  Bali, where most Chinese go (in their tens of thousands, including direct from Wuhan), has barely had any deaths.

Perhaps the seasonality helped- Whuan locked down just before I presume a rush for the Chinese New Year.

The truth will be heard, we will see the increased levels of reported death and can attribute the increases to Covid 19 and complications on a like for like basis, globally the numbers are currently being under reported and only time can reveal the true picture. Lies, damn lies and statistics. As an accountant the most difficult numbers to find are the ones that are not there. The countries that are most at risk are those with few reported cases poor healthcare and vanity based leaderships in denial. The Americas have a tough time ahead as have all densely populated areas.

• Like 1

Would you like a little Wine with that cheese?

Ugandan opposition politician Robert Kyagulanyi, popularly known as Bobi Wine, says he has partnered with an American businessman to airlift Africans being mistreated in China.

Bobi Wine said together with Neil Nelson (unconfirmed relative of @Lord Fellatio Nelson) they are ready to airlift the Africans if any African country agrees to receive them.

Now I have no idea who the person presently in charge of the playground known as Uganda is, but please shoot and kill this sonovabitch Wine.

Furthermore, if another country DOES agree to receive them, shoot the leaders of said country in the head along with their family and successor children.  For fuxsake.  Drape the dead bodies on the highest bridge in the capital for all to see what happens to people who are as boneheaded as Wine.  Hell, go to China and kill the poor oppressed Ugandans.  People will get over it in time.  But what you WON’T BE FUCKING DOING is airlifting Ugandans from CHINA to Africa.  

I thank you, DL thanks you, the world thanks you.

SirC

UK mortality data:

Weekly ONS figures for the week up to 3rd April are 6,082 higher than the 5-year average for that week. Only 3,475 deaths had Covid-19 mentioned on their death cert (either as confirmed or suspected... but many GPs and coroners avoid putting "suspected" anything on a death certificate).

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending3april2020

The rest of the excess? I reckon that much of it will be undiagnosed Covid, but we will likely also be seeing indirectly attributable deaths from disruption to health services etc, and maybe negative impacts of the lockdown as well.

After things have settled down and there will probably be a report made on things like deaths in care homes and those who didn't die in hospitals with it - i'd love to see those figures.

This is like Godfather 3 when he arranges to kill all his enemies at the same time

1 hour ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Just been on twitter and found this glossary of corona virus terms, my favourite and a use of it, Have you had Miley Cyrus.

Rhyming slang.

https://t.co/fZwcg79ZRZ?amp=1

Have you noticed that coronavirus is an anagram of carnivorous?    Shame they didn't use the word for that flesh-eating bug, necrotising whateveritwas.

• Like 1

Finally some clarity! New step by step UK Covid-19 guidance. Correct as of 16th April.

1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can.

2. Masks are useless, but maybe you have to wear one. Maybe masks help. It is mandatory to wear them in some places, possibly.

3. Stores are closed, except those that are open.

4. You should not go to hospitals or surgeries unless you have to go there. The same applies to doctors, you should only go there in case of emergency, provided you are not too sick.

5. This virus is deadly but still not too scary, except that it actually leads to a global disaster.

6. Gloves won't help, but they can still help.

7. Everyone needs to stay HOME, but it's important to GO OUT.

8. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarket, but there are many things missing when you go there in the evening, but not in the morning. Sometimes.

9. The virus has no effect on children, except those it affects.

10. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there… and what about that bat?

11. You will have many symptoms when you are sick, but you can also get sick without symptoms, have symptoms without being sick, or be contagious without having symptoms.

12. In order not to get sick, you have to eat well and exercise. But to avoid going out, eat whatever you have on hand, and it's better not to go out, except to buy food, maybe.

13. It's better to get some fresh air, but you get looked at very sternly when you do get some fresh air. Most importantly, don't go to parks or walk. Don’t sit down, except you can do that if you are old, but not for too long, or if you are pregnant (but not too old).

14. You can't go to retirement homes, or the homes of elderly relatives, but you have to take care of the elderly and bring food and medication to them.

15. If you are sick, you can't go out, but you can go to the pharmacy.

16. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house, which may have been prepared by people who didn't wear masks or gloves. But to have your groceries decontaminated, leave outside for 3 hours. Store pizza = isolate. Fresh pizza = too tasty to wait.

17. Every disturbing article or disturbing interview starts with " I don't want to trigger panic, but…"

18. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but you can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver.

19. You can walk around with a friend but not with your family if they don't live under the same roof.

20. You are safe if you maintain the appropriate social distance, but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance.

21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours, no, four, no, six, no, we didn't say hours, maybe days? But it takes a damp environment. Or a dry one.

22. The virus stays in the air - well no, or yes, maybe, especially in a closed room. In one hour a sick person can infect ten, so all our children were already infected at school before they were closed. But remember, stay at the recommended social distance. However in certain circumstances you should maintain a greater distance, as studies show the virus can travel further, maybe. Walk in the road to avoid someone on the pavement who looks like the sort of person who would probably give you a virus.

23. We count the number of deaths but we don't know how many people are infected, as we have only so far tested those who were "almost dead" to find out if that's what they will die of.

24. We have no treatment, except that there may be one that apparently is not dangerous unless you take it wrongly, or you're the wrong person to take it.

25. We should stay locked up until the virus disappears, but it will only disappear if we achieve collective immunity… but for that to happen, we must no longer be locked up.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Update from where I work:

• 250+ cases currently in the two a&e hospitals as patients, but that number is going down (-20 from one hospital overnight - I get no emails about deaths, just recoveries and current inpatients).
  • After contacting my manager over email this morning asking when the hell should I be booking people, my head of department then emailed everyone just before I left work to say we can book people for appointments from 1st June. However the referrals will have a 5 month delay for non urgent patients. At least for me because I already had a 8 week delay for non urgent patients (in mid March I was booking referrals for late January). I think the main hospital is also going to run Saturday and Sunday clinics to try and catch up - I don't know about where I work yet.
  • Like 1

@paddyfool I don’t care if that’s original work or not.  It’s brilliant!  I may lift it.... 

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

@paddyfool I don’t care if that’s original work or not.  It’s brilliant!  I may lift it.... 

I lifted it too, without even knowing the original source to attribute it to...

The government in Norway wants everyone to download an app that will track us and let us know if we have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with Covid-19. So far over 600,000 have downloaded it since yesterday April 16th. They say it will help in tracking the progress and contact sources of the virus in Norway.

Has anyone else`s country done this? Experiences? Privacy issues come to mind. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

The government in Norway wants everyone to download an app that will track us and let us know if we have been in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with Covid-19. So far over 600,000 have downloaded it since yesterday April 16th. They say it will help in tracking the progress and contact sources of the virus in Norway.

Has anyone else`s country done this? Experiences? Privacy issues come to mind. Thanks.

I think South Korea did something similar.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theoldlady said:

I was reading an article on the BBC website about this just yesterday and thought 'that's fine, it doesn't include me, I don't have a smartphone to download the app onto'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theoldlady said:

That's a bit beyond nanny state. What is it with this pandemic bringing out borderline dictatorships over the edge. Starts off optional will soon be mandatory. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theoldlady said:

What does "in contact with" mean?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

What does "in contact with" mean?  

The excuse is that they will `inform us` if we should happen to be in any sort of contact - even if we are just being in the same Grocery Store or hiking path as someone who has been infected. It will be used as a tracking device. :o

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

That's a bit beyond nanny state. What is it with this pandemic bringing out borderline dictatorships over the edge. Starts off optional will soon be mandatory. 

Norway is often referred to as the last remaining Stalinist State in Europe. Yes, we are a dictatorship run by only a few wealthy families. They are all related to the original signers of our `Constitution.` 

3 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

I was reading an article on the BBC website about this just yesterday and thought 'that's fine, it doesn't include me, I don't have a smartphone to download the app onto'.

You are a wise man. :)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

Norway is often referred to as the last remaining Stalinist State in Europe. Yes, we are a dictatorship run by only a few wealthy families. They are all related to the original signers of our `Constitution.` 

I thought you were running  by your version of the Tories now....

Hardly Stalinist....