paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The murder/divorce/suicide/domestic violence rates in the UK will now explode after this sinks in: 

BBC suspends TV soap filming 

Filming for popular UK soap operas has been suspended following the latest government measures to curb coronavirus.

The BBC said production on EastEnders, Casualty, Doctors, Holby City, Welsh drama Pobol y Cwm and BBC Scotland's River City will all be halted.

Meanwhile EastEnders' episodes will now just air on Mondays at 8pm and Tuesdays at 7:30pm with immediate effect. This is to make the existing recorded episodes last as long as possible.

3 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Filming for popular UK soap operas has been suspended

River City will all be halted.

Does not compute.

8 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

EastEnders' episodes will now just air on Mondays at 8pm and Tuesdays at 7:30pm with immediate effect. This is to make the existing recorded episodes last as long as possible.

To steal a joke @Roaming_Comrade made on the Notable Victim thread and combine with the above news.

EastEnders' to only air twice a week from now on but CORONAtion Street will be on 3 times a day.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I’m not going to say my source, just in case it’s not true (it’s reliable enough to be of concern, though) but I’ve heard the lockdown will be announced tomorrow.

I'd be amazed if it was that soon that's when the ill and elderly restrictions are due to come into force isn't it......

Kind of makes a mockery of telling the ill and elderly to stay at home to then tell everybody else to do the same thing before you've brought the ill and elderly restrictions in place.

30 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I'd be amazed if it was that soon that's when the ill and elderly restrictions are due to come into force isn't it......

Kind of makes a mockery of telling the ill and elderly to stay at home to then tell everybody else to do the same thing before you've brought the ill and elderly restrictions in place.

Announced doesn’t necessarily mean in action.

The actual lockdown will probably come into force a week or two afterwards.

Basically, much like the outbreak itself, their reactions are escalating every day. The only thing that’s surprising is the restrictions we have in place right this minute took this long to be actioned.

1 hour ago, theoldlady said:

Sadly Norway has its 4th death. :rip: We are shut down. Most of us are working from home. The shit will hit the fan soon. Keep safe there in Danmark. I have a niece and her family there. Worried. 

No curfew but a lot of restrictions - everything is basically closed (besides supermarkets and pharmacists), and no one is allowed to gather 10 people or more We're doing our party, and your family is safe and sound!

Sorry about the 4th loss of life in Norway. Glad, us Nordic countries, are taking this seriously, and are in complete shutdown. Stay safe!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Announced doesn’t necessarily mean in action.

The actual lockdown will probably come into force a week or two afterwards.

Basically, much like the outbreak itself, their reactions are escalating every day. The only thing that’s surprising is the restrictions we have in place right this minute took this long to be actioned.

I could see it coming in sooner than that, but I suppose it will be the same as this initial stage - with things drip fed to the public via unofficial channels to get us used to the new reality.

But god knows what the other side of this all looks like if we go into lockdown, unless some very expensive steps such as rent and utility holidays are taken by the government. 

9 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I could see it coming in sooner than that, but I suppose it will be the same as this initial stage - with things drip fed to the public via unofficial channels to get us used to the new reality.

But god knows what the other side of this all looks like if we go into lockdown, unless some very expensive steps such as rent and utility holidays are taken by the government. 

We’ll need rent/mortgage holidays, we’ll need utilities paid, fuck, look at how many people have a car on PCP (me included).

A lot of people in employment (ones that aren’t self-employed or zero-hour) might be able to stay paid if the treasury can keep businesses able to do so. But if not, SSP won’t do.

And, best case scenario, most of us still get paid and have deference on their bills; the country/world will awake from its dormant state to a recession, the scale of which hitherto unknown to the modern developed world.

So all in all, we’re on to a winner! 

35 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

We’ll need rent/mortgage holidays, we’ll need utilities paid, fuck, look at how many people have a car on PCP (me included).

A lot of people in employment (ones that aren’t self-employed or zero-hour) might be able to stay paid if the treasury can keep businesses able to do so. But if not, SSP won’t do.

And, best case scenario, most of us still get paid and have deference on their bills; the country/world will awake from its dormant state to a recession, the scale of which hitherto unknown to the modern developed world.

So all in all, we’re on to a winner! 

Yup. I think the government knows a lot of this but is reluctant to do it until people start to see the scale of the enemy for fear of being seen as too exuberant and suffering.

I do get the increasing feeling that we're going to go into some sort of lockdown in the next few weeks. At the point it doesn't even matter whether your being paid or not the number of people with mental health problems and financial problems will sky-rocket. 

• Like 1

Tae a virus

Twa months ago, we didna ken,

yer name or ocht aboot ye

But lots of things have changed since then,

I really must salute ye

Yer spreading rate is quite intense,

yer feeding like a gannet

Disruption caused, is so immense,

ye’ve shaken oor wee planet.

Corona used tae be a beer,

they garnished it wae limes

But noo it’s filled us awe wae fear

These days, are scary times.

Nae shakin hawns, or peckin lips,

it’s whit they awe advise

But scrub them weel, richt tae the tips, that’s how we’ll awe survive

Just stay inside , the hoose, ye bide

Nae sneakin oot for strolls

Just check the lavvy every hoor

And stock-take, your, loo rolls

Our holidays have been pit aff

Noo that’s the Jet2 patter

Pit oan yer thermals, have a laugh

And paddle ‘ doon the waater ‘

Canary isles, no for a while

Nae need for suntan cream

And awe because o this wee bug

We ken tae be..19

The boredom surely will set in,

But have a read, or doodle

Or plan yer menu for the month

Wi 95 pot noodles.

When these run oot, just look aboot

A change, it would be nice

We’ve beans and pasta

By the ton and twenty stane o rice.

So dinny think yell wipe us oot

Aye true, a few have died

Bubonic, bird flu, and Tb

They came, they left, they tried

Ye might be gallus noo ma freen

As ye jump fae cup tae cup

But when we get oor vaccine made

Yer number will be up.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bentrovato said:

The murder/divorce/suicide/domestic violence rates in the UK will now explode after this sinks in: 

Filming for popular UK soap operas has been suspended following the latest government measures to curb coronavirus.

The BBC said production on EastEnders, Casualty, Doctors, Holby City, Welsh drama Pobol y Cwm and BBC Scotland's River City will all be halted.

Meanwhile EastEnders' episodes will now just air on Mondays at 8pm and Tuesdays at 7:30pm with immediate effect. This is to make the existing recorded episodes last as long as possible.

Well at least that's a bit of good news. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Yup. I think the government knows a lot of this but is reluctant to do it until people start to see the scale of the enemy for fear of being seen as too exuberant and suffering.

I do get the increasing feeling that we're going to go into some sort of lockdown in the next few weeks. At the point it doesn't even matter whether your being paid or not the number of people with mental health problems and financial problems will sky-rocket. 

So my source says higher ups in the police force and the army have been briefed that the announcement of a nationwide lockdown is likely to happen tomorrow. That could mean as early as Monday. 

Sunak did say this £330bn will only be a start. He’s right. He’s probably gonna need to treble that.

Update 

December 1st 2019 - march 6th 2020. How long it took to go from 0- 100k infected

March 6th - 18th 2020 how long it took to go from 100 - 200k infected 

8141 dead 

March 15th to march 18th 2020. How long it took to go from 6000 to 8000 dead

22 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

So my source says higher ups in the police force and the army have been briefed that the announcement of a nationwide lockdown is likely to happen tomorrow. That could mean as early as Monday. 

Sunak did say this £330bn will only be a start. He’s right. He’s probably gonna need to treble that.

Is your source reliable? Because that is fucking terrifyingly early?

I guess you've no details on how food works during this? Still allowed to grocery store or delivered rationing (I'm pretty sure I read years ago we had a plan in place for state of emergency that included ration delivery.)

7 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Is your source reliable? Because that is fucking terrifyingly early?

I guess you've no details on how food works during this? Still allowed to grocery store or delivered rationing (I'm pretty sure I read years ago we had a plan in place for state of emergency that included ration delivery.)

The Monday bit is purely speculation, but the announcement of intent to lock the country down is looking increasingly certain. But yes, I’m willing to believe it, he’s one of those that has been briefed.

The extent of the lockdown remains to be seen; it could be as drastic as we fear, it probably won’t be, but it’s certainly big.

3 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

The Monday bit is purely speculation, but the announcement of intent to lock the country down is looking increasingly certain. But yes, I’m willing to believe it, he’s one of those that has been briefed.

The extent of the lockdown remains to be seen; it could be as drastic as we fear, it probably won’t be, but it’s certainly big.

Well the schools are closing in Scotland and Wales that's the first step towards lockdown .

44 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

The emergency powers act has the power to arrest anyone with symptoms and quarantine them, I wouldn't be surprised if there was additional powers to arrest anybody for leaving their homes coming soon. 

Death toll finally slowing down - hallelujah! We can start getting back into the real world again and getting on with our lives 

20 minutes ago, Steve said:

Death toll finally slowing down - hallelujah! We can start getting back into the real world again and getting on with our lives 

... this joke is getting a bit old.

Just so everyone's clear, the worldwide death toll is currently increasing day by day. (Up by over 800 yesterday)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

... this joke is getting a bit old.

Just so everyone's clear, the worldwide death toll is currently increasing day by day. (Up by over 800 yesterday)

He's clearly talking about his own country, which is much further along in the process than us...

But only up by 200 today 

Finally silenced you Deathray 

In the US I’m pretty sure there are many unreported new diagnosis of COVID-19, and many people are predicting that the disease hasn’t peaked in the US. So yeah, this is far from over (plus it’s only morning in the US, so numbers could increase more)... 

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

The emergency powers act has the power to arrest anyone with symptoms and quarantine them, I wouldn't be surprised if there was additional powers to arrest anybody for leaving their homes coming soon. 

There’ll probably have to be some kind of permit-based access to the outside world for those who can leave the house, and maybe even some controls on who can get shopping in at any given point.

UK figures update: 104 dead (up 33), 2,626 cases (up 676). Now the upward curve is getting steeper still, the lockdown will come as less of a surprise.