paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 15/08/2020 at 21:39, The Old Crem said:

Because of course, what's needed most is a massive rebranding exercise with a side order of disruption...

My application to be a volunteer to test the virus vaccine has been accepted, I just need to wait to see if I qualify for the relevant group. (old and decripit)

5 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

My application to be a volunteer to test the virus vaccine has been accepted, I just need to wait to see if I qualify for the relevant group. (old and decripit)

How do you apply to be a volunteer? I wouldn’t mind offering myself as a volunteer to test the virus 

18 minutes ago, Steve said:

How do you apply to be a volunteer? I wouldn’t mind offering myself as a volunteer to test the virus 

https://www.bepartofresearch.nihr.ac.uk/vaccine-studies/

I first read about it yesterday on the BBC website and followed the links from that but this is the link I got in the thanks for signing up email in which was also this statement

There is no guarantee you'll be contacted to be part of vaccine studies. If you are not contacted, this will be because researchers already have the mix of people they need.

It's a numbers game, the more folk that apply the more chance they will get the right number of people in certain groups.

5 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

https://www.bepartofresearch.nihr.ac.uk/vaccine-studies/

I first read about it yesterday on the BBC website and followed the links from that but this is the link I got in the thanks for signing up email in which was also this statement

There is no guarantee you'll be contacted to be part of vaccine studies. If you are not contacted, this will be because researchers already have the mix of people they need.

It's a numbers game, the more folk that apply the more chance they will get the right number of people in certain groups.

Thank you very much indeed for this information, greatly appreciated torbrexbones. Even if they don’t contact me I will feel as though I have done my put putting my name forward to try and help in this pandemic. 

1 hour ago, torbrexbones said:

Thinking about it, but as I live out in the sticks it might become a PITA having to make so many hospital visits.   There's never enough parking space, not to mention the cost.  If I lived in town, I would do it.

I really do think it is safe to say now that this is all over bar the shouting and we can all get back to normal. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Steve said:

I really do think it is safe to say now that this is all over bar the shouting and we can all get back to normal. 

Couldnt agree more

2 hours ago, Steve said:

What makes you say that? The global confirmed COVID deaths tally is stuck at about 6000 per day, same as it's been for months. 

It seems to have ebbed in the UK for now, partly due to a local change in the definition of a COVID death, but most people (more than 99%) live in the rest of the world. Overall mortality rates are still higher than normal in the USA, Brazil etc, and a vaccine is still many months away (unless you're in Russia, and fond of high stakes gambling).

On 30/01/2020 at 00:15, the_engineer said:

Tomorrow is a big one to look out for. This virus has matched the projection below and another one aswell so far ,infact the death toll is higher. If the cases are close to 10500 to 11000 and death toll over 200 in tomorrows update then this starts to get serious. People will begin to panic.

EPadpcZX4AAq8t1.jpeg

Very interesting. Even though this prediction was way off regarding the rate/speed/ dates of the spread of the disease, the real numbers are actually more scary than originally predicted. Just looked today, August 20th 2020, and the total reported cases were 22,698,145 with 793,289 deaths. Less infected, but more deaths. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Very interesting. Even though this prediction was way off regarding the rate/speed of the spread of the disease, the real numbers are actually more scary than originally predicted. Just looked today, August 20th 2020, and the total reported cases were 22,698,145 with 793,289 deaths. 

... That prediction suggested a similar toll around the 20th of February to the total toll so far. It's out by 6 months.

I never got accepted for the vaccine trials, turns out that I am not too old but I am too decripit.

Anyone thinking about applying should not that while the form is a simple one for the second stage, there is very little space to list any meds that you may be taking, I filled the box and still had 8 more to list.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, torbrexbones said:

I never got accepted for the vaccine trials, turns out that I am not too old but I am too decripit.

Anyone thinking about applying should not that while the form is a simple one for the second stage, there is very little space to list any meds that you may be taking, I filled the box and still had 8 more to list.

I am genuinely sorry to hear your news. I was really hoping you would have been accepted. 

Global cases now gone passed 25 million according to Worldometers 

Any thoughts as to when we might reach a million deaths? At the current rate it seems we might get there in around three weeks or so. Then again, we've almost certainly had it already, but that's another story. The 'official' figures for countries like Yemen and Sudan are absurdly low. Testing is pretty much non-existent in that part of the world. I saw a news report from Yemen a few weeks ago; they were digging mass graves then. 

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Any thoughts as to when we might reach a million deaths? At the current rate it seems we might get there in around three weeks or so. Then again, we've almost certainly had it already, but that's another story. The 'official' figures for countries like Yemen and Sudan are absurdly low. Testing is pretty much non-existent in that part of the world. I saw a news report from Yemen a few weeks ago; they were digging mass graves then. 

Currently we're 130k off the official million. If we average 6000 deaths per day we'll get there in 22 days, if 5000 per day we'll get there in 26. I'd reckon sometime between September 23rd and 30th.

EDIT: Maybe a bit earlier if we see a second wave in Europe.

Til death do you part.

Someone brought a wedding gift that keeps on giving.

At least 147 COVID cases, inc 3 dead now, from a single indoor wedding Aug 7.

SC

• Facepalm 1

Not sure if there is something wrong with Worldometers but the deaths have jumped from 887,630 to 893,130 which seems quite a big jump for this time of the day.

18 minutes ago, Steve said:

Not sure if there is something wrong with Worldometers but the deaths have jumped from 887,630 to 893,130 which seems quite a big jump for this time of the day.

Ecuador have announced they miscounted 3, 700 covid deaths by not adding "rapid test cases" to the death total.

All the politicians are acting surprised that the infection rate is rising again and yet it was them that eased the restrictions.

The lockdown should have lasted at least another month and international air travel should not have been re-started at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

All the politicians are acting surprised that the infection rate is rising again and yet it was them that eased the restrictions.

The lockdown should have lasted at least another month and international air travel should not have been re-started at all.

Yeah, I dunno about you but I find it extremely surprising that the government’s plan to keep cases down by sending every cunt back to work and bribing them to eat at restaurants as much as possible appears not to have worked.

But it’s okay, because Matt ‘cock can just go on Jeremy Vine or BBC Breakfast and blame students for the virus’ resurgence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

international air travel should not have been re-started at all

This. 

And don't start me on that woman calling out people on her plane as covidiots for not wearing masks, that may well be so, but what was she doing on it in the first place?

Now even I am prepared to accept that some air travel might just be necessary, a scientific meeting with samples for a vaccine or something like that. But where was this plane coming from? Yes, Zante that Greek holiday island which afaik is not renowned for it's scientific conferences.

Look, if you really have to do it, do it, it's selfish and unnecessary but hey others doing daft things too. But for fucks sake don't then put your name in the national media calling others out for their even worse idiocy, your hypocrisy is staggering.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

Now even I am prepared to accept that some air travel might just be necessary, a scientific meeting with samples for a vaccine or something like that. But where was this plane coming from? Yes, Zante that Greek holiday island which afaik is not renowned for it's scientific conferences.

Although now I have the imagine in my mind of a sozzled professor on Zante saying "Chaps, I think we picked the wrong venue for our scientific conference. Hic!"

• Haha 1

30 deaths in the UK today, which seems like a hell of a jump from recent weeks of 2s and 3s.

Yeah, the infection rate has been going up for a while but we've been told it's mostly young people, as long as they don't infect older family members it should be OK. Well we're starting to see the second spike bite in western Europe now. 32 dead in Britain, 78 in Spain and 38 in France. Only Germany, as ever, seems immune.