paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Or more accurately, in the grand scheme of things we are a country made up predominantly of twats who’d rather get a suntan than live beyond July. 

Some folk, aye. My approach is akin to the second verse of Brave Sir Robin from the Holy Grail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

You suppose wrong.

97212962-3359-41BA-AC11-8D64137F2E0B.thumb.jpeg.2dc43c1401dde73bb5b85423a18ed686.jpeg

According to this, anyway. I have seen one source that states it’s worse in Belgium. Irregularities innit.

You should leave the stats to Paddytwat,  he can then give you chapter and fucking verse on the intricacies of it.

What bothers me is exactly how we are recording these deaths.

My mates wife is a nurse on the Coronavirus A&E and, basically, you can be wheeled in with heart failure and die but you will also be recorded as a death from Corona if you tested positive.

In effect, the virus does not necessarily kill them but, because you have it, it goes on to the stats as a cause or 'contributing factor' to the death.

This is plainly wrong and, moreover, skews the virus death rate a lot.

This does not negate the fact that we have useless cunts in charge of this crisis but, again, because they are so fucking inept, perhaps they have monumentally fucked up the real death rates because they have gone for a 'one size fits all' approach.

Well, they have fucked everything else up, haven't they!

• Like 3

I agree, it's all meaningless. 

47 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You should leave the stats to Paddytwat,  he can then give you chapter and fucking verse on the intricacies of it.

What bothers me is exactly how we are recording these deaths.

My mates wife is a nurse on the Coronavirus A&E and, basically, you can be wheeled in with heart failure and die but you will also be recorded as a death from Corona if you tested positive.

In effect, the virus does not necessarily kill them but, because you have it, it goes on to the stats as a cause or 'contributing factor' to the death.

This is plainly wrong and, moreover, skews the virus death rate a lot.

This does not negate the fact that we have useless cunts in charge of this crisis but, again, because they are so fucking inept, perhaps they have monumentally fucked up the real death rates because they have gone for a 'one size fits all' approach.

Well, they have fucked everything else up, haven't they!

That's why sensible people only look at excess deaths, which come out later. 50k excess deaths shows you that this should be taken seriously.

11 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Aaron Ramsdale of Bournemouth FC has contracted the virus after initially being told he was negative.

You make it sound like there was a mistake.  They are tested twice a week.  He didn't have it before, but he does now.

"The 22-year-old says that he was asymptomatic and had returned a negative test on May 18 before testing positive on Friday.

There were two positive tests from the latest round of Covid-19 testing among Premier League players and staff, with the other test coming from a different club ................... Bournemouth said in its statement on Saturday: “Following strict adherence of the Premier League’s return to training regulations, the club’s training ground remains a safe working environment for players and backroom staff, who will continue to be tested for Covid-19 twice per week.” "

There is a rumour that Spitting Image is to make a return with appropriate social distancing and no spitting or coughing. The Boris Johnson puppet is to be a blubbering indecisive ventriloquist's dummy operated rectally by Dominic Cummings. Apparently rehearsals have already begun but without the voice actors or puppets.

• Like 1

I’m wondering - was it necessary for midgets to maintain a 6 foot distance?

Who broke the worldometers table of countries on their website?

It wont load for me :(

If blacks and latinos are so badly affected by the virus and have an unequal number of deaths than whites, why is it that Africa and South America have a lower rate of deaths per number of infections than Europe and North America?

You would think that particularly Africa would be devastated by the numbers of deaths and yet there are relatively few.

2 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

If blacks and latinos are so badly affected by the virus and have an unequal number of deaths than whites, why is it that Africa and South America have a lower rate of deaths per number of infections than Europe and North America?

You would think that particularly Africa would be devastated by the numbers of deaths and yet there are relatively few.

It could have something to do with Vitamin D deficiency. 

Apparently the principal source of Vit D is exposure to sun, but the darker the skin, the more difficult it is for the body to absorb Vit D.

This is a reason why people in colder climates evolved lighter skin - to make the most of the lesser amount of exposure to sun.

So dark skin in hot climate works OK, but dark skin in cold climate not so well.

Vitamin D helps the body fight respiratory infection, so if you are deficient in it you are likely to be more vulnerable to Covid.

Also Brazil is steadily climbing in the death toll because of how awful Bolsonaro is...

So I thought yesterday's 1000+ deaths in Mexico were an accounting anomaly parallel to what France did when they counted care home fatalities, but no, today Mexico is already again at 800+ already.

So in terms of pure intensity, the USA, Brazil and Mexico are in that exclusive club of 1000+ daily deaths.

The UK, Spain and France (except for that one day) managed to escape it narrowly.

Spain is currently doing an accounting trick though - which is why the death count suddenly collapsed. Apparently, they don't count cases where confirmation takes more than 24hrs (because it's not a "daily death" or something...).

Also, the way worldometers is now showing the case numbers and deaths, it curiously shows that new daily cases keep increasing, i.e. the pandemic is accelerating, but the number of daily deaths is slowly decreasing.... accounting tricks!

37 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Spain is currently doing an accounting trick though - which is why the death count suddenly collapsed. Apparently, they don't count cases where confirmation takes more than 24hrs (because it's not a "daily death" or something...).

Yeah this is totally based on their desire to get their tourist season up and running - it's a disgrace really.

As for Mexico and Brazil if you compare their tested cases v their actual cases it's obvious that testing in wider population is non existent - I think their numbers could still be on a steep upward curve and could exceed US. 

The countries that are interesting are in the Middle East where cases are high but death very low - Qatar being the most striking. 

Suggests that there is a temperature/sunshine level at which the disease is less deadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

The countries that are interesting are in the Middle East where cases are high but death very low - Qatar being the most striking. 

Suggests that there is a temperature/sunshine level at which the disease is less deadly.

Could be the warm air slows down the infections into the lungs and gives a better chance of recovery.

This may also be helping the Med countries as the warm air of summer starts to get to them.

Of course here in the UK we never get summer so we will all die.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 00:24, The Old Crem said:

I thought that was the queue for the McDonalds drive through.

• Haha 2

If anyone wants to know how hard it is to get a test in India. This Youtuber who I follow and lives with his Indian wife in Deli and spent three days trying to get tested. One hospital admitting that they only test 50 patients a day:

If you get redirected all over the place for a middle class man in India, imagine if you are poor. There is a lot of undertesting going on.

• Like 1

Oh also while trying to get more face masks from stores this morning, the guys told me they only have 20 boxes of masks right now for the whole hospital and are rationing them (we ordered 3 boxes last week and only got 1).

Next week it will be mandatory for admin/reception staff to wear a mask and i've had no orders from above so to speak (other than what I see on BBC News etc) and the masks we should wear are different to the staff who deal with patients. Apparently they havn't arrived yet.

One place to keep an eye on: South Africa has doubled its cases since the end of May. Not yet reflected in deaths but we know it takes a while to catch up. Fat lot of good that alcohol/tobacco ban did, then. Also Chile, into the Top 20 almost out of nowhere. Could be that Latin America and southern Africa are the areas to keep an eye on.  

4 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

One place to keep an eye on: South Africa has doubled its cases since the end of May. Not yet reflected in deaths but we know it takes a while to catch up. Fat lot of good that alcohol/tobacco ban did, then. Also Chile, into the Top 20 almost out of nowhere. Could be that Latin America and southern Africa are the areas to keep an eye on.  

Covid seems to be spreading out across South America now  - possibly Bolsonaro related - with the notable exception of Uruguay, who have a bit of a reputation for being bizarrely sensible for a South American country.

• Like 2

Indian sub continent has been climbing the table as well with India, Pakistan and Bangladesh going up in leaps and bounds.