CastAway

Notable Coronavirus Victims

31 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I'm starting to get a bit scared of this thing.I've never felt like that about anything before. I'm almost resigned to memebrs of my family dying from it. I have diabetes so I'm at risk. I don't really care about myself, but it worries m e to death that my elderly  parents might get it. Anyone else feel the same way ?

Try to stay cool. There is a lot of panic going on which triggers more panic. Anyone who becomes infected despite all protective measures, in general has a 99% chance of survival.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, drol said:

Reasonably vaccine will be there before autumn. And before that probably specific drugs to cure it. It won't last forever. 

But Italy has been in hell for weeks and still struggles to see a way out. Countries like Spain, France, UK, USA not only are at the beginning, but they are not taking it seriously enough (it also happened here, and tomorrow we'll mark 2000 deaths). Germany and Scandinavians are more serious and I think they won't sustain the same damage. 

South Korea seems to have found a way out.We all have to follow their example ! 

20 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

South Korea seems to have found a way out.We all have to follow their example ! 

S. Korea's infection cluster started in a church/cult with younger members, so the people infected were younger than the 'danger zone.' For an unknown reason, looks like the same is happening in Germany.

Still a lower mortality rate in S. Korea than expected, but one of the main reasons for the controllability isn't exactly something replicable.

Source:
https://medium.com/@andreasbackhausab/coronavirus-why-its-so-deadly-in-italy-c4200a15a7bf

19 minutes ago, CastAway said:

For an unknown reason, looks like the same is happening in Germany.

My explanation: We like to lock away our old people alone and in care homes. The mediterranean culture keeps them in society.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

My explanation: We like to lock away our old people alone and in care homes. The mediterranean culture keeps them in society.

True but when it hits nursing and care homes then it will get worse very quickly.

• Like 1

Once they lock the  70 plus brigade away in splendid isolation  I reckon some will die and not be discovered until the postman notices a nasty stench emanating from the letter box of said old person’s abode.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Reasonably vaccine will be there before autumn. And before that probably specific drugs to cure it. It won't last forever. 

But Italy has been in hell for weeks and still struggles to see a way out. Countries like Spain, France, UK, USA not only are at the beginning, but they are not taking it seriously enough (it also happened here, and tomorrow we'll mark 2000 deaths). Germany and Scandinavians are more serious and I think they won't sustain the same damage. 

Current estimates are that a vaccine will take 12-18 months

• Like 1

China releases the name of its first corona virus victim.  

Ah Chu. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 19

8 hours ago, roaming_comrade said:

And that's w/o the level of stringent testing that current vaccines have gone through. Not that there's any alternative, because one academic paper i saw said that level would take a decade, but just in case you want to prepare yourselves for the inevitable anti-vaxxers from now.

11 hours ago, roaming_comrade said:

No. Due to pandemic status it will be much quicker, as many trials won't be carried out. 

Some more over in Iran:

Hashem Bathaie Golpayenagi, Grand Ayatollah and politician, dead at 78-79. One of those would have chosen the new Supreme Leader once Khamenei kicks the bucket

https://news-24.fr/un-haut-dignitaire-religieux-iranien-parmi-ceux-charges-de-choisir-le-chef-supreme-succombe-a-une-infection-a-coronavirus/ (French obit)

Nasser Shabani, brigadier general in the Revolutionary Guard

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/iranian-gen-shabani-dies-from-coronavirus/1765725

• Thanks 1

Universal Music Chairman Lucian Grainge hospitalized for COVID.

3 hours ago, drol said:

No. Due to pandemic status it will be much quicker, as many trials won't be carried out. 

Think I'll take my chances with the virus, then, thank you very much.

3 hours ago, drol said:

I've got bad news though. The 12-18 months are without the many safety precautions and trials. With them it would take 5-10 years.

13 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

I've got bad news though. The 12-18 months are without the many safety precautions and trials. With them it would take 5-10 years.

That's what he said.

25 minutes ago, Toast said:

That's what he said.

Nope he assumed that the 12-18 months was the time it would take for a vaccine with all precautions and without it, it would be 4 weeks or something.

Didn't say 4 weeks at all. Said 6-7 months. If big US are scared once it works on monkeys will be a few tests on human and then all available. Already works well on mice, they are currently working on monkeys.

8 minutes ago, drol said:

Didn't say 4 weeks at all. Said 6-7 months. If big US are scared once it works on monkeys will be a few tests on human and then all available. Already works well on mice, they are currently working on monkeys.

I'll find the article at some point, but there's a vaccine trial going live on humans within the week w/o any animal trials. Assuming that works, it's still a 12-18 month wait for approval for the shot.

It is sooo much diffused in the US already. Surely actors or politicians who meet a large number of people every day are more likely to get infected.

I know we say this a lot with a grain of salt but the words "It's coming nearer" should be taken more serious. The Deathlist site is more or less a tongue in cheek site not to be taken too serious, but now I myself feel I'm at risk. I'm not in the key Demograph that's to serious in danger (old people or people with underlying illnesses) but last week I stayed in a hotel in the Province of North Brabant in the Netherlands. This province is the hot spot in the Netherlands and any cough you make over there gets you a suspicious look, even though you might be suffering from an innocent flu. 

As of this week all restaurants and cafe's are closed. Hotels are still open but the restaurant part of them is not. So getting something to eat is already a challenge if you're not at home. Schools are shut so people with children are more or less force to take care of their children now they are at home. I already had to fill in for someone else (I don't have children) who had to stay home. 

Stay save everyone.....

• Like 2

The former head of Milan's Jewish community, Michele Sciama died from coronavirus on Monday. He was 79.