paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The hospital receptionist, who for 8 weeks was at one of the a&e hospitals helping reception staff there and only came back here Monday has now got coronavirus. I was speaking to him on Monday saying hi and watching with him (2m apart from each other), as the plexiglass protecting the staff from patients coming in was put up around the reception desk. He got tested Tuesday apparently and I only heard about it from a porter in passing.

Cheers for the heads up management.

• Sad 2

Norway has extended the lock down of its borders until mid-August. Only Citizens and documented Foreign workers can now re-enter (allbeit with a two weeks home confinement order after they enter). Norwegians can now travel anywhere in Norway (but cannot leave Norway) - the government is promoting taking ones holiday here: «Vacation in your own country». There may be a change in this in mid-June or July where we might be able to go to Denmark and/or Sweden. Most younger students are back in School. The University students still have remote learning the remainder of this Semester - nothing has been decided if the remote learning will continue in the Fall semester or perhaps a combo of in-class and remote learning. Most working adults are still home with home offices or are laid off. (However health workers, teachers, grocery store workers and now hair-dressers and some stores/restaurant workere are back to work!) I am still working at home. Low death rate here - the lock-down has worked here! 

• Thanks 1

EYOaC1mXsAAjXI-.jpeg

Some depressing reading on this thread. But, on a lighter note. It pains me to admit that my busy life - office, to gym, to home - landed me in a little trouble last Christmas by way of developing a fungal infection in the nail of my left big toe. The treatment (little bottle from Boots) wasn't exactly cheap and was struggling to drive back the fungal patch for the first few weeks of the year. But, once I was furloughed and able to stretch my bare feet out in the sun with my morning coffee and a decent book the impact was noticeable. Had a very agreeable clipping of toenails yesterday, most of the fungal bit flying away onto the lawn and the nail looking like its old self. I mean, obviously the world wide Covid infection rate is going to tip five million any minute now and the virus has taken out well over 300,000 people but as I gazed at the restored toenail yesterday I wondered how many others with a dose of fungus are also enjoying a lockdown benefit. 

:D:D:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Some depressing reading on this thread. But, on a lighter note. It pains me to admit that my busy life - office, to gym, to home - landed me in a little trouble last Christmas by way of developing a fungal infection in the nail of my left big toe. The treatment (little bottle from Boots) wasn't exactly cheap and was struggling to drive back the fungal patch for the first few weeks of the year. But, once I was furloughed and able to stretch my bare feet out in the sun with my morning coffee and a decent book the impact was noticeable. Had a very agreeable clipping of toenails yesterday, most of the fungal bit flying away onto the lawn and the nail looking like its old self. I mean, obviously the world wide Covid infection rate is going to tip five million any minute now and the virus has taken out well over 300,000 people but as I gazed at the restored toenail yesterday I wondered how many others with a dose of fungus are also enjoying a lockdown benefit. 

:D:D:D

My old man has had two black toenails for years, no amount of fungal stuff gets rid, it just keeps coming back, probably because he spends 13 hours a day with his feet in big sweaty steel toe capped boots.  Honestly his naked feet make we want to vomit, he looks like something that should be living in the woods. 

3 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

My old man has had two black toenails for years, no amount of fungal stuff gets rid, it just keeps coming back, probably because he spends 13 hours a day with his feet in big sweaty steel toe capped boots.  Honestly his naked feet make we want to vomit, he looks like something that should be living in the woods. 

Been doing my daily walks in the woods since lockdown kicked in - yet to see black footed vomit inducing humans living there. 

We should - maybe - start a thread hereabouts seeking a suitable home, once you've moved Dave Grohl in as a replacement, obviously :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Snippet of good news: the daily covid death toll worldwide does seem to have been on a slowly falling downwards trajectory worldwide over the last month, from over 8000 at its peak on April 17th to 3500-5500 per day over the last week. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#daily-deaths

Of course these figures are incomplete and only offer the most cursory of glances at the global picture, but it still seems generally positive.

Figures released by the UK's national statistical agencies show that there were 54,437 more deaths up to 8 May than would normally have been expected by this time of year.

The figure is larger than the 34,796 people who died after a positive test result for coronavirus up to that date, or the 41,020 people whose death certificate mentioned Covid-19.

Robert Cuffe, the BBC's head of statistics, said the larger "excess deaths" figure was likely to capture the true impact of the virus, reflecting the numbers of people who died without a test or who died because of the strain on the healthcare system.

image.gif.a9c9ab453af65e9e542ced8b97a00251.gif80803979-fc53-48b0-8851-698b9b2cc338.png

image.gif.969e2fb5bcb05197f289536d25270343.gif

4 hours ago, paddyfool said:

Snippet of good news: the daily covid death toll worldwide does seem to have been on a slowly falling downwards trajectory worldwide over the last month, from over 8000 at its peak on April 17th to 3500-5500 per day over the last week. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/worldwide-graphs/#daily-deaths

Of course these figures are incomplete and only offer the most cursory of glances at the global picture, but it still seems generally positive.

As I have said, it is more the spread of the virus that concerns me and it is good to say that those numbers are dropping as well although South and Central America's numbers are on the rise and Africa has not kicked in as much as the experts thought it would but rising slowly.

• Like 2

As of right now, Brazil's daily deaths exceed America's. It's probably going to happen eventually, the USA not having the most deaths anymore. 

16 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

As of right now, Brazil's daily deaths exceed America's. It's probably going to happen eventually, the USA not having the most deaths anymore. 

On worldometers look at number of confirmed cases in Brazil v level of tests - it’s totally out of control there - going to be really bad I think.

Well, if you make Trump’s corona response look good in comparison, you know it’s going to be awful...

58 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

If any place is going to have the dreaded second wave ( and third, and fourth etc) it will be the States with their random, asynchronous re-opening. They're  not done with this yet.

Yeah, but as I was saying in the Sickest Deadpool thread - there's compensations

My fungal infection on one big toe is being blitzed by finally wandering around barefoot whilst furloughed - I can't be the only one on the planet watching fungus recede in the sun, or summat!

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

On worldometers look at number of confirmed cases in Brazil v level of tests - it’s totally out of control there - going to be really bad I think.

Grim down south

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Grim down south

Yeah, if the trees in the rain forest cold speak - they'd be cheering now!

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, if the trees in the rain forest cold speak - they'd be cheering now!

Actually deforesting is higher than ever because no one can stop the criminals from doing that illegally in an efficient way with the virus and if anyone tries to hard the corrupt president fires them shamelessly anyway like he did with the health ministers that were doing well to contain the virus. Please don't think killing a bunch of inocent elderly people in the cities will make things go less bad with the Amazon, it may make it worse if the president manages to use this to start a facist dictatorship, since he was involved in the Amazon fires last year and won't let anyone stop it.

Also the US numbers are bigger today now so I guess they just weren't updated, may still be surpassed but that will be really hard with the almost 2 million counted cases and the american southern still wanting to reopen despite that (could still happen).

About Brazil though, despite the numbers the Mayors and Governor's response was actually surprisingly good, even from the corrupt ones somehow so that may have saved some lives if not for the demented president flat out lying to people on tv and online, trying to block measures, saying it doesnt exist, coughing on people after spending time with a commitive full of infected, etc (he's also invoved with Rio militias so he's not just an idiot like he may look like, more like an actual crime boss)

Also paying his online marketing militia to spread disinformation:they spread lies through whatsapp to trick the older and poorer people with fake news like "my cousin got blown up by a truck tire and they marked as covid" or that its a communist conspiracy against the president specifically (as in the entire world is conspiring together against him and his followers only) and they were shown to use twitter bots too who all say the same texts etc. It worries me too that the rest of the world will throw under the rug the reasons of it going bad here and not give a shit because of the prejudice that Brazil is a crime infested shithole when its actually a country full of inocent people like any other country in South America. The silver lining is that the president lost a massive ton of support here, and without the pandemics he probably would already have striked his dictatorship attempt since he was organizing "protests" against legistlative and judiciary that flunked because of that.

4 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

If any place is going to have the dreaded second wave ( and third, and fourth etc) it will be the States with their random, asynchronous re-opening. They're  not done with this yet.

Sweden doesn't have a lockdown and the numbers also went down and are currently very stable at about 400-500 new daily cases. Germany re-opened the country a few weeks ago and the numbers are still going down. Some "experts" warned about a second wave when we opened our country but it didn't happened at all.

Protect the care homes (deliver more tests for the personal), forbid large-scale events with more than 50 people until August and ventilate pubs, resteraunts and schools. If the government ensures these things the situation will stay just fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scarar said:

Actually deforesting is higher than ever because no one can stop the criminals from doing that illegally in an efficient way with the virus and if anyone tries to hard the corrupt president fires them shamelessly anyway like he did with the health ministers that were doing well to contain the virus. Please don't think killing a bunch of inocent elderly people in the cities will make things go less bad with the Amazon, it may make it worse if the president manages to use this to start a facist dictatorship, since he was involved in the Amazon fires last year and won't let anyone stop it.

Also the US numbers are bigger today now so I guess they just weren't updated, may still be surpassed but that will be really hard with the almost 2 million counted cases and the american southern still wanting to reopen despite that (could still happen).

About Brazil though, despite the numbers the Mayors and Governor's response was actually surprisingly good, even from the corrupt ones somehow so that may have saved some lives if not for the demented president flat out lying to people on tv and online, trying to block measures, saying it doesnt exist, coughing on people after spending time with a commitive full of infected, etc (he's also invoved with Rio militias so he's not just an idiot like he may look like, more like an actual crime boss)

Also paying his online marketing militia to spread disinformation:they spread lies through whatsapp to trick the older and poorer people with fake news like "my cousin got blown up by a truck tire and they marked as covid" or that its a communist conspiracy against the president specifically (as in the entire world is conspiring together against him and his followers only) and they were shown to use twitter bots too who all say the same texts etc. It worries me too that the rest of the world will throw under the rug the reasons of it going bad here and not give a shit because of the prejudice that Brazil is a crime infested shithole when its actually a country full of inocent people like any other country in South America. The silver lining is that the president lost a massive ton of support here, and without the pandemics he probably would already have striked his dictatorship attempt since he was organizing "protests" against legistlative and judiciary that flunked because of that.

You made an account to bleat on about environmental matters in the midst of a global pandemic that is slashing emissions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prophet said:

If the government ensures these things the situation will stay just fine.

ZCIHpYrdSwndjPVoL9.gif

xTiTnHXbRoaZ1B1Mo8.gif

2 hours ago, Prophet said:

Protect the care homes (deliver more tests for the personal), forbid large-scale events with more than 50 people until August and ventilate pubs, resteraunts and schools.

Most schools in the Usa have more than 500+ kids,so a bunch of kids on a playground will be a Petrie dish for new cases.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Most schools in the Usa have more than 500+ kids,so a bunch of kids on a playground will be a Petrie dish for new cases.

The risk to get infected outside like for example on a playground is very low.

4 minutes ago, Prophet said:

The risk to get infected outside like for example on a playground is very low.

I am sure the paedos outside the playgrounds will wear masks anyway. Just in case. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

I am sure the paedos outside the playgrounds will wear masks anyway. Just in case. 

See the source imageThey'll still be quite obvious even with their masks on!

• Haha 1