paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 06/02/2020 at 10:18, paddyfool said:

Dr Li Wenliang, a whistleblower who helped to initially raise the alarm about this Wuhan outbreak back in December 2019, has died from his own coronavirus infection at the young age of 34.

Today marks a year since his death.  
And a year and 7 days from my saying I should use him in my February DL Cup entry, but cut him at the very end.  I must go on lamenting passing up being the first person with a COVID-related hit.

SC

Hindsight is a marvellous thing, It is an education to read the early comments on this thread. I think that we have reached the stage where the deaths per case are of the order of 2% minimum, there being large numbers of unrecorded deaths and asymptomatic cases (the latter don't really count). This would have been worse without the vaccine effort and isolation lockdowns, some countries have performed better than others. Politics, location, border control and population behaviour all having noticeable effects. Currently in the UK risks are approaching manageable levels, like flu. Global attitudes are evolving to mitigate the risks the world is a changing place.

11 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Hindsight is a marvellous thing, It is an education to read the early comments on this thread. I think that we have reached the stage where the deaths per case are of the order of 2% minimum, there being large numbers of unrecorded deaths and asymptomatic cases (the latter don't really count). This would have been worse without the vaccine effort and isolation lockdowns, some countries have performed better than others. Politics, location, border control and population behaviour all having noticeable effects. Currently in the UK risks are approaching manageable levels, like flu. Global attitudes are evolving to mitigate the risks the world is a changing place.

Yes, fascinating, isn't it?

The correct number, i.e. including excess mortality, will be in the 10.000.000-100.000.000 range (India alone has an excess mortality of more than four million). Four people got it right in our poll, though maybe some have changed their vote after some time? Was anybode right fro the start? Even Engineer's numbers were a little too low at the beginning. Only the Old Crem was too high, for now.

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Yes, fascinating, isn't it?

The correct number, i.e. including excess mortality, will be in the 10.000.000-100.000.000 range (India alone has an excess mortality of more than four million). Four people got it right in our poll, though maybe some have changed their vote after some time? Was anybode right fro the start? Even Engineer's numbers were a little too low at the beginning. Only the Old Crem was too high, for now.

The four that voted 10 million plus were, JiroemonKimura, the Old Lady, Paul Bearer and the Old Crem all voting on the same date.  January 29th 2020. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29 January 2020 at 05:58, GMsohum said:

Coronavirus is not so deadly. It will be overcome in less than a month's time.

Care to re-evaluate your statement? 

I’d like to commend the U.K., with 1/9 the population of the USA figured out a way to have 1/5 the COVID deaths.  That means you managed to outdo Trump America by 175%.  Insert golf clap.

SC

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I’d like to commend the U.K., with 1/9 the population of the USA figured out a way to have 1/5 the COVID deaths.  That means you managed to outdo Trump America by 175%.  Insert golf clap.

SC

Your maths are shit - I’ll play teacher.

Number of deaths UK/USA 130k/635k = c 1/5

Correct well done Sir Creep.

Population UK/USA  68m/333m  = c 1/5

oh your 1/9 was quite a lot wrong - keep trying and you’ll get better.

It's still pretty bad that Boris’s UK have as many pro rata covid deaths as Trump’s America but not surprising.

GUN

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Your maths are shit

Though you may have to use 'your math is shit' for it to register. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Worldometer deaths per million stats

UK and US at 20 and 21 on the table virtually identical. The US have been catching up of late, I'm sure if it was the like the Olympics the US would find a way to manipulate the results. 

In the absence of math ability they could use a reliable source to quote like Fox News.

5 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Look like the 8.7% in this poll that chose 10m+ were correct

Covid: World’s true pandemic death toll nearly 15 million, says WHO

Well done to me, the old lady, old crem and JiroemonKimura.  Sorry youth in Asia, your vote doesn't count as it was only made 4 hours ago.  Better luck next pandemic. 

• Haha 1