Ulitzer95

UK Singles Chart

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Interestingly @Ulitzer95 you might not be able to find Lyn(n) Cornell in birth records for Liverpool in 1940, because the clipping here seems to suggest she was born in 1936 (but what do they know?). Surely her marriage to Andy White in April 1962 might have a record somewhere which would indicate her dob? I dunno, I wouldn't know where to begin, think you have to register for Ancestry.

Edit: Remember the link: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/62-12-Ephemera-Margate-1963-Article-Lyn-Cornell-Dreamland-/382879128368

This one just gets more and more bizarre as well. I've used all the alternative spellings on her discogs page and nothing comes up between 1931 and 1945 in the birth index... She clearly wasn't born under this name.

I'll add "1936 or 1940" to page 1 in the meantime.

• Like 1

Update: Bingo! Her name is actually Audrey A. Cornett. Found her marriage to Andrew McLuckie White from 1962 in Liverpool here:

1637503365_ScreenShot2020-03-12at11_26_58.jpg.d5ed642a9bef05a1bcfbaba172289bee.jpg

The reverse of it here:

1572898864_ScreenShot2020-03-12at11_26_31.jpg.0d1714648bf99c670d6b1bdbcfcfd12c.jpg

Edit: And here is her birth. "Ann A. Cornett" born 3rd quarter 1936 in Liverpool. She flipped the names.

Evidently doesn't want to be found!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:
10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Interestingly @Ulitzer95 you might not be able to find Lyn(n) Cornell in birth records for Liverpool in 1940, because the clipping here seems to suggest she was born in 1936 (but what do they know?). Surely her marriage to Andy White in April 1962 might have a record somewhere which would indicate her dob? I dunno, I wouldn't know where to begin, think you have to register for Ancestry.

Edit: Remember the link: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/62-12-Ephemera-Margate-1963-Article-Lyn-Cornell-Dreamland-/382879128368

This one just gets more and more bizarre as well. I've used all the alternative spellings on her discogs page and nothing comes up between 1931 and 1945 in the birth index... She clearly wasn't born under this name.

There's a record of Andrew M White marrying Audrey A Cornett in 1962 and registered in Liverpool North.

There's a record of Ann A Cornett being born in 1936 and registered in Liverpool North.

:sherlock:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cat O'Falk said:

There's a record of Andrew M White marrying Audrey A Cornett in 1962 and registered in Liverpool North.

There's a record of Ann A Cornett being born in 1936 and registered in Liverpool North.

:sherlock:

See my above post :P

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

See my above post :P

:lol: That wasn't there when I posted. The last post was your "I'll add "1936 or 1940" to page 1 in the meantime."

It does that sometimes and it's bloody infuriating.  :tantrum:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 29/02/2020 at 10:40, gcreptile said:

That's going to be quite the undertaking, respect!

I wonder if Bob the Builder is still alive.

Well, one of them isn’t anymore. William Dufris, that is

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, one of them isn’t anymore. William Dufris, that is

When I read about his death I was actually a little bit offended to hear that the Americans have dubbed over our version.

I mean, it’s not like Bob the Builder has a fucking regional dialect?!

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 01:30, Ulitzer95 said:

The Collins Complete UK Hit Singles book says she was born in New York City in 1936. Couldn't find anything more online.

Yeah, it's consuming a lot of my free time! D has been quite successful. Just two "total blanks" – Charles Dickens (aka David Anthony) and Kenny Damon.

E is proving to be a nightmare though... loads of obscure "low hit" wonders!

Where we up to?

Few weeks ago I looked into Damon and Dickens. Literally nothing on Dickens, though David Anthony seems to be generally accepted as his birth name. Toured briefly with the Stones - who knows?

IIRC there was some mention on a site I can't remember which said that Damon also recorded as Kenny Roberts - seems to have come from some part of the North Americas and hey, probably returned there after the cabaret circuit dried up in Swinging London. Where are ya Kenny?!!!

Not wishing to sound like your dealer, but how are you for 'E's'? :lol:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Where we up to?

Few weeks ago I looked into Damon and Dickens. Literally nothing on Dickens, though David Anthony seems to be generally accepted as his birth name. Toured briefly with the Stones - who knows?

IIRC there was some mention on a site I can't remember which said that Damon also recorded as Kenny Roberts - seems to have come from some part of the North Americas and hey, probably returned there after the cabaret circuit dried up in Swinging London. Where are ya Kenny?!!!

Not wishing to sound like your dealer, but how are you for 'E's'? :lol:

Haha! Have a look at page one, I finished filling out “D” earlier, but I’m going to have to come back to it (I made notes on some obscure band members but the data is on my PC... which is at a different property from where I’m currently self isolating. May be another week before I get to it). Still, there are blanks with acts like The Drifters, so any help appreciated.

I have listed the acts for E, F, G, H & I in their sections. As I said, I’ve already done E (also on my PC... D’oh!). Can’t remember much sadly as it was a while ago. Just that I struggled with the members of The Ethiopians.

• Like 1

On 29/02/2020 at 20:03, Ulitzer95 said:

D

The Dennisons
Wiki UK Merseybeat band from Liverpool, Clive Hornby later became famous for playing Jack Sugden in Emmerdale
Terry Carson 02 Nov 1944 – 18 Sep 1991 (46)
Clive Hornby 20 Oct 1944 – 03 Jul 2008 (63) BBC obit
Steve McLaren 02 Sep 1945 – Feb 2007 (61)
Eddie Parry 30 Jan 1946 – Apr 1995 (49)
Ray Scragg 04 Aug 1946 – 07 Feb 2001 (54) Mention of death
15/08/1963 Be My Girl #46
07/05/1964 Walkin' the Dog #36

Out of all the bands I've researched so far for this, I think it's fair to say that these guys had the worst luck! :unsure:

Anyone heard of them?

42 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Haha! Have a look at page one, I finished filling out “D” earlier, but I’m going to have to come back to it (I made notes on some obscure band members but the data is on my PC... which is at a different property from where I’m currently self isolating. May be another week before I get to it). Still, there are blanks with acts like The Drifters, so any help appreciated.

I have listed the acts for E, F, G, H & I in their sections. As I said, I’ve already done E (also on my PC... D’oh!). Can’t remember much sadly as it was a while ago. Just that I struggled with the members of The Ethiopians.

According to Wiki, The Ethiopians were a duo when they recorded "Train To Skaville" (ch-ch-ch-beep beep - astonishing!). Leonard Dillon died 2011 and Wiiki also states that Steven Taylor died in a car crash in 1975, I believe this is vouched in Dillon's obituary.

Now for the backing band, they weren't in The Ethiopians however I assume you are looking for the members of The Jets?

You're looking at The Drifters? Jeez, now there is a band with changing line-ups! I'll have a scroll through D.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Out of all the bands I've researched so far for this, I think it's fair to say that these guys had the worst luck! :unsure:

Anyone heard of them?

Ah, yes, but only in passing.

The Dennisons appeared on various bills with The Beatles in the late 1962/early 1963 period. I'll have a look, see if I can find some bills.

Maybe only this from August 1963, but seems The Dennisons were on several bills including a Cavern Club appearance in January 1963.

Give them their due, even after the advent of Beatlemania, the Fabs were honouring their pre-bookings for shillings.

Image result for grafton rooms 1962 the beatles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

According to Wiki, The Ethiopians were a duo when they recorded "Train To Skaville" (ch-ch-ch-beep beep - astonishing!). Leonard Dillon died 2011 and Wiiki also states that Steven Taylor died in a car crash in 1975, I believe this is vouched in Dillon's obituary.

Now for the backing band, they weren't in The Ethiopians however I assume you are looking for the members of The Jets?

You're looking at The Drifters? Jeez, now there is a band with changing line-ups! I'll have a scroll through D.

Just looked at their Wiki page, and you’re quite correct. They were only a duo then. Collins’ UK Hit Singles book lists loads of members (likely from throughout their history).

Really wish I had my E list right now as I can’t remember the ones I got stuck on :(

• Like 1

Just working my way through.

Deep River Boys - good luck with that one, almost half the original lot left in 1956, the very year they had their hit, so it's almost impossible to decipher whether those that left were on the record. Ronnie Bright's discography doesn't seem to include That's Right, which means it's likely to be his predecessor. Might need more searching.

Dream Weavers - I can't copy the image from the page, so here is a link, quite clearly the seven you correctly mention on the hit. http://www.45cat.com/record/ed2376 see the image half way down the page for the sleeve notes. I'll have a further root around on this one now.

Jumping to M... any information on Suzi Miller? She sang Happy Days and Lonely Nights in 1955. On IMDb she is credited as Suzy Miller but there is no sign of a birth or death date. This website has some nice photos from her weightlifting days but again, no indication of her whereabouts. It does mention that she performed as Renee Lister during the war. And she's not Kenneth Cope's wife.

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Just working my way through.

Deep River Boys - good luck with that one, almost half the original lot left in 1956, the very year they had their hit, so it's almost impossible to decipher whether those that left were on the record. Ronnie Bright's discography doesn't seem to include That's Right, which means it's likely to be his predecessor. Might need more searching.

Dream Weavers - I can't copy the image from the page, so here is a link, quite clearly the seven you correctly mention on the hit. http://www.45cat.com/record/ed2376 see the image half way down the page for the sleeve notes. I'll have a further root around on this one now.

I think I cracked the Deep River Boys after a few hours of searching. It’s in my notes somewhere!

Yes, saw that sleeve image earlier. What is bizarre is that Wade H Buff and Mary Rude appear on Ancestry (marriage and census records) up until a certain point and then they just disappear into thin air! The top comment on one of their YouTube vids (may be the one I linked) is from someone claiming to be Wade’s daughter saying that he died 12 years ago – this comment was posted 4 years ago so that puts his death around 2002. Incredible that there is little to no info on them given that they scored a top hit on both sides of the Atlantic!

• Like 1

Hm, interesting... found a 2015 video of Wade Buff:

Video evidence is of course more compelling evidence than the YouTube comment. The YT comment said "It's Almost Tomorrow" was written while the commenter's dad was stationed in Germany, which doesn't match up with the biographies of the Dream Weavers that state Adkinson and Buff wrote "It's Almost Tomorrow" in high school.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Jumping to M... any information on Suzi Miller? She sang Happy Days and Lonely Nights in 1955. On IMDb she is credited as Suzy Miller but there is no sign of a birth or death date. This website has some nice photos from her weightlifting days but again, no indication of her whereabouts. It does mention that she performed as Renee Lister during the war. And she's not Kenneth Cope's wife.

Thanks for pointing this out. I may have confused her with the Suzy Miller b. 1949 on Wiki! 

The Collins book in front of me says she was born “Renee Lester”, though it’s full of spelling mistakes (literally on just about every artist!) so Lister is probably correct. As that’s her real name, the GRO is a good place to start. If you had just one other piece of info (such as her age in any given year, or a husband) then you could probably identify her quickly. Without that it will be hard.

4 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Hm, interesting... found a 2015 video of Wade Buff:

Video evidence is of course more compelling evidence than the YouTube comment. The YT comment said "It's Almost Tomorrow" was written while the commenter's dad was stationed in Germany, which doesn't match up with the biographies of the Dream Weavers that state Adkinson and Buff wrote "It's Almost Tomorrow" in high school.

Thanks! Suppose that teaches me for using a YouTube comment without matching it on Ancestry. Explains why I couldn’t find anything! 

Dream Weavers:

Not sure if this is of any further help in tracing Wade Buff and Mary Rude Buff, I'd guess this shows some family if it is the right one: https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.buff/118

Lee Turner was alive and kicking in 2016, here's his boy's obit: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/lee-turner-iii-obituary?pid=180284860 and here's his homepage, however little biographicals to help: https://turnersong.weebly.com/about-us.html. Doesn't appear to have a copyright date on the page so who knows how up to date it is, however, I'd have thought the Jacksonville press would have reported his death as a bit of a local celebrity, and I can't find anything.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Dream Weavers:

Not sure if this is of any further help in tracing Wade Buff and Mary Rude Buff, I'd guess this shows some family if it is the right one: https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.buff/118

Lee Turner was alive and kicking in 2016, here's his boy's obit: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/lee-turner-iii-obituary?pid=180284860 and here's his homepage, however little biographicals to help: https://turnersong.weebly.com/about-us.html. Doesn't appear to have a copyright date on the page so who knows how up to date it is, however, I'd have thought the Jacksonville press would have reported his death as a bit of a local celebrity, and I can't find anything.

I mean it’s looking like they could all very well be alive (minus Adkinson). Considering they had their hit nearly 65 years ago, that’s pretty incredible in itself!

Sad however to see at least 3 of them have lost children of their own. :o

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I mean it’s looking like they could all very well be alive (minus Adkinson). Considering they had their hit nearly 65 years ago, that’s pretty incredible in itself!

Sad however to see at least 3 of them have lost children of their own. :o

Well, if the girls were university sophomores in say 1955 when recruited as per the sleeve notes, they'd all be around 19 or 20 in 1955, though I'm open to correction by the US contingent on here.

Gawd only knows about Sally Sanborn and Mary Carr's whereabouts. I'm guessing they were all in or from Florida, but folk get married and then you need the hubby's name.

• Like 1

Why isn’t this in extra curricular?  The creator admitted the purpose of this thread in his first post.  It wasn’t meant to fill a gap in our lists, rather a fun side project coming up w some memorable and/or obscure UK pop names.  Clearly every name mentioned in here is covered in other threads.

I've never received an answer to this as anything other than its moving the thread by a Moderator to where it belongs is a non answer.

SirC

• Like 1