Ulitzer95

UK Singles Chart

This has been absolutely wonderful to keep following.  Thank you for your Herculean effort!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

On how many 1980s top 75 singles does "This is a journey into sound" appear? I have some idea on top 30 singles, but not an exact figure, ha!

I'll give you the answer in about 2 years' time when I get there. If you still care by then.

• Like 1

Fantastic work indeed. :clap: And on a personal note, my interest in music charts/learning about the forgotten acts that was sparked by this thread has definitely been one of the key things keeping me sane during this long year, so extra thanks.

• Thanks 1

Also a salutary reminder of how shit most of 70s music was.  Although it really picked up towards the end of the decade.

1 hour ago, Grande Pablo said:

This has been absolutely wonderful to keep following.  Thank you for your Herculean effort!

Indeed, people have earned PhDs on less effort than has fueled this thread  :clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just listened to the sequence on YouTube. Got to admit, genuinely never heard it before today but I see it was popular on 80s hip-hop records and still sampled on a some tracks today.

Did you research the 80s top 30 then? Any surprises along the way e.g. people who didn't know had passed?

I have researched 1981 to 1988 (October).

My first TOTP theme team was very much "let's get one done" for 1980. One year I did discover someone had carked it earlier that year off radar and posted it here. But no real surprises for me as I tend to look out for them, being very much my era. That's not to say that some might still come as a surprise to some folk.

What does surprise me is that neither Joe Dolce nor Glenn Medeiros appear to have been assassinated. :lol:

• Haha 1

This for me is easily the best thread I've seen compiled in just over 8 months.:hatsoff:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Also a salutary reminder of how shit most of 70s music was.  Although it really picked up towards the end of the decade.

I like to listen to old American Top 40 1970s reruns each week. They are rollercoasters. Oftentimes you have a string of good or at least tolerable songs derailed by something stupid like Disco Duck or My Ding A Ling...

• Like 1

Superb effort @Ulitzer95, it's been a pleasure to help out in the latter stages a little, although my input has been fairly minimal in all honesty. Very interesting read, it's amazing the terrible stuff that can be found without leaving the Top 10, let alone in the lower reaches of the 50s or 60s... :lol:

• Like 1

On 29/02/2020 at 20:02, Ulitzer95 said:

The Coronets
Discogs UK vocal group, initially provided backing for Ray Burns, Sammes later formed The Mike Sammes Singers (which also included Gilmour and King)
Ross Gilmour no info available
Irene King no info available
Mike Sammes 19 Feb 1928 – 19 May 2001 (73) Guardian obit
Bill Shepherd 13 Jun 1927 – 02 Oct 1988 (61) Mention of death
Valerie Taylor no info available
24/09/1954 The Story of Tina #12 Released as Ronnie Harris with Eric Jupp and his Orchestra with The Coronets

26/08/1955 That's How a Love Song Was Born #14 Released as Ray Burns with Eric Jupp and his Orchestra and The Coronets
25/11/1955 Twenty Tiny Fingers #20
NB: Not to be confused with the U.S. group of the same name who recorded around this period. Lineups changed over time but the one I've sourced from this period comes from here and here.

Updated entry for birth and death details of Bill Shepherd.

Not sure why I missed him first time round. He was the same Bill Shepherd who worked with The Beatles and was an early producer for the Bee Gees. First thing he did after leaving The Coronets though was he joined the George Mitchell Minstrel act, awkwardly.

• Like 1

On 29/02/2020 at 20:16, Ulitzer95 said:

The Michael Sammes Singers
Wiki UK vocal group, also known as The Mike Sammes Singers, normally a sextet comprising of three males and three females, more than often they provided the backing vocals for other artists, O'Neill also had a hit as Whistling Jack Smith
Valerie Bain no info available
Marion Gay c. 1933 – 13 Dec 2019 (c. 86) Mention of death
Ross Gilmour no info available
Enid Hurd (aka Enid Heard) 16 Sep 1920 – 09 Jan 1994 (73) Mention of death
Irene King no info available
John O'Neill 02 Jan 1926 – May 1999 (73) Mention of death
Mike Redway (aka Michael Reddyhoff) 1940 – Living
Mike Sammes 19 Feb 1928 – 19 May 2001 (73) Guardian obit
Mel Todd c. 1933 – Living(?)
03/05/1957 Round and Round #30 Released as Jimmy Young with The Michael Sammes Singers
21/03/1958 To be Loved #14 Released as Malcolm Vaughan with The Michael Sammes Singers
18/04/1958 I May Never Pass This Way Again #27 Released as Ronnie Hilton with The Michael Sammes Singers
17/10/1958 More Than Ever (Come Prima) #5 Released as Malcolm Vaughan with The Michael Sammes Singers
09/01/1959 The World Outside #18 Released as Ronnie Hilton with The Michael Sammes Singers
27/02/1959 Little Drummer Boy #20 Released as Michael Flanders with The Michael Sammes Singers
01/01/1960 Starry Eyed #1 Released as Michael Holliday with The Michael Sammes Singers
15/12/1960 Donald Where's Your Troosers #37 Released as Andy Stewart with The Michael Sammes Singers
12/01/1961 A Scottish Soldier #19 Released as Andy Stewart with The Michael Sammes Singers
01/06/1961 The Battle's O'er #28 Released as Andy Stewart with The Michael Sammes Singers
26/03/1964 Unchained Melody #43 Released as Jimmy Young with The Michael Sammes Singers
15/09/1966 Somewhere My Love #22
12/07/1967 Somewhere My Love (re-release) #14
01/11/1967 Careless Hands #6 Released as Des O'Connor with The Michael Sammes Singers

NB: I don't think there's any way of finding out which members sung on particular records in the case of this group. As this book demonstrates, there were scores of members over the years and so above I've listed the "core" members who are mentioned most frequently.
NB2: Marion Gay still living 6 years ago as per top comment here. Can't find anything else though.

Updated entry for the December 2019 death of Marion Madden (née Gay) as per a tweet from her daughter here.

Record doesn't appear in the GRO (not all deaths from Q4 of 2019 have been added yet).

Mike Redway is still living. Yorkshire Evening Post article from 2016 on him here. I reckon there's a good chance that he's the last one still about.

EDIT: Maybe Redway isn't the last! Here's an early folk release from Mel Todd. The guy in the pic is the same one in some of the group photos of The Sammes Singers. Record sleeve says he is also a tenor and "born 25 years ago", it was released in 1958 so born c. 1933. Can't find his death record so could still be living at 87, or possibly moved back to Canada and died there (Ancestry lacks Canadian records).

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Updated entry for the December 2019 death of Marion Madden (née Gay) as per a tweet from her daughter here.
Record doesn't appear in the GRO (not all deaths from Q4 of 2019 have been added yet).
Mike Redway is still living. Yorkshire Evening Post article from 2016 on him here. I reckon there's a good chance that he's the last one still about.

Been trying to prove you wrong that Mike Redway is the last one left, without success. However, I can confirm Michael Reddyhoff was born in March q. 1940 in Leeds - confirmed by checking his parent's wedding (in the article he says Leonard and Margery).

image.png.5a9e2d3256febb040ec8f59fb62287a3.png image.png.8a2d5891653719332d6e622f37cfb6f6.png

By a similar method I'm pretty sure Marion Gay was born in December q. 1933 in Pontypridd (it's the only year remotely like the one you mention that fits her birth and just happens to match exactly). They're really tricky to track down because they're not obviously from one place, they just all ended up in London together. I'm suspecting given the name that Ross Gilmour is Scottish? The smallest clue I've found on Valerie Bain is this lineup for the Coronets which mentions a Valerie Taylor - I'm wondering if that's either her married name or her maiden name? I've not found anything to corroborate either though (a Valerie Bain marries a Taylor but it's in the 80s, which seems unlikely for something like that to have been updated on the page). Nothing for Irene King either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Been trying to prove you wrong that Mike Redway is the last one left, without success. However, I can confirm Michael Reddyhoff was born in March q. 1940 in Leeds - confirmed by checking his parent's wedding (in the article he says Leonard and Margery).

By a similar method I'm pretty sure Marion Gay was born in December q. 1933 in Pontypridd (it's the only year remotely like the one you mention that fits her birth and just happens to match exactly). They're really tricky to track down because they're not obviously from one place, they just all ended up in London together. I'm suspecting given the name that Ross Gilmour is Scottish? The smallest clue I've found on Valerie Bain is this lineup for the Coronets which mentions a Valerie Taylor - I'm wondering if that's either her married name or her maiden name? I've not found anything to corroborate either though (a Valerie Bain marries a Taylor but it's in the 80s, which seems unlikely for something like that to have been updated on the page). Nothing for Irene King either.

I already have Redway's birth? The internet says 1939 but I checked the records anyway and that's where I got 1940 from. ;)

Gay – I saw this also but I'm reluctant to add because 1) She latterly lived in Portsea, Hampshire 2) Her daughter now lives in Bognor Regis – neither of which have any proximity to Wales. When the GRO is updated in the next few months we should get a definite year. I might ping her daughter on Twitter and see if I can get anymore details. And who knows, maybe her mum was still latterly in touch with other members (they were together for about 4 decades so I would have thought so!). Maybe she can inform us if there are anymore survivors.

Gilmour – no idea. He's one of the most elusive despite being a staple for both groups for decades. He's on the far right of both pics below.

Valerie Taylor and/or Valerie Bain – I did consider that they may very well be the same person. I can't decide from the photos so tried to pull up a marriage certificate... only to find nothing! 

Perhaps someone with a better eye can tell me if these are the same person?

the-coronets-uk-pop-group-in-1.jpg.783ed377804ab5457e4178e2d8243a7b.jpg240square.jpeg.27114b825d24c212ae974d8190bbf6c8.jpeg

Left: The Coronets / Right: The Mike Sammes Singers

It's very disappointing that this group hasn't been well documented. They were literally on everything during the 50s and 60s, from Beatles records to Disney films (incl. Bedknobs and Broomsticks and The Aristocats!)

I wonder if Irene King is also the Irene King who sang with The Keynotes (with Pearl Carr), a close harmony vocal group who appeared on the radio programme Take It From Here. It would make sense if she was.

If so, she was 26 in 1951, married to a drummer called Johnny Wise and had a daughter Penny. (Penny Wise? What were they thinking?!!) https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/BBC-Annual/BBC-Year-Book-1951.pdf (search for "Irene"). Also https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9bEUAAAAIBAJ&pg=PA9&dq="Irene+King"+"The+Keynotes"&article_id=7170,1092892&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_j8vM3_vsAhWQecAKHZL6AdAQ6AEwAHoECAAQAg#v=onepage&q="Irene King" "The Keynotes"&f=false

Now according to this there's an Irene King died July 17, 1986: http://www.r2ok.co.uk/yearb.htm Would that tie in with our dame?

• Thanks 1

Here is a link to a better picture of The Keynotes: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/the-keynotes-close-harmony-singers-with-the-british-radio-news-photo/886667966?adppopup=true

Now Irene King is on the left. That's definitely the girl in The Coronets picture posted by @Ulitzer95 at the front on the left.

Solved?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I wonder if Irene King is also the Irene King who sang with The Keynotes (with Pearl Carr), a close harmony vocal group who appeared on the radio programme Take It From Here. It would make sense if she was.

If so, she was 26 in 1951, married to a drummer called Johnny Wise and had a daughter Penny. (Penny Wise? What were they thinking?!!) https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/BBC-Annual/BBC-Year-Book-1951.pdf (search for "Irene"). Also https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9bEUAAAAIBAJ&pg=PA9&dq="Irene+King"+"The+Keynotes"&article_id=7170,1092892&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_j8vM3_vsAhWQecAKHZL6AdAQ6AEwAHoECAAQAg#v=onepage&q="Irene King" "The Keynotes"&f=false

Now according to this there's an Irene King died July 17, 1986: http://www.r2ok.co.uk/yearb.htm Would that tie in with our dame?

Ok, it's late, so i'll try not to waffle, but this is her.

Firstly, I agree. The photos are a likeness because of her unique nose.

Secondly, I've found their marriage. Dear old Aunty be telling little white lies in the interest of "good taste" though because they wed c. June 1953 after the birth of their daughter! 
IRENE A KING + ROBERT J WISE / JUN 1953 / ISLINGTON

Using the age from the BBC 51 Annual, we get her birth record.
IRENE A KING / DEC 1925 / SHOREDITCH

Then we occur a slight problem – FreeBMD is missing 1000s of (mainly death) records from the 1980s. They are not on the GRO or Ancestry either. But there's another way around this. Google Irene King and Johnny Wise together and they actually recorded on a number of records together as per credits lists like this Harry Hayes discography. That list features pretty much all the same names listed on the link that gives King's death date. Convinced it's her now. Merci, added.

• Like 2

Went through the "Deathless Days" thread. Last post was Joey's one about Octobre 10th. Now it has added Dyan Birch, listed here as part of the band Arrival.

On 20/05/2020 at 04:51, Ulitzer95 said:

Arrival
Wiki UK pop rock band from Liverpool
Dyan Birch 25 Jan 1949 – 10 Oct 2020 (71) Obit
Carroll Carter 10 Jun 1948 – Living
Frank Collins 25 Oct 1947 – Living
Lloyd Courtenay 20 Dec 1947 – Living
Don Hume 31 Mar 1950 – Living
Paddy McHugh 28 Aug 1946 – Living
Tony O'Malley 15 Jul 1948 – Living
10/01/1970 Friends #8
06/06/1970 I Will Survive #16

Updated. Thanks @gcreptile.

• Thanks 1

Just completed 1988 for my TOTP teams.

Slog with all those house acid songs. I did not know that Hithouse had died way back in 1991, car jacked to the sound of the real underground!

Creeping into the chart in the last week of 1988 were A Tribe Of Toffs with John Kettley Is A Weatherman. One of those "whatever happened to...."

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Creeping into the chart in the last week of 1988 were A Tribe Of Toffs with John Kettley Is A Weatherman. One of those "whatever happened to...."

John Kettley or A Tribe of Toffs? :lol:

24 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

John Kettley or A Tribe of Toffs? :lol:

The Toffs.

Kettley was on summat recently, not worried about him, lol.

• Haha 1

On 29/02/2020 at 20:13, Ulitzer95 said:

Des O'Connor 12 Jan 1932 – 14 Nov 2020 (88) Guardian obit
Wiki UK singer, comedian and television presenter, worked as a Butlin's redcoat before starting his career on stage, awarded a CBE in 2008, known as the host of Today with Des and Mel, Countdown and Take Your Pick
01/11/1967 Careless Hands #6 Released as Des O'Connor with The Mike Sammes Singers
08/05/1968 I Pretend #1
20/11/1968 1-2-3 O'Leary #4
07/05/1969 Dick-A-Dum-Dum (King's Road) #14
29/11/1969 Loneliness #18

Updated.

On 12/11/2020 at 20:42, YoungWillz said:

The Toffs.

Kettley was on summat recently, not worried about him, lol.

Does it worry you more that it was 'Pointless Celebrities' he was on?

• Haha 1

On 11/09/2020 at 03:45, Ulitzer95 said:

Liverpool F.C.
Wiki UK football club, formed in Anfield, Liverpool in 1892, this record comprised of players from the 1976–77 FA Cup Final team, forward Kevin Keegan also released a solo record in 1979 – he was awarded an OBE in 1982, Emlyn Hughes was awarded an OBE in 1980, Ian Callaghan was awarded an MBE in 1974, Tommy Smith was awarded an MBE in 1978, Ray Clemence was awarded an MBE in 1987
Ian Callaghan 10 Apr 1942 – Living
Jimmy Case 18 May 1954 – Living

Ray Clemence 05 Aug 1948 – 15 Nov 2020 (72) Telegraph obit
David Fairclough 05 Jan 1957 – Living
Steve Heighway 25 Nov 1947 – Living

Emlyn Hughes 28 Aug 1947 – 09 Nov 2004 (57) Guardian obit
David Johnson 23 Oct 1951 – Living
Joey Jones 04 Mar 1955 – Living
Kevin Keegan 14 Feb 1951 – Living
Ray Kennedy 28 Jul 1951 – Living
Terry McDermott 08 Dec 1951 – Living
Phil Neal 20 Feb 1951 – Living

Tommy Smith 05 Apr 1945 – 12 Apr 2019 (74) Guardian obit
Alan Waddle 09 Jun 1954 – Living
28/05/1977 We Can do it (EP) #15

Updated for the death of Clemence.

31 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Does it worry you more that it was 'Pointless Celebrities' he was on?

Dunno if it was that I saw him on tbh. Was more worried about Ian MacCaskill, and I was unfortunately proved right.

22 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Updated for the death of Clemence.

Ray Clemence also appeared on the 1982 Englandshire World Cup Squad song This Time (We'll Get It Right). Which they didn't.

• Like 1