The Great Cornholio

Dead Relatives - old photos from the 20th century and before

On 12/05/2020 at 13:02, the_engineer said:

I'm related to this guy we share a common ancestor. Not a direct descendant but there's some cousin connection with the isle of man. I know my grandmothers mother's family were from the isle of man .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Taubman_Goldie

Screenshot_20200512-130239~2.jpg

I have probably  taught distant relatives of yours, there were a couple of Goldies  at the school I taught at. 

This is my only relative of note, again not a direct decedent, think his grandfather and my great great-grandfather  were brothers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Plant

45 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I have probably  taught distant relatives of yours, there were a couple of Goldies  at the school I taught at. 

This is my only relative of note, again not a direct decedent, think his grandfather and my great great-grandfather  were brothers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Plant

Wow awesome. I think it was my ancestor and his ancestor were sisters . I'd love to know more about each branch of my family tree. But once you hit mid 1800s it becomes very hard.

My father Richard and his elder brother John taken 1928.

1885305902_JohnRichard1928.jpg.96f7d913c2c597b3f836062480223bb1.jpg

• Like 4

Before you ask, no this is not a dirty piece of card.

This is a picture of my great x3 grandfather. This was taken in the 1890s (not sure which year exactly). I don't know a lot about him but he was said to have been a poultry merchant. He was my mum's dad's dad's mum's dad. (The picture of my great x4 grandmother that I posted earlier was his mother).

As you can tell I was not the first person to handle this photograph, my great grandfather was really careless with everything he owned.

Harry Frank Summers (Faded).JPG

• Like 3

Just thought I'd mention this is a fascinating thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm related to this chap. He was my Grandads cousin. George's Dad Zach was the younger brother of my great Grandad John. John also named his oldest son Zac my Grandad older brother after him so Zac name runs in my family.

My Grandad was born in 1903 and died in 1982 from Parkinsons disease, but my Nan always made mention that my Grandad and George whilst knowing each other weren't overly close but fond of each other. Great Uncle Ben my Grandads younger brother was slightly more dismissive of George hinting to me that he was a bit of "wrong un" and very "camp". Of course History has born out that South Wales Police looked into historical evidence of abuse but Great Uncle Ben did say to me with knowing wink that I wasnt the 1st gay man in family history. 

Screenshot_20200519-055538_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 4

This chap is Matthew Thomas Wood, with his wife and children.   He is a distant relative of mine (first cousin three times removed). 

Poor Matthew met a gruesome end, blown to bits in 1915 when HMS Princess Irene exploded in Sheerness harbour.

But what a fine moustache he had!

2037300080_MatthewThomasWoodfamily.thumb.jpg.1a33cd3771e61a4e97f0506c54968c21.jpg

Name:     Matthew Thomas Wood
Birth Date:     9 Jan 1870
Birth Place:     Sheerness
Branch of Service:     Civilian
Cause of Death:     Killed or died by means other than disease, accident or enemy action
Official Number Port Division:     (Ch)
Death Date:     27 May 1915
Ship or Unit:     HMS Princess Irene
Location of Grave:     Not recorded
Name and Address of Cemetery:     Body Not Recovered For Burial
Relatives Notified and Address:     Mrs SAR Wood, 81, Alma Street, Sheerness

Royal Navy and Royal Marine War Graves Roll, 1914-1919

I am related to Matthew through my paternal grandfather's line, but I never knew my grandfather and never met anyone from his family.  I was sent some photos of Matthew by another family researcher.  There is another one with a group of men, probably work colleagues, but I don't know their names.  Matthew is back right.

1795357964_MatthewThomasWoodbackrt.thumb.jpg.5b7361d36c639167835c415645f09bd3.jpg

• Like 4

Thought I'd add to this one just for posterity.  My dad (on the right 1921-2003) with his pal (no idea who he is). I'm guessing he'd have been about 12, so this photo would have been taken about 1933. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

This is one of my dad Richard and his mother Kate taken at Broughty Ferry in 1928

515423263_Kate(Anderson)ColeRichardBroughtyFerry1925.jpg.bd2b001f4905b0a9dddf5b75dcc86baf.jpg

• Like 2

On the topic of having family lost in war, this is my great x2 grandfather (my dad's, dad's, dad's dad). He was shot down by a German machine gun within his first few weeks of being a soldier in WWI and he was buried in a mass grave in Flanders, France. This photo was taken just before he was taken to France.

John Mannion

B. 1882

D. 1914

John Mannion (1914) - Great Great Grandad.jpg

• Like 1

24th June 1939 my grandparents got married. Apparently my grandmother made this dress.

image.thumb.png.9391c47483f71d4807fe886cb65ef2b9.png

• Like 7

The Welsh side of my family. Left to right: My great grandmother (my mum's mum's mum), My great x2 grandmother and my great x2 uncle Bill.

They were from Llanbradach, a small mining town near Pontypridd about 30 mins drive from Cardiff. My great x2 grandparents had a total of 16 children (11 of which lived to see adulthood). My great x2 grandfather worked in the mines and his wife owned a sweet shop.

Louisa Turner, her brother and Mary Ann Bwye.jpg

• Like 3

My dad at his first communion. He was Catholic, I am not. We didn't actually know this picture existed until last year as he was always very secretive about his childhood.

WIN_20190627_19_51_50_Pro (2).jpg

• Like 4

Found 2 pictures of my great great grandmother (Edith Flowers - neé Summers - 1884 - 1969) in my uncle's attic.

Edith's husband, James Flowers, was one of the people who created the General Workers Union - along with Labour politician Ernest Bevin.

Edith Summers Portrait.JPG

Edith Summers.jpg

Edith and James Flowers.JPG

James H.E. Flowers.JPG

• Like 3

My Grandparents on dad's side, John and Kate, taken in 1946.

101323910_JohnGKate(Anderson)Cole1946.jpg.831f945c9d83750c34761691a86ea8b4.jpg

My mother Marjory and father Richard both taken in 1944.

1912050199_Marjory1944.jpg.c502c15e370baa3e4ecc6328b577285b.jpg

917005099_RichardintheArmyNow1944.jpg.a321e333d592b0c3922ff2b6c4f9bca1.jpg

• Like 3

My aunt just posted this on Facebook with the following caption:

The photo was taken on a day-trip from London to Hastings in 1954. My two grandmothers and an aunt are the first three ladies on the far right next to the gentleman (possibly the coach driver). I just love it and it always brings a smile to my face. So many lovely characters.

image.thumb.png.7500b089d8ef4f4b6c6b50906fef0adc.png

• Like 4

*when you try to tell your daughter some cool family facts, and she wants to watch Minecraft videos instead* :rolleyes:

Well I still have YOU as a captive audience!

My GGG-grandmother was Mary Reel, who was the daughter of Harry Reel, and who in turn was the son of Joseph Reel (my GGGGG grandfather), all of Sharpsburg, Maryland in the 1800s.

One day in American 1860’s history we had a Civil War thingy, and one of the wee battles (the deadliest day in American history - 22,717 died) took place in Sharpsburg: The Battle of Antietam. [An aside: There was only the Dunkard Church in the area so presumably my people were Dunkards (German Mennonites basically]. So the poor farmers minding their business found themselves getting the hell outta the way so the Union and Confederate troops could spend a lovely afternoon together.

Each side set up camp, and apparently Robert E Lee and his Rebel Yell southern troops took over the Reel farm as HQ of operations.  And as the wee skirmish became messy, the injured or worse were dragged to the Reel family barn as a makeshift battlefield hospital.  
The Antietam Civil War cemetery is located near this property (may be on it, hard to determine with certainty).

You know, maybe Minecraft and battlefields aren’t dissimilar after all.

And with that, a couple photos.

B1647E75-CEA6-478E-A204-D8F59F306E0A.jpeg

613DDEC8-E3BE-4F8F-BD71-6B83D6D33E41.jpeg

• Like 2

I think this is the oldest original photograph I have. It's my great-great grandmother Jane taken sometime in the 1880s. I am not sure which of her children that is, she had a dozen, though one may actually have been a grandchild being passed  off as a child, which was probably not that unusual at the time. 

gg.jpg

• Like 3

My brother Duncan would have been 63 today but he never made it this far.

807353100_Duncan1964.jpg.6c3865d369517f78d0acf08585750cd2.jpg

This was him in 1964, he died in 1983 and sadly I don't have any decent pictures of him when he was older.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 17/05/2020 at 19:53, Kenny McCormick said:

Before you ask, no this is not a dirty piece of card.

This is a picture of my great x3 grandfather. This was taken in the 1890s (not sure which year exactly). I don't know a lot about him but he was said to have been a poultry merchant. He was my mum's dad's dad's mum's dad. (The picture of my great x4 grandmother that I posted earlier was his mother).

As you can tell I was not the first person to handle this photograph, my great grandfather was really careless with everything he owned.

Harry Frank Summers (Faded).JPG

You can do some very good image recovery with modern software.

Anyone know what happened to the photos in my previous post (go up 3 or 4 posts) ???

My great-great grandparents, Dublin, around 1860.  

IMG-20210417-WA0004.jpg

• Like 2

Here is two photos of my great grandmother from June 2021. She's still fine, she was recently diagnosed with a tumor on her cheek (doctor seems to believe it's benign but she'll have further examination and operation in a few weeks). She's now 101 and 5 months : still walking, still reading (she has an excellent eyesight) but she's nearly deaf and has recently lost memories… She has lost her husband from lung cancer in the late 80's when she was in her 60's and her only daughter (my grandmother) from breast cancer in 2007 when she was 87. She immediately took her place in my family, being a lovely grandmother for her great-grandchildrens and a caring mother for both my mother and my aunt. I'm still impressed by how though and sweet she is, I love her very much and hope she will still be with us for some times … 

IMG_9828.PNG

Remini20210620232354501.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Here is two photos of my great grandmother from June 2021. She's still fine, she was recently diagnosed with a tumor on her cheek (doctor seems to believe it's benign but she'll have further examination and operation in a few weeks). She's now 101 and 5 months : still walking, still reading (she has an excellent eyesight) but she's nearly deaf and has recently lost memories… She has lost her husband from lung cancer in the late 80's when she was in her 60's and her only daughter (my grandmother) from breast cancer in 2007 when she was 87. She immediately took her place in my family, being a lovely grandmother for her great-grandchildrens and a caring mother for both my mother and my aunt. I'm still impressed by how though and sweet she is, I love her very much and hope she will still be with us for some times … 

IMG_9828.PNG

Remini20210620232354501.jpg

@Lafaucheuse... Thanks for sharing this with us.

I wish you and your great grandmother the absolute very best in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MariNisia said:

@Lafaucheuse... Thanks for sharing this with us.

I wish you and your great grandmother the absolute very best in the future.

Thanks a lot, that’s really sweet of you, I’ll keep you updated on her journey in the 100 club ! Thanks again :)

• Thanks 1